THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 14:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars: Rogue One  (Read 15516 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: Star Wars: Rogue One
« Reply #50 on: 27 Dec 2016, 08:37 »

K2 is everything 3PO should have been. Also I unapologetically love Vader's pun and anyone who complains about it hates laughter.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #51 on: 27 Dec 2016, 10:40 »

Luke: "This was my father's lightsaber?"
Obi Wan Kenobi: "Yes, your father used it to kill about 30 students at the Jedi Temple when he turned to the Dark Side and helped bring about the end of our Order. Then I dismembered his remaining organic limbs and left him to burn to death and screaming in agony on a lava planet after he tried to Force-Choke your heavily pregnant mother. And then I took his lightsaber as a troph---as a legacy for you...Not that I want you to destroy your own father, without telling you of your connection to him because I, like the rest of my order were emotionally stunted people who couldn't understand the idea that we brought about our own destruction."
Luke: .....
Obi Wan Kenobi: "I mean yes, that was your father's lightsaber. He was a good friend of mine."

Luke: *Points lightsaber at face*
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #52 on: 30 Dec 2016, 17:41 »

Loved the movie. Hated Saw and Cassian.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #53 on: 30 Dec 2016, 23:09 »

Why did you hate Cassian? Just curious because I've come across others who disliked Saw, but not Cassian yet, I don't think.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #54 on: 31 Dec 2016, 06:21 »

I felt Cassian was a rather weak character. I can see they were trying for a Han Solo-eque 'Angel with a dirty face' rogue, but he just didn't have the charm of Han, and I didn't feel they particularly communicated his inner conflict between his orders and what he's done compared to how he feels about it. He came off as rather the least interesting of the cast to me.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #55 on: 31 Dec 2016, 07:20 »

They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #56 on: 31 Dec 2016, 08:40 »

I felt Cassian was a rather weak character. I can see they were trying for a Han Solo-eque 'Angel with a dirty face' rogue, but he just didn't have the charm of Han, and I didn't feel they particularly communicated his inner conflict between his orders and what he's done compared to how he feels about it. He came off as rather the least interesting of the cast to me.

Maybe not the least interesting, but his character felt ... unfinished. Like some crucial pieces ended on the cutting room floor - or as if they couldn't decide which take of the character to go with and ended up with a bit of everything. As to Saw Gerrera: For somebody of Whitaker's calibre, that role was an insult. I'm still a bit pissed about it. (To add insult to injury, Whitaker's German dub-actor seemed hell-bent on making him sound as demented as possible)

And I didn't really see the 'big revelation about using the Force' that some people seemed to have gained from Chirrut's character? Great martial artist, weakly force-sensitive - what's new about that? Maybe I missed smth.?

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2016, 12:53 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #57 on: 31 Dec 2016, 15:13 »

I loved Chirrut's character. All of the Jedi are believed to be gone at this point, so people are starting to believe that the Force isn't with them or even around. (Which is important to the story in episodes IV-VI.) So seeing someone who is NOT a Jedi have such a connection to the Force and use it in such a way simply because he believes was an awesome thing to see. The only other things that Force-sensitives have shown is feeling disturbances, like when something bad happens or when someone close to them dies. Also I just really liked his sense of humor and common sense.

In regards to Saw, I was mad he didn't have a bigger role. It's Forrest Freaking Whitaker. He's an amazing actor and his part was kind of strange and far too small. I like how they handled his death, but they didn't round out his character nearly enough. I also felt that way a little bit with Cassian, but he had the whole movie whereas Saw had only a small portion. I also wish Mikkelsen had more screen time but that's just because I think he's a good actor and for once I was seeing him play a non-villain.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #58 on: 31 Dec 2016, 15:26 »

I agree with the rest of you that both Saw and Cassian were underdeveloped. If I could wish anything in the film improved, it would probably be that.

Wanting to know more about them is close to the opposite of hating them, though.

I feel that 'hate' is a strong term to describe someone you found uninteresting.

I wouldn't have been happy for Cassian to be 'Han Solo-eque' (and I didn't feel that he was). There's already been quite enough riffing off the original films. There are plenty of archetypes out there to chose from.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #59 on: 05 Jan 2017, 05:50 »

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #60 on: 05 Jan 2017, 06:01 »

@Blue Kitty,

I know that meme is a funny. However, I feel that I have to say this: His delusions aside, never forget that Darth Vader was not Anakin Skywalker. Ben was at worst exaggerating about a reasonable extrapolation about what his younger brother in-all-but-blood would have wanted.

Depending on your point of view. :wink:
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #61 on: 05 Jan 2017, 06:08 »

Or you know, Lucas changed his mind about major plot points in movies that were made decades apart.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #62 on: 05 Jan 2017, 13:45 »

Ben was at worst exaggerating about a reasonable extrapolation about what his younger brother in-all-but-blood would have wanted.

Exaggerating about an extrapolation about what he would have wanted. That is funnier than the meme.  :laugh:

Yeah, it's just a minor plot hole. It would be fair to say that, at the time Lucas wrote that line, he didn't have the back story of Anakin Skywalker entirely nailed down.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #63 on: 05 Jan 2017, 13:45 »

But he told the truth

From a certain point of view
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up