Ask about hair.
Pound Pintsize.
Squash spiders in the basement.
Get Awkward with Elliot.
Purple Monkey Dishwashers
Something Completely Different
Speculate wildly!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: Strips 3336-3340 (24-28 October 2016)  (Read 30869 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: WCDT: Strips 3336-3340 (24-28 October 2016)
« Reply #50 on: 26 Oct 2016, 00:35 »

@pwhodges,

They'd actually fixed the damage caused by the reindeer. However, immediately after Strip 3336, Faye put the dent back into Pintsize's head (along with the rolling pin) when he asked Bubbles and indelicate question.

Oops - blinked and missed it.  Sorry, move along, nothing to see here...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #51 on: 26 Oct 2016, 01:10 »

Marten, try saying "Klaatu barada nikto!"
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #52 on: 26 Oct 2016, 02:32 »

What Marten heard: "Be Frightened!" ... "Harm!"
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #53 on: 26 Oct 2016, 06:33 »

Maybe she's just nervous around Marten.  Her first meeting didn't go that well. 

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #54 on: 26 Oct 2016, 08:03 »

"Don't worry! She's more afraid of you than you are af... Oh dear ..."
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #55 on: 26 Oct 2016, 08:04 »

You mean when she loomed over him in a doorway and shouted at him? The dude flinches around Elliot, who is about as much a softie as can be. It's probably mostly luck Marten has fainted in the face of looming Bubbles yet.

theMarc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Oh God, it's all over my body.
« Reply #56 on: 26 Oct 2016, 08:20 »

Secondly, Goddammit, the commentary under the comic is giving me a mental image of Pintsize having a pube collection. Like, some people collect trading cards, others collect stamps or figurines, but Pintsize has a collector's case for his pube collection. And now I'm thinking about how Pintsize went about acquiring all those pubes. Ugh...

Dude, he totally does.
That just raises even more questions. Like "Who else has he collected pubes from?" and "How did he get those pubes?" and "How does one go about getting a restraining order? Hypothetically speaking."
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #57 on: 26 Oct 2016, 08:53 »

Secondly, Goddammit, the commentary under the comic is giving me a mental image of Pintsize having a pube collection. Like, some people collect trading cards, others collect stamps or figurines, but Pintsize has a collector's case for his pube collection. And now I'm thinking about how Pintsize went about acquiring all those pubes. Ugh...

Dude, he totally does.
That just raises even more questions. Like "Who else has he collected pubes from?" and "How did he get those pubes?" and "How does one go about getting a restraining order? Hypothetically speaking."

Ok, I put forth the motion to amend Rule 34 as follows:
* Rule 34 c) "Any and every really disturbing mental imagery relating to the human reproductive system has already been foreseen & realized by Pintsize"
* Rule 34 d) "Though shalt not try to verify Rule 34 c), for your own good"
* Rule 34 e-j) "No, srsly - DON'T!"

Now, where did I put the brain-bleach ...?

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #58 on: 26 Oct 2016, 11:22 »

Nice and subtle there Bubbles.

Worked well  :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #59 on: 26 Oct 2016, 12:00 »

"Don't worry! She's more afraid of you than you are af... Oh dear ..."

But as I also say about Grizzly Bears: they may be more afraid of you than you are of them, but their go-to reaction to something that they're afraid of is to kill and dismember it.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #60 on: 26 Oct 2016, 12:51 »

I want to call Marten a total coward here, but Bubbles' loud and looming approach is just not friendly. I'd be flinching a couple of steps back just by reflex myself.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

willpell

• Plantmonster
« Reply #61 on: 26 Oct 2016, 15:43 »

Strictly as my own personal opinion, the exquisite oversensitivity on display in Tuesday's comic nauseates me.  I will say no more than this.

But as I also say about Grizzly Bears: they may be more afraid of you than you are of them, but their go-to reaction to something that they're afraid of is to kill and dismember it.

Much like humans.  Except bears are less creative when it comes to imagining potential future threats that they should probably annihilate now, just to be safe.
"From the moment I wake, it rains grenades, so I scribble on the page and reality fades."
--Otep, "Serv Asat"

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #62 on: 26 Oct 2016, 16:12 »

Strictly as my own personal opinion, the exquisite oversensitivity on display in Tuesday's comic nauseates me.  I will say no more than this.

