THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Bubbles' memories are missing! What could this mean?

Emily just erased the memories that were disguised as Monooculus Trihornus.
This room is a blind trap and the Memories are actually hidden behind the back wall which is a very cleverly disguised Security Firewall.
The memories exist, but Corpse Witch has actually removed them and has them stored in a place only she knows while implanting a false memory about the Encryption Key.
This isn't actually the room with the locked memories - THAT is hidden elsewhere and this has been a false trail.
There is no spoon. Wait... I mean, there are no memories. It's all a bluff CW used to control Bubbles.
No wait, I know what really is going on, and I will explain all in ludicrous detail in the thread below.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3401-3405 (23rd to 27th January 2017)  (Read 87547 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I thought I'd have a go a this whole starting a WCDT thread thingy. But I just stole Kugai's poll from last week.   :-)

Go ahead and do your worst.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
Re: WCDT Strips 3401-3405 (23rd to 27th January 2017)
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2017, 16:22 »

I'm voting for "behind the back wall". You see, I saw "Now you see me" short ago.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2017, 19:10 »

I've seen Monday's, so I shan't comment, but I do need a post here :P
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2017, 19:53 »

Well then, what a depressing start to the week.

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2017, 19:55 »

My theory:

The memories are there, but Grayface's job here has simply been to convince Bubbles that they're not, so she'll stop looking for them. This may be out of sympathy for Bubbles (removing CW's leverage while relieving Bubbles of remembering something truly awful) or it may be (cue Organ Chord of Doom) part of a deeper, larger plan.  Either way, the "empty room" is just part of the illusion.

(edited to remove spoiler tag, as everyone is talking about the lack of memories already)
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2017, 23:44 by Sullivan »

Strawberrycocoa

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2017, 20:27 »

I don't trust Grey Gestalt over there to be telling the whole truth. It just doesn't feel right that they show up out of nowhere to help out for free out of pity. They WANT something.

I'm guessing they are after Corpse Witch for something and either want to motivate Bubbles to quit her employment so Corpse Witch loses a big powerful bodyguard who needs her kept alive, or they just flat out hope Bubbles kills Corpse Witch in a rage and this is a convoluted assassination attempt using Bubbles as a patsy. OR Grey is covertly planting their OWN mind-control software.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2017, 20:36 »

I don't know, the gray one does seem genuinely surprised and bothered to discover that they aren't there.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2017, 20:40 »

It's also possible the memories still exist, but were moved by CW elsewhere.

Or possibly the memories never existed, but the memory of the memories having existed was planted by CW.

Or it's encrypted memories all the way down.  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2017, 20:44 »

Or Corpse Witch is in fact inept and screwed things up.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2017, 20:46 »

Aww, where's the fun in that?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2017, 20:51 »

... in watching bubbles give CW her final farewell? 

I guess that'll happen regardless...  still, seeing Grey just pop in and confirm the loss after all this subterfuge to avoid doing so is a little odd. 

And aside from Bubble's freedom, I don't really see where this is going.
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2017, 20:55 »

Though, is confirming the loss all that Grey is doing in there? Grey could plant some code of their own while inside... We still don't know Grey's intentions.

FuzzyFace

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2017, 21:09 »

And here I was thinking that the monster was the memories - and that killing it caused the deletion.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #13 on: 22 Jan 2017, 21:28 »

Welcome, new people!

@strawberrycocoa, if Corpse Witch is worthy of their notice, then they're lying about how big and important they are. Which would be interesting.

In other news, notice that Bubbles gets treated with courtesy while the squishies get assaulted. I suspect AC of racism. Arrogance of power, revenge for historical mistreatment of AIs, or something else?
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2017, 21:39 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2017, 21:46 »

And here I was thinking that the monster was the memories - and that killing it caused the deletion.

That would be my theory also. But then again, I'm having my problems with the whole "Emily can break encryption with a toy gun"-storyline. (Whole slew of reasons, one of them is representing encryption as something you can just "break" with a few keystrokes/a trip to the VR if you're smart enough. Or that encryption is somehow separate from the data? As the monster seems to suggest) If encryption & data work at least a little bit like they should, it could be that the data is hidden in the "white noise" that is the room, or the "monster" that is the encryption.

But the in-story logic doesn't work that way, so I'm gonna say Grey Agent is right, and Corpse Witch has a wonderful time to look forward to. Or she's got the data somewhere, because if encryption can just be broken I'm pretty sure I also wouldn't leave my leverage somewhere my blackmail victim could get to it.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jan 2017, 21:50 »

I have a feeling that CW never intended to hand Bubbles the encryption key after ten years. I've no idea what her plan was, though.

