Emily and Cosette?
Hanners, Emily and Cosette?
Marigold, Dale and Momo
Any combination of the above
None of the above - Jeph will surprise us with a week of Guest Comics
A week at The Secret Bakery
Purple Gorilla Dishwasher (RIP HARAMBE)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3296 to 3300 (29 August - 02 September 2016)  (Read 30998 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Whose Next??!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Whose what next?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Who's line is it anyway?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Jeph has dropped spoilers that tells me that next week is mostly Clinton trying not to be creepy, failing and Brun failing to pick up on the fact that he's being creepy (mostly because she's literal enough to see the intent beyond the social fumbling). It isn't beyond the bounds of possibility that we might have an interlude at CoD too.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Clubman8

• Plantmonster
  • Probably will never post enough to seem not new.

I'd like to go back to Marigold, Dale, and Momo but that isn't going to happen. :/

So I also picked Clinton and Brun.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Ex-girlfriend gives current girlfriend advice.  Cute!

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

Nice to see Dora learned something from the debacle. Of course, for most of us it's easier to know the right move than to make it.
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2016, 20:46 by sitnspin »
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Dammit. My sarcasm detector unit failed again.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

heyjames4

• Balloon animal serial killer

It would be neat to see Dora and Claire interact more.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else

I'm cool with just more dick and butt jokes. I'm a man of simple tastes.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Penquin47

Dammit. My sarcasm detector unit failed again.

Not sarcastic.  I think it's cute, and it's good to see.

Timemaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Master of Time

Nice one, Dora.  :-D
Claire needed this fullstop badly.

Hmm, we´ve seen a lot of Claires manipulative side in her last appearances. Thinking of it, I think that we have seen almost nothing else but her beeing pushy or manipulative. Mostly with Clinton, which we are used to. But she also tried her tricks with Marten. And I wonder if there is something more behind this. I don´t think she´s this way all day, which would make her rather unbearable. But I wonder if Jeph is trying to take her character in some direction by only showing her behaving this way.

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

Tova

• coprophage

I feel like we're seeing Four Aspects of Claire©.

Panel one: Confident Claire
Panel two: Uncertain Claire
Panel three: Truculent Claire
Panel four: Epiphanous Claire

With secret panel five: newly confident Claire, completing the cycle.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage

I don't think that we've ever actually had 'on screen' interaction between Dora and Claire before (for various narrative reasons, the person in CoD was usually either Faye or Hannelore). It's interesting how Jeph has chosen to handle this and it's possibly a new use of Dora. She's really been more mature and sensible with everyone except herself for a while now and you could see her emerging as the wise sage and authority figure amongst the female characters. If nothing else, Tai has really helped her grow up.

Meanwhile, I really think that Jeph enjoyed drawing Claire today. Panel 1 is an angle on her that I've not seen before.

Ladies, just out of interest - How many of you think that awkward guys are cute? Not a scientific analysis, of course, but we might as well see how common is Dora and Claire's preference in men!
~~~~

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

Well played, Dora!

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU

Nice one, Dora.  :-D
Claire needed this fullstop badly.

Hmm, we´ve seen a lot of Claires manipulative side in her last appearances. Thinking of it, I think that we have seen almost nothing else but her beeing pushy or manipulative. Mostly with Clinton, which we are used to. But she also tried her tricks with Marten. And I wonder if there is something more behind this. I don´t think she´s this way all day, which would make her rather unbearable. But I wonder if Jeph is trying to take her character in some direction by only showing her behaving this way.

TM

Probably because the narrative parallel is between Claire and Renee and how their best intentioned treatment of their close friends/ siblings accidentally stifles the growth of said loved ones.

heyjames4

Also, what's Dora holding in panel one?

brasca

• Scrabble hacker

Glad someone was finally observant enough to say it. 

I'm willing to cut Clinton some slack since he's not all that different from a cast of characters that lack social skills.

BlueFatima

I find it interesting that Dora is giving really great advice to Claire about how to not be enmeshed with her brother. Counseling and having a compatible love has really done the worlds for Dora!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I'm cool with just more dick and butt jokes. I'm a man of simple tastes.

Dicks and butts are quite simple, but unique tastes.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

retrosteve

• Very slow tourist

I came here to ask that. I think she's just plucked out a longish nose hair and is examining it. But less-gross interpretations are welcome!
Thinks too much.

BenRG

• coprophage

The problem is that there may not be a 'less gross explanation'! :-o
~~~~

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Until proven otherwise, my head canon is it's a grey hair.  Hers.

Probably where the sudden influx of wisdom came from.

Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

But then she plucked it, so... back to baseline? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Timemaster

• Master of Time

It´s one of Pintsizes pubic hairs, he left it on the counter when he tried to fuck the espresso machine again.

Less gross enough?  :-D

*duck and cover*

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Loved this interaction. It could have easily been confrontational or defensive because of their relationships with Marten but it was friendly and helpful.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Nicely done Dora.  Kept Claire from interrupting Brun and Clinton

I'm wondering waht that i she's holding as well.  Looks like a pin or something similar.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

And now I see Brün and Clinton teaming up in No Man's Sky...
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Ever.Green434

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

This has been mentioned in a few other places, but I wonder what you guys think; is Jeph refocusing the comic on Clinton and Brun and Faye? Do you think it's a good idea? No 'this is how it would work', or long debates. But I wonder what other's think.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

I see the two leaning back to back in the park faces buried in their phones furiously typing away.

