Faye
Bubbles
Corpse Witch
Marten
Space Ham
Pie
Nope

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3311 - 3315 (Sept 19th - 24th)  (Read 49544 times)

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
Re: WCDT Strips 3311 - 3315 (Sept 19th - 24th)
« Reply #50 on: 19 Sep 2016, 17:43 »

It kind of makes sense that you'd hire synthetics to police crime in the synthetic community. After all 'to catch a thief' and all that; they'd probably think and move at the right rate (and in the right way) to handle AI felons, something few if any humans could do.

I see it more as "If we have to investigate illegal AI activity, we should have someone who can withstand a punch from a combat chassis. I mean, human officer vs crusher AI = squished head."

May's parole officer was an AI, so I suspect pretty much all AI crime is handled by AIs: officers, lawyers, judges, prison guards Robot Jail sysadmins, etc.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #51 on: 19 Sep 2016, 17:48 »

I see it more as "If we have to investigate illegal AI activity, we should have someone who can withstand a punch from a combat chassis. I mean, human officer vs crusher AI = squished head."

Of course, things could get rather interesting from a legalistic standpoint.  If an officer could potentially be restored from a backup[1] Would it be murder or attempted murder if the victim was briefly dead?  (And I don't suspect that the Vetanari solution of briefly hanging the offender would work in the QCverse).

[1] Although I would think there would be some sort of PTSD as a result from having a gap in memories and something horrific happening to their previous chassis.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

TheEvilDog

« Reply #52 on: 19 Sep 2016, 17:58 »

Police have two priorities in their job. The first is to survive their shift, hence their trigger-happiness. Secondly to arrest some-one, hence their aggressive lying/manipulation. Never engage with the police without your lawyer, they want to blame some-one, anyone, and are quite happy to fit you up.

In the US, maybe.  My local police department actually called in UK cops to teach de-escalation and alternatives to violence.

Same in Ireland. In fact we don't technically have a police force. They're officially "guardians of the peace" and their whole operating method is based around de-escalating situations before violence happens.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #53 on: 19 Sep 2016, 19:02 »

"There has been a complaint. Someone is substituting Chinese White for Khaki."

In other news, I like the idea that Police Woman is a newbie who has been stuck with the duty that nobody else wants.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #54 on: 19 Sep 2016, 20:11 »

Oh dear.

The Pugnacious Peach needs to swallow her pride and beg Hannelore to lend her one of the family lawyers.

"Money laundering" laws are a danger to anyone who so much as sells a car to a drug dealer. Robocop has just made a veiled threat of a Federal prosecution.

This is the heaviest drama we've seen in quite a while.

Robocop is unlikely to accept "Thanks for asking, nobody's being taken advantage of" from an informant.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Milayna

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #55 on: 19 Sep 2016, 20:22 »

Well now we know police chassis are fire resistant or Robocop would have spontaneously combusted under that glare.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #56 on: 19 Sep 2016, 20:23 »

At least Faye incriminating herself didn't happen...but it turns out it didn't really need to.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #57 on: 19 Sep 2016, 20:24 »

I guess Faye's ongoing willingness to simply take Corpse Witch's word for it has just taken a nose dive.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #58 on: 19 Sep 2016, 20:35 »

I really hope that the next time Cogney and Laser shows up again that Faye has the foresight to have a device recording everything that's being said. Because the Potentially Imprisoned Peach is going to any bit of help in the future.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #59 on: 19 Sep 2016, 20:36 »

And that, my friends, is why you never talk to the cops without your lawyer.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #60 on: 19 Sep 2016, 20:40 »

So why is the investigation happening? Someone's sergeant yelled "Get your numbers up or I'll have your job"? Or is someone actually being taken advantage of?

The thought of a raid on a place with Bubbles in it leads to horror quickly.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #61 on: 19 Sep 2016, 20:43 »

I think the never talk to police thing is a bit crazy. If they aren't interested in you, saying you won't talk without a lawyer is going to MAKE them interested in you, and in general, waste a lot of time and money. And if you have the money to spend on a lawyer just to be present whenever a cop wants to talk to you, you are in a whole different stratosphere of wealth than I am.

I answered a knock on my door the other day, and there was an officer outside. There were 4 police cars out on my street. Of course, my first thought is, well shit. Cause that looks bad. Before I can say anything, the guy tells me he is looking for someone, and if I've seen a specific man. He shows me a picture, and from the paperwork he was holding, it was an arrest warrant.

He wasn't on the lease for the home next to me, but he was known to be dating the resident there.

