Advanced search  

Poll

What will Bubbles do now?

Open her own AI chassis repair shop
Start campaigning for more AI rights
Run an AI counselling service
Work at Coffee of Doom as Special Tea Advice
Eventually feel comfortable enough among humans to stop wearing her armour
I know what she will do next! Let me explain.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3416 to 3420 (13th to 17th February 2017)  (Read 37047 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

New week, new WCDT thingy.

Faye, there are times when it's not such a good idea to crack wise.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Clubman8

• Plantmonster
  • Probably will never post enough to seem not new.
Re: WCDT Strips 3416 to 3420 (13th to 17th February 2017)
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2017, 21:27 »

"Say goodbye to Basilisk until we decide to bring her back randomly in a few hundred pages."

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2017, 23:32 »

I'm pretty sure that Bubbles next job will be something really menial and casual. I'm not sure if this would reflect lack of ambition on her part, the feeling that she needs something now or whether, on a certain level, it will be a sort of penance thing.

That said, yeah, I'm pretty sure that, in the long run, Jeph is planning for Faye and Bubbles to open a charity repair shop, possibly funded through some kind of foundation operated by Hanelore's parents.

Meanwhile, I have only one thing to say about today's strip at this point. It's Bubbles' inner monologue right now: "Faye, please stop trying to make a potentially bad situation bad for real by cheeking an officer of the law. Thank you." Faye really need to know when she's in trouble and shut up. Of course, we all know that her flirty mockery is her defence mechanism but this is a bad time to let it happen.

Oh, and one other thing: Jeph really needs to settle on a height for Bubbles. She shrunk about six inches between panels 4 and 5 today!

Finally, I think I know what the rest of this week is going to be: It's the old Questionable Content tradition of two characters walking through Northampton and talking with some kind of quip in the last panel. I suspect that Bubbles and Faye are going to want to come to some kind of grip on what has happened to them and what they're going to do next. I think that we're also going to get an insight into their differing mindsets and approaches to the problems they face.

[tweet]830077829773660166[/tweet]

This may be me but I'm getting the feeling that Jeph has decided that Faye and Bubbles are his new main characters, much how Marten and Dora (and later Marten and Claire) were for a huge while.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2017, 23:45 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2017, 00:38 »

It's definitely the most interesting story line. Unless he wants to create some relationship drama, but that just seams lazy.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2017, 02:08 »

This may be me but I'm getting the feeling that Jeph has decided that Faye and Bubbles are his new main characters, much how Marten and Dora (and later Marten and Claire) were for a huge while.

Bring it on, I say.

The Bubbles and Faye arc has been a far more interesting character story than Marten and Claire ever was (that one just seemed to twist down a dead end street.)
I've little interest in Marten and Claire at all.

Now... getting back to Marten and Faye... far more interesting dynamic.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2017, 04:07 by JoeCovenant »
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2017, 04:22 »

I'm pretty sure that Bubbles next job will be something really menial and casual. I'm not sure if this would reflect lack of ambition on her part, the feeling that she needs something now or whether, on a certain level, it will be a sort of penance thing.

That said, yeah, I'm pretty sure that, in the long run, Jeph is planning for Faye and Bubbles to open a charity repair shop, possibly funded through some kind of foundation operated by Hanelore's parents.

Meanwhile, I have only one thing to say about today's strip at this point. It's Bubbles' inner monologue right now: "Faye, please stop trying to make a potentially bad situation bad for real by cheeking an officer of the law. Thank you." Faye really need to know when she's in trouble and shut up. Of course, we all know that her flirty mockery is her defence mechanism but this is a bad time to let it happen.

Perhaps Faye feels a certain sense of over confidence because of the smug dickhead who favors Bubbles.  And considering all that Creepybot is capable of it would be in Officer Basilisk's interest to drop the matter.   

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2017, 04:48 »

"Thank you to the kind police officer, Faye."
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2017, 06:19 »

Bring it on, I say.

The Bubbles and Faye arc has been a far more interesting character story than Marten and Claire ever was (that one just seemed to twist down a dead end street.)

Martin and Claire were wish-fulfilment/Fan-service par excellence. Mind you they have been together so long now that the initial joy is well gone, maybe time for tedium-induced drama.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2017, 06:26 »

"STFU Faye."

Now... getting back to Marten and Faye... far more interesting dynamic.  :laugh:

There it is in a nutshell.  Mature people's stable relationships with each other don't provide much conflict to write about.  Relationships involving Faye stay interesting because she's a well of emotional turmoil.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2017, 06:40 »

Martin and Claire were wish-fulfilment/Fan-service par excellence. Mind you they have been together so long now that the initial joy is well gone, maybe time for tedium-induced drama.

