THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini Painting!  (Read 150238 times)

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
Re: Mini Painting!
« Reply #450 on: 19 May 2015, 22:12 »

The large biplane looks like something straight out of a steampunk comic! I know steampunk is normally all about the airships, but Klaus Wulfenbach would love that.
My thoughts exactly.

We have airships too of course...

The poster is an original, by the way. Got it at a garage sale twenty years ago for $5. Last price at auction for one not in as good condition was USD $1700.

Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #451 on: 20 May 2015, 03:26 »

I'm assuming that the zeppelin and the biplanes to the same scale? Attacking a zeppelin in a fighter of the period must have felt like taking a run at the Death Star.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #452 on: 20 May 2015, 20:35 »

I'm assuming that the zeppelin and the biplanes to the same scale? Attacking a zeppelin in a fighter of the period must have felt like taking a run at the Death Star.

Yes they are, and by all accounts, yes it did.

Early on, when there were no anti-aircraft guns to speak of, they raided from low altitude too. Less than twice their length. It was terrifying to the civilian populace.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #453 on: 26 May 2015, 22:59 »

Latest - another Nieuport 11C, this one Belgian.

Start with this very rare Orthochrome picture from mid 1916. Reds and Browns appear dark, blues and greens, light with this film type.

Then this Lumiere Atochrome picture of the same colour scheme - "Nieuport Autumn Leaf" - on a French N11. I think the green should have more blue in though. Atochrome sometimes gets one of the RGB values over or under, and all colours look a little washed out, as if hand coloured.

And.... my interpretation of the original. Not flawless, but pretty close.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #454 on: 30 May 2015, 04:26 »

Turkish Rumpler C.I

Wanted to get this one done before the end of the month.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #455 on: 16 Jul 2015, 04:13 »

And now for something completely different....

15mm Herodotus Blemmyes.

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #456 on: 05 Sep 2015, 09:11 »

I knew Ultima didn't come up with the idea for Headless.

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #457 on: 05 Sep 2015, 09:14 »

Prepare yourself for the most diabolic custom mini YET!

The Dreaded....

Bucket Mimic!

What appears to be a harmless bucket is IN FACT a hungry smallish monster!

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #458 on: 21 Sep 2015, 01:37 »

De Bellis Antiquitatis 3.0 15mm Scythian Army. The Legendary version (Centaurs)

Figurines by Splintered Light Minis

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #459 on: 12 Nov 2015, 04:37 »

B-29A "Untouchable" 224506 of the 768th Bombardment Squadron, 462nd BG "The Hellbirds", Piaradoba, India, 1944. Motto "With Malice Towards Some"

Repaint of 1/200 model in 1952 RAF colours from Amercom in Poland

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #460 on: 29 Dec 2015, 11:52 »

So I am picking up warhammer 40k again.  First time ive touch the hobby in 10 years.

I'm going with eldar and want to make my farseer female.  Was thinking of using this guy but cutting the head off and replacing it with a female head...problem is I don't know what heads would look the part.

Was thinking of this one from the dark eldar/elf range

But someone did a conversion from one of the dark elf dragon kit that looks amazing too.  Although I dont think im going to give her a bust like they did.

Any thoughts or ideas on other ranges that might work?  Anyone have any bits or ideas of bits that may work?

Also any tips on painting black miniatures? Black on Black doesnt seem to make sense so anyone have a dark grey alternative?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #461 on: 29 Dec 2015, 16:53 »

been painting up some minis from Shapeways...

these are in progress.

Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #462 on: 29 Dec 2015, 20:00 »

A tip for smoothing Shapeways WSF - use 3 coats of diluted (3:1 glue/water) PVA (Elmers white) glue before painting. Liightly sand with an emery board 24 hrs after each coat.

Grognard

« Reply #463 on: 03 Jan 2016, 19:22 »

thanks.  I had heard rumors of something like that, just havent' had time to experiment.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #464 on: 04 Jan 2016, 15:41 »

thanks.  I had heard rumors of something like that, just havent' had time to experiment.

Grognard

« Reply #465 on: 04 Jan 2016, 20:05 »

wait. wait.

ALL those are from Shapeways ?

wowzers.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #466 on: 05 Jan 2016, 04:59 »

wait. wait.

wowzers.

