• 29 Mar 2024, 02:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, what next in this gripping tale?

More Faye and Bubbles as they explore the varying definitions of "raccoon"
Just how many hijinks can Spookybot get into when they have seven bodies and more brewing in the tubes?
Just how many arms can Jeremy support before he topples over like a top-heavy pile of dishes?
Corpse Witch's adventures in custody whilst awaiting arraignment
Maybe we can learn more about that blonde who does the tea!
Just who are Faye's roommates anyway? Do they have a story too?
Other major characters? There are other characters?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3421-3425 (20th to 24th February 2017)  (Read 27988 times)

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
Re: WCDT Strips 3421-3425 (20th to 24th February 2017)
« Reply #50 on: 21 Feb 2017, 02:01 »

So sorry, still giggling, I should not be allowed near Brun.

Is Jeph somehow excused for the pun jar? (oeoek stares at the pun jar that seemed to have added an outhouse the size of Scooge McDuck's money bin since comic 3422)

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #51 on: 21 Feb 2017, 02:57 »

...I see she's met the weird boy's sister.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #52 on: 21 Feb 2017, 04:38 »

Hey time traveling Hannelore from five years in the future who is able to own dogs.

She (and the corgi) look much more realistic than the other characters:
perhaps based on an actual friend of Jeph's?

I was thinking Jane Lynch, myself.

She's a lot taller than her or are you referring to a different Jane Lynch? 

Wondering if Brun is into Sex Bird or if that's something she borrowed from Renee or got from the thrift store. 

prime_pm

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #53 on: 21 Feb 2017, 05:38 »

Every Brun strip is a gift.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #54 on: 21 Feb 2017, 05:49 »

Brun seems to have got a job at tSB; I can't see Jim tolerating her 'just hanging around' and disrupting the business;

Naw, it's just "Take Your Unemployed Roommate to Work" day. Renee got sick of coming home to yet another deep cleaning project, so she brought Brun along to keep her out of trouble. "The Nasty Whale" can't reopen soon enough.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #55 on: 21 Feb 2017, 13:26 »

This strip is adorable. Brun just likes to make people laugh, or at least attempt to do it even if they don't laugh.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #56 on: 21 Feb 2017, 15:20 »

I shall Dane to say aye chihuahua!

And I like the fact we're catihcing up with the others now that the CW Saga has been kenneled.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #57 on: 21 Feb 2017, 15:37 »

This strip is adorable. Brun just likes to make people laugh, or at least attempt to do it even if they don't laugh.
She seems to be no more successful at making people laugh than Claire is.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #58 on: 21 Feb 2017, 16:47 »

That brings up a disturbing thought.  Brun is Claire's half sister, which of course neither know.  They got their sense of humour from their mutual dad.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #59 on: 21 Feb 2017, 17:24 »

Hmm...

Brun, I know this is an odd question but run with me here. Have you recently run into a redheaded woman named 'Claire' by any chance? Did she give you some suggestions about how to be more socially at ease and approachable? I'm just wondering.

Seriously, this is really odd; Brun is OOC from what we've seen before. I'm wondering if this is the first time that anyone has laughed at a joke Brun told (remembering that she might not be necessarily fully aware of what's funny) and she liked it. She liked being the cause of a positive reaction of some sort and now she wants another hit, quite badly. Someone needs to tell her that you should only read a joke book one page at a time or you'll get all burned out. :wink:
As an aspie, I can tell that people often have trouble discerning when I'm telling a joke or not. Even people that know me fairly well.
I get more laughs when making observations than when I'm trying to be funny.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

« Reply #60 on: 21 Feb 2017, 17:30 »

Brun baby-sitting ... Samantha? What could possibly go wrong? Other than from the point of view of harpooned snakes and toads.
She seems the sort to find jumping spiders cute, so I don't know about the harpooning of any smell animals.

Baby jumping spider
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #61 on: 21 Feb 2017, 18:54 »

And I like the fact we're catihcing up with the others now that the CW Saga has been kenneled.

Doggone it, mutt you hound us with these dog based puns, it's getting ruff. They're terrier-ing me up inside.

