THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

US Voteapocalypse Special Poll! - Who Would You Vote to Congress?

Hannelore (Rich; Uncorruptable; Fastidious; Possibly a Stalker)
Marten (Mr Good Natured Mild-Temper)
Faye (Tough on People; Tough on the Causes of People)
Pintsize (Because Congress Needs More Cheerfully Unapologetic Creeps)
Dora (Moderately Successful Businesswoman; Will Enforce 'Red Lines')
Bubbles (Valorous Service; Now Helps People)
Corpse Witch (A Career Criminal Probably Knows What it Takes to Run a Country)
Bleminda (No History = No Skeletons in the Cupboard)
Claire (Already Vetted by The Library of Congress)
Beatrice Chatham (Might as Well Make it Official)
Renee (Disliked but Generous to Those In Need)
Brun (Never Late for a Press Conference)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT - Strips 3346-3350 (7th to 11th November 2016)  (Read 32342 times)

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
Re: WCDT - Strips 3346-3350 (7th to 11th November 2016)
« Reply #100 on: 11 Nov 2016, 01:00 »

May, what do your release terms say about taking up prostitution?
Technically I suppose since she hasn't got the right bits downstairs (she mentioned, both in hologram and RL form that she's built like a Barbie girl), this doesn't count as a sex act and therefore it's not prostitution. It's also possible that the release terms overlooked it for the same reason. Though it's more likely that she's prevented from 'engaging in illegal activities' or similar legal wording which would only make it a problem if prostitution is illegal in Northampton. Anyone who knows?
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #101 on: 11 Nov 2016, 02:44 »

I suppose it boils down to 'intent'. Pintsize gave money for something analogous for sexual services so that's what it was, irrespective of whether May was practically able to provide them. One issue the probationbot would look at is whether May has been making a habit of this. However, if she's kept her nose metaphorically clean since release, it would increase the likelihood of the probation service looking the other way so long as she was not arrested and they are confident it is a one-off thing (and I'm pretty sure it will be).

FWIW, this strip is in character for both principles. We know that Pintsize has a mad fascination for sexual activities. May, also, seems to be curious about human sexuality (at least on a biological level). What we thus have is basically a couple of synthetic teens experimenting...

Or possibly a Dirty Old Bot corrupting someone who is emotionally and intellectually a minor. :-\
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #102 on: 11 Nov 2016, 03:11 »

We don't really know how old May is, chronologically or mentally/emotionaly, or even how those concepts hold for AI compared to humans.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

retrosteve

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Very slow tourist
« Reply #103 on: 11 Nov 2016, 03:15 »

The longer we go without releases like Yelling Bird and SweetTits, the more questionable the content may become.

Pintsize May Rule.
Thinks too much.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #104 on: 11 Nov 2016, 03:28 »

We don't really know how old May is, chronologically or mentally/emotionaly, or even how those concepts hold for AI compared to humans.

