Fairy Girl
Bubbles
Faye Whitaker
Raven Pritchard
Penelope
Cosette
All of them

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3341 to 3345 (31st October to 4th November 2016)  (Read 40543 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Good thing Wil is not the curt type.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental

Theory about what's going to happen.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

They'd better keep that beer away from Hannelore, given her subconscious connection with the Great Old Ones.

Not just Hanners.  Both Dora and Emily, and probably others have done it.  I'm starting to think that QC isn't set in Northampton, but Arkham.
So could Mieville (Dora's cat) secretly be a stoner demon? Aparently Mieville gives her good advice when he's not high on catnip.

EDIT: autocorrect needs to die in a dumpster fire. Especially since it still changes words when it's turned off.
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2016, 17:17 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Faye and Renee would get along. Or kill each other immediately.
The second one, definitely. Neither of them strikes me as the type that would appreciate someone exactly like them. I'd cheer for Faye in that case as I still don't like Renee.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

Whelp, the superlative is a bit weird:
"Wormfather Skull-birthday Dark Brew" is something that should definitely exist (Yes, I've said above that "dark brew" is "dunkeles Bräu", but that sounds stupid, so it's called "Dunkelbräu", or "Dunkelbrau").

Aha, I should have realized "totenkopf" was 'skull'. I translated the component parts individually and came up with "deadhead".  8-)

Edit: That must complicate matters when translating articles about Grateful Dead fans (Deadheads) into German. How would you translate "Deadhead" without making the German readers think you're talking about skulls? (Or people who call themselves skulls, at least.)

German Deadheads call themselves Germanheads. German articles normally don't translate words whose literal translation would be ambiguous or confusing and use the original expression instead - you can check the German version of the Deadhead-wiki, e.g. The Jolly Roger would be the "Totenkopfflagge"

Ahh, interesting. Thank you for satisfying my idle curiosity!

And yes, oeoek (Bent jij Nederlander?) is correct, both about the translation and about our preference for concatenating words.

Oh, yes. I studied German in high school back in the late '70s, and I remember our German teacher telling us that the German term for the "Women's Liberation Movement" (a popular topic at the time) was "die Frauengleichberechtigungbewegung".  8-)

Basically, folks, where English uses multiword phrases, German uses multiword words. No matter how long, any phrase can be made into a compound word in German. Trust me. I'm sure Case can cite even longer examples than mine if there's any lingering doubt.  :-D
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2016, 00:47 by Storel »

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Okay, so we actually have an interesting insight into Renee here - She's a compulsive liar; she said something about Brun that Elliott knew was false (and, one assumes she knew that he knew was false) but said it anyway as if it were true. She also moves on from that without an eyeblink, which suggests that this is something she does a lot and doesn't mind being called out over because it doesn't matter to her.

Then there is the advocacy of violence; one assumes she is just joking but, again, Elliott's behaviour just doesn't seem to back up that assumption. Either she likes playing with his head or there is something quite concerning about her essential nature here. I can't quite put my finger on it but Jeph really scripted her weirdly today.

Meanwhile, something tells me that, when Brun wakes up, she will be able to define 'headache' with a precision no-one has before.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Not so much a compulsive liar as a teller of tall tales.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Ysobel

• Not quite a lurker

Being a German beer, I'm also suspecting that this thing is Reinheitsgebot-compliant... meaning the evilness needs to be entirely done in barley, hops, and yeast.

AFAIK, this applies only if you call it a "Bier". A "Bräu" can be any demonic brew you can come up with.
(Probably not really, but, anyway, rules are relaxed for non-"Bier".)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker

Okay, so we actually have an interesting insight into Renee here - She's a compulsive liar; she said something about Brun that Elliott knew was false (and, one assumes she knew that he knew was false) but said it anyway as if it were true. She also moves on from that without an eyeblink, which suggests that this is something she does a lot and doesn't mind being called out over because it doesn't matter to her.

Then there is the advocacy of violence; one assumes she is just joking but, again, Elliott's behaviour just doesn't seem to back up that assumption. Either she likes playing with his head or there is something quite concerning about her essential nature here. I can't quite put my finger on it but Jeph really scripted her weirdly today.

Meanwhile, something tells me that, when Brun wakes up, she will be able to define 'headache' with a precision no-one has before.

I'm more concerned about how much oxygen she's getting underneath that jacket. 

Case

• comeback tour!

Uh, those kinds of diagnoses mostly require observing a pattern of behaviour that we cannot claim to have seen - we see only snippets out of each characters weekly lives - as well as extensive specialized training & experience in clinical psychology. As far as I'm aware, none of us has either that training, or the opportunity.

Could just as well be "snarky fibbing" - which is a condition we all in this good thread here seem to relish 'suffering' from. :laugh:

She seems to be channelling Mieville - either that, or he is (as has been suggested upthread), a stoner demon periodically possessing female characters?

