• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So what's on tap for this week?

Hanners Hijinks at COD!
The New RoboWars Fight Club begins!
Faye has a crisis of conscience - or something.
Marigold and Dale are disappointed over no butts nor swords.
Puns Fly around the Secret Bakery!
...Elliott doesn't get any of them.
Fat Elvis Special: Peanut butter, spathe ham and bananas!
Purple Monkey Dishwashers and Roko Basiliks!
Something Completely Different.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3426-3430 (27 February - 3 March 2017)  (Read 51269 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Here's your WCDT.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
Re: WCDT Strips 3426-3430 (27 February - 3 March 2017)
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2017, 18:29 »

So apparently Roko is so pathologically un-subtle that innocent small talk ends up with someone calling a lawyer. How did she get the job?
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2017, 18:56 »

Deadpan Hanners is dead-on funny Hanners.   :laugh:
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2017, 21:25 by pendrake »

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2017, 18:56 »

I've never known officers to be that subtle. And I say that as a person who's friends with some.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2017, 19:17 »

One of the few times we see Hanners apparently channeling a degree of her mother. You have to think that's where she was taught the knowledge to immediately clam up and ask for a lawyer when something potentially incriminating comes around.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2017, 19:27 »

Hanners is the first character in the comic to lawyer up with Roko. Smart gal. Faye and Bubbles should be glad they aren't in the slammer.

I have to wonder about what Jeph is up to bringing Roko back after that storyline ended. Will this comic add "Wacky AI Police Procedural" to its genre list? (We already have "Slacker Soap Opera," "Fun with Robots," "Slackers in Orbit," "Rom-Com with Dom Mom," "Alcohol Dependency Drama," "AI Fight Club," and "Revenge of the Deux Ex Machina," plus others I've probably forgotten.)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2017, 19:41 »

Hanners is the first character in the comic to lawyer up with Roko. Smart gal. Faye and Bubbles should be glad they aren't in the slammer.

I have to wonder about what Jeph is up to bringing Roko back after that storyline ended. Will this comic add "Wacky AI Police Procedural" to its genre list? (We already have "Slacker Soap Opera," "Fun with Robots," "Slackers in Orbit," "Rom-Com with Dom Mom," "Alcohol Dependency Drama," "AI Fight Club," and "Revenge of the Deux Ex Machina," plus others I've probably forgotten.)

Holy Deconstruction Batman!
Just another Joe like 46

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2017, 20:40 »

"Rom-Com with Dom Mom,"

*LOL*

Best description of that subplot yet....

:-D

TheEvilDog

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2017, 20:54 »

So apparently Roko is so pathologically un-subtle that innocent small talk ends up with someone calling a lawyer. How did she get the job?

It used to be that you would have to collect six tokens from cereal boxes and then send them to the police department and they would send you a nice shiny badge, viola, you're now a police officer.

Now you have to feature in a Police Academy movie. *Shudders*

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2017, 21:23 »

I was reminded of this passage.

“I’m a private detective.”
“Oh?” said Kate in surprise, and then looked puzzled.
“Does that bother you?”
“It’s just that I have a friend who plays the double bass.”
“I see,” said Dirk.
“Whenever people meet him and he’s struggling around with it, they all say the same thing, and it drives him crazy. They all say, ‘I bet you wished you played the piccolo.’ Nobody ever works out that that’s what everybody else says. I was just trying to work out if there was something that everybody would always say to a private detective so that I could avoid saying it.”
“No. What happens is that everybody looks very shifty for a moment, and you got that very well.”

So, what am I saying? As a double bass player, I will leap to Roko's defense and suggest that she probably didn't provoke that reaction because she is "pathologically un-subtle."
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2017, 23:24 »

I might be massively over-interpreting today's strip but I wonder if Jeph is planning to ring in some changes and explore some of what an AI's life is like through the eyes of Roko Basilisk. It must be tough being a cop, as Hannelore unintentionally proves in today's strip. Being an AI (therefore likely having perfect recall and being perceived as being an inflexible law-enforcement machine) can only make a difficult job more difficult.

Yeah, and then there's the issue all cops have where people interpret small talk as an investigation! :-P

I'm trying to work out what Roko's nervous smile in panel 2 might mean. She's definitely seen Bubbles' chair but it's hard to tell what she's thinking. I suspect that she's nervous about being in a place where someone who, just very recently was a suspect, is clearly a valued customer and maybe even a friend.

On second thoughts; she's reacting in disbelief about 'unicorns'. It's definitely that. I mean, Roko always sees kitsunes when she sniffs tea!