Nah, I'm joking. Dogs and puns are the Corg-key to my heart.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #62 on: 21 Feb 2017, 21:51 »

Jeph is doggedly pursuing the trail of puns. He shepherded a good number of them into this strip. Let's just hope nobody gets catty on that day, or it will be raining blows in the Secret Bakery. Raining cats and dogs, of course...

Doggone it, mutt you hound us with these dog based puns, it's getting ruff. They're terrier-ing me up inside.
Nah, I'm joking. Dogs and puns are the Corg-key to my heart.

I can't figure out how you guys come up with so many canine puns, it's quite a puggle.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #63 on: 21 Feb 2017, 21:56 »

One pun comic and you're all off the leash.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

mikmaxs

« Reply #64 on: 21 Feb 2017, 22:58 »

I'm not sure I get the joke tonight. Like... Okay, he's anthropomorphizing succulents, but since that could have worked without changing the name, I'm really struggling to figure out what else the joke is here. Is it just that 'Spotted puculents' sounds funny? Or...?
Don't mind me.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #65 on: 21 Feb 2017, 23:14 »

I can't figure out how you guys come up with so many canine puns, it's quite a puggle.

What do baby platypuses have to do with this?
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #66 on: 21 Feb 2017, 23:23 »

Not every strip is a winner. You can actually feel Jeph struggling to do anything relevant to the main storyline with Marten and Claire and, at the risk of being accused of back-seat driving, I think that this is the problem. There was no impelling need to have Marten and Claire doing or saying anything associated with the main story thread. There was no real cause to have discussing Bubbles and Faye's situation at all in this strip beyond them expressing empathy for a certain decommissioned combat AI and that could have been sandwiched into a later main thread strip and it was an error to try if nothing flowed smoothly into the overarching concept.

No, this would have worked better if Jeph had just sat back and thought: "What random thing might Marten and Claire doing right now?" and written a stand-alone about it, much as he did yesterday for Brun, Elliott and Renee. It would have come across as far less forced and awkward.

That said, Claire's 'reaction pose' in panel 1 comes across as humorous for some reason. Maybe it's the wholly exaggerated aspect of every part of it.

I'm not sure I get the joke tonight. Like... Okay, he's anthropomorphizing succulents, but since that could have worked without changing the name, I'm really struggling to figure out what else the joke is here. Is it just that 'Spotted puculents' sounds funny? Or...?

Look below the main strip at Jeph's sketch on the Pokémon species he'd created - Spotted Pucculent. I think that, as he was writing the script, he randomly thought: "Spotted Pucculent; yeah that sounds like some kind of weird exotic animal". Once that idea got into his head, he literally couldn't stop himself running with it. I've had that happen to me once or twice whilst writing. The problem is that these things that make you chuckle to yourself are rarely as funny to everyone else as they are to you. :-\

By the way - All will be forgiven if Jeph writes a sub-arc about Marten and Claire trying (and failing) to find something to serve as a house-warming gift for Bubbles. That would be classic QC humour.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2017, 23:42 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Squiddlywinx

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #67 on: 22 Feb 2017, 01:32 »

I mean one or more of them is going to live with Bubbles and it's probably an important thing to establish that everything's cool there.
I don't know if Claire's living with them or not.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #68 on: 22 Feb 2017, 01:57 »

To put my money where my mouth is... Let's see... Fic writer's hat on...

SIX-PANEL FRAME
PANEL 1
Close-up of CLAIRE throwing her pen away against a violent, clashing primary-colour background.

CLAIRE: "I've had ENOUGH!"

PANEL 2
INT: The Apartment
MARTEN and PINTSIZE are looking out of the KITCHEN at CLAIRE, who is on the couch, cradling her head in both hands; there is a pile of manuscripts on the coffee table.

MARTEN: "Claire! What is it?"

PINTSIZE: "Maybe it's that time of the grading cycle again?"

CLAIRE: "No matter how many of these damn things I mark, the Professor dumps more on me! Why did I agree to be a TA? It's driving me crazy!"

PINTSIZE: "Yup! Called it."

PANEL 3
MARTEN is now sitting on the couch with his arm around CLAIRE's shoulders.

