Faye
Bubbles
Corpse Witch
Marten
Space Ham
Pie
Nope

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3311 - 3315 (Sept 19th - 24th)  (Read 50166 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
Re: WCDT Strips 3311 - 3315 (Sept 19th - 24th)
« Reply #250 on: 23 Sep 2016, 13:52 »

I think that this is either going to end with CW in cuffs on her way to AI Prison

Or very nastily

For whom, I have no idea
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #251 on: 23 Sep 2016, 14:19 »

Do you think Corpse Witch is somehow involved in either human or AI trafficking?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #252 on: 23 Sep 2016, 16:19 »

Do you really think that police coercing criminals to turn on their higher ups is reprehensible? I consider it good policing.

Nobody is safe if coerced testimony is allowed in the system. Informants are dangerous as hell to the innocent. See the Orange County jailhouse informant scandal or the Cameron Todd Willingham case.

The Pugnacious Peach would never turn in a friend, certainly not an innocent one. She would never consent to setting up an innocent person. There are lots of criminals out there who have less character than Faye. If they are career informants they have to keep producing in order to stay free. Creating informants by arm-twisting is fraught with peril whether you think it reprehensible or not.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #253 on: 23 Sep 2016, 17:29 »

I'm not sure that Faye has actually committed any crime. Morally, she hasn't, and if we're re going to play the legal game, then things like admissibility of evidence, chain of custody etc come in. Technicalities.

I'm also starting to wonder if CW is ex-police. Certainly she has the talent to be a good detective. Good as in effective, not good as in moral.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #254 on: 23 Sep 2016, 17:34 »

I'm sure Faye could be prosecuted under one of those vague "conspiracy" charges:
"If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him." Cardinal Richelieu (disputed).

If the kitchen door is unlocked and they know you even moderately well they'll sometimes just let themselves in and say "hi!". I was SO startled the first time I found an unexpected person in the kitchen. I knew the person and knew she was ok to be there, but... damn.
I think that's very much a rural/urban divide. As a big-city girl from birth, I would never ever leave the outside doors of my dwelling unlocked.

Has there been any indication in the comic that Corpse Witch isn't her name?
It sounds like a nom de metiér, much like the ring-names of wrestlers, but we don't know much about how AIs are named in QC-verse, or what they consider their "real names", especially since their "self" can be independent of the chassis they currently occupy, so the equivalent of a MAC-address would not apply. As someone with different "inner" and "outer" names, I can relate.
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2016, 17:41 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #255 on: 23 Sep 2016, 17:40 »

I think that this is either going to end with CW in cuffs on her way to AI Prison

She gets killed and comes back as Corpse Lich.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #256 on: 23 Sep 2016, 18:28 »

Yes I could see her returning to give Bubbles some problems after seemingly dying.  Bubbles asks who she is.  And she will reply,
"I told you it's CL.  Short for Corpse Lich.  Well couldn't very wall continue calling myself the Corpse Witch now could I." 

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #257 on: 23 Sep 2016, 18:39 »

"Isn't Corpse Lich kind of ... redundant?"
"I've always hated you, you know."
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #258 on: 23 Sep 2016, 18:40 »

Quote from: Akima
conspiracy

Absolutely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_(criminal)#United_States
You can be executed for murder even if you didn't know your partner in crime was going to kill someone: http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2016-08-12/death-watch-executing-texas-law-of-parties/

If Corpse Witch has a drug business on the side then Faye's only hope is to get a merciful prosecutor.

Anyone notice that Faye and Bubbles have intense loyalty as a trait in common? They could wind up as tight friends.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #259 on: 23 Sep 2016, 18:45 »

Yes I could see her returning to give Bubbles some problems after seemingly dying.  Bubbles asks who she is.  And she will reply,
"I told you it's CL.  Short for Corpse Lich.  Well couldn't very wall continue calling myself the Corpse Witch now could I."

Now imagine that being said by Momo's old chassis.
[assuming she chose it for how innocent it looks and for its tazer capability]
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #260 on: 23 Sep 2016, 18:45 »

Anyone notice that Faye and Bubbles have intense loyalty as a trait in common? They could wind up as tight friends.

I think that's already happened.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #261 on: 23 Sep 2016, 18:46 »

I'm not sure that Faye has actually committed any crime. Morally, she hasn't, and if we're re going to play the legal game, then things like admissibility of evidence, chain of custody etc come in. Technicalities.

I'm also starting to wonder if CW is ex-police. Certainly she has the talent to be a good detective. Good as in effective, not good as in moral.

