Fairy Girl
Bubbles
Faye Whitaker
Raven Pritchard
Penelope
Cosette
All of them

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3341 to 3345 (31st October to 4th November 2016)  (Read 39572 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Elliot, is there some other way you think the eldritch runes ought to glow?

Yeah, like, not. 8-)
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Shouldn't this have been yesterday's comic? Also.. just to be sure... Klatuu Verada. Ni... Nu... It was definitely an 'N' word...

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

The runes glow because of isotope decay, obviously (Means: "You should maybe consider screaming & running away"). If not, then it's Cherenkov-radiation resulting from a divergence in the local Calabi-Yau manifold, which indicates that an eldritch horror from a parallel dimension will emerge momentarily and devour your brain (Means: "Don't bother wiz ze screaming and running avay")

Nah, wrong beer brewing cult, er...distillery. This is obviously Luciferin causing the glow.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

They'd better keep that beer away from Hannelore, given her subconscious connection with the Great Old Ones.

I always imagined runes as more angular, but I might be wrong. I should consult my Glyph Notes.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

This isn't the first time that Jeph has communicated that he regards that some of the more elaborate, expensive. and 'sophisticated' drinks out there (alcoholic or no) are evidence of the existence of some strange dark cult.

FWIW, I don't think that Brun has ever drunk this stuff before; she could never afford it. She's just decided that, if she's having a free beer, it might as well be one of the most expensive beers on Earth. I think it would be a deep and funny irony if she announces that she wishes she'd just had the house draft because this stuff is nothing but tasteless foamy yellow water.

Or... it could be that she just wanted to hold the cuckoo clock stein once in her life and doesn't really care about the drink within. :-P
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

They'd better keep that beer away from Hannelore, given her subconscious connection with the Great Old Ones.

Not just Hanners.  Both Dora and Emily, and probably others have done it.  I'm starting to think that QC isn't set in Northampton, but Arkham.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Given my relative ignorance I had to google this up. To prevent misunderstandings, should you ever visit Gemany. Please read.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental

The runes glow because of isotope decay, obviously (Means: "You should maybe consider screaming & running away"). If not, then it's Cherenkov-radiation resulting from a divergence in the local Calabi-Yau manifold, which indicates that an eldritch horror from a parallel dimension will emerge momentarily and devour your brain (Means: "Don't bother wiz ze screaming and running avay")

Nah, wrong beer brewing cult, er...distillery. This is obviously Luciferin causing the glow.

Mit Speck fängt man Mäuse! (tr), errrrrh ... I mean: Sure! Sure it is ... (hehehe)
« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2016, 03:08 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