MARTEN: "Honey, I know that you feel that you need to be the A-grade, top-average student but none of this is worth it if it makes you miserable!"

CLAIRE: "But... I need to get all the extra credit that I can for this course, Marten! You know how important this is for me!"

PANEL 4
MARTEN has now pulled CLAIRE into a one-armed hug, kissing the top of her head. CLAIRE's eyes are closed and she's obviously enjoying the contact.

MARTEN: "Seriously, Claire, you are born for this! You have so much natural talent and dedication that I don't think you need to worry about extra credit! You're gonna graduate top of the class and, before long, you'll be the stern, unapproachable head librarian that all the students fear but secretly lust for!"

CLAIRE: *Giggles*

PANEL 5
CLAIRE is now straddling MARTEN's lap and grinning at him.

CLAIRE: "Marten, that's a lovely thing to say but is this really your appreciation for me as a librarian talking or one your 'The Strict Head Librarian and Her Shy Administrator' fantasies?"

MARTEN: "There is that, in-Dewey-tably! I'm serious, though, Claire; you're going to do great so long as you don't burn yourself out! You're gonna do this!"

PANEL 6
CLAIRE is kissing MARTEN on the cheek. PINTSIZE is looking on from bottom right of panel with a despondent expression

CLAIRE: "That's so sweet, Marten! I know whose stacks I'm gonna be re-arranging tonight!"