I can't help but wonder if Jeph is saving up Marten and Claire for 'the next step' in their relationship. IMO, this would likely be Claire moving permanently into the apartment (with the obligatory "You're over there more often than you're here anyway" remark from Claire's mother).

There is a possible alternative; it's radical but it would be an interesting way to shake things up: Maybe a house swap between Marten, Claire, Faye and Bubbles with Claire's mother. Claire's mother, who feels that the house is 'too empty' with both her children having flown the coop and wants to downsize, has more than sufficient income to pay the rent on her own and the Augustus house is fully paid-up, meaning  that the young people would only need to pay utilities on the house. Jeph gets to develop a whole new location as a scene of events and we can have a five-man band in the house (including Pintsize, let's not forget) without the characters basically bouncing off of each other and the walls.

What about Hannelore? Well, I can imagine that she wouldn't like not being able to just 'drop in' on Marten and Faye anymore. However, I can't help wonder if she and Claire's mother would end up having a friendship of their own. Claire's mother would have a new young person on her life that she could spend time helping out. Meanwhile, Hannelore has the benefit of a level-headed and sensible older woman to help ground her without the emotional issues that come from her rocky relationship with her parents.

Just food for thought that suddenly occurred to me.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2017, 07:29 by BenRG »
~~~~

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2017, 07:48 »

"STFU Faye."

There it is in a nutshell.  Mature people's stable relationships with each other don't provide much conflict to write about.  Relationships involving Faye stay interesting because she's a well of emotional turmoil.

Marten and Claire are like Dora and Tai or Dale and Marigold It was the getting to their relationship that was the interesting story bits. Now both couples have settled down into them, there just isn't a lot to drive a story unless something changes. In the end the comic is mostly about the various characters interpersonal relationships with each other, and those six are pretty settled now. So it's not to surprising that Jeph would turn to other characters, and introduce new ones so that he has something to write about. And honestly, I would prefer that than what some serialized works do and have something bad happen every time it seems the main character has a good thing going. Consider long running comic heroes like Spider Man or Batman who can never have a stable relationship without someone getting kidnapped constantly, dying or turning evil. I'd rather see characters rotating in and out of circulation than Marten being the eternal punching bag.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2017, 08:14 »

'course in the real world the characters would be starting to hit kid o'clock...

[Later] And now I think about it AIs and child rearing would be a extremely complex topic with all sorts of implications, but I suspect the author has to hit that stage in his own life before he can realistically tackle it.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2017, 08:53 by JimC »

blt

« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2017, 08:21 »

Perhaps Faye feels a certain sense of over confidence because of the smug dickhead who favors Bubbles.  And considering all that Creepybot is capable of it would be in Officer Basilisk's interest to drop the matter.

My feeling was that Creepybot was only interested in the memory theft and encryption.  If Bubbles found herself in trouble with the law they'd have no interest in the situation.

Then again, they may kindly suggest to Officer B that she show her a bit of leniency because of the coercion involved.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2017, 09:08 »

"STFU Faye."

Marten and Claire are like Dora and Tai or Dale and Marigold It was the getting to their relationship that was the interesting story bits. Now both couples have settled down into them, there just isn't a lot to drive a story unless something changes. In the end the comic is mostly about the various characters interpersonal relationships with each other, and those six are pretty settled now. So it's not to surprising that Jeph would turn to other characters, and introduce new ones so that he has something to write about. And honestly, I would prefer that than what some serialized works do and have something bad happen every time it seems the main character has a good thing going. Consider long running comic heroes like Spider Man or Batman who can never have a stable relationship without someone getting kidnapped constantly, dying or turning evil. I'd rather see characters rotating in and out of circulation than Marten being the eternal punching bag.

I get where you're coming from.
But surely it's possible to have a long running strip with two people-in a stable relationship-that actually invokes some kind of funny/dramatic/emotional content that holds the attention?

Having binge read the entire run in a very short time, and only recently finding out this forum existed, I had no idea that Claire was the result of fan wish-list-dom.  But, now that I've picked that up, it retroactively (maybe) goes a little way in explaining why the character always felt off-balance with the rest of the script/cast to me.
Nothing to do with gender politics or anything else, she just always seemed... I dunno.. surplus to requirements?

(I'm not terribly keen on Clinton either, but then his love Triangle/Square storyline just (so far) seems to have died a death.)

Of course, now that I know the above, it does make me wonder if Claire's existence came about because of the split from Dora...
Or was the Dora split brought on because of the wish for Claire to exist?
Maybe neither, of course. But...if the latter... Boooo!  :)   (Yeah, I liked the Marten/Dora dynamic a lot better - almost as much as Marten/Faye!)

The way things are going, I wouldn't mind if Bubbles' story carried on for a good while. I honestly think she is the best character Jeph has written to date. I'm still hoping the introduction of Spookybot is a lead into deeper and darker things, and not just (as I said when they first appeared) a literal Deus Ex Machina!

Cheers!
Covenant

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #14 on: 13 Feb 2017, 09:26 »

Purely FWIW, I can't see Marten and Claire taking on responsibility for a kid until after Claire graduates her Masters' course. I could excuse Jeph not wanting to deal with it though. There would be a huge level of Tumblr anger if the process is too smooth and people feel that he is 'glossing over' the problems RL trans* people have with adoption. Of course, there would be just as much anger if too many thought he was trying to 'milk the problem' for clicks. It is a can of worms that he would be entirely justified to refuse to open.

I can only see it happening with Dora and Tai as an incredibly strong impulse decision (possibly related to a secondary character pairing like Wil and Penny starting a family). In the latter scenario, part of the story would centre around a sense of inadequacy and lots of second thoughts.
~~~~

