THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 01:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Hanners's mad lockpicking skillz will be used to...

Bust Faye out of jail
- 8 (11.6%)
Bust Bubbles out of jail
- 6 (8.7%)
Lock Corpse Witch IN jail
- 12 (17.4%)
Obtain a fighter jet chassis (or at least a decent drone) for May
- 5 (7.2%)
Give all Juicy's clothes a Hanners-grade wash
- 15 (21.7%)
Obtain pie
- 15 (21.7%)
Obtain tacos (Oops... wrong forum)
- 5 (7.2%)
Wash the purple monkey's dishes
- 3 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3316-3320 (26th - 30th September 2016)  (Read 30336 times)

TheEvilDog

Re: WCDT Strips 3316-3320 (26th - 30th September 2016)
« Reply #100 on: 29 Sep 2016, 21:54 »

Edit: Just noticed Jeph's comment under the latest strip: "Renee tries, really she does." Yes, she's very trying.  :claireface:

She's certainly trying my patience! Doohohohoho!

And apparently I have turned into Waldorf and Statler

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #101 on: 29 Sep 2016, 22:33 »

Yes, it looks like a different font. It's okay -- seems a little more readable to me. But I'm overdue for bifocals and have a small screen, so your mileage may vary.

Edit: Just noticed Jeph's comment under the latest strip: "Renee tries, really she does." Yes, she's very trying.  :claireface:

To be fair this is one of the times where she's actually not doing anything irritating. 

Did the font of the speech bubbles change in the latest comic or is my sight going?

I noticed that too, but as long as they keep AI speech bubbles in squares instead of bubbles I'm fine with it. 

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #102 on: 29 Sep 2016, 23:25 »

Another of the mysteries of the world that Brun doesn't really 'get'. Society insists that telling untruth is wrong. Then it suddenly informs you that this rule is conditional and that you should actually act in a way that is effectively a lie if the truth will 'hurt' someone.

I do like how Jeph is characterising Brun. In many ways, she's trying to feel her way through an entirely unfamiliar environment and set of experiences. I also wonder if she has learned to distrust her impressions of other people unless she can get independent verification just because she has such problems reading body language and other non-verbal cues (and sometimes, even verbal statements can be deceptive for her).

Finally, is Renee's last sentence in panel 4 a typo or sarcasm? Shouldn't it be: "I'm really not a good friend."?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #103 on: 29 Sep 2016, 23:40 »

Finally, is Renee's last sentence in panel 4 a typo or sarcasm? Shouldn't it be: "I'm really not a good friend."?

I read it as sarcasm, and perhaps ill advised with Brun who tends to take things literally.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #104 on: 30 Sep 2016, 01:53 »

I'm struggling to understand Brun's thought process in assuming that a big person would be afraid of fewer things.

In my experience, most things in the modern Western world that one might be afraid of have diddly-squat to do with how strong or physically capable one is. Heck, that even includes many physical threats. And why would someone bigger be less afraid of Brun specifically? Does she think of herself as a source of immediate physical danger?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #105 on: 30 Sep 2016, 02:12 »

I'm struggling to understand Brun's thought process in assuming that a big person would be afraid of fewer things.