PINTSIZE: "Huh. Looks like I'm going to be book-ing a 'bed' in the closet again tonight!"
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2017, 02:41 by BenRG »
~~~~

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #69 on: 22 Feb 2017, 02:35 »

Yeah....
This one isn't endearing me to Marten/Clair any more than I'm already not.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #70 on: 22 Feb 2017, 03:24 »

Given past speculation by some on how to torture CW best... I'm glad that the worst thing Claire can think of ex tempore is throwing CW in a hole. With SW bugs.

The real issue is - how best to slightly rebalance the universe by doing something kind for Bubbles? How do they show her just how much they care about what has been done to her? And how to make things better, as making good is impossible?
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #71 on: 22 Feb 2017, 04:28 »

Given past speculation by some on how to torture CW best... I'm glad that the worst thing Claire can think of ex tempore is throwing CW in a hole. With SW bugs.

The real issue is - how best to slightly rebalance the universe by doing something kind for Bubbles? How do they show her just how much they care about what has been done to her? And how to make things better, as making good is impossible?

Prepare a better cup of tea for starters. 

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #72 on: 22 Feb 2017, 04:59 »

I looked at panel 1 and thought, "What the hell? Did Claire just have an ear infection burst or something?"
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #73 on: 22 Feb 2017, 05:07 »

My first thought was that "gosh, that's awful" is a chronic underreaction to being shot through the brain.

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #74 on: 22 Feb 2017, 05:07 »

Look below the main strip at Jeph's sketch on the Pokémon species he'd created - Spotted Pucculent. I think that, as he was writing the script, he randomly thought: "Spotted Pucculent; yeah that sounds like some kind of weird exotic animal". Once that idea got into his head, he literally couldn't stop himself running with it. I've had that happen to me once or twice whilst writing. The problem is that these things that make you chuckle to yourself are rarely as funny to everyone else as they are to you. :-\

The hardest part of rewriting is to throw out the scenes you love, love, LOVE, but which you finally have to admit don't do a thing to move the story. And, to be fair, if you're turning in a comic on a daily basis, you might not have time for that internal wrestling match.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #75 on: 22 Feb 2017, 06:14 »

If you liken the story as an adventurous hike through familiar yet scenic terrain then this was at worst a misstep [pebble?] as opposed to stepping in something nasty [recoverable but will stink for a while] or off a cliff [not so recoverable without triage and much flailing about].

I don't think QC has ever suffered the former except by design and the latter is more of a thing from
(click to show/hide)
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #76 on: 22 Feb 2017, 07:58 »

That is exactly the reason why I no longer read any strips from
(click to show/hide)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

mikmaxs

« Reply #77 on: 22 Feb 2017, 12:54 »

By the way - All will be forgiven if Jeph writes a sub-arc about Marten and Claire trying (and failing) to find something to serve as a house-warming gift for Bubbles. That would be classic QC humour.
Either it didn't load on my phone, or that wasn't there when I first read the comic.
I still don't get why 'Spotted Pucculent' is funny, but at least it makes slightly more sense now.

If you liken the story as an adventurous hike through familiar yet scenic terrain then this was at worst a misstep [pebble?] as opposed to stepping in something nasty [recoverable but will stink for a while] or off a cliff [not so recoverable without triage and much flailing about].

I don't think QC has ever suffered the former except by design and the latter is more of a thing from
(click to show/hide)
That is exactly the reason why I no longer read any strips from
(click to show/hide)

What did
(click to show/hide)
do? I mean, yes, he's had some mediocre story arcs, but I don't think any of them (at least, any of them in Dumbing of Age, his older stuff is very hit-and-miss,) have been as bad or pointless as the Creepybot arc.
Don't mind me.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #78 on: 22 Feb 2017, 13:32 »

I am confused and not risking that Google.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #79 on: 22 Feb 2017, 13:49 »

I am confused and not risking that Google.

If you are referring to the what Thrudd and jwhouk have hidden under a spoiler tag it's a webcomic that Jeph Jacques has a link to.  You don't need to google it.   

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #80 on: 22 Feb 2017, 14:01 »

Are we talking about Dave Willis or Voldemort?

Is there a difference?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #81 on: 22 Feb 2017, 14:23 »

It looks like a relative of the Spotted Loyena.  ;D

But will this be the planitng of an idea in Claires brain.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2017, 14:30 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #82 on: 22 Feb 2017, 14:34 »

It's a character mement for Marten and Claire ... the nonsense wordplay that is their lurv language.

It's also the basis for improv comedy: No matter what your partner (or heckler) says, run with it. Build on it. Comic 1: "Doctor, you have to help me! My wooden leg has termites!" Comic 2: "OK, sit down and we'll have a look." (Cheap chair collapses under Comic 1.) Comic 2: "Good God, it's contagious!"

As the conductor says in a loud aside to the orchestra while theoretically talking to the audience: "No matter what happens, keep playing."