About what? I have no idea. What are their interests? Is there any overlap outside of their mutual social anxiety?
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Tova

• coprophage

This has been mentioned in a few other places, but I wonder what you guys think; is Jeph refocusing the comic on Clinton and Brun and Faye? Do you think it's a good idea? No 'this is how it would work', or long debates. But I wonder what other's think.

Any change is bound to please some and displease others.

In this case, I think a different focus was necessary to avoid a rut of "good thing happens to Marten" followed by "bad thing happens to Marten" ad infinitum.

It's also good, I think, for Jeph to have a few ongoing stories up his sleeve to choose from when inspiration strikes.

Jub3r7

• Not quite a lurker
  • We'll burn that bridge when we come to it

Is it just me or is Brun's hair getting... just a little floofier in each panel?

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Is it just me or is Brun's hair getting... just a little floofier in each panel?

Welp, that's how their world is gonna end. An exponential increase of hair floof.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Which is why this is not the same universe as Alice Grove. Alice's world ended in a Blink, not a Floof.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

I can think of worse ways to go.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Must be humid, my hair (while I still had some) used to just explode once the humidity reached a certain %.
Now it's my beard that goes POOF.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Penquin47

I did not know that there was a name for ASMR.  Yay, I learned something useful today!

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog

I am WITH you on that, Clinton. I don't totally mind getting phone calls, but I way prefer texting to talking. I say less stupid shit when it passes through that phone-keyboard filter
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

I don't like talking on the phone, either. I love talking in person, though. I have a history of mental health issues, including auditory hallucinations. Talking on the phone has always been far too close to that experience for my comfort.
@syleegrrl

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

My ears just apparently don't work when using a phone. Though it's harder for me to concentrate when there's not a visual aspect to something, so maybe that's it. Attention problems are fun until they aren't.

BenRG

• coprophage

Yeah, phone calls make me anxious too. Indeed, verbal communication and face-to-face interaction make me anxious but that's because I'm something of an introvert. Texting has... well, it depersonalises communication somewhat. It somewhat reduces the social anxiety of it and let's you focus on information transmission.

What's cute about this strip is the way Brun and Clinton turn out to have similar hang-ups. I think that Renee would feel a lot less worried about Brun if she knew just how socially awkward Clinton is!

Panel 1 makes me wonder that Brun is going to feel obliged to at least look into taking up curling because she owns a curling jacket. Either that or she'll throw away the jacket because she doesn't want to take up curling!

I don't think so. There may be some strip-to-strip variations but you can shrug that off as just being how Jeph chose to draw her hair on that day.

I've thought that Jeph has been trying to refocus  the strip for a while (in retrospect, he has been since as far back as when he introduced Bubbles). Is it a good idea? Well, nothing in art can stay static and endure. You have to be continually attempt to change and move forwards. In a narrative sense, I think that he decided that he just doesn't have much to say about Marten or Dora anymore so he's moved on to tell different stories. This always happens with long-running titles.
~~~~

Y

• Curry sauce

So did she recover the phone number that was destroyed in the shower or did they just exchange numbers?

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!

Another phone-simularity!

As for the shift of focus in Questionable content; I like it a lot. Several interesting storylines are lurking in the wings (Faye-Miss Bubbles and Brun-Clinton of course, but there is also the -granted not very dramatic but very entertaining- growing -so sorry for the pun- friendship between Momo and Sam, May's development, Miss Augustus' cougaring and of course Veronica and Jim's new household).

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

So did she recover the phone number that was destroyed in the shower or did they just exchange numbers?

I presume they just did it - it would be a boring panel to include.

Brun pokes her phone with her forefinger, like I do.  But I thought that the serious texters of the modern generation use their thumbs like my grandchildren do.  How do you text?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I just had to get used to these new phones. I've had the same phone for 7 years and it had a keyboard. I miss my keyboard.

Doc

When does the sexy start?
Brun does have 'the firm cushion' model.

(Moderator here -- PM on the way)
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2016, 05:49 by Is it cold in here? »

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.

Brun pokes her phone with her forefinger, like I do.  But I thought that the serious texters of the modern generation use their thumbs like my grandchildren do.  How do you text?

Reluctantly. And with my thumb.

If I had a touch screen I'd use my little finger, though.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I presume they just did it - it would be a boring panel to include.

OK, I'm choosing to misinterpret this and be shocked!  :-o  :claireface:
What do you know about Pokémon?

freeman

Panel 1 makes me wonder that Brun is going to feel obliged to at least look into taking up curling because she owns a curling jacket. Either that or she'll throw away the jacket because she doesn't want to take up curling!

I think it's the echoing thing some autists do.
Man!

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

It took me a moment to notice Brun is already typing another message, as the first one arrived in the penultimate panel. Yay!
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up