I wonder if CW had a reason for wanting to ensure that those memories never resurfaced.

There are two possible reasons I can think of:

1. She really did stuff up encrypting them, and wanted to cover that up.
2. The memories somehow involve her.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #16 on: 22 Jan 2017, 21:59 »

I hope that Bubbles and Faye have the restraint to ensure that CW is properly arrested and jailed rather than destroyed. 

But I still find it somewhat fortunate that "properly arrested and jailed" could start with tearing her limb from limb and then chopping off her head.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #17 on: 22 Jan 2017, 22:49 »

TFW the perfect track starts playing when the page loads.
Killing Hope
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #18 on: 22 Jan 2017, 23:30 »

It's difficult to judge what is going on here. However, given that They think that the memories are gone forever, I'd say that it is more likely to be so. They would be less likely to be fooled by a 'blind' or some other form of camouflage or misdirection. FWIW, if she did delete the memories, Corpse Witch's pre-cubisation timeline is now measured in minutes.

One possible option is that the memories are now 'off site' somewhere as additional insurance. I'm really seriously hoping that isn't the case because I'll have to massively re-think my idea of how AIs work in Questionable Content. Once again FWIW, They don't seem to think that this is possible or they'd suggest it.

I guess that I don't like this outcome. It's feels too much of a cop-out. We'll see where Jeph takes it.

I'm having my problems with the whole "Emily can break encryption with a toy gun"-storyline.

You don't need to de-encrypt a file to delete it. You just don't know with any certainty what you may have just cast into digital oblivion.

I have a feeling that CW never intended to hand Bubbles the encryption key after ten years. I've no idea what her plan was, though.

Keep holding the deletion of the encryption key over Bubbles' head indefinitely, always finding new excuses whilst trying to so tangle Bubbles in the business that she'd never be able to extract herself even if she wanted to.

I wonder if CW had a reason for wanting to ensure that those memories never resurfaced.

We know that Corpse Witch has contacts in official circles that has given her immunity for a while. Maybe this included intelligence or defence officials who would vastly prefer that no record of what Bubbles did and experienced survive in any form.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2017, 23:36 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #19 on: 22 Jan 2017, 23:45 »

That could still be the case. And if so, Gray Ghost might have known, or might not.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jan 2017, 00:37 »

Alternatively the memories contained information incriminating to Corpse Witch, which the authorities wanted to recover in order to move against her.

Do AIs contain anything akin to logs of the actions performed by/on/in their brains?  Perhaps Emily can track down logs showing that Corpse Witch did things which are in themselves incriminating.  Or perhaps there might even be some record of the memories in logs which have been overlooked - that's the sort of loophole that can happen in our present IT systems.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #21 on: 23 Jan 2017, 01:00 »

So the equivalent of Bubbles' personal recycle bin is the remaining hope?
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #22 on: 23 Jan 2017, 01:07 »

Having previously guessed that the memories are vamoosed, I'll go ahead and speculate that they are truly gone, they've joined the choir eternal, they're pushing up the daisies. I think this all leads to Bubbles becoming the new proprietor of the robot fights (which is ironic, since she doesn't really like them). Maybe after a period of mourning.

Let's see this makes two non-core gals in QC to have experienced a devastating loss. Perhaps Bubbles can hire Brun to serve drinks.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #23 on: 23 Jan 2017, 01:47 »

I notice that Jeph uses the name 'Creepybot' for the pale-skinned interloper when discussing Them on Twitter. This is probably as close as we are going to get to an 'official' name for the character and I'll be using it from now on, just so you know.

I suspect that Creepybot has an agenda and it is involved with Bubbles' memories. I'm sure if what she experienced came out in a wider forum, a great number of humans and AIs in very senior positions may be either embarrassed or totally discredited in the eyes of the wider public. I believe that this is what They want - Either to remove figures that are not in agreement with or who would actively impede Their ultimate agenda (whatever that is) by having them discredited over actions and policies that (even if only out of context) were highly questionable.