Some people say what they feel and let the proverbial chips fall where they may, offense be damned, etc. Others try very hard not to offend others, especially if they're trying to make friends. Different social circles, different norms.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #63 on: 26 Oct 2016, 16:47 »

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the idea of someone being offended by the fact that someone else is trying not to be offensive. No offense meant.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #64 on: 26 Oct 2016, 17:06 »

"Life's too short to waste it on being offended."

-says the straight white CIS guy. It's easy to be cavalier about things when your privilege bubble is several layers thick.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #65 on: 26 Oct 2016, 18:50 »

Comic's up.

It appears there is one thing that everyone in the QCverse can agree on: Faye's butt.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #66 on: 26 Oct 2016, 19:03 »

I love Marten's deadpan reaction.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

winter

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #67 on: 26 Oct 2016, 19:14 »

okay bubbles is 10000% gay for faye it was obvious before but there's really no denying it now. i for one wish the new butch/butch-robot couple all the best

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #68 on: 26 Oct 2016, 19:18 »

To Pwhodges:

When the comments sound like they are coming from an alternate universe, it usually means I've skipped a comic.

Usually.

What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #69 on: 26 Oct 2016, 20:07 »

I thought it was her boobs that Faye tended to yell about.  Bubbles is so adorable here, being all shy about liking Faye's butt.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #70 on: 26 Oct 2016, 22:06 »

I love Marten's deadpan reaction.

right now, Marten would agree to just about anything that means he doesn't have to come back into the same room with the big scary metal lady.

Storel

« Reply #71 on: 26 Oct 2016, 22:07 »

okay bubbles is 10000% gay for faye it was obvious before but there's really no denying it now. i for one wish the new butch/butch-robot couple all the best

I don't think she's nervous about commenting because it's Faye's butt in particular, she's just never commented about anyone's butt before and she's not sure how to without causing offense.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #72 on: 26 Oct 2016, 23:43 »

After thinking for a few minutes, the thing that I realise that struck me the most about the fourth panel is how natural it all seems - three ladies interacting together and teasing each other. You could see it happen anywhere. The fact that the said three ladies come from the most different and unusual background as you could imagine simply doesn't come into it. They're just friends and that is something that Bubbles needs and deserves; I'm glad that she's found it.

As a side note, based on Claire's reaction to the butt reference, I'm wondering how many times she and Faye have talked about body image and the best way to compensate that has turned into a competition in being outrageous around poor, innocent Marten.

I don't think she's nervous about commenting because it's Faye's butt in particular, she's just never commented about anyone's butt before and she's not sure how to without causing offense.

The subject does startle her but you have to admit that it's probably significant that she doesn't quite know what to say. Early-model Bubbles would say: "I have no criteria for judging posteriors" or something like that; this one actually babbles nervously. The thing that strikes me is that there is this noticeable attraction there but that neither of them seem to really be fully aware of what their ease with each other might mean.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that Jeph is confirming that Bubbles finds Faye physically attractive.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

NyxDarkness

• Plantmonster
« Reply #73 on: 27 Oct 2016, 02:16 »

I just want to say that I support the direction that the relationship between Faye and Bubbles seems to be moving, and I do hope that it will progress further. :-D

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #74 on: 27 Oct 2016, 04:35 »

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that Jeph is confirming that Bubbles finds Faye physically attractive.

For those who might be worried about this remark in light of the forum's official stance on shipping, let me say that I think that this passes the test in that it's a straightforward and arguably justified comment on what's actually shown in the comic.  It may be wrong, as currently it's basically interpretation, but it is not arbitrary or unjustified.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #75 on: 27 Oct 2016, 05:53 »

It's probably for the best that Faye hasn't noticed Bubbles's blushing.  She's made some progress, but even good natured ribbing might ruin things. 

oddtail

« Reply #76 on: 27 Oct 2016, 05:54 »

It's probably for the best that Faye hasn't noticed Bubbles's blushing.  She's made some progress, but even good natured ribbing might ruin things.

And Faye does not exactly have a perfect track record of figuring out where "good natured" ends, anyway...