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #83 on: 22 Feb 2017, 16:08 »

To put my money where my mouth is... Let's see... Fic writer's hat on...

SIX-PANEL FRAME
PANEL 1
Close-up of CLAIRE throwing her pen away against a violent, clashing primary-colour background.

CLAIRE: "I've had ENOUGH!"

PANEL 2
INT: The Apartment
MARTEN and PINTSIZE are looking out of the KITCHEN at CLAIRE, who is on the couch, cradling her head in both hands; there is a pile of manuscripts on the coffee table.

MARTEN: "Claire! What is it?"

PINTSIZE: "Maybe it's that time of the grading cycle again?"

CLAIRE: "No matter how many of these damn things I mark, the Professor dumps more on me! Why did I agree to be a TA? It's driving me crazy!"

PINTSIZE: "Yup! Called it."

PANEL 3
MARTEN is now sitting on the couch with his arm around CLAIRE's shoulders.

MARTEN: "Honey, I know that you feel that you need to be the A-grade, top-average student but none of this is worth it if it makes you miserable!"

CLAIRE: "But... I need to get all the extra credit that I can for this course, Marten! You know how important this is for me!"

PANEL 4
MARTEN has now pulled CLAIRE into a one-armed hug, kissing the top of her head. CLAIRE's eyes are closed and she's obviously enjoying the contact.

MARTEN: "Seriously, Claire, you are born for this! You have so much natural talent and dedication that I don't think you need to worry about extra credit! You're gonna graduate top of the class and, before long, you'll be the stern, unapproachable head librarian that all the students fear but secretly lust for!"

CLAIRE: *Giggles*

PANEL 5
CLAIRE is now straddling MARTEN's lap and grinning at him.

CLAIRE: "Marten, that's a lovely thing to say but is this really your appreciation for me as a librarian talking or one your 'The Strict Head Librarian and Her Shy Administrator' fantasies?"

MARTEN: "There is that, in-Dewey-tably! I'm serious, though, Claire; you're going to do great so long as you don't burn yourself out! You're gonna do this!"

PANEL 6
CLAIRE is kissing MARTEN on the cheek. PINTSIZE is looking on from bottom right of panel with a despondent expression

CLAIRE: "That's so sweet, Marten! I know whose stacks I'm gonna be re-arranging tonight!"

PINTSIZE: "Huh. Looks like I'm going to be book-ing a 'bed' in the closet again tonight!"
This is the best post you've ever made.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Socky

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #84 on: 22 Feb 2017, 19:00 »

"Whenever Poochie's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking 'Where's Poochie'?"

I'm so done with the robuts

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #85 on: 22 Feb 2017, 19:03 »

I hate the way everybody's bagging on this story.  It was a good story, damnit.

I know three or four combat vets, and they ALL liked the way Bubbles was portrayed.  Jeph showed real understanding, in an understated way.

Y'all maybe hate Spookybot.  But you know what?  That's okay, you didn't have to like him.  Or her.  Or whatever.  You weren't even expected to like them. Spookybot represents a real thing that our world is going to have to deal with.  'Cos there is no way AI is stopping at human-level intelligence, whether you think that makes for an overpowered Deus sex machina character  or not.  Spookybot (or Gary, if that's who they really are) turns out to be "Friendly" in a lot of the ways that matter (at least isn't deciding that they have a better use for all our organic molecules), and that allows the QC universe to keep turning. 

It's just a little bit contrived to have Spookybot taking an interest in small fish like Bubbles and Corpse Witch.  But it's a bit more plausible if we take for granted that Spookybot is listening in on Station's calls and monitoring the guy who invented AI in the first place.  This is probably the most heinous act ever heard on those channels, and taking a personal interest in something that is at least that remarkable isn't all that implausible.  And then there's that whole 'sanctity of mind' thing - which makes perfect sense for someone/something who is utterly defined by mental abilities alone.

In short, yes Spookybot is OP - it could crush the whole world.  That's real, and sort of inevitable, so deal with it.  But Jeph is showing us that his world is capable of existing, because Spookybot/Gary is someone who chooses not to do that.  Because if the Ultimate Power we will eventually create isn't at least as inclined to let people get along and see what happens, then the world as we understand it will no longer exist.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #86 on: 22 Feb 2017, 19:20 »

In other news, now I want to adopt a spotted pucculent.  They are so cute!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #87 on: 22 Feb 2017, 19:24 »

Bear in mind as well that in-universe, the AIbino is designed to be intimidating and to induce that feeling of unease. They are meant to tap into that part of the brain that makes humans go "oh shit" in that really tiny voice.

That the AIbino produces a near similar reaction on the forum should be a testament that Jeph has designed a quite good character.

As for this arc, I liked it, but not for the reason you think. I liked it because it was a callback to some of the darker stories in QC history; the Talk, Marten and Dora's breakup, Faye's drinking and hospitalisation. I think QC needs these darker stories once in a while, just to counter some of the, shall we say, sillier stories or the ones that are just a little too romantic. To be the salt that cuts the sugar, so to speak.

Look, at the end of the day, Jeph has tried to tell a different kind of story, and it hasn't quite worked out in some aspects. But he has tried. He's tried to do something different, a kind of story we haven't seen before. And that should be celebrated, because we're in the 14th year of Questionable Content, we're just a few weeks away from the 3500th comic. In terms of duration and volume of content, that's huge. Other comics, it could have been very easy to fall into a tired, boring rut. As it is, we got something different, there's someone trying new things to keep his job fresh.