We do know from one of the job application forms that May filled in that there is a recognised mental maturity scale in AIs.
~~~~

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #105 on: 11 Nov 2016, 04:21 »

This comic with May sitting on Pintsize's face rated a 3.3 on my Weird-Shit-O-Meter.

Considering its calibration, that's pretty damn high.
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #106 on: 11 Nov 2016, 04:22 »

We know she has held a job with access to large amounts of money, so presumably a legal adult.

It doesn't matter what the law is, it matters what her probation officer thinks it is.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #107 on: 11 Nov 2016, 04:35 »

This comic with May sitting on Pintsize's face rated a 3.3 on my Weird-Shit-O-Meter.

Considering its calibration, that's pretty damn high.

My calibration must be insane, because it doesn't even register as a blip on mine...  :-D

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #108 on: 11 Nov 2016, 04:36 »

Though it's more likely that she's prevented from 'engaging in illegal activities' or similar legal wording which would only make it a problem if prostitution is illegal in Northampton. Anyone who knows?

Prostitution is illegal throughout Massachusetts. We were founded by Puritans, after all.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

oddtail

« Reply #109 on: 11 Nov 2016, 04:39 »

Though it's more likely that she's prevented from 'engaging in illegal activities' or similar legal wording which would only make it a problem if prostitution is illegal in Northampton. Anyone who knows?

Prostitution is illegal throughout Massachusetts. We were founded by Puritans, after all.

Isn't prostitution basically illegal everywhere in the US but, I think, Nevada?

thedevilissix

• Furry furrier
« Reply #110 on: 11 Nov 2016, 05:39 »

Well that was ... different.

Indeed. Shit me!! Give us an NSFW warning next time, would you? :) I accessed QC on my lunch break and am in a small office, with a boss likely to walk past that would be immediately canny to the connotations of the images I saw before me  :psyduck:

(Or I can just access QC in my phone from now on ;))
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2016, 07:14 by thedevilissix »

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #111 on: 11 Nov 2016, 06:21 »

Technically I suppose since she hasn't got the right bits downstairs

Are there AI's that do? That's weirder than the comic.

I should think that probation officers have better things to do than try policing this sort of thing. It's like criminalizing sex simulations in your Barbie/Ken collection.

Jakk Frost

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #112 on: 11 Nov 2016, 06:34 »

I have a thing for women of color - and by that I mean red, blue, green, grey (Oh Chiana!), alien skin colors essentially - so this is basically fanservice as far as I'm concerned.  ;)

By the way, does anyone know if there's a name for that particular fetish?  I don't think it quite falls under "furry".

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #113 on: 11 Nov 2016, 06:45 »

Blurry? Colourry? Hue-rry?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #114 on: 11 Nov 2016, 07:05 »

I suppose Jeph does have to have some content that lives up to the webcomics name on occasion.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #115 on: 11 Nov 2016, 07:10 »

Isn't prostitution basically illegal everywhere in the US but, I think, Nevada?
And only a few counties in Nevada.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #116 on: 11 Nov 2016, 07:20 »

I should think that probation officers have better things to do than try policing this sort of thing.
My personal experience is about zero, but allegedly prostitution may be associated with exploitation of the vulnerable and/or drug problems. Arguably a good probation officer *should* be concerned if their client becomes involved with it, legal or not. After all rehabilitation is part of a probation officer's responsibilities. 

I 'm not sure whether the fine detail of which appendages and/or orifices are involved is that important. If attempted sexual gratification is being provided in exchange for money  its a different game to say two teenagers experimenting.

theMarc

• Oh God, it's all over my body.
« Reply #117 on: 11 Nov 2016, 08:52 »

I am shocked and disappointed that nobody has linked to this video yet:
https://youtu.be/KkJnd9rSAQ8
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
« Reply #118 on: 11 Nov 2016, 09:25 »

Technically I suppose since she hasn't got the right bits downstairs

Are there AI's that do? That's weirder than the comic.
in 3098 May definitely hints that those options exists for AnthroPC chassis. Right before Momo sends an electric shock through her. They also discuss a similar subject in 3302-05

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #119 on: 11 Nov 2016, 12:04 »

In my experience, probation officers jump on any excuse they can to fuck up your shit. If they can conceivably bust you for it, they will.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #120 on: 11 Nov 2016, 15:06 »

Risky click of the day?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #121 on: 11 Nov 2016, 15:48 »

This was the first thought I had when seeing this strip.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

Gyrre

« Reply #122 on: 11 Nov 2016, 17:32 »

I have a thing for women of color - and by that I mean red, blue, green, grey (Oh Chiana!), alien skin colors essentially - so this is basically fanservice as far as I'm concerned.  ;)

By the way, does anyone know if there's a name for that particular fetish?  I don't think it quite falls under "furry".
I think it falls under general xenophilia, which would be a catch-all.
'Technosexual' seems to be the term for a sexua attraction to robots.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #123 on: 11 Nov 2016, 18:07 »

I think it falls under general xenophilia, which would be a catch-all.
'Technosexual' seems to be the term for a sexua attraction to robots.
I thought that would have been the cacth-all and Robo-sexual the specific, like moto-sexual and ford-sexual ...  :psyduck:
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Gyrre

« Reply #124 on: 11 Nov 2016, 18:43 »

"If you wish to woo a woman of Quality, you must prove yourself a gentleman of Quality."
- Moustachio Skin Horse

-OR-

"Can you list traits you don’t find erotic so I can embody them?"
- Dr. Virgina Lee, Skin Horse
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2016, 22:06 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #126 on: 11 Nov 2016, 22:35 »

I should think that probation officers have better things to do than try policing this sort of thing.
My personal experience is about zero, but allegedly prostitution may be associated with exploitation of the vulnerable and/or drug problems. Arguably a good probation officer *should* be concerned if their client becomes involved with it, legal or not. After all rehabilitation is part of a probation officer's responsibilities. 

I 'm not sure whether the fine detail of which appendages and/or orifices are involved is that important. If attempted sexual gratification is being provided in exchange for money  its a different game to say two teenagers experimenting.

This begs the question of whether or not this is actually prostitution. Leaving aside whether robots can have sexual contact (does my laptop get aroused when I put a CD in it? Is it sexual when I insert the hose into my car at the gas station?), the whole joke of the comic is that neither May nor Pintsize are being gratified by this silly combination.