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #77 on: 27 Oct 2016, 07:34 »

As a side note, based on Claire's reaction to the butt reference, I'm wondering how many times she and Faye have talked about body image and the best way to compensate that has turned into a competition in being outrageous around poor, innocent Marten.
... poor, innocent Marten ...
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #78 on: 27 Oct 2016, 07:47 »

"Happy birthday, Grandma!"
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

heyjames4

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #79 on: 27 Oct 2016, 08:01 »

Lookit Panel 3. Faye's talking about her bottom. Bubbles is looking at Faye, is she looking at Faye's bottom or just paying attention to the person talking to her?
Claire is looking at Bubbles looking at Faye and covering her mouth as if to suppress a smile.

Then in Panel 4 Claire leans in and leads Bubbles to discuss Faye's bottom.

Is Claire shipping Bubbles/Faye? (#PeachTea)

Gyrre

« Reply #80 on: 27 Oct 2016, 13:02 »

Marten, try saying "Klaatu barada nikto!"
Hmmm.... Maybe try "Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong." if that doesn't work.

EDIT: The above "universal greeting" is from Transformers: The Movie, for those wondering. It's also in the giant isopod(?) level of War for Cybertron.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2016, 22:59 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #81 on: 27 Oct 2016, 13:47 »

With Faye being a Kinsey 0 and Bubbles a Kinsey X this is at best premature.

To me it also seems to devalue the idea of close non-sexual friendship, which we know they have and which is deepening.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #82 on: 27 Oct 2016, 14:42 »

Time shall tell.

I love Bubbles blushing though. 
James The Kugai 

TheEvilDog

« Reply #83 on: 27 Oct 2016, 14:52 »

To me it also seems to devalue the idea of close non-sexual friendship, which we know they have and which is deepening.

That has been a growing pet peeve of mine across several areas of social media over the last couple of years. People and fandoms have forgotten that not every character interaction is or needs to be romantic in nature. At times friendships can have be deeper than romantic relationships, especially when the individuals involved become better for that relationship.

Its somewhat disheartening to see that people are defaulting to the general idea of "Two people?! They gonna bone!", while the idea of friendship rots by the wayside.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #84 on: 27 Oct 2016, 15:10 »

The thing is, there has been speculation on Human/AI relationships in the Forum on and off for years. I don't remember offhand, but I think that this is something Jeph himself has weighed in on on a couple of occasions (can't remember whether he was for, against or indifferent about it - others with better memories than I can probably give you a better answer on that.)

Whether or not Jeph goes in that direction is entirely up to Jeph.  It would be interesting to see what happens IF he does decide to go that route.  I would speculate it might create the kind of Forum explosion (good and bad) that Claires introduction and eventual hookup with Marten did, but as I say, the ultimate decision on that is in Jephs hands.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2016, 15:15 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #85 on: 27 Oct 2016, 15:13 »

That has been a growing pet peeve of mine across several areas of social media over the last couple of years. People and fandoms have forgotten that not every character interaction is or needs to be romantic in nature. At times friendships can have be deeper than romantic relationships, especially when the individuals involved become better for that relationship.

Its somewhat disheartening to see that people are defaulting to the general idea of "Two people?! They gonna bone!", while the idea of friendship rots by the wayside.

I just wish to add to these excellent points that blushing pretty obviously means socially awkward and not necessarily 'romantically attracted', but people, being people, will obviously believe what they deeply want to believe.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #86 on: 27 Oct 2016, 15:20 »

The thing is, there has been speculation on Human/AI relationships in the Forum on and off for years. I don't remember offhand, but I think that this is something Jeph himself has weighed in on on a couple of occasions (can't remember whether he was for, against or indifferent about it - others with better memories than I can probably give you a better answer on that.)

If I remember correctly, Jeph said that human/AI sexual relationships were possible in the QC world, but that he didn't intend to ever show one because he wasn't comfortable with some of what that implied. Of course he may have changed his mind on this over the years, but if he has he hasn't said so.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #87 on: 27 Oct 2016, 15:27 »

True, (and thanks for the memory jog Zeb :) ), but he kept much about Claire under wraps as he slowly unfolded her Story Arc up until he revealed she was Trans, so he might go that route with a possible Bubbles/Faye hookup if he were considering to go down that Storyline.