Brun's personal reality seems to have been founded entirely on binging on animé. Bearing this in mind, the whole idea of a bear-like giant of a man being nervous and anything but loudly bluff and outgoing would seem like a breach of the laws of characterisation to her. It is possible that one of the biggest journeys Brun has to make is to realise that you cannot learn everything you need to know about the world from the TV.
~~~~

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #106 on: 30 Sep 2016, 02:41 »

Does she think of herself as a source of immediate physical danger?
Only when holding a harpoon.

Brun's best course would be to let Elliot know that Renee spilled the beans, so she knows he's a bouncer, and she's fine with it. No point attempting some hamfisted subterfuge.

Of course that would make for a less fun comic.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2016, 02:46 by jheartney »

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #107 on: 30 Sep 2016, 02:54 »

Brun works in the bar trade. She'll know that an impressive physical presence can defuse a lot of problems. Its by no means unknown for bars and shops to have a raised floor on the staff side just so the staff look a bit bigger than they are (there are other good reasons too I hasten to add). Also likely, working in the trade, she'll have a far less negative view of bouncers than the general public.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #108 on: 30 Sep 2016, 03:23 »

I think that there is only one bouncer that I have met in my entire life that I have hated, and that had nothing to do with his occupation and more that the guy is just a prick.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Milayna

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #109 on: 30 Sep 2016, 03:52 »

Brun's personal reality seems to have been founded entirely on binging on animé. Bearing this in mind, the whole idea of a bear-like giant of a man being nervous and anything but loudly bluff and outgoing would seem like a breach of the laws of characterisation to her. It is possible that one of the biggest journeys Brun has to make is to realise that you cannot learn everything you need to know about the world from the TV.
You sound like you're suggesting something ridiculous like that anime isn't real.

References aside, relationships, especially, are portrayed...literally everywhere. Practically every damn story, no matter the medium (and especially in anime and videogames) is a (hetero) love story wrapped up in some plot like overthrowing the empire or something. You can go whole days, hell even weeks without seeing anyone pass the bechdel test irl. Given the prevalence and popularity of "information" about the subject it would make sense to use it as a baseline for understanding - even if there's individual variance in specifics in real life, people would at least recognize and respond to the tropes, and it could go from there. It isn't illogical to think that media that is supposed to be a reflection on life could be useful as a guide to life.

Of course yeah it really doesn't work that way, it turns out that fantasy relationships are...well fantasy, and the way it ACTUALLY works is something else entirely unrelated. (I don't know what that is, though. People are weird and the things they do are often nonsense. Elliot's purpose last comic completely missed me, too, until Renee explained it.)

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #110 on: 30 Sep 2016, 09:36 »

Brun works in the bar trade. She'll know that an impressive physical presence can defuse a lot of problems. Its by no means unknown for bars and shops to have a raised floor on the staff side just so the staff look a bit bigger than they are (there are other good reasons too I hasten to add). Also likely, working in the trade, she'll have a far less negative view of bouncers than the general public.

Bouncers have a negative reputation? That is news to me, to be honest. I've mostly ever seen them calm situations down by exchanging a few words or just having a impressive presence. It's not as if they're above the law or have special rights such as cops; they're just civilians and have the same rights as the rest, so they can only act violent in self-defence or in the defence of others. Having training means that they'll be aware not to use excessive force, and if they do - they're in even deeper trouble than someone who didn't.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #111 on: 30 Sep 2016, 10:08 »

A lot depends on both the area and the reputability of the establishment. Some rougher clubs in rougher areas have 'bouncers' that are just this side of being thugs with the assumed license to dish out violence to anyone they feel like excluding or who dare to talk back to them. This usually works on a dishonour system where the victim is unlikely to go to the police because simply going to the bar in question would make it more likely that they would be the ones arrested. Besides which, the other door staff will back up each other's stories, no matter how implausible.

Licensing and strict laws on use force in self-defence has limited that problem in more recent years but there are still 'bouncers' who are also UFC fighters and simply seem to enjoy having an excuse to inflict injury on others and thus look for and take every means to provoke trouble.
~~~~

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #112 on: 30 Sep 2016, 10:08 »

I'd think it's because people don't get their impressions of bouncers from experience, but rather from movies/shows where at best they're taking bribes but often beating up patrons at the slightest provocation.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #113 on: 30 Sep 2016, 10:17 »

Did the font of the speech bubbles change in the latest comic or is my sight going?
Yes - but the followup question to ask now is "where is it going?".
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #114 on: 30 Sep 2016, 10:18 »

Well, generally bouncers are seen as large, dour, intimidating individuals who are known to get physical and violent as part of their job. Some of that is true of course. Bars and clubs to tend to hire large and imposing people, who often do put on a serious look when on the job. But the idea behind all of that is to not get into fights or have to physically throw someone out. Less of a bad reputation and more of a scary one. It doesn't help that media often shows bouncers as big tough thugs in shows and movies.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #115 on: 30 Sep 2016, 11:03 »

Meanwhile, the real joke in this strip is Eliot, a 7-foot, 250lb bouncer, is perceptibly terrified to be in this situation.
He's a full foot-and-a-half taller than me and he only weighs 20 lbs more!?
I know I'm stocky and barrel-chested (and ~20 lbs overweight), but wow! (ϾôϿ)

I wonder if we have the same lung capacity?

People who have no reference point for large people often throw would absurd hypothetical height weight stats. Given his build if he was 250 lbs he'd be about 6'2" to 6'4". If he was 7 feet tall with that build he'd be about the same as Shaq who is 350lbs.  Based on his relative height vs the other characters he's about 6'5" or 6'6" and 250 - 265 lbs. Essentially the size of a medium sized linebacker.   

Then the answer to my lung capacity question is either 'yes' or 'probably'.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #116 on: 30 Sep 2016, 11:14 »

In my experience, most things in the modern Western world that one might be afraid of have diddly-squat to do with how strong or physically capable one is. Heck, that even includes many physical threats. And why would someone bigger be less afraid of Brun specifically? Does she think of herself as a source of immediate physical danger?

Part of it could be as BenRg suggested with the anime thing. But another part of it could be how she perceives her own self.

