THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any tips for Visiting Paris?  (Read 5003 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Any tips for Visiting Paris?
« on: 29 Dec 2016, 15:14 »

Hello Everyone,
(Hope this is in the right place)
I'll be making a trip out to Paris for a couple of days in January and wanted to know if anyone has any tips on visiting Paris? We'll be landing on a Friday morning and then leaving Monday around noon.  The hotel we're staying at if a 5 minute walk from the Eiffel Tower.

Places to hit up:
Louvre (bought tickets so no standing in line)
Army Museum
Big N's Tomb
Notre Dame
Arche de Triomphe
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: Any tips for Visiting Paris?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2016, 16:01 »

I had one of my best meals ever at an unassuming-looking bistro, Le Coude Fou (it was twenty years ago, though).

If you want more art in a fabulous setting (an old railway station, no less):  Musée d'Orsay.

There are magnificent churches other than Notre Dame, such as Saint-Sulpice - but you may not want to give more time to them.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2016, 03:16 »

If you speak any French at all, try to use that when you speak to service staff rather than defaulting to English. If you even try to speak French and are incomprehensible, they will be friendlier to you for putting the effort in rather than just assuming English knowledge.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2017, 16:30 »

It's already midway through January, and I just found this. Is it too late?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2017, 08:03 »

Nope, leaving this thursday!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2017, 17:57 »

I second the Musée d'Orsay recommendation.

Bear in mind that the Louvre is huge. You won't realistically see everything in one day, so it's advantageous to have an idea ahead of time which bits you are most keen to see.

Buy lunch and eat it in a park. It's a very Parisian thing to do, and their parks are lovely. Try out a kouign amann, those things are incredible.

If you anticipate a bit of traveling around/exploring, consider getting a Ticket Mobilis. It's a day pass, gives you unlimited metro travel. The metro service is good, and frequent.

Do not believe the nonsense people tell you about Parisians being rude. They are generous and friendly, especially if you make a bit of an effort with very basic French (greetings, please, thank you, stuff like that). The first time I was there, I was starting at a map feeling lost, and I very quickly had about four people trying to help me.

Bistros are pretty samey, so after you've been to one, you may well end up searching for something different.

If something else comes to mind, I'll drop another reply.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2017, 03:18 »

Thank you everybody!
Quick question, How does tipping work? In the US its 15% but I know some European countries either have different rules or its an insult to tip and I'd rather avoid a faux pas.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2017, 05:24 »

In Europe I don't generally tip at all unless they've gone above and beyond. Wait staff pay brackets are a lot better in Europe than the US, their wages aren't partially dependant on tips like over there.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2017, 07:40 »

Service is usually included too.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2017, 09:03 »

Just have reference for the UK. Most restaurants I go to usually have a jar or glass somewhere, either the reception area if they have one or on the bar. I'd usually chuck some change in there, no more than a couple pound and the staff supposedly split it. My mum who has worked in restaurants for years say they would save the tips till there was enough for a staff night out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up