I'm more worried about Elliot, though - the last panel seems to suggest he has a suppressed 'darker side' similar to Hanners. Given his size and aptitude at physical altercations, that could become ... interesting?  :-\
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2016, 07:17 by Case »
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Case

• comeback tour!

(Double-posted & then decided to split. Sorry, folks!)

Basically, folks, where English uses multiword phrases, German uses multiword words. No matter how long, any phrase can be made into a compound word in German. Trust me. I'm sure Case can cite even longer examples than mine if there's any lingering doubt.  :-D

Since Germans regard that property of their language with the same mixture of horrified delight and morbid fascination as the rest of the world, that is not a difficult task to carry out: The officially longest word used in the German language (note: you can make endless compound words in German, the criterion is that it's actually used by people) was, until very recently *drumroll*

"Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz" (RkReÜAÜG) (Beeflabellingmonitoringtaskstransfer(by)law),

The proud 63-letter monstrosity served as title of a law within the constitution of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania that regulates how "tasks relating to the monitoring of the labelling of beef for commercial sale are transferred". And yes, that one was actually used.

Rumour has it that the unofficial motto of the "Association for the German Language" is: "To boldly go where no language has gone before".

(And if your morbid curiosity is not yet satisfied: This page should do nicely)
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2016, 11:08 by Case »

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...

> The proud 63-letter monstrosity served

Speaking of served, that's just a grunt compared to the supposed name of a dish served up in one of Classical Greek author Aristophanes' comedies - 171 letters.

While I tend to despise Wikipedia as a source, it will do for this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lopadotemachoselachogaleokranioleipsanodrimhypotrimmatosilphioparaomelitokatakechymenokichlepikossyphophattoperisteralektryonoptekephalliokigklopeleiolagoiosiraiobaphetraganopterygon

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

>the last panel seems to suggest he has a suppressed 'darker side'

Who doesn't?

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Case

• comeback tour!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lopadotemachoselachogaleokranioleipsanodrimhypotrimmatosilphioparaomelitokatakechymenokichlepikossyphophattoperisteralektryonoptekephalliokigklopeleiolagoiosiraiobaphetraganopterygon

Mmmmmhmmm, Laserwort! Yummy! (σίλφιον ‎(sílphion, “laserwort”))

>the last panel seems to suggest he has a suppressed 'darker side'

Who doesn't?

"seems to suggest he has a suppressed 'darker side' similar to Hanners' ..."  :-\
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2016, 12:34 by Case »

Tova

• coprophage

Yes, and who doesn't?   :evil:

I was actually thinking that line would have sounded natural from Marten as well.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

"Give in to your feelings Elliott and your journey to the Dark Side will be complete."

Darth Renee??

:-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

I am, admittedly, just guessing, but "Wyrm Father" (father of dragons) sounds like the kind of poetic name one would give the devil, or a demon lord.  And "Worm Father" works too, in the sense that worms eat the flesh of corpses and are therefore creepy and often used in art depicting certain areas of Hell.

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go

I like Renee less and less with every strip she's in. Outright loathing is not far away.

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go

You say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to...

(does anyone actually say to-mah-to?)

Tova

• coprophage

You know, I am pretty sure that Renee is just joking around in all but the second panel, and had no intention to deceive, kill, or maim anyone.

Just in case this is not obvious.

You say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to...

The key difference is the word compulsive. Can you really prove from one comic that someone is a compulsive liar? I am all ears.

A teller of tall tales is somewhat different. BenRG likes to spin stories from very few data points, but I'm not about to accuse him of compulsive lying.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

"Give in to your feelings Elliott and your journey to the Dark Side will be complete."

Darth Renee??

:-D

Wouldn't it be the 2nd and 3rd letters of her mother's maiden name in front of the second half of her father's family name (vowel shift to avoid excessive consonants/vowels)?

EDIT: Forgot to add examples.
Hanner's would be 'Hacott Xann' or 'Hacott Xanne'
Marten's would be 'Aned Car'

Apply apostrophes and/or hyphens where needed. May work better for some than for others (mine's N'dus Tan). Mix and match with the 5-6 method or the Angelfire method if so desired (just don't send any emails with your personal info).

Do we know the maiden name of any of the other character's mothers? Possibly ones that get better names with the Kylo Ren method? [Skywalker Solo, Ben -> Ren]
« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2016, 02:52 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Is anyone else getting the feeling that Elliot is secretly into role play?
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

BenRG likes to spin stories from very few data points

BenRG is to creativity what Akima is to debate.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Looking at today's comic, Brun in panel 2 is much taller than usual. Elliot not only has weird ideas about housework, he's also fantasizing Brun into an Amazon. He might be one of those guys who's attracted to dominant women.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU

Why does Elliot have weird ideas about housework? His Brun fantasy seems pretty standard to me. Except maybe the bow, but that's probably a callback to the Kiki tthing.
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2016, 22:16 by War Sparrow »

Tova

• coprophage

BenRG likes to spin stories from very few data points

BenRG is to creativity what Akima is to debate.

