• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Will Alice's Escape Plan Work?

Yes, everyone gets away.
No, they're all captured.
Sedna is captured and will have to be rescued.
Alice is captured and will have to be rescued.
Sedna and either Gavia or Ardent will be captured and Alice and whoever she's left with will have to rescue them.
Alice and either Gavia or Ardent will be captured and Sedna and whoever she's left with will have to rescue them.
Alice and Sedna are captured and somehow Ardent and Gavia will have to rescue them.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Alice Grove MCDLT - October 2016  (Read 60402 times)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
Alice Grove MCDLT - October 2016
« on: 01 Oct 2016, 00:57 »

While it might be interesting to see what the space kids can do without their body guards I'm leaning to an outcome that has the most buddy comedy potential.  As such Mr. Bad News may be waiting for them at the wagon and will subdue Alice and carry off her and Ardent while Gavia and Sedna escape.  Might get some back story about her and Alice as well as a chance for Gavia to find out she's not as helpless as she thinks without her nanotech.     

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
Re: Alice Grove MCDLT - October 2016
« Reply #1 on: 01 Oct 2016, 02:14 »

Interesting that we don't actually know what plans Pate has for the space kids. Knowledge is to a certain extent power, and there's curiosity besides, so its obvious any executive would want to meet them, especially in light of the moon incident. However, assuming that the Ardent capability is not known, big assumption  perhaps, what *use* are they?

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2 on: 01 Oct 2016, 04:10 »

Interesting that we don't actually know what plans Pate has for the space kids. Knowledge is to a certain extent power, and there's curiosity besides, so its obvious any executive would want to meet them, especially in light of the moon incident. However, assuming that the Ardent capability is not known, big assumption  perhaps, what *use* are they?

Pate could be an eccentric who likes to collect rare things and people or their knowledge of the space habitats is what interests him and with Mr. Bad News by his side he gets his way every time, but the bigger mystery is why someone so powerful takes orders from someone who is likely a baseline human who's only power is political.  Can he think on his own or was he so badly injured in the great war that he can be manipulated by schemers?  Or is he in his right mind and just works with people like Pate because they're the best way to flush out immortals like Alice and Sedna so he can hunt them down?  We'll probably find out in the month ahead. 

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #3 on: 01 Oct 2016, 06:05 »

I voted 'yes' but only a certain value of 'yes'. I think that they'll make their escape but it will be a close one and the two Super-Soldiers will end up injured. Gavia and Ardent will thus find themselves in the difficult position of being care-givers (a responsibility far beyond anything they've had before and one they are ill-equipped on a mental or emotional level to bear).
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #4 on: 01 Oct 2016, 10:59 »

I'm getting a Mad Maxy vibe here. We have met an imposing lady running a small community in the desert. We have met the local MasterBlaster. A chase scene may be coming up...

Probably no member of our party of four will die. But they may get separated. It could easily happen that Alice and the Vicissitudes need to make a run for it, and cannot wait for Sedna. They will be worried sick, but they will be reunited a few dozen (or hundred) strips further down.

Or, they start the run together and Bad News and Pate begin their chase (Sedna's sabotage not getting noticed and/or not taking effect immediately). They are about to catch up our struthi powered friends when the sabotage finally ruins their engine. If this were a movie, Sedna would leap from the cart to their carriage to complete the sabotage. A fight scene on the roof ensues...

Can we squeeze more tropes in there?

---

Anyway I picked the "Sedna will get captured" -option in the poll because it is closest to my theory that: they need to leave without Sedna, thinking that she may be captured or killed, but she really wasn't and comes to their aid at a later critical stage.
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2016, 11:05 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #5 on: 02 Oct 2016, 00:06 »

Ardent will be captured.

Gavia will ultimately need to overcome her resentment to rescue him.

One of my few bouts of speculation.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #6 on: 02 Oct 2016, 06:15 »

Ardent will be captured.

