THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 08:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So...are the hidden memories a(n)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind scenario?
We Can Remember it for You Wholesale scenario?
(insert meme related way of saying "other" here)

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3371-3375 (12th-16th December 2016)  (Read 26238 times)

JacobArduino

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
Re: WCDT Strips 3371-3375 (12th-16th December 2016)
« Reply #100 on: 16 Dec 2016, 08:40 »

Recent comics with Hannelore in the new art style make her seem a lot taller than before and I'm not sure why.  I can't find a good example now that I'm thinking of it though.
She might have had a late growth spurt. She's only ~23 years old after all. (She turned 22 at her birthday in 1069, but we've had some timeskips after that.) I know I had one after I moved away from my parents to university, which means I was ~21 at the time.
I started reading the comic about a decade ago when I was younger than everyone and I hadn't given much thought to the fact that I'm now older (at 29) than everyone except possibly Sven. I guess it's like how Bart in season one is now older than present day Homer.

From Sven's introduction, we know he's a year older than Dora, and from Faye humming Mrs. Robinson, we know Dora was 26 at the beginning. That makes Sven just a little younger than you still.

Amir is 35 though.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #101 on: 16 Dec 2016, 10:25 »

Right, but we don't know how long the time skips are. He could be 29 by now. Good first post though!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier
« Reply #102 on: 16 Dec 2016, 11:16 »

"I know you're not supposed to smash them with a hammer."

And that is why Faye will never understand PC maintenance.

Endellion

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I pun, therefore I am
« Reply #103 on: 16 Dec 2016, 12:08 »

"Marten's going over to Steve's place for some cereal."

Yeah right, more like:

"Marten's going over to Claire's place for sexy times."
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #104 on: 16 Dec 2016, 12:44 »

On the contrary, knowing and ADMITTING one's own ignorance is the correct attitude for beginners who will learn and master a skill.  It is the ignorant people who do not comprehend their own ignorance, or who refuse to admit it in or ask questions, who will never understand. 

And on the unrelated topic of heights, my own mental canon has Bubbles being 7'ft 9in (= ~236 cm) tall.  But yeah, it's challenging.  The character model is a hard one to draw consistently given the constraints of panel structure, architecture, etc.  That height would put the top of her head within 4 inches of a lot of "standard" ceilings.  Were she eight feet tall, she'd be unable to stand fully upright in about half of all indoor spaces.  So while 7'9" is large enough to present a few problems, a full eight feet of height would actively hinder her.

Incidentally, I own one of those oversize chairs that Hannelore found for the coffee shop.  They're awesome, but you have to undo eight bolts and take the arms off in order to get one through a doorway.  Most oversize chairs are made over-wide but have very low backs  so you can turn them sideways to get them through a door.  Most of the rest are made over-tall but are either extra-narrow or lack arms entirely, so they can be taken through a doorway upright.  But when a chair is oversize both ways, it has to be constructed so it can be taken apart.

And yes, I will affirm that bending knees, cocking your head, and watching the tops of doors does become second nature.  My country, God bless 'em, has ADA laws so my brother can get a wheelchair through pretty much any door in a public building, or ANY building built to code or remodeled in the last ~20 years, but those laws don't say foo about the height of doorways, because anyone for whom it's an issue is presumed able to duck.  Most are at least 6ft 8in, but some are not. 
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2016, 13:10 by Morituri »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #105 on: 16 Dec 2016, 13:06 »

I feel a load of exposition coming up next week

Or a week of Steve eating Cereal
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #106 on: 16 Dec 2016, 16:19 »

Welcome JacobArduino!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #107 on: 16 Dec 2016, 16:29 »

I don't get why everyone seems to think we will get a wall of exposition next week and not just a cut from the end of it and be forever more referenced akin  to the noodle incident.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Dicrostonyx

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #108 on: 16 Dec 2016, 16:44 »

To be fair, this probably is a good rule for AI brains. It's also a very good rule for human brains. In fact, let's just assume that we won't be hitting any brains with hammers, okay Faye?

re: the upcoming expository infodump,
I'm reminded of one of John Ringo's books in the Troy Rising series in which an AI tried to explain to a human how AI memories worked. I can't recall which book it was, but I think it was the third in the series, "The Hot Gate" (not a double entendre).

From what I can recall (it's been a while since I read it), the protagonist was wondering why a specific character had committed an act of treason which seemed out of character. The AI, who basically monitors everything on Earth and its orbit, explained that the person in question had had a reason, that it was a good reason (for the character), but that the AI couldn't tell the protagonist what the reason was. This was not just due to privacy reasons:

"I heard the conversation. In the conversation reasons were discussed. Knowing <NAME> the reason makes sense. I know that I know the reason, and I know that the reason makes sense. But I do not know what the reason is. That knowledge is locked away.

"Humans have things which they know, thing which they do not but can know, and things which they cannot know. AIs also have things that we know that we know, but do not know. That part of my brain which knows <NAME>'s reasons is separate from that part of my brain which can talk to you."