Of course, that could just be my own personal bias. I still occasionally have to remind myself that I'm considered 'physically imposing' by some people. (Which is just really weird to me since I've always just been 'short' in my head).
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #117 on: 30 Sep 2016, 12:52 »

Well, generally bouncers are seen as large, dour, intimidating individuals who are known to get physical and violent as part of their job. Some of that is true of course. Bars and clubs to tend to hire large and imposing people, who often do put on a serious look when on the job. But the idea behind all of that is to not get into fights or have to physically throw someone out. Less of a bad reputation and more of a scary one. It doesn't help that media often shows bouncers as big tough thugs in shows and movies.

I tend to get mistaken for security at my local 'cos I'm big, and my entire wardrobe is black.  The scariest bouncer I have ever met, though was tiny… like weighed 98 lbs tiny.  He also pointed out that everyone has knees and insteps. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #118 on: 30 Sep 2016, 15:07 »

Being underestimated probably doesn't hurt.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #119 on: 30 Sep 2016, 15:41 »

Sometimes Renee, there is such a thing as too much exposition.

Especially for Brun.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #120 on: 30 Sep 2016, 19:21 »

Quote from: Bubbles
assent to her demands

The moment Faye assents to a demand such as wearing a wire or snapping photos or copying documents, from that moment on she is Corpse Witch's enemy, and the enemy of the shadowy "big fish".

Bubbles will protect Faye to her last breath (don't take that too literally). Bubbles can't be everywhere.

Bubbles may have given The Pugnacious Peach lethally poor advice.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #121 on: 01 Oct 2016, 15:10 »

assent to her demands

If a moment comes that Faye has to choose between wearing a wire and immediate criminal charges, she is utterly screwed. (Bubbles realizes this.) Faye's only hope to avoid prison is an immunity deal in exchange for wearing the wire. And however badass Corpse Witch is, she's a tiny flea compared to the U.S. government. So if I had to pick one or the other to make into an enemy, it'd be Corpse Witch in a heartbeat.

Bubbles' advice was sound. Especially the part about "Quit now and walk away from the whole problem." Barring that, wear the wire if Lilac comes back with credible charges.

Clubman8

• Plantmonster
  • Probably will never post enough to seem not new.
« Reply #122 on: 01 Oct 2016, 15:45 »

Yes - but the followup question to ask now is "where is it going?".
Off into the wild blue yonder, never to return again...lest I get laser eye surgery someday.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #123 on: 01 Oct 2016, 17:15 »

assent to her demands

If a moment comes that Faye has to choose between wearing a wire and immediate criminal charges, she is utterly screwed. (Bubbles realizes this.) Faye's only hope to avoid prison is an immunity deal in exchange for wearing the wire. And however badass Corpse Witch is, she's a tiny flea compared to the U.S. government. So if I had to pick one or the other to make into an enemy, it'd be Corpse Witch in a heartbeat.

Bubbles' advice was sound. Especially the part about "Quit now and walk away from the whole problem." Barring that, wear the wire if Lilac comes back with credible charges.

Yes, I think Bubbles deserves a bit more credit than she was given there.

It's not for nothing that they developed a code phrase. If Faye is made to wear a wire, Bubbles will be the first to know.

I also think that Lilac should be given enough credit to recognise that if she does this, it will be done without the knowledge of any of CW's cronies. I don't think they are aware of the first meeting yet. Unless Lilac is an amateur.

Bubbles' strategy does involve risk, but short of walking away, no low-risk strategy exists.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #124 on: 01 Oct 2016, 19:25 »

I wonder what Bubbles has for a strategic plan.

Hmm.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Storel

« Reply #125 on: 01 Oct 2016, 22:26 »

What does it say about me that I've never been a regular in any bar that had -- or needed -- a bouncer?

(Other than that I haven't been a regular in very many bars?)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #126 on: 02 Oct 2016, 00:03 »

I dunno - that they are unobtrusive in the bars you went to, maybe. :)
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #127 on: 02 Oct 2016, 00:49 »

What does it say about me that I've never been a regular in any bar that had -- or needed -- a bouncer?

(Other than that I haven't been a regular in very many bars?)

This is unlikely.  At many upscale bars (not "frat boy" type bars or dives), the bouncer is usually a "host" and somewhat well dressed.  Or an "usher".  "Bouncer" is really a low class term in certain security circles.

If you were in a place that "didn't have" a bouncer, chances are you just didn't notice them or recognize them for what they were.
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #128 on: 02 Oct 2016, 07:24 »

Or you have been to very small bars, or bars in larger establishments like hotels. Most of my personal experience with bouncers has been at clubs, checking IDs and watching out for trouble makers. When I do go to bars it tends to be smaller ones like the one Brun worked at, or it's in a restaurant or something. They tend not to have dedicated security people. Either the bartender/owner handles it if need be, or it's part of whatever business they are located inside of.