Oh, BTW, unless the AI have their own police organisation, Roko's badge should look something like this:

~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2017, 23:28 »

One also wonders what she's HEARD about COD, the passive aggressive insult coffee shop. Could be understandably wary....

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2017, 01:53 »

I think that Hannelore has suddenly realised that hallucinogenic tea could technically be viewed as an illegal substance or at least potentially so. Is this an idle inquiry or is this a vice bust?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2017, 01:59 »

The slight smirk of officer Baselisk in panel 2 has me grinning; somehow the humour of a giant battle-bot sniffing tea and seeing unicorns in her spare time hit me hard this time.

As for:
"Rom-Com with Dom Mom,"
*LOL*

Should be an easy pitch to the tv networks; I'd watch that... (and probably be deeply disappointed by the watered down clean version they would make of it).

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2017, 03:50 »

I have to wonder about what Jeph is up to bringing Roko back after that storyline ended.
She wants tea.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #15 on: 27 Feb 2017, 04:41 »

I think that Hannelore has suddenly realised that hallucinogenic tea could technically be viewed as an illegal substance or at least potentially so. Is this an idle inquiry or is this a vice bust?

I don't think she'd make that mistake since she seems well versed in legalese even if she isn't a lawyer.  I think she's doing this protect Bubbles in case the police aren't just satisfied in taking down Corpse Witch. 

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #16 on: 27 Feb 2017, 04:43 »

Panel 2 is mirrored.

Panel 1,3,4 the cash register is on Hanners left, Ritko on her right.

Rather than redraw, just mirror. - and correct Bubbles Chair sign - then insert dialogue again.

Or keep and mirror the rest, depending on layout of the Cafe of Doom. I think that might be needed.

The expressions though are priceless.

Ritko might possibly have just been given a clue regarding the identity of the AI tea afficionado by the large combat android sized armchair marked "Bubbles Chair" in the corner. They teach that stuff, obsevation and deduction, in detective school, so I'm told.

Which also means she quite genuinely may have been trying to make conversation, even though on duty and wearing her badge. Tea aroma as opposed to donuts.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #17 on: 27 Feb 2017, 06:08 »

DOLT WARNING!

I have only just realised that Roko is also an AI !
Her skin tone just never registered until this strip!

I mean... "Wha'...?"
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2017, 02:08 by JoeCovenant »
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #18 on: 27 Feb 2017, 06:21 »

Given that tea is legal for humans, the default assumption is that it'd be legal for AIs. I'm assuming from Momo's stance on "AI Civil Rights" that there's a presumption that humans and AIs get equal treatment before the law, so even if a statute were passed outlawing tea for AIs, it'd be vulnerable to constitutional challenge on equal protection grounds. To defend it, the government would have to show a valid interest in stopping AIs from sniffing tea, as in you'd need instances of either AIs or humans being harmed by it. From what we've seen, there would be no such instances.

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #19 on: 27 Feb 2017, 07:14 »

Panel 2 is mirrored.

The viewpoint of panel 2 is just different, in panel 2 we are are on Hanners side of the counter, looking at the shop, and Hanelore has turned and moved bit. In all other panels we are on the other side, like customers.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #20 on: 27 Feb 2017, 09:32 »

One Orbital Lawyer Strike for the officer with the broken social interaction module ... !

« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2017, 13:26 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #21 on: 27 Feb 2017, 09:40 »

Given that tea is legal for humans, the default assumption is that it'd be legal for AIs.

Depends on what's in the tea. Suppose cats become more sentient, and one would serve catnip tea. It might be illegal to serve to cats as they would observe the effects, but would be fine to humans. Or at least it would mean that cats can't drive afterwards.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #22 on: 27 Feb 2017, 12:04 »

Given that tea is legal for humans, the default assumption is that it'd be legal for AIs.

The legality of teas and tisanes very much depends on what plants (or which fungi) they're made from.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #23 on: 27 Feb 2017, 12:57 »

The legality of teas and tisanes very much depends on what plants (or which fungi) they're made from.

Given the fact that Coffee of Doom is selling tea alongside its coffee, that tells me that, simply by applying Occam's Razor, the tea supplied is totally above board.