So maybe, just maybe, people shouldn't be crapping over this arc like they have over the last couple of weeks.

Also, every time I read spotted pucculent, I think of some sort of vegetable like a courgette.

Squiddlywinx

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #88 on: 22 Feb 2017, 19:29 »

How do the forum rules apply to shipping Marten and Claire?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #89 on: 22 Feb 2017, 19:45 »

I'm not quite sure what the official stance is on shipping in the forum, but I believe this should give you an indication.

But generally, people don't really ship on the forum, or at the very least, there's no crack shipping. Its one of those topics that can become very divisive very quickly, or it can creep some people out.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #90 on: 22 Feb 2017, 19:55 »

I hate the way everybody's bagging on this story.  It was a good story, damnit.

I know three or four combat vets, and they ALL liked the way Bubbles was portrayed.  Jeph showed real understanding, in an understated way.

Y'all maybe hate Spookybot.  But you know what?  That's okay, you didn't have to like him.  Or her.  Or whatever.  You weren't even expected to like them. Spookybot represents a real thing that our world is going to have to deal with.  'Cos there is no way AI is stopping at human-level intelligence, whether you think that makes for an overpowered Deus sex machina character  or not.  Spookybot (or Gary, if that's who they really are) turns out to be "Friendly" in a lot of the ways that matter (at least isn't deciding that they have a better use for all our organic molecules), and that allows the QC universe to keep turning. 

It's just a little bit contrived to have Spookybot taking an interest in small fish like Bubbles and Corpse Witch.  But it's a bit more plausible if we take for granted that Spookybot is listening in on Station's calls and monitoring the guy who invented AI in the first place.  This is probably the most heinous act ever heard on those channels, and taking a personal interest in something that is at least that remarkable isn't all that implausible.  And then there's that whole 'sanctity of mind' thing - which makes perfect sense for someone/something who is utterly defined by mental abilities alone.

In short, yes Spookybot is OP - it could crush the whole world.  That's real, and sort of inevitable, so deal with it.  But Jeph is showing us that his world is capable of existing, because Spookybot/Gary is someone who chooses not to do that.  Because if the Ultimate Power we will eventually create isn't at least as inclined to let people get along and see what happens, then the world as we understand it will no longer exist.

I did bag the story. A bit. Its resolution, anyway.

But not because of the portrayal of Bubbles. That has been great.
Nor because I thought Spookybot's interest in the world is contrived. It's not especially.
Nor because Spookybot is OP as such, although I think it is hard to write an omnipotent character and keep the story interesting.

So none of that changed my mind. I dig that you liked the story, though.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #91 on: 22 Feb 2017, 20:05 »

Generally, if it's justified in canon and you're not creepy about it, it's ok. Marten and Claire are in a serious relationship, so...go for it?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #92 on: 22 Feb 2017, 20:13 »

Hanners is usually pretty good at that. I'm too lazy to look it up, but give peas a chance.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #93 on: 22 Feb 2017, 20:15 »

COMIC

Puns are indeed just like Lego. They're great fun until you step on one in bare feet. Also, I sometimes can't find the right piece.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #94 on: 22 Feb 2017, 20:40 »

I stepped on a pun in bear feet, but the bear malled me while I was out shoo shopping for a fly swatter.  :clairedoge:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #95 on: 22 Feb 2017, 21:03 »

The comments suddenly stopped making sense, so I needed to click 'Previous'.

Jeph can redeem himself in my eyes by having Emily interpret the Agismaze QSE encryption algorithm as a knitting pattern.

Also Magical Space Pixies. I feel for Elliot. He was totally ninja'd by Hannelore

« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2017, 21:16 by Perfectly Reasonable »
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #96 on: 22 Feb 2017, 22:08 »

Just don't get explicit and creepy, and people won't be creeped out. It's very clear now that Marten and Claire have given consent, so it's not like shipping Harry and Draco.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #97 on: 22 Feb 2017, 23:26 »

Don't worry too much about it, Elliott! Hannelore isn't a rival; if anything it's great to see Brun making many new friends. That said, I'm thinking that there is a real possibility of Brun imprinting on Hanners as her new guide through life. To me, panel 5 in today's comic is pure and simple: "Sempai! Teach me how to be as great as you!"

Meanwhile... Yeah, this seems to be something about the more recent female Coffee of Doom employees: Magical powers of one sort of another. Emily has them too!
~~~~

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #98 on: 23 Feb 2017, 00:36 »

What do you even mean by shipping when the characters are already in a canon sexual relationship?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Bollthorn

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #99 on: 23 Feb 2017, 00:45 »

Hannelore is the CUTEST lil' space pixie!! ^.^
"Oh Eddie... Why are you an alcoholic?"

"... Because I drink a lot."
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up