BenRG

• coprophage

Because I didn't get a full night's sleep, it's taken me this long to realise that strip 3342 should probably be considered mostly a Halloween Special and not considered necessarily part of the canon storyline. Jeph's presence behind the bar is proof positive of that.
~~~~

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

66.6 degrees?! And you say the English drink warm beer...

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

That *is* a bit warmer than cellar temperature.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

brasca

• Scrabble hacker

This isn't the first time that Jeph has communicated that he regards that some of the more elaborate, expensive. and 'sophisticated' drinks out there (alcoholic or no) are evidence of the existence of some strange dark cult.

FWIW, I don't think that Brun has ever drunk this stuff before; she could never afford it. She's just decided that, if she's having a free beer, it might as well be one of the most expensive beers on Earth. I think it would be a deep and funny irony if she announces that she wishes she'd just had the house draft because this stuff is nothing but tasteless foamy yellow water.

Or... it could be that she just wanted to hold the cuckoo clock stein once in her life and doesn't really care about the drink within. :-P

Or maybe Brun is one of the few people who can stomach it. 

I know her full name is Brunhilde, but a taste for exotic German beer is just more confirmation she's originally from Germany. 

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier

Come forth, Beer-elzebub.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker

Any relation to Beelzeboss? 

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

I'm not going to make fun of Brun's choice of beer, nor anyone who drinks a beer with a silly name, given that my current favorite is Clown Shoes "Hoppy Feet" Dark IPA.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Case

• comeback tour!

...which indicates that an eldritch horror from a parallel dimension will emerge momentarily and devour your brain (Means: "Don't bother wiz ze screaming and running avay")

Ah, so it's that kind of beer...

Is the cuckoo a warning, then?   :evil:

Not for Brun ...
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier

Nah, you're thinking of Beelzebooze.

Case

• comeback tour!

Beer-elzebub has a Pilsner set aside for me-eeeeeeeh!
For me-eeeeeeeh!
For me-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!

Y

• Curry sauce

At least it's isn't Celsius, then it would be glühbier instead of glühwein. I didn't thought that would exist, but it does.

Tova

• coprophage

Because I didn't get a full night's sleep, it's taken me this long to realise that strip 3342 should probably be considered mostly a Halloween Special and not considered necessarily part of the canon storyline. Jeph's presence behind the bar is proof positive of that.

So, here's my heretical question of the day. Okay, two questions, but only the first one is heretical.

Why does it matter whether this comic is 'canon' or not?

Does the comic depict Jeph behind the bar, or just a dude that happens to resemble him?

I don't follow Jeph elsewhere, in case the answer to the second question is, "Yes, he said so on the twittertubes!"
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

They prevent the Beer from being ruined

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

There's no indication that it's not canon.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

Shouldn't this have been yesterday's comic? Also.. just to be sure... Klatuu Verada. Ni... Nu... It was definitely an 'N' word...

James The Kugai 

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.

At least it's isn't Celsius, then it would be glühbier instead of glühwein. I didn't thought that would exist, but it does.

I was thinking in Celsius anyway, but wow, people really drink glühbier? That does not sound nice.

Storel

Whelp, the superlative is a bit weird:
"Wormfather Skull-birthday Dark Brew" is something that should definitely exist (Yes, I've said above that "dark brew" is "dunkeles Bräu", but that sounds stupid, so it's called "Dunkelbräu", or "Dunkelbrau").

Aha, I should have realized "totenkopf" was 'skull'. I translated the component parts individually and came up with "deadhead".  8-)

Edit: That must complicate matters when translating articles about Grateful Dead fans (Deadheads) into German. How would you translate "Deadhead" without making the German readers think you're talking about skulls? (Or people who call themselves skulls, at least.)
« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2016, 16:10 by Storel »

retrosteve

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Very slow tourist

Okay, thought I'd do a real Opinion Poll here. Now, I know that this is an awfully subjective and, arguably, divisive question. However, I'm not really interested in an objective framework about what defines 'cute'. So many people have so many different ideas that there is little chance of anyone agreeing on one anyway.

Just answer the question: You, personally: Which of the QC ladies best fits your own personal definition of 'cute'?

This is actually a harder question to answer for me than I initially thought when I had the idea for the poll. I'm torn between Hanners (who has this whole waif-like innocence and purity) and Emily (whose personality, although alarming at times, screams 'nice' on a very fundamental level). I guess I could toss a coin but, in the end, I chose Emily, mostly because literally everything she says makes me smile.

Emily, always Emily.

P.S. (Edit) I thought the boss looked like Jeph too. Glad it wasn't just me.
« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2016, 16:42 by retrosteve »
Thinks too much.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

I don't know whether this vindicates or mocks my ship.

It's okay.  You have no need to know that, so there's no harm done.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU

I was thinking in Celsius anyway, but wow, people really drink glühbier? That does not sound nice.

I think I might try it. Sounds pretty good to me. Of course, I said the same thing about buttered rum. I liked the butter flavoured sugar kind, so the real one mus be good too, yes?

No. No it is not.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

66.6 degrees Kelvin would have been a problem.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

Yeah, Brun, if you want to fight someone, it usually helps to have your eyes open.
And the last I checked, you aren't a blind ninja lawyer from New York.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

She's drunk (notice the bubbles over her head), so any style she may show in this so-called "fight" will be entirely accidental. Doesn't seem like she's much of a fighter in any case.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Drunk after only 1 beer, this won't end well. :-\

Depending on what she had for breakfast, this could go from meet-cute to meat-puke if she doesn't stop throwing punches.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

All together now everybody  1, 2, 3

;D
James The Kugai 

Tova

• coprophage

I didn't immediately recognise that clip, but hoped it was that song.

I like the idea of a local rag named "Local Rag."

It's interesting how different people behave when they have a few drinks under their belt. I tend to get inanely chatty.

BenRG

• coprophage

The lesson? Be wary of drinking the strong stuff, especially if you're not used to it. There can be consequences. Fortunately, as potentially dangerous as Brun is right now, I've got the feeling that Elliott has experienced a lot worse. That and I think that he has the strangest impression she's fighting someone who isn't really there.
~~~~

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

So, has anyone with far better German than me, actually made an attempt at a realistic(ish) translation of "Wurmvater totenkopfgeburtstag dunkelbrau" ?

Google comes up with "Worm father skull birth dark brown", which seems a bit too literal.

Even better, has someone managed to brew some? :-D
Actually, it is rocket science.

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!

Wurmvater      totenkopf    geburtstag      dunkelbrau

Worm father         skull       birthday          dark brew

or rather written in true German style: Wormfatherskullbirthdaydarkbrew (German tends to have long words without spaces). Ordering it in one word is the basic test to see if you are not too drunk for another one.

Case

• comeback tour!