I told him what I knew, which wasn't much. Yes, I'd seen a man that could have been that man go into that house before, but I couldn't be sure. I don't know the neighbor on that side that well (she moved in less than a year ago and is not social). Yes, there is another car that is parked over there pretty often, but I can't remember the make, model, or even color at the moment. Sure, I'll call your tip line when someone is home so you can come ask them questions.

Quick 10 minute cordial conversation. Very nice fellow. And he was on his way, I called the tip line later when someone was home, and went about my business, never heard anything else about it.

Or I could spend a ton of time, make them suspicious of me, and spend a bunch of money to hire a lawyer I can't afford.

Hmmm. Tough choice.

(The difference in the comic being that that officer is interested in Faye. Yeah, she should get a lawyer).
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2016, 21:05 by Emperor Norton »

Emperor Norton

« Reply #62 on: 19 Sep 2016, 21:08 »

You can get on the wrong side of the psychological line between good citizens and prey in absolutely no time flat. Once across that line you are stuck there.

http://blog.simplejustice.us/2014/02/18/falling-down-the-good-guy-curve/

There is no bottom to how you can get treated once that mental switch gets toggled.

https://blog.simplejustice.us/2015/09/29/not-even-motherhood-evokes-empathy/

I've got one of the decent police departments where I live but never take that for granted.

And asking for a lawyer when they have zero interest in you is going to put you on their radar SUPER fast.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #63 on: 19 Sep 2016, 21:17 »

And if you have the money to spend on a lawyer just to be present whenever a cop wants to talk to you, you are in a whole different stratosphere of wealth than I am.

Didn't use it much with cops, more like doctors who wanted to keep me in the institution, but dating one's sister was quite useful.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #64 on: 19 Sep 2016, 21:20 »

I have had generally cordial interactions with the police. 

I did stand accused of a robbery once in college - I was at the place that was robbed on the night of the robbery, but neither did it nor saw it take place.  They called me in for questioning, and I talked to the man, told him particulars about when and how everything I knew about had happened during that night, refused to take a polygraph test, did not consent to have my house or car searched, and went home. 

The officer was convinced I was guilty, or at least told me he was when he was trying to get a confession, but my response was simply that I had told him the truth and whether he believed me or not I wasn't going to start lying now.  I walked out of there because they had no evidence. The DA refused their search warrants on me for lack of probable cause, just as she should have, and a few days later the guy who had actually committed the robbery was caught committing another one. Things stolen in the first robbery were discovered in his car. I guess probable cause to search a vehicle isn't a problem when the guy takes it to the parking lot of a business he got caught trying to rob. Anyway he got convicted of both.

I spent half of the year before that being a bouncer at a somewhat rough bar in a different part of the state, and saw our local officers of the law several times during that year in the course of our respective jobs.  Usually they had matter-of-fact questions and I had matter-of-fact answers.  It was always completely professional.  Sometimes "When was the last time you saw this guy and who was he with?"  And sometimes "And what did this idiot do here before he went home and beat up his neighbor?"  And so on.   

Once we had to call them out. The kickers were playing 'Phil' with a trucker who was coming through, and there was going to be violence if the situation wasn't controlled.  It was great how they handled it.  Four guys in uniform came in, ordered a plate of wings and an onion tangle (complimentary of course because we LIKE having the police come in) and sat there at a table munching and shooting the breeze about nothing in particular and pretending to completely ignore the patrons.  But the patrons didn't ignore them.  The game of 'Phil' ended instantly when the police uniforms came in.  The kickers trickled out in ones and twos over the next twenty minutes or so and the trucker went his way in peace.  There was no violence,  no arrests, and not even any hard feelings about it. We just had a laugh about it afterward.

I dunno.  I figure it's different in different places, but so far in my life I've been fortunate to be in districts where the police are actually professionals who take justice and protecting the peace pretty seriously.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #65 on: 19 Sep 2016, 21:22 »

(The difference in the comic being that that officer is interested in Faye. Yeah, she should get a lawyer).

Actually, the difference there was they were looking for someone other than you, and for whom you had no stake in protecting.  They came looking for someone specific. That is not the situation being talked about when people say 'don't talk to police'. When you get stopped randomly and the cops start asking you probing but general questions like 'what are you doing here, who are you going to see' or start making demands with no probable cause.. Then yes, shut up. Only say that you do not wish to talk to them and repeatedly ask if you are under arrest, or are you free to go. Because what's going on there is they want someone to arrest. You just happened to be the unlucky one that fell under their gaze.  If you say the wrong thing, or start to get agitated they will have no problem putting the cuffs on you and coming up with a reason why after.

