THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 23:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Emulator Games  (Read 31316 times)

Styrix

Best Emulator Games
« on: 11 Jan 2005, 08:50 »

Pintsize's experience with FF2 reminded me that some games are actually better played on an emulator.
What are those best games to play on emulator?

I've found that a lot of old games are better if you can jack the speed of the emulator up, as they are too slow, like the old Dragon Warrior games are way better at 2 or 3 times speed.  And some of the FF games are definately better in their hacked translations.

What are people's favorites?

edit: edited subject for clarity

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Best Emulator Games
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2005, 08:56 »

I thought this was going to be a thread about Emus in video games. Which would rock. Rock you like a cop.

Also: Related to emus

thanks, dan.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Best Emulator Games
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2005, 10:15 »

i have an irrational disrtust of the ostrich.

and i'm neither here nor there on emulators as i don't own a computer.

Schmung

Best Emulator Games
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2005, 10:24 »

Gunstar Heroes on the MegaDrive (or Genesis to you folk across the pond) is totally awesome to this day, lots of stuff on MAME and NeoGeo worth looking at as well.

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
Best Emulator Games
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2005, 05:54 »

I use ZSNES to play all the kickass RPGs that never made it to PAL release.

What kind of mind decides not to release FFVI, Chrono Trigger or Super Mario RPG, and then gives us FF:Mystic Quest?

The only decent thing we got that the US didn't was Terranigma, so any emulator users should check that out, and see how it feels. (Enix actually manage to better Zelda with this game, that's pretty impressive).

And of course there's the translated Seiken Densetu 3 (Secret of Mana 2), which I'm playing on co-op with my room mates.

As for games that are better to play on emu, save state does mean you don't have to finish a game in one sitting if it doesn't have a save system *ahem*StarFox*ahem*, and the frameskip/fast forward means you don't have to sit through long boring cut-scenes if you don't want to (also the Opera scene in FFVI is just funny played at high speed).
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Best Emulator Games
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2005, 18:15 »

Quote from: wraithzero
I use ZSNES to play all the kickass RPGs that never made it to PAL release.

What kind of mind decides not to release FFVI, Chrono Trigger or Super Mario RPG, and then gives us FF:Mystic Quest?

The only decent thing we got that the US didn't was Terranigma, so any emulator users should check that out, and see how it feels. (Enix actually manage to better Zelda with this game, that's pretty impressive).

And of course there's the translated Seiken Densetu 3 (Secret of Mana 2), which I'm playing on co-op with my room mates.

As for games that are better to play on emu, save state does mean you don't have to finish a game in one sitting if it doesn't have a save system *ahem*StarFox*ahem*, and the frameskip/fast forward means you don't have to sit through long boring cut-scenes if you don't want to (also the Opera scene in FFVI is just funny played at high speed).

ahh yes, terranigma, with its sequel illusion of gaia.  or was that the sequels sequel?

anyway i played the HECK out of IoG

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
Best Emulator Games
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2005, 08:25 »

Illusion of Gaia (Time in the UK, for whatever reason) was the second game, Terrangima was the third.  I'm not certain, but I think Soul Blazer was the first game, although there really isn't much in common between the three games.  (although the secret boss in IoG is very reminicent of one of SBs bosses).
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

Foxylicious

Best Emulator Games
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2005, 13:24 »

Chrono Trigger, the Final Fantasy games, Breath of Fire, and oh yeah!  Sailor Moon!  That's what I'm working on right now lol.

Muffin Mage

Best Emulator Games
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2005, 18:23 »

Anything on NES, because if you don't own a working NES, you are almost never going to find one. Ever. And FFI kicks total ass.

Styrix

Best Emulator Games
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2005, 22:05 »

I loved Dragon Warrior 1-4.  4 would of been my favorite, but they ruined the combat half way through with "tactics".  Ever play Dynasty Warriors? I think it is a hacked translation, so it is only available through emu.