Just a tiny part of my collection.... and I've got at least 50 yet to paint/decal.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #467 on: 05 Jan 2016, 05:16 »

Austrian ace Godwin Brumowski's Oeffag 153 (Albatros D.III variant) and a Sopwith Camel I made from card, cardboard and internal bracing with matchsticks and PVA glue.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #468 on: 05 Jan 2016, 05:31 »

wait. wait.

wowzers.

Just a tiny part of my collection.... and I've got at least 50 yet to paint/decal.

Some bigger than others... a Zeppelin Staaken R.IV and Jean Navarre's Nieuport 11. Contemporaries from Jan 1916.

hazlett

• Plantmonster
    • webdesign London
« Reply #469 on: 05 Jan 2016, 23:16 »

Looks exactly the same.

Grognard

« Reply #470 on: 08 Jan 2016, 20:47 »

trying to build an infantry regiment's HQ company.

infantry from MW:DA, scratch built HQ "equipment",

half-tracks from SW.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #471 on: 16 Jul 2016, 14:50 »

I added a base color for the gems, eyes, and lenses (the eyes and lenses I also did the second color but not the final brightest blue).  I also redid the shadow areas of the bones bits too.  I need to finish the gems and eyes/lenses then clean it all up.  After that its highlighting and basing.  :happy:

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #472 on: 17 Jul 2016, 03:13 »

Scythians - according to legend. 15mm minis by Splintered Light.

Compare to size of a credit card.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #473 on: 17 Jul 2016, 17:37 »

Alright.  I cleaned up the models, added highlights to the bone, and also added more color to the gun platform and its operator.  Just need to do the black armor highlighting.
 :happy:

I am really thinking the martian base would bring more color to the models.  What do you all think?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #474 on: 24 Jul 2016, 17:17 »

Finally finished the squad!

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #475 on: 26 Jul 2016, 00:56 »

Impressive work!

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #476 on: 02 Nov 2016, 21:26 »

Shapeways WSF - scintered nylon powder. Before and after.

For scale  - this model of a Mitsubishi A5M4 "Claude" is in 1/200.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #477 on: 15 Dec 2016, 19:31 »

5 weeks work. I'm trying to clear the backlog of over 100 models still in the bags from the printers.

These are all 1/144 scale, ranging from the diminutive 2F1 Sopwith Ship's Camels and Fokker E.V monoplane to the gigantic Siemens-Schuckert Werk R.IV.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #478 on: 17 Dec 2016, 13:56 »

For scale  - this model of a Mitsubishi A5M4 "Claude" is in 1/200.
I missed this on first posting somehow, but I recognise this aircraft from histories of the air-battles over China in 1938. The Chinese air-force was flying the Russian Polikarpov I-16, another pioneer monoplane fighter.

These are all 1/144 scale, ranging from the diminutive 2F1 Sopwith Ship's Camels and Fokker E.V monoplane to the gigantic Siemens-Schuckert Werk R.IV.
My first thought was "Are they all to the same scale?", which proves that: 1) I am a nerd, and 2) the size-range is amazing.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #479 on: 17 Dec 2016, 14:40 »

I'm intrigued by the aircraft with no body - just struts to hold the tailplane.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #480 on: 18 Dec 2016, 03:22 »

I missed this on first posting somehow, but I recognise this aircraft from histories of the air-battles over China in 1938. The Chinese air-force was flying the Russian Polikarpov I-16, another pioneer monoplane fighter.

In addition to the 1/144 WWI planes, I dabble in 1/200 WWII ones. As here:

You'll see some I-16s, including a Chinese one on the far right. The rest are a mix of Netherlands East Indies (Buffalo, P-35 Hawk), RAF (Whirlwind, P40 Tomahawk), Luftwaffe(Bf 110D), Finnish (Buffalo, P-35 Hawk), Soviet (I-16, I-152, P-39 Airacobra), Japanese(Ki-27 Nate, Ki-43 Oscar), USAAC(P-39Airacobra), Chinese (I-16, I-152, P-35 Hawk) and French(P-35 Hawk).

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #481 on: 08 Jan 2017, 20:28 »

Yes, it's about the size of a butterfly. Fokker D.VI of the Luftstreitkrafte, 1918. Covered in the standard printed 4 colour lozenge fabric. Required 32 decals, 13 of which are visible in the photo. Plus painting of course.

Grognard

« Reply #482 on: 08 Jan 2017, 22:00 »

awesome work there.

any chance of getting a F4U Corsair in VMA-214 colors?