Emperor Norton

« Reply #66 on: 19 Sep 2016, 21:24 »

@Neko_Ali, While that may be what you are saying, someone else literally just shared a story that suggested NOT EVEN CALLING 911 TO REPORT AN ACCIDENT.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #67 on: 19 Sep 2016, 21:28 »

Knowing Jeph, it's just as likely she's not actually a cop.  I can just imagine May seeing her and going "Cop?  That's Bittorrent Kelly!  She was in robot jail at the same time I was.  She's the biggest software pirate in the Western hemisphere."

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #68 on: 19 Sep 2016, 21:34 »

@Neko_Ali, While that may be what you are saying, someone else literally just shared a story that suggested NOT EVEN CALLING 911 TO REPORT AN ACCIDENT.

If you are the 'wrong kind' of person, or in the wrong neighborhood, or live in an area with particularly bad cops... Then yes. Even if you are 100% in the right, going to the police to report a crime done against you could wind up with you being the one harassed or in jail. The same sort of reason why most rapes go unreported. Being the one reporting means harassment, possibly more danger to you, not the person who did it to you.

What I am trying to say here is, sometimes avoiding any kind of entanglement with the law is the only safe and sane thing to do. I'm not saying it true in every single case. But in some cases, for some people. Yes, you should never go to the police. They are not your friends.

Emperor Norton

« Reply #69 on: 19 Sep 2016, 21:46 »

If there is an accident, and someone is hurt, I'm going to call 911. I'm not going to jeopardize the injured person(s)'s safety and health on the chance that the cops might be assholes.

And I would find it very questionable of anyone to do. "Yes, they are hurt, and not being a medical professional I can't tell how bad, but there is a small percent chance that something bad could happen to me." That just seems incredibly selfish to me.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #70 on: 19 Sep 2016, 22:16 »

The Pugnacious Peach, simply because of who she hangs with now and what neighborhood she works in, is likely to be one of "the usual suspects" even if her job were legal.

I do think the guy in San Francisco drew the wrong conclusion, by the way, and I should move this to DISCUSS rather than continue posting about it here.

What happens next? Faye will never betray a friend. Bubbles is a friend. Corpse Witch isn't. The pressure can be made intolerable: http://copssaylegalize.blogspot.com/2015/12/press-release-60-minutes-reports-on-use.html

I really need someone to tell me that the insane impression I've been getting of the USA in recent days is really distorted, or it will do my head in.

"The USA" is thousands of local and regional police departments and the good ones don't get hashtags. There is selection bias in the news.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2016, 22:24 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #71 on: 19 Sep 2016, 22:32 »

Too bad Faye isn't dealing with the Northampton police. They seem to be pretty mellow judging from the sledding party and other events.

If Corpse Witch is "connected" then informing on her could be a fatal move.

Unusually heavy drama here, unless the whole thing is a practical joke by Pintsize.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Emperor Norton

« Reply #72 on: 19 Sep 2016, 22:42 »

While when horrible things happen, and they are horrifying, and there are definitely some issues with racial minorities and those with mental disorders being dealt a bad hand by cops at an unconscionable higher rate than for white, mentally healthy people, you have to remember that those cases are still not the majority.

They are horrific. They shouldn't happen. And they are alarming things that we need to do something about, because ONE incident of someone dying when they shouldn't is too many. What we have is way too many.

But, it is still statistically unlikely to happen in any specific circumstance. The police talk to millions of people daily, executing untold number of arrest warrants. What you see on the news is horrifying, and we should do something about it but we can't abandon our civil duty to report and help because there is a small chance something horrible will happen.

If they are questioning you. Get a damn lawyer. If they SEEM like they are questioning you, get a lawyer.

If a crime is happening. Dial 911. If someone is hurt. Dial 911.

If somehow this ends with me getting shot by the cops, They did something wrong.

If someone dies because I didn't call 911, I did something wrong.

Gyrre

« Reply #73 on: 19 Sep 2016, 22:47 »

The only reason to talk to the American police is to get someone arrested.  "Witness or reference" is the wrong way of looking at it.  If you're not trying to get someone arrested, and you're not yourself one of their lackies (party planner or whatnot), shut the hell up.