But I'll go further. Suppose we say this is something beyond simulated sexuality. What compelling state interest is there in prohibiting it? Who is being harmed? Why stop consenting adults from engaging in consensual sex acts which harm no one, even if there is money involved?

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
« Reply #127 on: 12 Nov 2016, 00:59 »

Is it sexual when I insert the hose into my car at the gas station?
This clip (SFW, gas commercial) hints that the answer may be yes.

oddtail

« Reply #128 on: 12 Nov 2016, 02:19 »

But I'll go further. Suppose we say this is something beyond simulated sexuality. What compelling state interest is there in prohibiting it? Who is being harmed? Why stop consenting adults from engaging in consensual sex acts which harm no one, even if there is money involved?

The horrible things that happen because of prostitution notwithstanding, ALL your questions fully apply to real-life prostitution and the debate of whether it should be legal or not...

It can be argued that illegal prostitution is the worst possible thing for the safety, respectability, financial and economic status, and general well-being of prostitutes. I have yet to see a compelling argument against legal prostitution, especially as it is my strong conviction that making prostitution illegal is *never* a means to eliminate prostitution, once it is illegal it is ignored unless it is specifically required to act against a prostitute. Prostitution is still alive and well, it's not even fought against all that hard. But there's a way to attack someone and dehumanise them, including by the state/law enforcement/system, because they engage in sex work.

It's a tool of oppression and control, not a tool of protection, based on any and all evidence I've seen. It's a "have your cookie and eat it too" approach that allows for the marginalization, vilification, divide-and-conquering of sex workers while still making the profession thrive, catering to the needs of prostitutes' clients (who are rarely punished as harshly OR despised as much as the prostitutes themselves, despite the fact that this attitude makes no sense), *and* forcing many people into sex work, either againts their will or semi-against their will. And while they are harmed this way, they are still seen as the source of the problem by the average Joe, because they engage in a "bad" thing (the fact that they may not actually willingly choose to being usually completely glossed over).

Granted, I brought real life into a comic discussion, but I think it's a pretty interesting point of discussion to come from once you abstract this into robots. The question "who is being harmed?" here is quite obvious because the element of physical stimulation is gone or blurred, as are most of the social and psychological entanglements that are there for humans.

But once you insert those into the mix again, carefully enough, the questions you ask are still relevant. Not as clear-cut, because sex-related stuff does result in harm to people, but I don't think the core of the problem becomes changed in any meaningful way.

And now I done and opened a can of worms... I do wish robot sexuality was more explored in the comic, as silly as this comic is. I think one of the best things about fiction is what it can say about real life. This goes especially for sci-fi.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #129 on: 12 Nov 2016, 05:26 »

Why stop consenting adults from engaging in consensual sex acts which harm no one,
This all depends on your definitions of adult, consent and harm, all of which have been radically different in different societies and cultures. As I don't look around me and see that I'm in a perfect society, and as I'm just about old enough to have witnessed significant changes in how those three words are used, I think it unwise to be too dogmatic about what is right and wrong. I think it reasonably safe, however, to predict that in 40 years time some aspects of the current anglo american liberal consensus (to whatever extent it exists) will be regarded as very peculiar indeed, but I have no idea which ones. I certainly would have failed to predict current interpretations when I was 18. In the unlikely event I'm still around (please no) I shan't much care!
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2016, 05:32 by JimC »

retrosteve

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Very slow tourist
« Reply #130 on: 12 Nov 2016, 07:30 »

The longer we go without Jeph blowing off steam with Yelling Bird and SweetTits, the more questionable the content may become.

Pintsize May Rule.
Thinks too much.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #131 on: 12 Nov 2016, 07:39 »

I know Yelling Bird is probably gone for good, but is Sweet Tits in the past as well?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

katsmeat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #132 on: 12 Nov 2016, 07:43 »

Star Trek fan? http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Orion_slave_girl

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #133 on: 12 Nov 2016, 09:19 »

We do know from one of the job application forms that May filled in that there is a recognised mental maturity scale in AIs.

Yeah, but I don't think it can express "fourteen 4-ever" and "Older than Cleopatra" simultaneously. 
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #134 on: 12 Nov 2016, 09:54 »

Yes.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #135 on: 12 Nov 2016, 17:09 »

Not the fetish they were talking about...

Storel

« Reply #136 on: 12 Nov 2016, 17:31 »

Risky click of the day?

No, it's just Monty Python. Click it!

Storel

« Reply #137 on: 12 Nov 2016, 17:36 »

FWIW, this strip is in character for both principles. We know that Pintsize has a mad fascination for sexual activities. May, also, seems to be curious about human sexuality (at least on a biological level). What we thus have is basically a couple of synthetic teens experimenting...

Or possibly a Dirty Old Bot corrupting someone who is emotionally and intellectually a minor. :-\

Pintsize being the Dirty Old Bot, yes?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #138 on: 12 Nov 2016, 18:48 »

Risky click of the day?

No, it's just Monty Python. Click it!

It's alright, I clicked it shortly after posting that. I wasn't seriously worried, just wanted to make the joke.

I still have my copy of Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl on DVD.  8-)

Why stop consenting adults from engaging in consensual sex acts which harm no one,
This all depends on your definitions of adult, consent and harm, all of which have been radically different in different societies and cultures.

Blah blah blah, pretty sure no harm, fictional or otherwise, was done to either character in this particular comic. Except maybe to the sensibilities of a few readers.  :police:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Jakk Frost

« Reply #139 on: 12 Nov 2016, 22:46 »

Star Trek fan? http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Orion_slave_girl

I do believe that was likely the origin of that little fetish, reinforced many years later by certain comic book characters like She-Hulk and Mystique, sci-fi characters like (as mentioned) Farscape's Chiana, and more recently races in Star Wars: The Old Republic, like Chiss and Sith Trueblood skin colors.

Yes.

*waves hand* This is not the fetish you're looking for.
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2016, 23:14 by Jakk Frost »

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #140 on: 13 Nov 2016, 00:07 »

Pintsize being the Dirty Old Bot, yes?

Correct. It is arguable that this is the role in life for which he was compiled.
~~~~