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #15 on: 13 Feb 2017, 09:43 »

Purely FWIW, I can't see Marten and Claire taking on responsibility for a kid until after Claire graduates her Masters' course. I could excuse Jeph not wanting to deal with it though. There would be a huge level of Tumblr anger if the process is too smooth and people feel that he is 'glossing over' the problems RL trans* people have with adoption. Of course, there would be just as much anger if too many thought he was trying to 'milk the problem' for clicks. It is a can of worms that he would be entirely justified to refuse to open.

I can only see it happening with Dora and Tai as an incredibly strong impulse decision (possibly related to a secondary character pairing like Wil and Penny starting a family). In the latter scenario, part of the story would centre around a sense of inadequacy and lots of second thoughts.

All very valid points.
I *do* wonder if that has a bearing on Marten and Claire being written into a corner?

I always thought Dora and Faye with different glasses Tia were a good foil for a relationship with the same back and forth as Marten and Faye had.. only with added wriggly goodness... Don't see enough of them.

(I like Dora, okay!?)  :roll:
Covenant

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #16 on: 13 Feb 2017, 12:13 »

Mature people's stable relationships with each other don't provide much conflict to write about.  Relationships involving Faye stay interesting because she's a well of emotional turmoil.

"Mature" and "stable" mean wise management of conflict. Conflict still happens.

Whether we're mature and stable or not, my wife and I wind up laughing ourselves silly at some of our arguments. Some have been almost worthy of being in QC.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Storel

« Reply #17 on: 13 Feb 2017, 12:56 »

Mature people's stable relationships with each other don't provide much conflict to write about.  Relationships involving Faye stay interesting because she's a well of emotional turmoil.

Bingo. Being mature and stable just means you handle the conflicts better, not that conflicts don't happen.

15-year anniversary coming up... next week?!?  :-o

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #18 on: 13 Feb 2017, 13:29 »

I can see Bubbles the auto mechanic.  It would be really handy for a garage to have someone around who didn't need, eg, engine block hoists.  And who doesn't get skinned knuckles when working on cars, and doesn't face any hazard due to exhaust fumes, and won't be particularly stressed if a truck runs over her foot. 

On the other hand she couldn't really do much with jobs where she'd have to get into tight spaces.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #19 on: 13 Feb 2017, 13:37 »

Really any strong person jobs (mover, bouncer, knee breaker...)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #20 on: 13 Feb 2017, 13:49 »

Bingo. Being mature and stable just means you handle the conflicts better, not that conflicts don't happen.

Look at two of the biggest examples of couples in entertainment in recent years - Friends. The conflict between Ross & Rachel was caused by their own inane insecurities and unwillingness to communicate. Compare that to Monica & Chandler who were both deeply insecure people to begin with but by talking to each other, they managed to maintain a loving, supportive relationship for more than half of the show's run.

A couple doesn't need drama to be interesting, nor do they have to provide themselves.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2017, 14:29 by TheEvilDog »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 13 Feb 2017, 14:03 »

I can see Bubbles and Faye going onto the Robot Repair business together with faye doing the odd commissioned artwork on the side.   I wonder if Punchbot witl contact the and get them to do the da the day-to-day work at the Skate Park/Fight Club now that he owns the place?