At the very minimum Faye has violated federal law by accepting undocumented wages.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #262 on: 23 Sep 2016, 18:53 »

That was...8-)...masterfully done.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #263 on: 23 Sep 2016, 20:27 »

Interesting that Officer Lilac chooses to talk with Faye father than someone else at the skate park. She has good intel. She's carefully probing for weaknesses. And Corpse Witch knows it. She has good intel. She knows that Bubbles has been coming out of her shell, and engaging in a life beyond CW's control. Thanks to Faye, who is the real disruptive influence here.
Why the sudden interest in the skate park? I suspect that someone Higher Up will be up for re-election soon. Which does not mean that Officer Lilac is not disgusted by what the Big Fish are doing.
As for the favorite wrench, Doctor Faye knows a two ton bolted-to-the floor AI who can make it as good as new.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #264 on: 23 Sep 2016, 21:13 »

Do you really think that police coercing criminals to turn on their higher ups is reprehensible? I consider it good policing.

Nobody is safe if coerced testimony is allowed in the system. Informants are dangerous as hell to the innocent. See the Orange County jailhouse informant scandal or the Cameron Todd Willingham case.

The Pugnacious Peach would never turn in a friend, certainly not an innocent one. She would never consent to setting up an innocent person. There are lots of criminals out there who have less character than Faye. If they are career informants they have to keep producing in order to stay free. Creating informants by arm-twisting is fraught with peril whether you think it reprehensible or not.

You can't rely on it alone, you need good evidence that corroborates, but there are lots of pretty bad people who would never get caught if the police wasn't allowed to put pressure on people lower down the food chain.

I mean, by all rights, if it is well known, the detective could have hauled Faye in RIGHT THEN. But she didn't. She pointed out that she could, but she didn't. Yeah, that is very stressful for Faye. But it is supposed to be. And Faye put herself in this position. When you do illegal things, you make yourself a target for police investigation. And a police officer pointing out "hey, you are doing something illegal, I could arrest you." is hardly unsurprising.

This is in the same level of threat as when someone is screwing up at work and the manager calls them in and says if they screw up again they are fired. You either do what I want (stop screwing up your job/turn over evidence) or face the logical consequences of your action (get fired/go to jail).

This isn't like threatening someone with something that isn't the known societal consequences of the actions they took.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #265 on: 23 Sep 2016, 21:40 »

I don't get your reference, but I was referring to Dr. Who meeting his long time nemesis again. 

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #266 on: 23 Sep 2016, 22:08 »

Yet you ignored my response acknowledging this.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #267 on: 23 Sep 2016, 22:40 »

You know what they say, give them an inch and they'll take a Valeyard.

oh god

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #268 on: 23 Sep 2016, 22:42 »

My discomfort with Faye getting her arm twisted comes largely from the fact that she's not doing anything wrong, just illegal things. If she were working at a chop shop or collecting debts for a loan shark I'd feel a lot more comfortable with the pressure. In this case even the police officer described the fight club as "barely even a crime".

It's also scary to read about her fictional situation after reading up on real-life injustices.

Good: Faye gets an immunity deal through her attorney and wears a wire to gather truthful evidence about, say, human trafficking.

Bad: Faye falls into the hands of a cop who demands information with which to pad his arrest numbers and who doesn't care whether it's true. Then gets arrested in violation of the deal, something that does happen in real life.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Rincewind

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad
« Reply #269 on: 23 Sep 2016, 23:09 »

Could Corpse Witch's real name be...HANK?    :-o
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #270 on: 23 Sep 2016, 23:14 »

I knew you knew, but Tova didn't know.  And whatever Tova was referring to I didn't know.  You know?   :?

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #271 on: 24 Sep 2016, 01:46 »

Some gobshite is selling a ripoff of Hannelore's chotto latte shirt

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/695341-chotto-latte-kudasai

I've emailed Jeph.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #272 on: 24 Sep 2016, 04:07 »

Hard to think anything could be quite so disastrous for Corpse Witches career than a cop who's been keeping an eye on the skate park mysteriously disappearing.

And grief, the comments on this thread sure make me glad I don't live in the US.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #273 on: 24 Sep 2016, 05:23 »

I don't get your reference, but I was referring to Dr. Who meeting his long time nemesis again.

Sorry I wasn't clear, but I was responding to the first person who mentioned "Corpse Lich," not your post.

I also wasn't trying to make a reference. You didn't miss anything.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #274 on: 24 Sep 2016, 08:50 »

Hard to think anything could be quite so disastrous for Corpse Witches career than a cop who's been keeping an eye on the skate park mysteriously disappearing.

And grief, the comments on this thread sure make me glad I don't live in the US.