Gavia wouldn't need to overcome her resentment to rescue Ardent.  The desire to return home is all the motivation she needs.

Pogopotamus

• Plantmonster
« Reply #7 on: 02 Oct 2016, 14:21 »

I do hope Jeph avoids tropes or some interminable chase sequence. Jeph is taking some chances with this webcomic and honestly it's really his best work to date blending action, adventure, comedy and a great storyline together.  QC is a great webcomic, but there's a bit of a "small world" feeling to it because of the intimate nature of the interactions and somewhat repetitive gags. Nothing wrong with that, but the fresh, expansive nature of Alice Grove is (IMO) more interesting.   

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #8 on: 03 Oct 2016, 03:47 »

Ardent will be captured.

Gavia wouldn't need to overcome her resentment to rescue Ardent.  The desire to return home is all the motivation she needs.

Yes, that ought to be enough to overcome her resentment. Probably.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 03 Oct 2016, 05:49 »

Ardent will be captured.

Yes, that ought to be enough to overcome her resentment. Probably.

But's it's not really overcoming resentment.  It's treating Ardent as a means to an end and once that end is achieved she can do as intended and be rid of him.

Perhaps this is for the best albeit temporarily since they may learn more about themselves if they are separated for awhile.  One possibility within the ones listed is they get away, but have to split up since Mr. Bad News can't chase 2 groups headed in opposite directions.  Gavia seems more adept at surviving than her brother so perhaps some time away with Alice or Sedna may be good for her and everyone else involved.  I think deep down she doesn't really hate him, but to blame the praeses is like blaming her parents or gods and she refuses to consider the possibility that she was a disposable pawn in whatever game they are playing.  Can you blame her?     

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #10 on: 03 Oct 2016, 15:41 »

Third of the month! I think this is the earliest I've remembered that there's a new thread every month in quite some time.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #11 on: 03 Oct 2016, 15:47 »

or is it time for a PLOT TWIST?!?!
(click to show/hide)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #12 on: 04 Oct 2016, 06:41 »

Hmmm... I wonder if Pate's glasses are depicted as such to vsually represent that he's blinded by his own ambition?

His body guard also has a thing going on with his eyes. Possibly heterochromia, or perhaps he's blind in one eye (or used to be). Either way, more potential symbolism.

« Last Edit: 05 Oct 2016, 12:28 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #13 on: 04 Oct 2016, 07:51 »

I'm just trying to parse Gavia's expression in that last panel.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #14 on: 04 Oct 2016, 15:03 »

I'm just trying to parse Gavia's expression in that last panel.

Concern mostly.  I'm not sure what all Alice told her, but if they are leaving abruptly and secretly then she probably concluded that one of the new arrivals must be more powerful and considering what she knows Alice and Sedna are capable of that would be a very big cause for concern.  I would also add a tinge of frustration since this was the best chance to get home and it will either be postponed or they'll have to find another hidden bunker with a spaceship inside.   

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #15 on: 04 Oct 2016, 20:46 »

Yea, I picked up on the emotion, just trying to attach it to a specific cause. Admittedly, it's an odd and troubling situation, I'm just curious what particular aspect has her concerned.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Eversist

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #16 on: 05 Oct 2016, 08:00 »

Just noticed this detail when checking for an update today... Don't see it mentioned here yet. Heh.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #17 on: 05 Oct 2016, 09:12 »

Staring up blue boy's nose?
@syleegrrl

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #18 on: 05 Oct 2016, 11:33 »

Yea, I picked up on the emotion, just trying to attach it to a specific cause. Admittedly, it's an odd and troubling situation, I'm just curious what particular aspect has her concerned.

Yeah. Not at all clear to me whether the concern is actually about the well being of her brother, or her pondering why Alice changed their plan all of a sudden.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #19 on: 05 Oct 2016, 13:36 »

Just noticed this detail when checking for an update today... Don't see it mentioned here yet. Heh.