I suspect we may or may not see the final fate of Corpse Witch.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #22 on: 13 Feb 2017, 14:31 »

I suspect we may or may not see the final fate of Corpse Witch.

Although that might be closer to Robot Hell rather than Robot Jail.

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #23 on: 13 Feb 2017, 14:59 »

'course in the real world the characters would be starting to hit kid o'clock...

The age they're at would be kid o'clock for some people, but I don't think any of the QC characters are ready for kids (even if Jeph wanted babies in the comic). Marten and Claire are in a good place as of their last appearance, but not married or living together yet. Not sure about Tai but Dora doesn't want kids. Marigold and Dale are in their first ever relationship, and she at least is fairly immature. (Come to think of it, Claire is in her first relationship, too). Faye is the only character who has mentioned possibly wanting kids someday iirc, and she is currently single and jobless. The unemployment probably won't last long at all, but as OldGoat pointed out, she's also a well of personal turmoil.

Which leaves...Will and Penelope? Calling it now, next arc is those two suddenly having a very blonde, very well-read baby  :-P

Or someone could come across an adorable abandoned orphan or discover a wisecracking cousin whose parents just died (in a dreadful fire, perhaps?) and they have to raise them. Big Laffs!

(Note that if that happens, even I'm leaving. )

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #24 on: 13 Feb 2017, 15:04 »

I still think that there is a shadowy organization concerned that an AI can do as they please and will collect Corpse Witch in their efforts to trap or eliminate Creepybot.  Considering that they don't normally make appearances unless they are personally offended by something similar to what Corpse Witch did this is just the kind of button such an organization can push to attract Creepybot.   

One other possibility is that Corpse Witch's experience with Creepybot will inspire her to create a religion and why not?  Creepybot is as close to a god like being any AI or human is likely to meet so I can totally believe she would create a cult around them.  As such Creepybot may have created an even worse monster because religious fundamentalists can be the worst people.  I certainly would prefer the cynical manipulator of down on their luck AIs over an insufferable religious zealot any day. 

OldGoat

« Reply #25 on: 13 Feb 2017, 15:40 »

Strong, highly intelligent, thoughtful, highly developed sense of ethics and integrity, wise, has knowledge of the seamier side of life, tactical experience, lots of empathy, loath to employ violence but very adept at it when she needs to be.  Bubbles would make an excellent cop.

Look for Roko to encourage her to apply.  An arc about her deciding whether to go there or not would make a year's worth of strips.

OldGoat

« Reply #26 on: 13 Feb 2017, 15:46 »

Agreed, but as fodder for a writer working in an entertainment medium, it only sells well as comedy.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #27 on: 13 Feb 2017, 15:53 »

Why doesn't an eldritch superpowered AI ever randomly decide to help me out?
(wonders Officer Basilisk to herself)

I like the idea of Bubbles becoming a police officer. Bulletproof and an appearance that commands instant respect.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #28 on: 13 Feb 2017, 15:56 »

I prefer my police officers to not be militarized battlebots.

Morituri

« Reply #29 on: 13 Feb 2017, 16:26 »

What?  Did you not notice "here's all the evidence you want for that skatepark fighting ring you've been investigating, you can go pick up the ringleader now."

I think that counts as helping her out.

Morituri

« Reply #30 on: 13 Feb 2017, 16:33 »

Strong, highly intelligent, thoughtful, highly developed sense of ethics and integrity, wise, has knowledge of the seamier side of life, tactical experience, lots of empathy, loath to employ violence but very adept at it when she needs to be.  Bubbles would make an excellent cop.

.... except for that possible PTSD issue.  While I agree with you that she is both calm and capable, and has many qualities I'd want in an officer, it's not at all clear that she could handle the job on an ongoing basis.  If she's not inclined to do it or doesn't trust herself to do it, she probably knows better than anyone else.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #31 on: 13 Feb 2017, 16:34 »

Why isn't there a "don't like" button?

i want more of Elliot and Brun and Clinton and Emily.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #32 on: 13 Feb 2017, 16:50 »

I like the idea of Bubbles becoming a police officer. Bulletproof and an appearance that commands instant respect.

Bubbles official uniform shall be… a can of chrome spray paint and an octagonal badge.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #33 on: 13 Feb 2017, 19:36 »

Tea solves everything!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #34 on: 13 Feb 2017, 20:23 »

Whatever happened to Faye's sister? Could be a interesting character to add in. Crashing with Faye and Bubbles due to a fight with Mom or something...