I often see things differently to him, but there's no doubt he's way more creative than I am.  :-D

Edit, today's comic. Hannels materialised from half-way across town upon hearing her favourite word. ;)
... that was a joke, promise I'm not a compulsive liar.  :-o

brasca

• Scrabble hacker

Why does Elliot have weird ideas about housework? His Brun fantasty seems pretty standard to me. Except maybe the bow, but that's probably a callback to the Kiki tthing.

Kiki's Delivery Service After Dark it would appear. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

This could revive the speculation about Hannelore making another giant stride toward social integration by taking on a roommate. It would have to be a fastidious one of course.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Let's start with the whole of the UK...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tova

• coprophage

Let's call the whole thing off.

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference

"Gah! Where the heck did you come from?!"

"Blame my parent's Eddy."

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

"Gah! Where the heck did you come from?!"

"Blame my parent's Eddy."

Eddies in the time-stream?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic

I like Renee less and less with every strip she's in. Outright loathing is not far away.

Her parallels with Faye never cease to amaze.

Faye and Renee would get along. Or kill each other immediately.
The second one, definitely. Neither of them strikes me as the type that would appreciate someone exactly like them. I'd cheer for Faye in that case as I still don't like Renee.

It's relatively rare I have an actual win-win moment.

That would be one of them.

Eddies in the time-stream?

And this is his sofa, is it??
*Rimshot*
« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2016, 00:04 by Mr. Skawronska »
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

BenRG

• coprophage

Elliott, I really only have on thing to say right now: Ask the woman on a date. Now. Before you either strain something or walk under a bus whilst fantasising about her in costume. One way or another, you've got to get this out of your system!

Meanwhile, we now know for certain that Hannelore hs been taking lessons from her cousin, Bruce Wayne, in the fine art of sneaking up on people unnoticed.

This could revive the speculation about Hannelore making another giant stride toward social integration by taking on a roommate. It would have to be a fastidious one of course.

I think that several people wondered if Brun would end up as Hannelore's roommate back during the fire arc (I know that I did). I'm not saying that this is the way things are going but it's odd that Jeph should have her turn up out-of-context like this otherwise.
~~~~

blt

Maybe Elliot doesn't clean his apartment all that often.

Or maybe that's how he dresses when he does.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Australia too!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

oddtail

Australia too!

A lot of people who learnt English as a second/foreign language in Europe, too. Due to the proximity to the UK.

I know we're not that relevant, not being native speakers and all, but hey. It's still millions of people using English =D

Tova

• coprophage

Elliott, I really only have on thing to say right now: Ask the woman on a date. Now. Before you either strain something or walk under a bus whilst fantasising about her in costume. One way or another, you've got to get this out of your system!

That seems familiar... ;)

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

Cue "Everybody Ought to Have a Maid" (from "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum").
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Case

• comeback tour!

I know we're not that relevant, not being native speakers and all, but hey. It's still millions of people using English =D

Millyuns and millyuns!

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go

Australia too!

How about po-tah-to?

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go

Cue "Everybody Ought to Have a Maid" (from "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum").

Puttering all around....the house!

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Why does Elliot have weird ideas about housework? His Brun fantasy seems pretty standard to me. Except maybe the bow, but that's probably a callback to the Kiki tthing.

See Jeph's comment at the bottom.

BenRG

• coprophage

The 'weird idea' is that someone doing something as strenuous as housework can look anything except tired and pissed off.

That said, I suspect that Elliot would be hard-pressed to imagine Brun not looking like an alluring perfect woman to him. The boy is completely smitten at this point! :-D
~~~~

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...

Looking at today's comic, Brun in panel 2 is much taller than usual.
Taller, or less, err,  substantial?

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood

How about po-tah-to?

Now you're on firmer ground - I don't think anybody says that.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Storel

I think that several people wondered if Brun would end up as Hannelore's roommate back during the fire arc (I know that I did). I'm not saying that this is the way things are going but it's odd that Jeph should have her turn up out-of-context like this otherwise.

Or it could be as simple as what Jeph says right under the comic: "Hannelore has a newsletter for fastidious people."

But maybe that's just his attempt to throw us off the scent.  8-)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Millyuns and millyuns!

One milli-Sagan.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

OK, now I'm beginning to wonder if Hannelore is a Talent - maybe a T4 or, *Gasp*, a T1 Prime!

(Fans of Anne McCaffrey will get the reference)  :D

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

BenRG

• coprophage

I doubt that she's a Prime. If she was, the last person to hug her unexpectedly would have ended up on Proxima B!
~~~~

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up