Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who Is Fairy Girl?

Just another eccentric citizen of Northampton;
Santa's weirdest elf;
Hannelore's defective clone-twin;
Penny's odd sister who wishes to spread cheer whereever she goes;
An employee of Hanners' father or mother who is there to ensure all the androids remain ignorant of their true natures;
An employee of Northampton County, who is responsible for building festival hype;
A creation of Emily's imagination (which she believes in so totally, she's gained physical form);
A metaphysical balance to Faye's dour cynicism and pessimism created by some odd narrative magic;
Pizza Girl when she's off duty.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3331-3335 (17 to 21 October 2016)  (Read 24781 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
WCDT Strips 3331-3335 (17 to 21 October 2016)
« on: 16 Oct 2016, 12:56 »

Okay, inspiration struck! Who is Fairy Girl?

I genuinely think that she may be a county employee who dresses up in costume to get the citizens in the mood for Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving or whatever. It is purely a personal eccentricity that each costume has a fairy theme. :lol:

So, what's going to happen this week? I'm predicting Faye and Bubbles at the apartment. Whilst they are being awkward and Bubbles is visibly restraining herself from killing Pintsize, I suspect that odd things may be up at the Skate Park. Such as what? Such as a hurried evacuation (in response to police interest) to 'Site B' that will leave a puzzled Bubbles and Faye returning to a totally empty building. The lesson, ladies and gentlemen? Don't take long breaks without your boss's knowledge. You might miss something important!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
Re: WCDT Strips 3331-3335 (17 to 21 October 2016)
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2016, 21:41 »

There seem to be a lot of noisy raccoons in this town.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2016, 21:51 »

There seem to be a lot of noisy raccoons in this town.

Had them in my attic once; they are not quiet animals.

If Lilac is a real LEO, why is she hiding from Bubbles? Messing with LEO's is a short trip to a world of hurt, I should think, so she's safe (even aside from the "robot's core selves are impregnable" bit).

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2016, 21:53 »

Interesting.  It looks like the comic which actually had robocop's name was a Patreon-only bonus.  I guess it'll have to wait until it hits a live comic to use it.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2016, 21:55 »

The strip is funny, but if Detective Lilac has the same kind of emotional responses as a carbon-based cop, she's going to take this personally.

Hiding from Bubbles makes some sense in general, but it's not likely what she was taught in police academy. I would also have expected her to have some better plan in mind for a meeting with Bubbles, like maybe "Hello. I am streaming this conversation to a cloud server and have two off-site backups in the last 24 hours. Those are standard safety precautions, though, not anything I need to do around someone who's served her country. There is another service you can provide ...".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2016, 00:13 »

I've got to say that Bubbles could not have made her life worse if she'd tried. I mean, in legal terms, Bubbles did nothing wrong. Did she try to trap a cop? No, Lilac hid and didn't identify herself, so any decent lawyer could claim that Bubbles literally had no idea that a cop was in the bottom trash can.

However, in the real world, Lilac must know why Bubbles did what she did. There are a thousand and one ways that a cop could make the life of someone like Bubbles very, very difficult. She doesn't even need to arrest her; just make sure uniforms know that she is a 'person of interest' and that her every public appearance needs to be scrutinised and doing even the simplest thing made amazingly inconvenient to the point where her friends start ostracising her as 'the cop magnet' and every shop knows that letting her come through the door inevitably leads to a raid a few days later.