The problem here is that people are assuming that what Bubbles is seeing is the same as a human hallucination. However, with an AI its more like a mass spectrometer. Some sensor is detecting the particles from the tea, analysing it and interpreting that information in a unique manner. Bear in mind the man who invented AI, Hannerdad is not the most conventional of people and instead of some cold analytical printout, we see a whimsical interpretation of that information.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #24 on: 27 Feb 2017, 13:25 »

Depends on what's in the tea. Suppose cats become more sentient, and one would serve catnip tea. It might be illegal to serve to cats as they would observe the effects, but would be fine to humans. Or at least it would mean that cats can't drive afterwards.

Should cats ever gain sapience ('sentience' is "the ability to feel, perceive or experience subjectively" - as far as we know, cats already have that faculty), the intoxication level of our murderous sociopathic furry friends would be the least of our worries.

I like cats at least as much as the next guy (suggestive pointing @ avatar) - but methinks that one brand of weaponized self-replicating cognitive routines is more than enough for this little planet of ours, no?

(Not the least because it's pretty obvious what would happen once sapient cats inevitably arrive at the same conclusion ... "You provide-food, will-not-become food. Be good-human-friendlypliable, not plaything-preything. Petting will-commence-now. Purr! Purr!")
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2017, 14:25 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #25 on: 27 Feb 2017, 13:42 »

Given that tea is legal for humans, the default assumption is that it'd be legal for AIs. I'm assuming from Momo's stance on "AI Civil Rights" that there's a presumption that humans and AIs get equal treatment before the law, so even if a statute were passed outlawing tea for AIs, it'd be vulnerable to constitutional challenge on equal protection grounds. To defend it, the government would have to show a valid interest in stopping AIs from sniffing tea, as in you'd need instances of either AIs or humans being harmed by it. From what we've seen, there would be no such instances.

That and tea manufacturers have the kind of lobbying power to keep their product legal so even if some misguided social crusader tried to ban tea because of hallucinogenic effects on AIs the people at Lipton would kill that bill in Congress. 

TheEvilDog

« Reply #26 on: 27 Feb 2017, 14:04 »

That and tea manufacturers have the kind of lobbying power to keep their product legal so even if some misguided social crusader tried to ban tea because of hallucinogenic effects on AIs the people at Lipton would kill that bill in Congress.

You can't stop Big Tea. Ever.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 27 Feb 2017, 14:46 »

Poor Roko, all she wants is Tea and a decent conversation.

The lonly life of a Police AI

Three weeks later- Hanners:  "I think we just adopted another one."
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #28 on: 27 Feb 2017, 15:12 »

Poor Roko, all she wants is Tea and a decent conversation.

The lonly life of a Police AI

Three weeks later- Hanners:  "I think we just adopted another one."

That's just it, isn't it? Bubbles and Roko are sides of the same coin, one not particularly liked by the wider AI community. Bubbles is looked down upon because she was an AI that decided to volunteer and serve in the military, something that AI like Momo believe that no AI should be doing. At the same time, Roko is an AI policing the AI community, she's a visible reminder that there are criminal AI, that drag down the name of the AI community.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #29 on: 27 Feb 2017, 15:21 »

"Rom-Com with Dom Mom,"

I bet Jeph wishes he'd thought of that one.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #30 on: 27 Feb 2017, 15:49 »

"Rom-Com with Dom Mom,"

I bet Jeph wishes he'd thought of that one.
I'd prefer a dot-com sitcom,  in a hip hop chip shop. #HMHB

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #31 on: 27 Feb 2017, 17:28 »

The slight smirk of officer Baselisk in panel 2 has me grinning; somehow the humour of a giant battle-bot sniffing tea and seeing unicorns in her spare time hit me hard this time.

As for:
"Rom-Com with Dom Mom,"
*LOL*

Should be an easy pitch to the tv networks; I'd watch that... (and probably be deeply disappointed by the watered down clean version they would make of it).
Just pitch it to HBO and don't let anybody who worked on 50 Shades of Grey or its sequel get involved.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #32 on: 27 Feb 2017, 18:20 »

Well, looks like Roko got sent to Uniporn Grove.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #33 on: 27 Feb 2017, 18:21 »

YES.......UNICORNS.....YES!!!!!!!!!

Sniff, sniff.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #34 on: 27 Feb 2017, 18:26 »

I think I'm more perplexed by Hannelore's expression than what Officer Basilisk saw.

dreed

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #35 on: 27 Feb 2017, 18:45 »

I think I'm more perplexed by Hannelore's expression than what Officer Basilisk saw.
Her mother trained her well. 