Squiddlywinx

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #141 on: 13 Nov 2016, 08:12 »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #142 on: 13 Nov 2016, 08:24 »

All past comics are canon, but if you're going to bring it up the way I think you are...

Global Moderator Comment don't

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #143 on: 13 Nov 2016, 09:57 »

Poll Result Post

1. Hannelore (Rich; Uncorruptable; Fastidious; Possibly a Stalker) - 24 (32.9%)
2. Bubbles (Valorous Service; Now Helps People) - 16 (21.9%)
3. Dora (Moderately Successful Businesswoman; Will Enforce 'Red Lines') - 9 (12.3%)
4. Faye (Tough on People; Tough on the Causes of People) - 6 (8.2%)
=5. Claire (Already Vetted by The Library of Congress) - 4 (5.5%)
=5. Beatrice Chatham (Might as Well Make it Official) - 4 (5.5%)
7. Brun (Never Late for a Press Conference) - 3 (4.1%)
=8. Marten (Mr Good Natured Mild-Temper) - 2 (2.7%)
=8. Corpse Witch (A Career Criminal Probably Knows What it Takes to Run a Country) - 2 (2.7%)
=8. Bleminda (No History = No Skeletons in the Cupboard) - 2 (2.7%)
11. Pintsize (Because Congress Needs More Cheerfully Unapologetic Creeps) - 1 (1.4%)
X. Renee (Disliked but Generous to Those In Need) - 0 (0%)

Well, I would say we don't need to worry about recounts and 'hanging chads' this time around; Hannelore won this one by a wide margin. I don't know if she'd clean up government, but I'm sure that she'd make sure that hall of the the House of Representatives was spotlessly clean! I won't even go to what she'd do to her unfortunate fellow Representatives!

Just a note: I don't really have any ideas for this week, so if someone else wants to do the coming week's WCDT, please be my guest.
~~~~

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #144 on: 13 Nov 2016, 10:24 »

So, Hannelore/Bubbles 2020?

Blood-Tree

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Must have tree blood!!!
« Reply #145 on: 13 Nov 2016, 15:25 »

Presumably Bubbles would be the Pence to Hannelore's Trump?

Squiddlywinx

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #146 on: 13 Nov 2016, 20:19 »

Presumably Bubbles would be the Pence to Hannelore's Trump?

What?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #147 on: 14 Nov 2016, 05:17 »

Yeah, there's no way that makes sense.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #148 on: 14 Nov 2016, 11:11 »

Indeed
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #149 on: 14 Nov 2016, 15:04 »

Still, Hannelore would have a hell of a campaign slogan. "My name is Hannelore Ellicott-Chatham. I end messes."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up