You sure it's not happening in your country, but without any scrutiny?

I once long ago wondered why I wasn't hearing about bizarre abuses from other countries. Akima said it might be one of America's strengths at work -- when it happens here, we have a chance of knowing about it.

I lead a pretty safe life in the US. It can be done if you live in a good area, stay a million miles from the drug scene, and have the sheer luck not to be in a marginalized minority.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #275 on: 24 Sep 2016, 09:17 »

I feel as if Bubbles is also implying that horrors previously unheard of could visit CW at any point as well.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #276 on: 24 Sep 2016, 11:45 »

Okay, by the numbers: 

Asking a vet to kill a police officer, in defense of a low-level gambling operation, would be idiotic.  Vets, even employed in illegal enterprises, respect police officers and killing one would be Dishonorable. If CW doesn't understand this, and is covering up or fleeing from something drastically more criminal than the skatepark, then she may have just been that idiotic, but if so it raises her personal risk from Bubbles getting violent more than it does that of Officer Lilac, and she ought to realize that.  It's not the sort of thing she'd ask if she intended to be around Bubbles much longer.

Having a cop killed is not something you do unless you fear being caught for something with a penalty equal to or greater than that of a cop killer - which mostly boils down to serial murder, or running an enterprise in which you have committed or ordered multiple previous murders.  In a few states large-scale drug dealing where there have been multiple deaths from overdoses or drug violence will do it.  This doesn't describe the skatepark operation but who knows what else CW is doing, has done, or what the semi-illegal skatepark may be a front for.

Also, CW is likely to have means of escaping much more reliable and less risky than any possible hit on a police officer.  This may involve faking her own death and murdering one of the other AI at the skatepark to have his/her drive replaced with her own and taking over his/her life.  She may have even done something like that before. Why do you think they call her 'Corpse Witch' after all?  Officer Lilac may be investigating an earlier murder, or several.

Posing as one of the employees she most likely wouldn't even face jail time or back taxes, and might be off parole in 60 days or less.  This kind of murder is MUCH less likely to be detected (hence much less risky) than a hit on a police officer and MUCH more likely to solve long-term problems because nobody is going to be trying to prosecute CW's crimes if they think CW is dead.

This leads to an utterly horrible scenario.  The easiest and most advantageous of lives to take over is that of a repair mechanic who rarely goes out, has few friends or attachments outside the skatepark, and who probably wouldn't even be prosecuted because if she hasn't even been getting paid, she'd be treated as victim rather than criminal and released immediately.  This would be a plausible reason why CW has been pressuring Bubbles to NOT develop interests and friendships outside the park; such attachments would make her life more difficult to take over.  Finally, the easiest murder to plan and execute is the murder of someone who relies on systems you ultimately control for functions such as power recharge, replacement parts, and backups.

And that leads to another utterly horrible scenario.  The main barrier to taking over Bubbles' life - the main risk of being caught - is the attachments Bubbles has formed outside the skatepark.  Attachments whose death would then become a means of reducing risk.

I'm a suspicious bastard.  When dealing with known crooks, it's the best policy.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #277 on: 24 Sep 2016, 14:20 »

You do realize that she wouldn't be able to put the AI drive into the new chassis herself, right? She'd need a third party to move the drive from her chassis to the other robot's, even if she was able to convince the other robot to allow its drive to be removed somehow.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #278 on: 24 Sep 2016, 14:36 »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #279 on: 24 Sep 2016, 14:43 »

You do realize that she wouldn't be able to put the AI drive into the new chassis herself, right? She'd need a third party to move the drive from her chassis to the other robot's, even if she was able to convince the other robot to allow its drive to be removed somehow.

Non-sentient machines still exist in the QCverse.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

dreed

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #280 on: 24 Sep 2016, 15:48 »

At least we know that Faye will not go to jail as she is a friend with a person who can order orbital strike with a pizza.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #281 on: 24 Sep 2016, 16:18 »

At least we know that Faye will not go to jail as she is a friend with a person who can order orbital strike with a pizza.

Not only that, but Hanners is also the daughter of the man who helped create AI.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #282 on: 24 Sep 2016, 16:26 »

Plus her mom probably owns the Attorney General.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #283 on: 24 Sep 2016, 18:27 »

I lead a pretty safe life in the US. It can be done if you live in a good area, stay a million miles from the drug scene, and have the sheer luck not to be in a marginalized minority.

If you are privileged, in other words.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #284 on: 24 Sep 2016, 18:53 »

Oohh, here's a horrible thought.