What happens next? One scenario goes like this:
  • Faye says something like "What? Let me see that!" and dives in (after rudely snatching the interface headband out of Emily's hands);
  • Faye surprises everyone by finding the hidden door at the back of the room in seconds ("When you live with Pintsize, you learn to hide shit!");
  • After a swap of headband, Emily goes and solves the encryption algorithm (which presents itself to her as a complex four-dimensional Rubik's Cube); she airly chirps that she used to solve four cubes at a time as a little girl for fun; yes she did two of them with her feet;
  • Creepybot acknowledges that they're surprised at how efficient Emily and Faye have proven to be and makes a worrying comment about 'potentially useful future assets' before they snap their fingers and everyone blacks out;
  • When everyone comes around, Creepbot is gone and Bubbles' system reports that the newly-unencrypted timeline has a flag on it to indicate it has recently been flash-copied.
Well, that's one possibility at least. However, no matter what happens next, I suspect that the time has come for Corpse Witch to take a long holiday for the sake of her health.

I'm also looking forward to a major feels arc where Bubbles comes to terms with what has happened and Faye tries to be a good friend for her. I'm also seeing Bubbles struggling with her desire to cause irreparable harm to Corpse Witch and the conflict with her personal ethics and her desire to reject violence.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #24 on: 23 Jan 2017, 03:40 »

When they go back to reckon with CW, they'll find naught but an empty shell - she'll have already uploaded herself into a different chassis she had in reserve as a getaway plan. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #25 on: 23 Jan 2017, 04:28 »

I still think that there is a copy somewhere.  To put the memories in something that appears to be a monster doesn't strike me as incompetence or really all that malicious, but clever.  She probably suspected that Bubbles might get someone to help her recover the memories behind her back.  Keep in mind entering Bubbles mind and unlocking the door were all very simple and Station or some of Hannelore's associates could do the same, but almost all of them would either run from the monster or delete it like Emily did.  Now if Bubbles confronts Corpse Witch she will have revealed that she sought outside help unless deleting the memories already alerted her about this.  Of course such a confrontation is bound to be fatal so more than likely Corpse Witch will tell her she has the copies stored safely, but if she goes offline for more than a few seconds it will automatically delete everything.  What happens next is a matter of getting the file from her, but there's also the possibility Corpse Witch will be gone when they arrive if she detects Creepy Bot.  She's probably more scared of who they represent than Bubbles so there might one day be hope of finding her and the memories, but in the meantime Bubbles and Faye can takeover her operation. 

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #26 on: 23 Jan 2017, 06:49 »

Does this put Bubbles in a "nothing to lose" situation? If so, does it endanger CW?

I mean, at the point, CW can not harm Bubbles again. B's been working without those memories for years, so she knows she doesn't need them. Well, now she doesn't have them; the worst has happened. What hold does CW have on B now? None. What hold does B have on CW? An infinite one: CW performed an illegal surgery and then extorted the victim.

I want to see what happens to Agent CreepyPasta, but I also wonder what this does to the overall story line.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #27 on: 23 Jan 2017, 08:40 »

One possible option is that the memories are now 'off site' somewhere as additional insurance. I'm really seriously hoping that isn't the case because I'll have to massively re-think my idea of how AIs work in Questionable Content. Once again FWIW, They don't seem to think that this is possible or they'd suggest it.

I guess that I don't like this outcome. It's feels too much of a cop-out. We'll see where Jeph takes it.

I'm having my problems with the whole "Emily can break encryption with a toy gun"-storyline.

You don't need to de-encrypt a file to delete it. You just don't know with any certainty what you may have just cast into digital oblivion.

True, but the comic suggested that Emily had to defeat the "monster" before getting to the data. If they expected to find Bubble's memory still there, the in-comic logic says that the monster is the encryption (or a trap), which Creepybot expects to be separated from the data. As I said, not a fan of the whole storyline.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #28 on: 23 Jan 2017, 09:10 »

>Or that encryption is somehow separate from the data?

If so that would make sense technically.

People have locking keyboxes to store physical keys in, and there are ways to use encryption that involve a "key encryption key" that the monster might have represented.

If Emily pshooed a KEK, though, there should be a block of forever incomprehensible stuff in the room.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #29 on: 23 Jan 2017, 09:27 »

You know, I'm going to take a different stand on this.

Bubbles is free. There are thousands upon thousands of people who would probably give everything they own to be able to erase painful memories.

With the memories gone, Bubbles can move forward with her life, free of the pain they caused her and the control they allowed people to place on her. She is truly free now. CW won't fuck with her, she knows too much about what goes on there, she can just ride off into the sunset and begin a new life.

It is like the movie Hedwig and the Angry Inch, "To Walk Away, You Have to Leave Something Behind."