Bubbles' actions were understandable but, ultimately, horribly self-destructive.
~~~~

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2016, 01:17 »

No, Lilac hid and didn't identify herself, so any decent lawyer could claim that Bubbles literally had no idea that a cop was in the bottom trash can.

As a point of interest, robocop is in the top bin. Compare relation to drainpipe and litter. Bubbles is strong.

Doc

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2016, 02:19 »

Don't bully the racoons!   :x

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2016, 03:43 »

I've got to say that Bubbles could not have made her life worse if she'd tried. I mean, in legal terms, Bubbles did nothing wrong. Did she try to trap a cop? No, Lilac hid and didn't identify herself, so any decent lawyer could claim that Bubbles literally had no idea that a cop was in the bottom trash can.

However, in the real world, Lilac must know why Bubbles did what she did. There are a thousand and one ways that a cop could make the life of someone like Bubbles very, very difficult. She doesn't even need to arrest her; just make sure uniforms know that she is a 'person of interest' and that her every public appearance needs to be scrutinised and doing even the simplest thing made amazingly inconvenient to the point where her friends start ostracising her as 'the cop magnet' and every shop knows that letting her come through the door inevitably leads to a raid a few days later.

Bubbles' actions were understandable but, ultimately, horribly self-destructive.

All very true.

However, 1) The folks in the OCverse seem to be all-around generally less crappy than those of our world (for now) and 2) Detective Lilac also can't even prove that Bubbles is the one who stacked the cans.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2016, 04:30 »

Especially given Faye has prior convictions for stacked cans.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2016, 04:33 »

Detective Lilac also can't even prove that Bubbles is the one who stacked the cans.

It's not about proof, or even due process. Police in the U.S. have a good deal of latitude for harassing ordinary citizens for any reason. Perhaps you've heard, there's been some controversy about it lately. Getting on Lilac's bad side ought to be a bad move even without explicit legal action.

I'm starting to wonder if there's a pecking order among QC law enforcement, with the AI-focussed services at a lower social rung. This would explain why Lilac hid from Bubbles; she can't count on the same reflexive defense from her fellow officers that human LEOs get.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2016, 06:20 »

Or maybe she's trying to provoke the officer into doing something rash.  Bubbles is a soldier so she may be thinking strategically.

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #12 on: 17 Oct 2016, 07:41 »

Some great art.

In a world with A.I. and drones, following some-one seems pleasingly archaic.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2016, 08:34 »

Don't bully the racoons!   :x

That's Cyril Sneer's job!

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2016, 09:10 »

Some great art.

In a world with A.I. and drones, following some-one seems pleasingly archaic.

You mean like the AI that is following them?
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #15 on: 17 Oct 2016, 10:03 »

<snip>
It's not about proof, or even due process. Police in the U.S. have a good deal of latitude for harassing ordinary citizens for any reason. Perhaps you've heard, there's been some controversy about it lately. Getting on Lilac's bad side ought to be a bad move even without explicit legal action.
<snip>

That's where Gyrre's "less crappy" comes into the picture. My first reaction was your first reaction, even if Bubbles were not so legally vulnerable. On the other hand we've never heard even a hint about, say, Dale being hassled by cops when he was constantly on the road in white neighborhoods. That's a much different thing from a cop being personally humiliated, of course. But it's a flimsy piece of evidence that they have a lower level of hassle-pronenesss than in our world.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #16 on: 17 Oct 2016, 10:29 »

This page to me adds more weight to my theory that Officer Lilac is stalking the fight club as a personal project. By her own admission the police know about it, but don't care to do anything to shut it down, even though they could easily do so. So either they've been well paid to look the other way, or they don't consider it worth their time. The only one who seems to be investigating it is Lilac, and she has apparently been doing so long enough that Corpse Witch considers her just part of the whole thing. And importantly is well aware of her. Add in the general tone of the comic as a whole and this all seems to add up to 'idealistic rookie trying to do the right thing by shutting down the evil criminal organization and everyone else thing she's a big joke'. That said, it probably means that, unlike real life, her veiled threats to Faye really don't have a lot of teeth behind them. Lilac's department probably has no interest in the case or shutting down the fight club, unless it's revealed that there are robots being taken advantage of. And honestly in that case both Faye and Bubbles would probably turn on Corpse Witch after finding that out anyway.

Otl1973

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2016, 11:31 »

(and numerous other comments by other posters...)

I understand that a lot of posters here take almost everything very seriously, but really?  It was a gag in a (mostly) humorous comic strip.  Sometimes a gag is just a gag...

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #18 on: 17 Oct 2016, 11:42 »

You're absolutely right.

Over-analyzing is a game here.

Lilac hinted that Corpse Witch is connected, or Connected, to people doing some actual bad things and that the fight club is simply her stepping-stone up to the real criminals.

If it were our universe, the legal system is in such bad shape that I can think of at least three Federal felonies Faye could be charged with. FSM help her if Corpse Witch has a drug business on the side.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #19 on: 17 Oct 2016, 13:00 »

You're absolutely right.

Over-analyzing is a game here.

Lilac hinted that Corpse Witch is connected, or Connected, to people doing some actual bad things and that the fight club is simply her stepping-stone up to the real criminals.

If it were our universe, the legal system is in such bad shape that I can think of at least three Federal felonies Faye could be charged with. FSM help her if Corpse Witch has a drug business on the side.
Heck they don't even need all that to charge someone for being - insert anything you can think of since it doesn't have to be on the books to get arrested, jailed, beaten or worse - this is because cops don't need to know the law but just have to feel that a law was broken.  Oh and there is no personal responsibility if they screw up.

Yeah - I will stick with a fantasy world were cops are nice people looking out for your well being and interns sometimes do stupid stuff. Maybe one of the Nordic countries since this crap is seeping north.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 17 Oct 2016, 13:58 »

I don't think she's found a very good place  to hide there.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Truec

• Furry furrier
« Reply #21 on: 17 Oct 2016, 15:21 »

I don't see why Bubbles even did that.  It accomplished nothing except for probably pissing off Robocop.  It seems out of character for her.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #22 on: 17 Oct 2016, 15:24 »

My best guess as to motive is that it was revenge for upsetting Faye and adding complications to a life already too full of them.
~~~~

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #23 on: 17 Oct 2016, 16:34 »

What police officer? All I see is a garbage can with a loose lid.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #24 on: 17 Oct 2016, 17:56 »

What police officer? All I see is a garbage can with a loose lid.