All speculation of course, and that's part of the fun.  Just so long as we don't go down the rocky road of overspeculation and shipping.
James The Kugai 

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #88 on: 27 Oct 2016, 15:43 »

I am open to the idea of a human/AI relationship, but I think that in this specific case, the point that Is it cold in here? made trumps all.

Beyond that, if you really want to be serious about evaluating this, all you need to is to take a look at the way Faye has approached previous potential relationships. These paths were rocky, difficult, fraught with anxiety, exhibited with much defensive sparring from Faye as she felt emotionally vulnerable. Then compare that with the way Faye treats close friends, like Dora. Very relaxed, friendly sparring and ribbing, hugging and openness.

If you truly believe that Faye's attitude towards Bubbles falls into the former category and not the latter, then I would really like to see your reasoning, because it's beyond my comprehension.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #89 on: 27 Oct 2016, 16:08 »

While Jeph has said in the past that he wasn't going to show human/AI relationships, there have been some small hints in the past. Hanner's dad sending her a robo-boyfriend to practice with. Momo getting all hot and bothered about Sven. None of those went anywhere though. I would say some of May's recent showings indicated a change in that, with her desire to be intimate with humans. That doesn't mean anything will happen, or it will be shown if it does. But it does show an evolution in Jeph's attitudes towards the subject.

As far are Faye/Bubbles... I don't think so. Again, May is far more likely to be the subject of a human/AI romance story. I'm not sure if Bubbles getting flustered and blushing around Faye is a reaction to her personality, or an indication that Bubbles has an attraction to Faye. But I'm quite sure Faye doesn't feel that way about Bubbles. She has never shown any indication of attraction to women, be they robot or human. And her interactions are very much like those she had with Dora. Basically, Bubbles has become her best friend. Faye and Dora may be doing better these days, but things will never be as they were. Meanwhile Faye spends all day at work with Bubbles, and invites her to hang out after work. She is very comfortable with her, both socially and physically. Something that was pointed out she feels around friends, but not potential lovers. In the end, I just don't see the Fubble ship making it to drydock, let alone setting sail.

I am also in accord with the feeling that this is going to far. I'm all for gaying up stories more, sure. But just because two people have a close relationship doesn't mean they are going to date or have romantic feelings for one another. I guess that it is an extension of the concept that any time two people of the opposite sex get close in a story, they are going to wind up together. With more acceptance that gay people exist, now it's any time two people are close... Ignoring the fact that most of the people an average person is friendly with are not on the 'I want to date them' list...

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #90 on: 27 Oct 2016, 16:51 »

Shipping? Lools mote to me at this point that Claire is refining her game in the fine old art of Shitting the Bullshitter (in this case, the P. Peach). Faye, meanwhile, is finding out that Marten (always bereft of jealousy) posseses skin that is increasingly resistant to Getting Under.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #91 on: 27 Oct 2016, 18:08 »

Marigold said on Twitter that the military models were easy to repair.
Has anyione else noticed that the "The QC Cast on Twitter" link on the latest comic page is bwoken?
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #92 on: 27 Oct 2016, 18:16 »

With Faye being a Kinsey 0 and Bubbles a Kinsey X this is at best premature.

Bubbles's number on the Kinsey scale is imaginary.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #93 on: 27 Oct 2016, 18:54 »

Today's comic made me smile. Bubbles has apparently decided she wants Faye's friends to be her friends.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #95 on: 27 Oct 2016, 19:05 »

Bubbles's number on the Kinsey scale is imaginary.
I would have thought it was complex
(click to show/hide)
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #96 on: 27 Oct 2016, 19:27 »

Bonding moments.

Just to save you from hunting for it.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #97 on: 27 Oct 2016, 19:46 »

This is a cute strip. I like the detail that Bubbles' idea bulb is a modern energy saving kind.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #98 on: 27 Oct 2016, 19:48 »

So...is no one going to talk about the energy efficient light-bulb over Bubble's head?...

Ninja'd by Welu.

Missed opportunity there folks.

That said, she's a bright girl.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #99 on: 27 Oct 2016, 20:00 »

I talked about it...but that was yesterday in the Patreon page :P
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up