THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 22:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Carrie Fisher  (Read 3730 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
RIP Carrie Fisher
« on: 27 Dec 2016, 10:03 »

2016 takes another celeb before the close of the year.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: RIP Carrie Fisher
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2016, 10:21 »

!@#$%^&*()*$#@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2016, 14:17 »

FUCK YOU 2016!!!!!

:(

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2016, 15:10 »

Godspeed, Princess ...

:cry:
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

TheEvilDog

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2016, 17:38 »

Rest in power, General.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2016, 19:28 »

The force was with her, and now she is with the force.

. . . goddammit.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #6 on: 28 Dec 2016, 02:47 »

A lot of people forget Carrie Fisher's role in the writing of Star Wars. She did a lot of semi-uncredited editing on the scripts for The Empire Strikes Back and The Attack of the Clones (indeed the original script for AotC was considered 'unfilmable' by Kathleen Kennedy, pre-Fisher). Quite a lot of those films' quality (arguably they are both the best of their respective trilogies) was due to her perspective, writing skill and understanding of the characters (as well as her ability to pare thirty words from George Lucas down to just two or three).

With regards to her personal life, one thing we can say for certain about Carrie Fisher is this: Few were the days when she had been truly happy and that she at least had the moral courage to acknowledge her own responsibility in this. Nonetheless, I genuinely believe that she was more sinned against than sinning.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2016, 03:26 »

"Drowned in moonlight, strangled by her own bra."
Just another Joe like 46

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2016, 05:54 »

A lot of people forget Carrie Fisher's role in the writing of Star Wars. She did a lot of semi-uncredited editing on the scripts for The Empire Strikes Back and The Attack of the Clones (indeed the original script for AotC was considered 'unfilmable' by Kathleen Kennedy, pre-Fisher). Quite a lot of those films' quality (arguably they are both the best of their respective trilogies) was due to her perspective, writing skill and understanding of the characters (as well as her ability to pare thirty words from George Lucas down to just two or three).

Huh? I knew she was a gifted screenwriter and script-doctor, but not that she lent her skills to the good cause ...

Thanks!

With regards to her personal life, one thing we can say for certain about Carrie Fisher is this: Few were the days when she had been truly happy and that she at least had the moral courage to acknowledge her own responsibility in this. Nonetheless, I genuinely believe that she was more sinned against than sinning.

Yeah ... I'm not quite so happy about the framing of effects of mental health troubles in terms of 'sins'. A lot of people with persistent mental health troubles - including yours truly - have a "self-medication episode" in their biographies. In my twenties, I tried to cure my ADHD with THC (Cannabis' acts calming on most people - not so on folk with 'paradox stimulant response') and my budding depressive episodes with alcohol.

It's far less hedonistic self-indulgence via recreational drugs and far more 'desperate to feel normal for once' - and judging from accounts, bipolar disorder is one of the more difficult ones to balance in that respect. I'm not so happy with the framing along the 'sin/repentance'-axis because mental health troubles make you prone to seeing yourself as a pathetic piece of shit anyhow, and this may lead people so afflicted to seek religious solutions exclusively, instead of also seeking medical guidance. The Christian faith makes a good point about suffering being a part of life, and the nobility of sacrifice for others - but nowhere does it praise needless suffering.

If suffering was a reliable indicator of a sinful life, I'd like to know what poor Jesus did to deserve dying nailed to a cross? And what other religion has a deity (prophet for non-trinitarians) that conjures up recreational drugs for a wedding?  :laugh:

In the sense that she was unapologetic about herself, less prone to bullshitting herself than most, and a fierce advocate for people struggling with their mental health, I'd agree.
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2016, 06:08 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2016, 07:01 »

Well, I wasn't the one calling her a sinner but there are those who feel that her life-course led to an early grave. The point I was making is that it is those around her and the whole Hollyweird subculture that holds primary responsibility for the life she led and the affects it had on her health.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #11 on: 28 Dec 2016, 19:45 »

Y'know, Debbie, if you didn't want to go to the funeral, your could have just said so.

She passed away this evening from complications from the stroke.

Sigh. Three more days...
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: [1]   Go Up