I thought that it contained a raccoon and my friend has had problems with raccoons in the past:
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=541
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1155 and http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1156
Francisco

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #25 on: 17 Oct 2016, 17:58 »

Well, it could have been so that Lilac couldn't follow them any further. By the time she gets out, Faye and Bubbles will be long gone. I'm sure Bubbles didn't want any annoying surveillance.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #26 on: 17 Oct 2016, 18:33 »

My best guess as to motive is that it was revenge for upsetting Faye and adding complications to a life already too full of them.

Having Bubbles try to help in your life might just add complications itself.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #27 on: 17 Oct 2016, 19:07 »

Trying to climb out of a garbage can is one thing.

Trying to climb out of a garbage can that's on top of another garbage can is another thing altogether.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #28 on: 17 Oct 2016, 19:36 »

At least it wasn't an owl.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #29 on: 17 Oct 2016, 19:43 »

With regards to Cogney (or is that Laser) making things difficult for Bubbles.

Errr, would you really and I mean really want to make an enemy out of a Combat Chassis'd AI like Bubbles? Bubbles wouldn't have to lay a finger on her, and despite what she might think of herself, soldiers do watch out for other soldiers, so if any word of trouble were to make it back to any members of her unit, those soldiers might make things difficult for our gumshoe gynoid.

I mean, there's dumb and then there's really stupid.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #30 on: 17 Oct 2016, 21:20 »

Bubbles dropped a broad hint that there are no surviving members of her unit.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #31 on: 17 Oct 2016, 21:30 »

Bubbles dropped a broad hint that there are no surviving members of her unit.

Fair enough, but there are entire BRANCHES which take certain behaviors...personally.

Primary example: USMC.
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #32 on: 17 Oct 2016, 22:16 »

The same goes for police. Now, assume that Lilac made an issue of this. She could bring a whole host of legal problems down on Bubbles. What are Bubbles hypothetical army buddies going to do about this? Especially given the fact that Bubbles is actually guilty of several crimes. Most recent of which could be obstruction of a police officer in the line of duty. Not that I think something like that would happen, but just pointing out in this situation, the police officer has all the power. Aside from making sure Bubbles has a lawyer on call, there's nothing the Army or her military buddies, if she has any, can do here that wouldn't make things a whole lot worse.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #33 on: 17 Oct 2016, 22:32 »

She didn't really hurt her, just stuck the bin she was hiding on top of a less stable one.  Wouldn't have been much of a fall and she is an AntroPC after all, so no bruises.

Ugh

Cheap Tea.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #34 on: 17 Oct 2016, 23:16 »

Who would have guessed an AI could pull a face like that?
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Phaedrus_schmaedrus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #35 on: 17 Oct 2016, 23:20 »

I'm a big fan of this visual metaphor.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #36 on: 18 Oct 2016, 00:15 »

Ah, Lipton's: The AOL of teas. Claire should see if there's any artisanal sarsaparilla left for Bubbles to sniff.

NyxDarkness

• Plantmonster
« Reply #37 on: 18 Oct 2016, 00:29 »

Amongst all this controversy, I would just like to say that I totally ship Faye x Bubbles! they're so cute! That last panel in #3330 is just the best thing. Ever.

(Mod note: they're cute but let's please back away from shipping them)
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2016, 10:38 by Is it cold in here? »

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #38 on: 18 Oct 2016, 01:08 »