What if the "big fish" is Hannermom?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

wlewisiii

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #285 on: 24 Sep 2016, 18:54 »

Doubtful for the simple reason that I can't see Jeph going all "LA Confidential/Chinatown" on the strip  :-o
Emily is the Avatar.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #286 on: 24 Sep 2016, 18:58 »

I can't see it. I mean, I imagine Hannermom is the kind of person who has a series of trapdoors in their office, just to get rid of those annoying nuisances, like interns, failed accountants and police officers with arrest warrants.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #287 on: 24 Sep 2016, 20:39 »

I can't see it. I mean, I imagine Hannermom is the kind of person who has a series of trapdoors in their office, just to get rid of those annoying nuisances, like interns, failed accountants and police officers with arrest warrants.

So it's implausible if Corpse Witch has the cop killed, but not Hannelore's mother?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #288 on: 24 Sep 2016, 20:51 »

So it's implausible if Corpse Witch has the cop killed, but not Hannelore's mother?

Who said anything about Hannermom killing the cop? I'm talking about Mr Burns style trapdoors.

But to your question; as far as we know, Corpse Witch is quite possibly small time, one venture - stream some fights and air some odds, take some of the proceeds and redirect the rest to the winners. Killing a cop would draw more attention to her than she could possibly handle.

Hannermom? More money than most nations and demonstratively "evil", e.g. fires accountants skimming money from her company...into volcanos. Has shown a willingness to destroy small businesses because they don't go her way. She's basically a bald head away from super-villainy. Get rid of one cop, make some "donations" here and there and the problem goes away.

But all this is besides the point when there should be trapdoors all over an office.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #289 on: 24 Sep 2016, 21:07 »

Who said anything about Hannermom killing the cop? I'm talking about Mr Burns style trapdoors.

But to your question; as far as we know, Corpse Witch is quite possibly small time, one venture - stream some fights and air some odds, take some of the proceeds and redirect the rest to the winners. Killing a cop would draw more attention to her than she could possibly handle.

Hannermom? More money than most nations and demonstratively "evil", e.g. fires accountants skimming money from her company...into volcanos. Has shown a willingness to destroy small businesses because they don't go her way. She's basically a bald head away from super-villainy. Get rid of one cop, make some "donations" here and there and the problem goes away.

But all this is besides the point when there should be trapdoors all over an office.

That's because we know or have heard what she's capable of, but based on her outward appearance she'd come off as some rich and demanding woman who you'd prefer not to cross because it would be a hassle not because it's bad for your health.  Corpse Witch could be more resourceful and powerful than she appears. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #290 on: 24 Sep 2016, 23:23 »

Oh, yes, trapdoors please. They're funnier than anything I've come up with.

Getting into BenRG-level amounts of creativity, what if someone inside Hannermom's organization has started doing something so evil that she herself won't tolerate it?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #291 on: 24 Sep 2016, 23:48 »

Remember Momo's new chassis? If the 'receiving' drive is blank, it is possible for the AI algorithm to be transferred along a cable, leaving not a trace behind in the 'origin' drive.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

« Reply #292 on: 25 Sep 2016, 22:43 »

If you are privileged, in other words.
Even that bears some risks. Specifically if one happens to be neurodivergent (in any form). The police just aren't trained for dealing with the various mental and neurological disorders. And then there's those cops that should have never been allowed on the force in the first place.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #293 on: 27 Sep 2016, 19:43 »

Contrary to popular opinion, there are forms of privilege other than 'white' and 'male.'

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #294 on: 28 Sep 2016, 20:50 »

Contrary to popular opinion, there are forms of privilege other than 'white' and 'male.'

Yeah, there's "rich".

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #295 on: 29 Sep 2016, 09:26 »

Yeah, there's "rich".
And then there is armed with a badge and associated paraphernalia.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #296 on: 29 Sep 2016, 15:33 »

You missed a few.

• Class
  • Education
  • Sexuality
  • Gender identity
  • Ability
  • Socio-economic status (doesn't necessarily mean "rich")
  • Attractiveness
  • Religious (whatever the dominant flavour is where you live)
  • Passing
And more.

All of these forms of privilege can intersect, such that you can be enjoy some forms of privilege but suffer from the lack of others.

Even [being privileged] bears some risks. Specifically if one happens to be neurodivergent (in any form).

The point I was trying to make was that "neurotypical" is another privilege that you can add to the list above. It isn't a concern that is somehow entirely separated from privilege, as the quote above implies.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #297 on: 29 Sep 2016, 18:14 »

Example: I am fairly well off financially and, while biracial, mostly pass as white. However, I'm also queer, a woman, and have mental illnesses. Privilege is a complicated interaction of diverse factors.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up