I did, but just attributed it to an animation error.  Just like when Ardent is seen with a shirt on in one panel and then its gone in another where there wasn't a passage of time long enough for its removal.  While it's possible that Ardent could be carried away with Alice gripping him that way it cannot be good for his back.   

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #20 on: 06 Oct 2016, 08:05 »

Probably wondering what Alice will do when Ardent throws up all over the back of her dungarees...

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #21 on: 06 Oct 2016, 08:22 »

Probably wondering what Alice will do when Ardent throws up all over the back of her dungarees...
Instinctively toss him a half mile away?
@syleegrrl

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #22 on: 06 Oct 2016, 08:23 »

Probably just hold him out at arm's length with one hand as soon as she feels the heaving.

retrosteve

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Very slow tourist
« Reply #23 on: 06 Oct 2016, 20:10 »

Hey, is it just me, or does Ellie look (in panel 3) like she might even be considering his proposition?
Thinks too much.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #24 on: 06 Oct 2016, 20:40 »

I think she's long figured out that he's harmless and is just amused at this point. Plus, he's drunkenly waving goodbye in that panel.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 06 Oct 2016, 22:53 »

He's actually mostly harmless.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #26 on: 08 Oct 2016, 08:35 »

As Ardent waves goodbye, "so long, and thanks for all the beer".

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #27 on: 08 Oct 2016, 12:29 »

Up.

He looms.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #28 on: 08 Oct 2016, 12:32 »

Maybe he does want to be friends.  For Sedna's sake I hope so or if he's smart enough to realize that if she's there Alice will be getting away with the space dwellers and will run off to stop them rather than kill her. 

And from the looks of it that carriage isn't solar paneled and that one pane above the driver is probably a windshield. 

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 08 Oct 2016, 13:00 »

Ohhhhhhhhhhh

Shit
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #30 on: 08 Oct 2016, 13:19 »

Funny, I don't think he's a big softie like Elliot.

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #31 on: 08 Oct 2016, 13:33 »

I'm hoping against hope that he's got a set of jacks in his pocket.

[Many brownie points for anyone who catches the reference.]

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #32 on: 08 Oct 2016, 13:40 »

Maybe Alice is wrong and he's just a big guy with mismatched irises.

I will say that Loom catching them trying to escape is about the least surprising story element I've seen in AG.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #33 on: 08 Oct 2016, 14:21 »

Without a doubt he's big, but what's interesting is how someone that size continuously sneaks up on people.  Is it super speed or can he fly?

Pogopotamus

• Plantmonster
« Reply #34 on: 08 Oct 2016, 14:26 »

It would actually be more interesting if they don't fight. Jeph is pulling the tension band tight. It will be interesting to see if the big guy is more than a murderbot.   

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #35 on: 08 Oct 2016, 15:13 »

Yeah, okay, hands up whoever didn't see this one coming? Anyone? Anyone?