Breakfast teas are not for the sniffing; unlike herbal teas, their magic is in their taste. Of course, I doubt that Bubbles' chassis is rigged for that sort of thing. It's interesting that Bubbles still gets the general theme, even if it is far less elaborate. Does this indicate an interest in her mind or is it just something all teas do for her in different ways? I wonder what the scent of coffee does for her?
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2016, 01:20 by BenRG »
~~~~

Doc

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #39 on: 18 Oct 2016, 01:19 »

A horse in the rain with a spear in its head.
That tea is awful!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #40 on: 18 Oct 2016, 03:10 »

Breakfast teas are not for the sniffing; unlike herbal teas, their magic is in their taste.
Teas can be appreciated for fragrance and flavour, and typically the quality of the tea is equally reflected in both. If one is going all-out to prepare tea formally for guests, one provides a "fragrance cup" to each guest as well as a "tasting cup", and there is an elaborate technique for transferring the tea from one to the other.

Claire is apprently a heretic who uses tea-bags, so I'm not surprised that the fragrance is coarse and unrefined. :-P
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Gyrre

« Reply #41 on: 18 Oct 2016, 04:50 »

I followed HiFranc's raccoon links and wound up on page 543. I had forgotten that Dave Davenport and Helen B. Narnon of Narbonic had made a cameo in QC.
The Skin Horse comic I reference from time to time  is set in the same universe as Narbonic.

Ah, Lipton's: The AOL of teas. Claire should see if there's any artisanal sarsaparilla left for Bubbles to sniff.
Oooh!
I wonder what sort of mythological creatures that would conjure up?  Maybe a deer woman?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #42 on: 18 Oct 2016, 05:47 »

Strangely enough I sympathize with Bubbles since I had the same reaction drinking Jasmine Green Tea as I read the strip.  It was a new flavor I was sampling and I'm not a fan. 

Breakfast teas are not for the sniffing; unlike herbal teas, their magic is in their taste.
Teas can be appreciated for fragrance and flavour, and typically the quality of the tea is equally reflected in both. If one is going all-out to prepare tea formally for guests, one provides a "fragrance cup" to each guest as well as a "tasting cup", and there is an elaborate technique for transferring the tea from one to the other.

Claire is apprently a heretic who uses tea-bags, so I'm not surprised that the fragrance is coarse and unrefined. :-P

How is tea supposed to be prepared?  Aside from restaurants that serve Asian cuisine I always drink tea from a cup and a bag.  The only difference is I never use a pot.  Always the microwave. 

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #43 on: 18 Oct 2016, 07:52 »

Claire is an amateur. Hannelore is a professional. It makes all the difference.  :lol:
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #44 on: 18 Oct 2016, 08:18 »

I am not a tea snob, but I sympathize with those who are as I am a coffee snob.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #45 on: 18 Oct 2016, 08:56 »

How is tea supposed to be prepared?  Aside from restaurants that serve Asian cuisine I always drink tea from a cup and a bag.  The only difference is I never use a pot.  Always the microwave.

And future forumites will speak of the days where the UK contingent tore each other into tiny pieces arguing about the specifics.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #46 on: 18 Oct 2016, 09:05 »

Honestly there's only one way this discussion should go before the torches and pitchforks are broken out....

Also, you should never use a microwave to make tea; you have no control over the temperature of the water. You're going to end up with incredibly hot water that cools far too quickly, point is you aren't going to get uniformly heated water. Its best to just use an electric kettle or stove-top kettle.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #47 on: 18 Oct 2016, 09:14 »

How you boil the water is meaningless so long as you take steps to ensure the water has had time to even out its temperature across the container. In my view, it is how you actually brew the tea that strongly influences the aroma and taste of the resulting beverage.

Additionally, as Hedgie points out, people develop strong preferences to certain methods and certain outcomes. Sometimes these are hereditary traditions, handed down from mother to daughter for generations and take on the form of identifiers of your social acceptability. Indeed, deviating from these assumed 'norms' are a cause of horror completely out of proportion to their actual effect on the drinking experience.

A good example: When making a bag-in-the-cup picnic tea, when does one put in the milk (for English tea is commonly diluted by a small amount, say about 50-100ml, of milk)? To me, putting the teabag in with the milk is ridiculous as it will completely change how the brewed tea tastes; yet, to my mother, not putting milk into the cup before the tea (a reflexive pattern that assumes you brew the tea in a separate pot - either with bags tea in a strainer) is unthinkable and, indeed, a gross social indiscretion as well as a cause for personal shame. We have had quite serious public arguments about it.
~~~~

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #48 on: 18 Oct 2016, 09:32 »

I was told milk and sugar go in first because the milk has time to melt the sugar. Google says it's because hot tea could potentially crack hot cups in the days when tea cups were poorly manufactured, and putting the milk in first was to ensure the cup wouldn't crack.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #49 on: 18 Oct 2016, 09:48 »

I'm out of milk, and don't really do sugar, so I'm just drinking it straight at this moment.  Although I'm sure that Akima will be inwardly laughing at how I'm drinking lapsang souchong right now (and probably my Romanisation as well).
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2016, 11:50 by hedgie »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up