And if you happen to have a much better sense of smell than most people, don't say anything to the cops anyways. They'll look at you like you're the one who did it.
Never say anything more than you're asked. They'll try to make you a suspect. Because they have to pin the crime on someone, and God forbid they investigate the trouble-maker tenant who happened to run off all of the other residents by being a massive pain in the ass.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #75 on: 19 Sep 2016, 23:13 »

Well, I called it and, sometimes, I hate being able to do that. It's actually quite amazing how quickly this jumped from 'Have a pie on the State's expenses tab' to 'Inform or spend the next ten years in prison on Federal racketeering charges'.

Faye's expression is hard to judge here. She's definitely angry at being threatened but I think that there is also a little fear here. She knows just how bad a situation she's in and she knows how much of a no-win this could be for her. If the cops bust Corpse Witch anyway and find that she's been holding out on them, she could be in serious trouble herself. On the other hand, Corpse Witch has an army of melee-optimised AIs at her beck and call who she may have modified to do whatever she tells them if she uses a code-word (remember her fiddling around inside that one's head?). She might have 'adjusted' some of them to be her hit-men just in case any of her employees develop a conscience.

Overall, this is not the sort of situation in which a recovering alcoholic should find herself.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2016, 23:19 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

« Reply #76 on: 19 Sep 2016, 23:14 »

Well, I guess we'll  be finding out Corpse Witch's real name.

BTW, Faye this deal seems off. And it's probably entrapment.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #77 on: 20 Sep 2016, 00:20 »

Faye needs a lawyer, yesterday. If police want her to snitch, they need to come through with an explicit immunity deal. Also Faye should give a heads-up to Bubbles. If Corpse Witch decides to apply some muscle of her own, having Bubbles in Faye's corner would be a good thing.

Alternatively, Faye and Bubbles could quit and set up an AI repair clinic together. Seems that there's a need, and they might be able to get grant money to help with funding.

Emperor Norton

« Reply #78 on: 20 Sep 2016, 00:24 »

Back on topic, going back to someone saying that what if she wasn't a police officer at all: What if she works for Corpse Witch? What if she is there to "test loyalty".

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #79 on: 20 Sep 2016, 00:28 »

I'm going to change the topic even further and say...

HEY that looks a lot like key lime pie. Which I love.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #80 on: 20 Sep 2016, 00:40 »

On the other hand, it could be a lemon meringue pie, which is similarly excellent.

Doc

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #81 on: 20 Sep 2016, 00:49 »

Ooh, Throwing Pie, my favorite flavor.

Emperor Norton

« Reply #82 on: 20 Sep 2016, 01:12 »

On the other hand, it could be a lemon meringue pie, which is similarly excellent.

I much more prefer fruit pies. Blueberry is my favorite.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #83 on: 20 Sep 2016, 01:16 »

Ooh, like this one (which I haven't made yet, but mean to).

http://ladyandpups.com/2016/09/07/sichuan-peppercorn-blueberry-oatmeal-pie/

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #84 on: 20 Sep 2016, 01:43 »

So, I pretty much see Faye's options as:

a) Ignore (*lalalalalalaaa*)
b) Get legal advice
c) Start digging to work out what the agent could be referring to

I think I know what option I would choose, even without the benefit that Patreon foresight provides.

Other options are:

d) Eat the pie
e) Ignore the pie

Option d, I would think.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #85 on: 20 Sep 2016, 01:48 »

Personally, I'm expecting her to wander back to the apartment in a sort of shell-shocked state (after picking up a bottle of whiskey first) and then collapsing in tears onto the laps of a horrified Marten and Claire. However I might be guilty of letting what my own reaction would be affect my ability to get into Faye's head.

One possible option would be to wait until tomorrow and then discuss the matter with Bubbles over a cup of tea at CoD. I've not yet completely abandoned my idea that the original report that drew the State Police's attention may be from Bubbles. If she's in the know, then we could have an interesting arc when Faye learns that, lacking Black Ops training and/or programming (such as that Bubbles has) she doesn't make a good covert agent.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #86 on: 20 Sep 2016, 03:44 »

So, I pretty much see Faye's options as:

a) Ignore (*lalalalalalaaa*)
b) Get legal advice
c) Start digging to work out what the agent could be referring to

I think I know what option I would choose, even without the benefit that Patreon foresight provides.

Other options are:

d) Eat the pie
e) Ignore the pie

Option d, I would think.

f) use the pie to bribe a human police officer

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #87 on: 20 Sep 2016, 06:37 »

The kickers were playing 'Phil' with a trucker who was coming through,
What language is that? I know the wpords but the sentence . . .
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Radium_Coyote

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #88 on: 20 Sep 2016, 06:45 »

Shaken down by vice.  I think I can see where this might be going, and it ought to be a good story.