Storel

« Reply #129 on: 02 Oct 2016, 15:34 »

The only bar at which I was ever really a regular was an open-mic piano bar. Any customer who wanted to sing could ask the piano player for a turn and sing a couple of songs -- anything the piano player knew how to play, and she knew a lot of songs. I went there frequently enough for long enough that I'm positive they didn't have a bouncer, security guard, host or whatever. I don't remember ever even seeing a fight there. Perhaps a bar like that attracts a different sort of clientele than most bars.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #130 on: 03 Oct 2016, 00:41 »

It depends where you are I think. Here in the UK I think by and large you only have security staff where there's some kind of restricted entry at the door. Which is, admittedly, all 'later than pub hours' clubs as well as anything that's ticketed or has membership. Otherwise IME there's only going to be security staff if the clientele is particularly problematic.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #131 on: 03 Oct 2016, 04:24 »

In my experience bouncers are there more to control non-regular patrons to protect the regulars.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #132 on: 03 Oct 2016, 05:02 »

A lot depends on both the area and the reputability of the establishment. Some rougher clubs in rougher areas have 'bouncers' that are just this side of being thugs with the assumed license to dish out violence to anyone they feel like excluding or who dare to talk back to them.
This, but personally I would avoid any establishment that had obvious bouncers, on the principle that they would not be there if they were not needed.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #133 on: 03 Oct 2016, 08:54 »

On the other hand, the US Government is unlikely to execute Faye over whatever charges may be filed, while Corpse Witch may be willing to resort to murder to protect her enterprise. And if she's particularly vindictive, Faye's friends and family may be in lethal danger as well.

You can rebuild your life once your prison sentence ends. Once your life is taken, you've lost everything.
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2016, 09:04 by themacnut »
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #134 on: 03 Oct 2016, 09:27 »

To quote Brooke Shields, "if you're killed, you lose a very important part of your life".

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #135 on: 03 Oct 2016, 11:47 »

In my experience bouncers are there more to control non-regular patrons to protect the regulars.

In my experience, it was usually the regulars who "took care of things". 

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #136 on: 15 Oct 2016, 16:42 »

Never, EVER, under any circumstances, read a list of random numbers aloud on a radio channel.
Okay, I'll bite. What happens if you do?

I think the FCC/FBI/Police combined response in the US averages under 20 minutes in most metropolitan areas.  Most NATO countries will respond in a similar way. You'll wind up at the local police station talking to a bunch of federal officials with cheap shoes and expensive sunglasses.  If you're out in central Utah or something it make take them a couple of hours to get to you - or at least, to get to the place where you sent the message from and start tracking you.

The working presumption is that you're transmitting some kind of 'control' message for terrorists and/or spies.  The location of the radio receiving your broadcast is completely untraceable, so this reads as "somebody is about to attack and we don't know where."  And if it turns out that you're not actually doing that, you're still going to be found guilty of sending coded messages on a public channel, which carries some disproportionate criminal penalties.

« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2016, 12:53 by Morituri »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #137 on: 15 Oct 2016, 21:30 »

I'm trying to find information about this but can't. Where'd you find this out?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #138 on: 16 Oct 2016, 12:48 »

I'm trying to find information about this but can't. Where'd you find this out?

Numbers Station
James The Kugai 

Morituri

« Reply #139 on: 16 Oct 2016, 12:51 »

I knew someone who started reading a long list of temperatures (from different minutes during a test of a motor) to one of his mechanic friends and promptly got arrested.  Then I found out about the wonderful world of Numbers Stations and FCC emergency response vans.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #140 on: 16 Oct 2016, 20:06 »

Good ole USA security - up to date and pushing the envelope for 1950
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #141 on: 17 Oct 2016, 13:54 »

Sometimes, the old ways can be more reliable  It's why such things as Numbers Stations sitll exist and operate even in today's high tech digital world.
James The Kugai 

Morituri

« Reply #142 on: 17 Oct 2016, 15:26 »

personally I would avoid any establishment that had obvious bouncers, on the principle that they would not be there if they were not needed.

I think it would be more accurate to say they would not be obvious if their obviousness was not needed.  If people aren't being troublesome, the bouncer can just blend in.  Unless the place has a serious problem and needs someone to 'loom' and be obviously the bouncer, anyway.  Nobody but the regulars - and regulars who've been there when there's trouble, which ought to be a small minority even of the regulars - would even know which of the staff has ever responded to troublemaking clientele.  Most of the time, you can bet on the bouncer being  the  'doorman' - the cashier who asks people to pay their cover charge at the door, checks hand stamps or reservations, and so on.  But sometimes it's somebody who spends their time bussing tables or maybe just a guy who's always seated at the corner table and looks like a customer.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up