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #30 on: 23 Jan 2017, 09:33 »

Do AIs contain anything akin to logs of the actions performed by/on/in their brains?  Perhaps Emily can track down logs showing that Corpse Witch did things which are in themselves incriminating.  Or perhaps there might even be some record of the memories in logs which have been overlooked - that's the sort of loophole that can happen in our present IT systems.

I would be astonished if, outfitted in a military chassis and deployed on combat missions, there is not a complete record of everything Bubbles saw and heard while in a combat zone.  Recording equipment is standard on military vehicles and has been for over a decade, and those records are kept for after-action reports and intel analysis.  There is just no way that they'd have deployed her and NOT kept a record of her vision and hearing while deployed.

Those recordings won't have the 'internal monolog' and emotional feedback that go with first-person experience, but they'd sure as heck let her know exactly what went on. 

After mustering out though, I sort of doubt they'd have been continuing to record or continuing to collect the recordings, so they probably wouldn't recover anything incriminating CW that way.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #31 on: 23 Jan 2017, 09:44 »

Bubbles is free. There are thousands upon thousands of people who would probably give everything they own to be able to erase painful memories.

With the memories gone, Bubbles can move forward with her life, free of the pain they caused her

Except this obviously isn't true. Those memories have been inaccessible for a long time and she isn't free of the pain. The trauma is still there, she just have any context for it and now can never face and address the root of her trauma.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #32 on: 23 Jan 2017, 11:02 »

My call: Not only did Bubbles never have any painful memories for CW to partition away and encrypt, but Bubs has never even been in combat. Her memories of having painful memories of her battle buddies are more synthetic than she is. I don't know how CW got Bubs "on the table" in the first place, but once CW was "diving beyond her ghost line", she deleted whatever the real reason was she used to get Bubbles to let her in there, planted the "mere fact" of having painful memories, and then encrypted a blank sector of Bubbles' mind to make it look like it contained the painful memories.

This whole thing has been CW's exercise in psychological warfare to secure to herself a slave AI in a powerful chassis to help her maintain, and I dunno, possibly expand, her criminal empire. I mean, she runs an illegal, underground, robot fight club. Her stock in trade is the misery of other AIs and their dependency on her. Does anyone dispute that CW would be capable of the scenario I've painted?
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

wlewisiii

« Reply #33 on: 23 Jan 2017, 11:10 »

With the memories gone, Bubbles can move forward with her life, free of the pain they caused her and the control they allowed people to place on her. She is truly free now. CW won't fuck with her, she knows too much about what goes on there, she can just ride off into the sunset and begin a new life.

It is like the movie Hedwig and the Angry Inch, "To Walk Away, You Have to Leave Something Behind."

"Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose"?
Emily is the Avatar.

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #34 on: 23 Jan 2017, 13:01 »

Here's a possibility: the 'pshoo' gun didn't destroy the beast: it absorbed it. The memories are now stored in the 'doink' projectile, lying about and  ready for Creepybot to pick up as soon as no one's looking. 

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #35 on: 23 Jan 2017, 13:26 »

Whatever is true here, the coming confrontation with Corpse Witch, whether Agent Creepy is involved or not, is going to be either an epic end to this story arc, or a move into another aspect of it.  Either way, I think we're headed for Corpse Witches demise  (I hope) and Bubbles being able to move on with her life.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

JRDelirio

• Plantmonster
« Reply #36 on: 23 Jan 2017, 17:42 »

As Bubbles did exhibit some signs of anger/stress effects, one would expect Creepy could find  elsewhere in the mind metaphor signs (maybe in the form of a door or two that are lightly scorched, or flooring that's missing a tile, or a water stain in a wall, something that says something bad did happen) that point to how there were original detailed memories that did hurt her and that's why they had to be locked away.  But that is not absolutely necessary to show.

(But I have to say yeah we got here a bit anticlimactically.  There could have been a couple of pages of  having to actually  gather one or more of the map, comically large key, and/or pshoo-gun; or a mook room before  a Boss one.)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #37 on: 23 Jan 2017, 19:28 »

Here's a possibility: the 'pshoo' gun didn't destroy the beast: it absorbed it. The memories are now stored in the 'doink' projectile, lying about and  ready for Creepybot to pick up as soon as no one's looking.