Now, if Sedna is smart, she'll run like fun, fun, fun and not look back. The problem is that no-one has ever accused her of being particularly smart, especially when it comes to her 'fighting things is fun' issue.
~~~~

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #36 on: 08 Oct 2016, 15:37 »

Yeah, okay, hands up whoever didn't see this one coming? Anyone? Anyone?

Now, if Sedna is smart, she'll run like fun, fun, fun and not look back. The problem is that no-one has ever accused her of being particularly smart, especially when it comes to her 'fighting things is fun' issue.

Maybe, but with Alice she was fighting someone who even if they won wasn't going to kill her.  She doesn't know that with Mr. Bad News so it might be flight before fight this time. 

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #37 on: 08 Oct 2016, 16:35 »

The obvious move is to grab the truck and swing it at him
@syleegrrl

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #38 on: 09 Oct 2016, 00:16 »

If I were Jeph, I wouldn't even show the Sedna-Bad News fight. Instead I'd cut back to Alice & Kids waiting nervously, then making a break for it, then running into Bad News who effortlessly stops their wagon. Next strip, worse-for-wear Alice gets thrown into indestructible cell with worse-for-wear Sedna, and kids have an exposition-fest with Pate.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #39 on: 09 Oct 2016, 03:12 »

Without a doubt he's big, but what's interesting is how someone that size continuously sneaks up on people.  Is it super speed or can he fly?

Seriously.

Sedna, assuming basic tactical competence, would have checked on Mr. Bad News's whereabouts before she started.

There's a story behind how he surprised her.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #40 on: 09 Oct 2016, 05:21 »

Seriously.

Sedna, assuming basic tactical competence, would have checked on Mr. Bad News's whereabouts before she started.

There's a story behind how he surprised her.

Maybe he has a cloaking device.  I forgot to consider that possibility.  It seems likely enough if Alice can generate some kind of shielding around her body then having some ability to bend light and possibly negate soundwaves seems possible. 

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #41 on: 09 Oct 2016, 05:42 »

I'm still convinced that he something designed specially to take down super-soldiers. I which case, he may have some type of adaptation that specifically defeats their enhanced senses. Not a 'cloak' in the common sense but, rather, a jammer. It would probably not have worked on Ardent or Gavia.
~~~~

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #42 on: 09 Oct 2016, 08:10 »

In Sergio Leone's classic The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, there's a convention that if the camera cannot see something, then neither can the characters in shot. On multiple occasions, this allows surprise entrances by characters who logically should have been seen approaching. Roger Ebert explains:
In these opening frames, Sergio Leone established a rule that he follows throughout "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly." The rule is that the ability to see is limited by the sides of the frame. At important moments in the film, what the camera cannot see, the characters cannot see, and that gives Leone the freedom to surprise us with entrances that cannot be explained by the practical geography of his shots.

There is a moment, for example, when men do not notice a vast encampment of the Union Army until they stumble upon it. And a moment in a cemetery when a man materializes out of thin air even though he should have been visible for a mile.

Jeph doesn't need to explain how Bad News materializes out of thin air either. The old storytelling adage is "show, don't tell." Keep showing Bad News doing this, and it'll just be part of the character.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #43 on: 10 Oct 2016, 14:31 »

For those interested in Jeph's conceptional continuity, "quietly looming" has appeared as a character trait in QC's Elliot: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1868

He's also intimated that it's a phenomenon he knows first-hand because of his own size.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #44 on: 12 Oct 2016, 11:18 »

doh. I just noticed a little inconsistency in Pate's wagon... 4 wheels/2 axles when it first appeared and 6 wheels 3 axles now ...

unless Ellie's got a mechanic's shop at the site that works on late model carriages and I should Really Just Relax  :-)

retrosteve

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Very slow tourist
« Reply #45 on: 12 Oct 2016, 13:21 »

With all due respect to Jim Butcher, I have just dubbed the big guy He Who Looms Behind.
Thinks too much.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #46 on: 12 Oct 2016, 14:16 »

He Who Looms Behind.

I was calling him "Heterochromia Goon" in the expectation that there would be other Goons that would take other Modifiers, but Pate appears to only need one Goon.

SO FAR.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #47 on: 12 Oct 2016, 22:32 »

Quote from: Sedna
do I go subtle

If she ever does, it will be a side of her character we have not seen before.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #48 on: 13 Oct 2016, 01:17 »

doh. I just noticed a little inconsistency in Pate's wagon... 4 wheels/2 axles when it first appeared and 6 wheels 3 axles now ...

unless Ellie's got a mechanic's shop at the site that works on late model carriages and I should Really Just Relax  :-)

From the angle where we first see Pate's carriage it's difficult to tell since his arm is blocking the rear axle. 

He Who Looms Behind.

I was calling him "Heterochromia Goon" in the expectation that there would be other Goons that would take other Modifiers, but Pate appears to only need one Goon.

SO FAR.

Until I know otherwise I'm still calling him Mr. Bad News. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #49 on: 13 Oct 2016, 01:41 »

Loomis.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up