Or do you paint for hire?

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #483 on: 09 Jan 2017, 18:57 »

awesome work there.

any chance of getting a F4U Corsair in VMA-214 colors?

Or do you paint for hire?

I don't paint for hire, but know some far better painters who do. Bespoke decals are my speciality, those I do for others overseas. I don't charge, just ask them to do helpful favours for others, the way I do for them.

I have some F4U-1s unpainted, in 1/200 scale, and can get those done up in VMA-214 colours. Note though that Boyington flew an F4U-1a with a bubble not greenhouse canopy. I'd do Rinabarger's.

Now if you want a model, there are many 1/144 ones available. Armaments in Miniature do very nice F4Us of all kinds in 1/200, and those are what I'd recommend if you want one yourself.

If you really, really want one, I'll order one ( just add it to my next order)   paint it, decal it according to your wishes, and send it to you. Or I could do up one of the shapeways ones. Do you want a picture, or the aircraft model?

Grognard

« Reply #484 on: 11 Jan 2017, 16:44 »

I have a pair by GHQ in 1/285th, brand new in their package.

I think your work is spectacular, and would love to have an aircraft model you've done.

I offer a trade: new minis, or finished models (try not to laugh) or ca$h.

Grognard

« Reply #485 on: 11 Jan 2017, 17:04 »

some of my stuff.  some is Shapeways, some is IWM.

phuck  photobucket. their site keeps crashing my PC.  Grrrrr.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #486 on: 11 Jan 2017, 22:49 »

I have a pair by GHQ in 1/285th, brand new in their package.

I think your work is spectacular, and would love to have an aircraft model you've done.

I offer a trade: new minis, or finished models (try not to laugh) or ca$h.

The cheapest way to get a pair of 1/285 GHQ F4F-4 corsairs to you is for me to buy them US$12 get them sent to Aust US$13 then back to you US $8 or in letter US$2.

But a far better result would be to commission a professional like saguaro painting service in the US. They charge about $5 a model. Total cost with postage about $15 vs $21 for postage alone. I'm good, and I can do oddities and bespoke decals they can't, but when it comes to painting popular 1/285 things, I'm out of their league.

Grognard

« Reply #487 on: 12 Jan 2017, 19:19 »

Austria ?  Like Vienna, Salzburg and Innsbruk?

I thought you were in Arizona, for some reason?

:) LoL :)  Imma doof.  Obviously, an exchange is not cost effective.
If it's okay with you, I'll continue to *SQUEEEE* over photos of your work.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #488 on: 12 Jan 2017, 23:54 »

Nope. Not that close to you. Australia, as in Sydney, Canberra, Woolloomooloo, Wagga Wagga.... Kangaroos rather than Mozart Kugeln.

I'm in Canberra.

Squeeing, while completely voluntary, is much appreciated.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #489 on: 13 Jan 2017, 19:32 »

For the information of non-Australians, that curious square  green compound in the foreground is Parliament House, the seat of our national government, and the water beyond is Lake Burley Griffin.

You'll see some I-16s, including a Chinese one on the far right. The rest are a mix of Netherlands East Indies (Buffalo, P-35 Hawk), RAF (Whirlwind, P40 Tomahawk), Luftwaffe(Bf 110D), Finnish (Buffalo, P-35 Hawk), Soviet (I-16, I-152, P-39 Airacobra), Japanese(Ki-27 Nate, Ki-43 Oscar), USAAC(P-39Airacobra), Chinese (I-16, I-152, P-35 Hawk) and French(P-35 Hawk).
I confess that the Curtiss P-40 is the WW2 aircraft closest to my heart, since it was flown against Imperial Japan by both Australian and Chinese pilots, as well as, of course, our American allies.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #490 on: 14 Jan 2017, 16:07 »

I confess that the Curtiss P-40 is the WW2 aircraft closest to my heart, since it was flown against Imperial Japan by both Australian and Chinese pilots, as well as, of course, our American allies.

Grognard

« Reply #491 on: 14 Jan 2017, 21:41 »

Nope. Not that close to you. Australia, as in Sydney, Canberra, Woolloomooloo, Wagga Wagga.... Kangaroos rather than Mozart Kugeln.

I'm in Canberra. *awesome picture*

Squeeing, while completely voluntary, is much appreciated.

oh. Australia. Land down under & summertime Christmas.  The other English cousins.

Imma double doof.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up