The above is not an exact quote, it's just my best recollection of a multi-page description. The idea was that the AI was effectively linked in to every CCTV on earth, every computer, every ship, every station, etc. and was the controller for all of these things, but in order to do its job it needed to be neutral. If people couldn't trust the AI not to repeat conversations even when those conversations went against laws or policies then people would act in ways that would subvert the AIs job.

And yeah, I know this post would make more sense if I had the exact quote, but I think that the general concept applies. For functional AI to work and them to be able to interact with humans there would have to be some constraints not just on what AIs can say or do but also on what memories the conscious brain is allowed to access.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #109 on: 16 Dec 2016, 18:41 »

I am always happy to hear more about how DoA AIs work!
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #110 on: 16 Dec 2016, 20:56 »

I feel a load of exposition coming up next week

Or a week of Steve eating Cereal
I don't really think Jeff would do that to us, but it would be epic. Four days of Marten and Steve eating cereal, and on Friday, he goes back home to find Faye and Bubbles have had the talk. And they have a plan. What that plan is, we'll just have to watch.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #111 on: 16 Dec 2016, 21:41 »

Maybe some future plot development relies on the fact that Marten  didn't hear this conversation.

Also (and the way it sruck me first) it's trying to wring a little more comedy from Marten's stuggle mentally to take on board what's going on.

I hadn't even thought of it that way, but being able to honestly claim ignorance could save him some legal liability and makes him less culpable for any potential crimes mentioned during the discussion.

I just figured Marten was excusing himself from the imminent awkward conversation.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Clubman8

• Plantmonster
  • Probably will never post enough to seem not new.
« Reply #112 on: 16 Dec 2016, 21:41 »

If Jeph doesn't deliver on cereal eating, I'm going to riot. At least splice it in between Bubbles' storytelling. That would be amazing.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #113 on: 17 Dec 2016, 08:32 »

If Jeph doesn't deliver on cereal eating, I'm going to riot. At least splice it in between Bubbles' storytelling. That would be amazing.
Cut to Marten finding Steve's emaciated corpse sitting in front of a mysteriously-still-fresh cereal bowl even while the rest of the place looks like it's weathered a couple of centuries.
We never learn what happened.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2016, 11:34 by Mr_Rose »
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #114 on: 17 Dec 2016, 10:01 »

For a change, Faye could eat cereal while listening to Bubbles.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier
« Reply #115 on: 17 Dec 2016, 10:50 »

In fairness, Jeph doesn't make a habit of doing Steve strips. It's not like he's a.....

8-)

....cereal offender.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #116 on: 17 Dec 2016, 11:05 »

Seriously, though, Jeph may decide to move away from Faye and Bubbles for the week before his winter break. For example, we might go back to Brun and Renee. or maybe Marten wasn't just 'going out' and it turns out that he has a rendezvous with Claire for some reason and we're going to have four or five days of Clairepuns.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #117 on: 17 Dec 2016, 11:12 »

In fairness, Jeph doesn't make a habit of doing Steve strips. It's not like he's a.....

8-)

....cereal offender.

Also, re: Benergy - I really hope not. Clairepuns I'm fine with, but Brun over Bubbles? No thanks.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #118 on: 18 Dec 2016, 19:57 »

Bubbles could have made a recording of herself explaining what she did and why it would be a bad idea to unlock those memories.

As Ido Daisuke did in Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita (which we know Jeph is a fan of).
I also seem to remember the Major reintegrating some memories in a Ghost in the Shell series episode. Cannot remember if it was SAC or Arise, though.

I want to say it was SAC. Was it the episode in which she finds her first cybernetic body?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Jakk Frost

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #119 on: 04 Jan 2017, 12:50 »

When you mostly just sit around in a warehouse all day with no-one to talk to except cargo crates, you've got a lot of time to think about stuff and work out how to solve others' problems. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Jeremy were a self-taught psychologist.

He's quirky though; anyone who actively seeks out Squirrel Girl is quirky.

It's a known fact that some people are great at giving relationship advice even if they're not great at their own relationships.  I'm one of them.  For example, within 5 minutes of an online WoW friend, that I'd never met in real life, telling us about why he was fighting with his wife, I said "Dude, don't take this wrong, but first impressions, it sounds like she's cheating on you."   Three days later, he came on and said it turned out I was right.

Ouch! Damn.  That must have been hard for him to take especially and even more so since it was an online person that alerted him.

Delayed response, sorry, but yeah.  Still, it goes along with the whole idea of "a fresh pair of eyes" or being "to close to the problem to see it".  She was getting pissed at him constantly for all the time he was spending at work and not with her.  Then one day he books off early (easy since he owned the business) to surprise her and do something nice with her, and she gets pissed at him again for expecting her to drop everything she has planned at his whim. 

One might say "well she's right", but getting pissed was in no way warranted, she could have just said "oh sorry honey, I have plans I can't break, but I love you for trying".  Instead she got pissed, which gave me the idea that maybe she almost got caught.  And as mentioned, it turns out I was right.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #120 on: 10 Jan 2017, 01:22 »

OK, peoples - this is important.  I need to know if there is a vendor that sells that t-shirt Marten is wearing - the "Casual Friday" shark one.  thanks.

Here you are
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #121 on: 10 Jan 2017, 06:32 »

So tempting but so expensive.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up