Jenno

• Furry furrier
Best Emulator Games
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2005, 03:16 »

Fav emulator game ever? Bubble Bobble... old school fun :)

Malphas

Best Emulator Games
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2005, 13:27 »

Super Bomberman!  The most fun game EVER.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Best Emulator Games
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2005, 14:00 »

Quote from: wraithzero
Illusion of Gaia (Time in the UK, for whatever reason) was the second game, Terrangima was the third.  I'm not certain, but I think Soul Blazer was the first game, although there really isn't much in common between the three games.  (although the secret boss in IoG is very reminicent of one of SBs bosses).

arr, schooled :(

illusion of gaia is one of my favorite either

and im 100% certain it is soul blazer that was the first.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Best Emulator Games
« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2005, 18:31 »

Quote from: Jenno
Fav emulator game ever? Bubble Bobble... old school fun :)

Yes! Bubble Bobble! Woo hoo! I am one of the blessed ones to have an original copy. Mmmmm... gameboy.

My computer can't handle one, but I would think that the best emulated game would be Dragon Crystal for the Game Gear. It's such a great game that should've had a save game option, but it didn't... I really want to play that game now. But I have no AC adaptor for my Game Gear, due to it's unfourtinate end. I wheep.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Best Emulator Games
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2005, 18:51 »

ive got nes bubble bobble :)

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
Best Emulator Games
« Reply #15 on: 03 Feb 2005, 02:39 »

NeoGeo just rocks ass...

KOF 2001 is still one of my favourites. Or Samurai Showdown.
YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY PENIS HARDER!

synecdoche

Best Emulator Games
« Reply #16 on: 03 Feb 2005, 20:46 »

I bought a GBA and so now I can play some of those games that were great on the NES, not so great on the emulator, but good on GBA.  I am speaking, of course, of RIVER CITY RANSOM.  I hate it on emulators, but it is great on GBA!  

I want to get one of those dealies taht lets you play ROMs on the GBA.

But back on topic, I agree that in general role-playing games are best for emulators, generally because the controls aren't so crucial.

Rune

Best Emulator Games
« Reply #17 on: 04 Feb 2005, 21:15 »

I think Bubble Bobble is better on the NES. It's hell trying to have two people go through 198 levels on a single keyboard. Much, much easier using controllers.

Even though that final boss was a pain in the ass with two people. We used to hit each other with the lightning bolts and then the boss would ram us!

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Best Emulator Games
« Reply #18 on: 04 Feb 2005, 21:57 »

thers only 100 levels??

Vertical Stripes

Best Emulator Games
« Reply #19 on: 04 Feb 2005, 22:08 »

Not necessarily because it's better on an emulator, but I always get a warm fuzzy feeling sitting at my computer playing Chrono Trigger.  

Now that  I have the actual cartridge for good ol' snessy, though, I have to say Earthbound.  Zooming through battles with my finger down on the select button is definetely the way to go.

Finding Emo

Best Emulator Games
« Reply #20 on: 04 Feb 2005, 22:37 »

Some games like Gunstar Heroes on the hardest setting, simply so I can save mid-game. It blows dying and having to start again.
And B.O.B., because it's massive.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Best Emulator Games
« Reply #21 on: 06 Feb 2005, 10:18 »

B.O.B., because it's massive.

Ugh, I had that too, but we sold our SNES when we got out N64. How naive we once were.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Super Dave

Nostalgia.... TO THE MAX!
« Reply #22 on: 21 Feb 2005, 16:58 »

I definitley must say Chrono Trigger
Love that one at 9x speed... So very intense

Super Dave

Nostalgia.... TO THE MAX!
« Reply #23 on: 21 Feb 2005, 17:03 »

I definitley must say Chrono Trigger
Love that one at 9x speed... So very intense

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Best Emulator Games
« Reply #24 on: 21 Feb 2005, 20:31 »

Quote from: Vertical Stripes
Not necessarily because it's better on an emulator, but I always get a warm fuzzy feeling sitting at my computer playing Chrono Trigger.

It just feels like something that was designed for the PC, for some reason. Like consoles were not good enough for it. (Even though SNES obviously was)
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

catflea

Best Emulator Games
« Reply #25 on: 22 Feb 2005, 11:01 »

all this talk reminded me that I wanted a game gear......
Pages: [1]   Go Up