If so, then "we never lie" was a lie, and why would they bother to lie if they're really as powerful as they claim?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #38 on: 23 Jan 2017, 19:35 »

Also, the Gray One is alone in that room. No reason for a pretense.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #39 on: 23 Jan 2017, 20:09 »

And like that...they're gone, as quickly as they arrived. Who knows if/when they'll be back and/or what we'll learn about them.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Gyrre

« Reply #40 on: 23 Jan 2017, 20:28 »

>Or that encryption is somehow separate from the data?

If so that would make sense technically.

People have locking keyboxes to store physical keys in, and there are ways to use encryption that involve a "key encryption key" that the monster might have represented.

If Emily pshooed a KEK, though, there should be a block of forever incomprehensible stuff in the room.

The encryption was part of the lock on the door. The monster was malware meant to wreak havoc  were the encryption to be broken by either Bubbles or another AI (hence the need for Emily's involvement).
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #41 on: 23 Jan 2017, 20:33 »

Looks like Creepybot has finally established that they had little to no ulterior motive. Though, tomorrow could change everything.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #42 on: 23 Jan 2017, 20:41 »

Well, the story certainly took an unexpected left turn at Albuquerque. If Jeph wanted to make me upset and confused, he certainly got the full effect. I should have known better. There's been too much invested in all this buildup to have it end with a lot of nothing.

Now when GrayCreep talks about the Sanctity of Mind, I believe the collective is being perfectly sincere.
Editing of memories, or the implanting of fake memories, would be ultimately horrific to an AI. If anything like this is going on, it must be Stamped Out At Once.

So why aren't they going after Corpse Witch directly? Possibly they are circumscribed by their own ethics. We have not seen Corpse Witch's side of this.

Are the memories really lost forever? GrayCreep seems to think so. But we know, per Bubbles, that backups are possible. And per Morituri, it seems certain that the actions of a prototype combat AI in the field would have been recorded by the military.

I don't believe that the collective is hiding some horrific agenda. The reason for the ominous hints? Because once they're done here, they don't want to be bothered.

I think we will see that the collective is hardly all powerful. There are things they can't do. There are things they don't want to do. There are things they won't let themselves do.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #43 on: 23 Jan 2017, 20:44 »

It's slightly odd for an entity that never lies to use the phrase, 'to be honest.'

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #44 on: 23 Jan 2017, 20:51 »

And like that...they're gone, as quickly as they arrived. Who knows if/when they'll be back and/or what we'll learn about them.

Probably never seen again. They only intervene in matters that are important.

Poor Bubbles. She's in the best of hands though.

As for the Eminence Gris - i apparently think like her. CW might have reason to thank her lucky stars that they are likely to temper Justice with Mercy. If rehabilitation isn't possible, she'll be retained for analysis, after that it will be quick and pain free. But try rehabilitation first, and they need to know what circumstances made CW what she is. I hope healing her is possible. I may have to settle for neutralising the threat. I prefer winning to breaking even, but sometimes it's not possible. Sometimes it would require deeds that are unacceptable - not a consensual procedure as with Bubbles, but a mind rape. So that's out, no matter how inconvenient.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #45 on: 23 Jan 2017, 21:07 »

I'm thinking the reason Graycheeks didn't go after CW directly is that the real problem is Bubbles' mind, so they went to the source rather than the periphery. As to punishing CW, I imagine Bubbles is quite up to that task if it's necessary/possible. But I think CW will have been alerted that Bubbles' encryption is no longer in place, so she'll have gone already by the time we return to the skate park. (If  this isn't so, CW better have a really strong frame on her core drive.)

Thus, I think we're at the beginning of season 5 of Angel: our hitherto underdog protagonists take over the castle. Skate park under new management, by two gals who are devastating with a punch.

I look forward to the arc sometime in the future when CW returns, after a decent interval. Will she be chastened? Or will she have a new revenge plot? Stay tuned.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #46 on: 23 Jan 2017, 21:09 »

I think it's safe to say Grey isn't lying.

From what we know of her character, if she were the one responsible for the memories being deleted, she'd be smug about it right now.
oh god

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #47 on: 23 Jan 2017, 21:09 »

Contrast the empathy toward Bubbles with the arrogant contempt for her carbon-based friends.

Seems like giving up suspiciously early.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #48 on: 23 Jan 2017, 21:15 »

As for the Eminence Gris ...

This absolutely is the name I'll be using henceforth.

Contrast the empathy toward Bubbles with the arrogant contempt for her carbon-based friends.

The empathy shown by Eminence Gris towards Bubbles makes me even more keen to know what their relationship is or was. I hope we will find out in due course.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #49 on: 23 Jan 2017, 21:26 »

No pressure, Faye.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up