Whelp, the superlative is a bit weird:
"Wormfather Skull-birthday Dark Brew" is something that should definitely exist (Yes, I've said above that "dark brew" is "dunkeles Bräu", but that sounds stupid, so it's called "Dunkelbräu", or "Dunkelbrau").

Aha, I should have realized "totenkopf" was 'skull'. I translated the component parts individually and came up with "deadhead".  8-)

Edit: That must complicate matters when translating articles about Grateful Dead fans (Deadheads) into German. How would you translate "Deadhead" without making the German readers think you're talking about skulls? (Or people who call themselves skulls, at least.)

German Deadheads call themselves Germanheads. German articles normally don't translate words whose literal translation would be ambiguous or confusing and use the original expression instead - you can check the German version of the Deadhead-wiki, e.g. The Jolly Roger would be the "Totenkopfflagge" (Yes, Germans are "schmerzfrei" (roughly: "suffering (collective) congenital analgesia") wrt. concatenating fricatives - either bring an umbrella, or keep your distance)

Yeah, the use of "Schädel" (Skull(bone)) and "Kopf" (Head) is a bit different in German: "Schädel" refers to the skull-bone of a vertebrate, both a living one and a dead one. That's why we say "Totenschädel" (Dead-skull) or "Totenkopf" (lit. 'A Dead's Head') - for clarification.

E.g. "Schädeln" (Skulling) would be slang for getting royally pissed, but not fatally so. "Einen Schädel haben" (lit. "Having a skull") means having a hangover - and the same does "Einen Kater haben" ("Having a Tomcat").

So, has anyone with far better German than me, actually made an attempt at a realistic(ish) translation of "Wurmvater totenkopfgeburtstag dunkelbrau" ?

Google comes up with "Worm father skull birth dark brown", which seems a bit too literal.

Even better, has someone managed to brew some? :-D

See my post on page 1 (yes, I'm an actual Kraut):
"Wormfather Skull-birthday Dark Brew"

And yes, oeoek (Bent jij Nederlander?) is correct, both about the translation and about our preference for concatenating words.

As to brewing some: MAAAAaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyybe?  :-D

EDIT: The "Totenschädel"-part would make every German instantly suspicious - any reference to skulls in the context of alcoholic beverages is normally perceived as a warning to expect an astonishing hangover the day after.
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2016, 05:26 by Case »

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

The lesson? Be wary of drinking the strong stuff, especially if you're not used to it. There can be consequences. Fortunately, as potentially dangerous as Brun is right now, I've got the feeling that Elliott has experienced a lot worse. That and I think that he has the strangest impression she's fighting someone who isn't really there.

Elliot is kind of used to having to deal with fighty drunk people after all..

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

During the last season of The West Wing the show basically had two threads. The election battle and the last year of the Bartlett administration. For me, every episode that focussed on teh election battle was an episode not dealing with the characters that I had spent 6 years investing in. The Brun stuff feels the same.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker

Nah, you're thinking of Beelzebooze.

You can challenge Beelzeboss to a rock off, but Beelzebooze is a master of drinking contests.

Elliot is kind of used to having to deal with fighty drunk people after all..

Yes, but I imagine he always wants to be more gentle with women who get drunk and violent so it's all the more complicated when he has a crush on one who's also friends with his coworker.  Definitely had to use kid gloves with her.  I don't know how he managed to get Brun back to the bakery.   

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Being a German beer, I'm also suspecting that this thing is Reinheitsgebot-compliant... meaning the evilness needs to be entirely done in barley, hops, and yeast.

Or could you stretch the definition of "water", and add vodka after brewing it?

Edit: Wait a second, a "barley vodka" without filtration to make it a neutral spirit would just be... whisk(e)y. And, it's made of water, barley, and yeast - three of the four legal ingredients. So, that's how to fortify it. Add whisk(e)y, or even just distill the beer (and have a hopped whisk(e)y). I'm thinking a carbonated hopped whisk(e)y, if you somehow could keep it dark, and called it a beer, would count as Wurmvater Totenkopfgeburtstag dunkelbrau.

Edit 2: I decided to make a thread. https://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,33544.0.html
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2016, 08:41 by bhtooefr »

Jakk Frost

• Balloon animal serial killer

Gotta say I love the Drunken Monkey stance in the 4th frame!

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

Jackie Chan would be proud :-D
James The Kugai 

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...

Anyone else anticipating more self revelation for Faye when she eventually meets fiighty-when-drunk Brun?

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic

Anyone else anticipating more self revelation for Faye when she eventually meets fiighty-when-drunk Brun?

One can only hope.   :evil:
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

TheEvilDog

Theory about what's going to happen.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

Theory about what's going to happen.
(click to show/hide)
Now be warned but you did ask
(click to show/hide)
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

TheEvilDog

(click to show/hide)

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

A Varmwasser for me, thanks.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up