That having been said, that cop just made an enemy, you can read it in Faye's expression.  If that cop is actually competent, that was on purpose rather than accidental.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #89 on: 20 Sep 2016, 06:47 »

g) take it at face value, and if no-one is being unfairly exploited then there's no problem and nothing to report.

Should she come across genuine exploitation then she'll have a whole bunch of personal moral issues to contend with as well.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I don't recall ever having been faced with serious personal ethical dilemmas in a work situation , although I can think of a fair number of job vacancies I simply didn't apply for.
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2016, 06:54 by JimC »

retrosteve

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Very slow tourist
« Reply #90 on: 20 Sep 2016, 07:32 »

This is the heaviest drama we've seen in quite a while.

Ever, I think. This is way out-of-genre, but I like the excitement.
Thinks too much.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #91 on: 20 Sep 2016, 07:46 »

The kickers were playing 'Phil' with a trucker who was coming through,
I know those words but that sentence makes no sense!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #92 on: 20 Sep 2016, 08:57 »

Faye is definitely going to warn Bubbles, but what happens next is anybody's guess.  Perhaps Bubbles will go to Corpse Witch and she'll propose taking out the cop.  She's good at manipulation and if she convinces Bubbles that the cop is a threat to their livelihood and her friend, Bubbles may reveal hersel as Corpse Witch's longtime enforcer.  Given her military background I wouldn't fancy the police bot making it to retirement.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #93 on: 20 Sep 2016, 10:03 »

This really isn't about abuse of citizens by police. This is about Faye working in a less-than-legal enterprise and the consequences of that finally catching up with her - she's lucky she wasn't already swept up in a police raid. This may be the beginning of the process leading to that outcome.

The really smart play would be for her to get a lawyer and quit the underground robot fight club yesterday. I doubt she'll do that though.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

ZMiles1

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #94 on: 20 Sep 2016, 10:10 »

I'm gonna predict that this isn't a cop, it's a test by Corpse Witch to evaluate Faye's loyalty. CW has shown several times that she's suspicious of Faye and doesn't think her attempts to befriend the various AIs are sincere or meaningful; she seems to dislike humans in general and wants to keep Bubbles (and possibly others) isolated from them.

My guess: Faye will very soon see something 'bigger' going on in the skate rink, robots being shaken down or seriously hurt or something, and she'll have to decide whether to report to the 'AI police' or to tell CW what's going on. If she goes to CW, CW reveals that Faye passed the test and whatever Faye saw was all staged; if she goes to the 'AI police', CW reveals it was a trick (and that she has enough influence Faye can't just go to the actual police) and sacks her. And then tells Bubbles that, when it came down to it, Faye sold out her AI companions for herself.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #95 on: 20 Sep 2016, 10:56 »

robots being shaken down or seriously hurt or something
I honestly don't see this happening. Not because CW wouldn't be willing to, but because there's no reason for her to.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ZMiles1

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #96 on: 20 Sep 2016, 11:06 »

robots being shaken down or seriously hurt or something
I honestly don't see this happening. Not because CW wouldn't be willing to, but because there's no reason for her to.

I mean, it will be staged--Corpse Witch will have a couple robots pretend that one is mugging the other (or coercing the other to fight somehow), etc. In order to test Faye's loyalty, to see what she does if she thinks she has a chance to sell them out to the police to save her own skin. It wouldn't be happening for real.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #97 on: 20 Sep 2016, 11:07 »

That's ridiculous, though. Why would she see if Faye would betray CW for cruel practices if she wasn't otherwise planning on cruel practices?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #98 on: 20 Sep 2016, 11:18 »

This is part of the problem with having officially illegal but unofficially tolerated activities: it just invites abuse. Further, because it's illegal, there's no way to legally deal with taxing the resulting income, meaning everyone involved is on the lam from the IRS. Faye is now in the impossible situation where she either has to rat out her co-workers, or have to take the fall herself if she doesn't.

She and Bubbles should bug out at the first opportunity. Of course it's easy for us to say that; if Faye wants to get another job, she'll need to explain the gaping hole in her resume where she was working an illegal enterprise.

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #99 on: 20 Sep 2016, 11:22 »

And then (Corpse Witch) tells Bubbles that, when it came down to it, Faye sold out her AI companions for herself.

At this point, though, I don't see Bubbles taking CW's word for it; she has enough of a bond with Faye that I think she'd go and ask Faye about it. She might do it belligerently ("How could you do this to us?"), or she might not; but I do think she'd ask.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up