*sees latest*

PFFFFFT

Bubbles, you do NOT look good in flame decals and a spoiler.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #35 on: 13 Feb 2017, 20:42 »

I'm just waiting for Bubbles and Faye to hit on the idea of starting the Robot Repair Clinic. Now, as a location for future drama, it would work at least as well as Coffee of Doom did, and probably better. We'd get a steady parade of characters in and out, each with their own stories and personal drama. We could continue to explore the way that AIs integrate into a pre-existing human society. There'd be interpersonal relations with the permanent clinic staff, and drama as Bubbles and Faye become bosses for the first time. And if that's not enough, we could have Creepybot et al hovering on the fringes like a cybernetic Wolfram and Hart.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #36 on: 13 Feb 2017, 20:53 »

Am I the only one who thinks Bubbles with the flames and spoiler looks like Hot Rod?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #37 on: 13 Feb 2017, 21:00 »

We really could have used a spoiler alert.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #38 on: 13 Feb 2017, 21:02 »

Am I the only one who thinks Bubbles with the flames and spoiler looks like Hot Rod?

YOU GOT THE TOUCH!
YOU GOT THE POWAH!

Sorry....

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #39 on: 13 Feb 2017, 21:20 »

The only bar I could see Bubbles working security at would be "The Mended Drum" in another universe, and that would be more as a splatter (they throw harder).
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

TheEvilDog

« Reply #40 on: 13 Feb 2017, 21:25 »

Eh, maybe they can become private detectives. Bubbles and the Peach (they fight crime!)!

But in all likelihood, they'll probably go back to the repair clinic under its more legit management. It's really the only place their combined skill set can really come into play, especially because it should be a decent paying job.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2017, 21:30 by TheEvilDog »

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #41 on: 13 Feb 2017, 21:31 »

Then again, they may kindly suggest to Officer B that she show her a bit of leniency because of the coercion involved.

But not too obviously. They've gone to a great deal of trouble to cultivate that air of palpable menace. They only drop that in private with those deemed trustworthy. Emily for example.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #42 on: 13 Feb 2017, 21:31 »

*cough* *shakes pun jar*
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #43 on: 13 Feb 2017, 21:35 »

You should be flamed for that.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #44 on: 13 Feb 2017, 21:35 »

I think part of the problem with any repair shop is getting the money, neither of them has any "legitimate" experience. Realistically, a bank would never loan out to them; doubt any of their friends have enough capital to put up; and  you couldn't just run the business out of the apartment or on the street as that would be breaking a decent amount of laws as well. Guess someone could give them a job, but now we're going back into that "legitimate" experience thing.

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
« Reply #45 on: 13 Feb 2017, 21:36 »

"Big-ol spoiler and some flame decals."

Nah. Go subtle. Put a "Type R" sticker on it and call it a day.

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
« Reply #46 on: 13 Feb 2017, 21:38 »

I think part of the problem with any repair shop is getting the money, neither of them has any "legitimate" experience. Realistically, a bank would never loan out to them; doubt any of their friends have enough capital to put up; and  you couldn't just run the business out of the apartment or on the street as that would be breaking a decent amount of laws as well. Guess someone could give them a job, but now we're going back into that "legitimate" experience thing.
Maybe. Marten's mom is not destitute. And Hannelore's parents might be interested in supporting such a business.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #47 on: 13 Feb 2017, 21:47 »

Forgot about Hannelore, but at the same time Faye and Bubbles don't exactly come across as "handout" type of people. They have a lot of pride.

Don't get me wrong, I do feel like this story line will go in that direction, I just hope it's written in a believable way. That does feel weird to type considering this is an alternative world with space cannons and sentient AI, but there's been no indication that the economics are any different than in our world. Maybe I'm just getting too into it cause I finally have an excuse to use my college business education...

EDIT - I forgot home repairs are totally a thing. Would still need a business license though.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #48 on: 13 Feb 2017, 21:48 »

I hope there will be some rather content unicorns associated with the aroma of tea.

Meanwhile... I'd still like to know how CW came to be the murderous monster that she is, and whether there might be a path of redemption for her too. I'd like to think so. Not on the top of my priority list, but had I Godlike powers, the list would have everyone on the same line.

Ok, I'm weird. Comes from fighting for human rights even for those who would see me dead .

After their capability to do harm has been neutralised. I'm no saint, and while I'm  foolish, hopefully there are limits. I also have the privilege to be able to indulge in such luxuries, many have to be more brutal in their triage.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #49 on: 13 Feb 2017, 22:07 »

"What are we going to do next, Bubbles?"
"The same thing we do every night, Squishy."
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up