Don't talk to police. request lawyer immediately.  don't show any emotion. don't say anything. 

those two strips are hilarious!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #36 on: 27 Feb 2017, 19:09 »

I think I'm...I'm a little bit disappointed in Hanners tonight.... :-\

All she's probably heard about Roko comes from Faye and Bubbles, so its probably a one-sided picture, but still Hanners could have given Roko the benefit of the doubt, especially considering she's just let her friends slide on several crimes.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #37 on: 27 Feb 2017, 19:21 »

Yeah, me too. Really out of character. Yesterday's was a surprised reaction, but sustaining? The tea may be hot, but that was cold.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #38 on: 27 Feb 2017, 19:36 »

From this and the Roko's Day Off sketches you really get the impression that Officer B is pretty lonely.

Edit: And is this shady unicorn a Homestuck reference?  :psyduck:
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #39 on: 27 Feb 2017, 19:47 »

I just got weirded out by Hanner's eyes. No outline, only the whites and the greens seemingly glowing, like she suddenly turned into Robo-Hanners.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #40 on: 27 Feb 2017, 19:48 »

Why does Detective Basilisk have chemosensors that respond to tea?

In the case of Bubbles we know her body was built to detect NBC weapons and probably explosives as well. The tannins in tea are usually thought of as harmless, but don't forget the song "Oh tannin bomb".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #41 on: 27 Feb 2017, 19:58 »

I'm still going with the theory that military and police grade AI chassis have a mass spectrometer built-in. In the case of the police - detecting trace evidence, toxicology and arson would be the ones off the top of my head.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #42 on: 27 Feb 2017, 20:09 »

I did not expect that.

As to why humanoid anthro pcs have olfactory sensors... If you were hanging around humans all the time and trying to get along with them, wouldn't it be important to know when you stink?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #43 on: 27 Feb 2017, 20:34 »

I don't see anything indicating that her chassis is custom or "police grade" in any way.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #44 on: 27 Feb 2017, 20:38 »

All she's probably heard about Roko comes from Faye and Bubbles, so its probably a one-sided picture, but still Hanners could have given Roko the benefit of the doubt, especially considering she's just let her friends slide on several crimes.

Uhhh....ok. If we're gonna go down that mental track, how can Hannelore be blamed? Knowing what she knows about Faye and Bubbles(and what they've been up to), and considering THEY are her friends, why would she speak to a cop, ANY cop about them? ~_^

It seems like a lot of people are blaming her for not just using some random mind reading powers on Officer Basilisk, going "O! Ok, officer. Your intentions are on the level. Let's be friends."

In her situation, an Officer comes in asking her about Bubbles. She doesn't know where such a conversation will lead or if something can accidently slip that can be used against Faye or Bubble. So, she did the only thing she can to protect her friends until she can get confirmation from them that Basi, is on the up and up. If that means freezing out an unknown entity, for now. So, be it! Remember, folks: She doesn't have all the info that we the readers have.

/sigh...idk, seems a bit odd to me to expect anything else from her other than the safest, most prudent action available to her right now.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #45 on: 27 Feb 2017, 21:05 »

I'm sure as heck not.  That is *EXACTLY* the way you handle a police officer asking questions whose answers bear on any of your friends.   Go Hanners!  This is either a case of incredibly good instincts, or she has received specific warnings/lessons and paid attention to them.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #46 on: 27 Feb 2017, 21:11 »

I don't see anything indicating that her chassis is custom or "police grade" in any way.
Remember when Pintsize said that if you can think of a build, there's probably at least one AI that wants one?

Also, a sense of smell would be important for being a cop. It could be an upgrade suite.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

imaginaryideals

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #47 on: 27 Feb 2017, 21:18 »

(click to show/hide)

The resemblance is striking.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #48 on: 27 Feb 2017, 21:27 »

Going by Bubbles tea sessions, I wouldn't consider it a drug since she is basically dreaming/meditating and can be jarred into "sobriety" just like an organic person who was snoozing.

Now, sour milk for the Newcomers in Alien Nation, that would be something to debate regulation, since they genuinely became intoxicated.

I'm still going with the theory that military and police grade AI chassis have a mass spectrometer built-in. In the case of the police - detecting trace evidence, toxicology and arson would be the ones off the top of my head.

Partner: "Hey, Roko, is this cocaine or powdered sugar?"
*sniff*
Roko: "Baking soda"
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #49 on: 27 Feb 2017, 21:55 »

Honestly, I don't disagree with Hannelore's behavior on this one. Maybe she was just trying to make conversation, but there are many instances of cops having a 'casual conversation' actually looking for information. And multiple instances have shown that talking to a cop, even if you've done nothing wrong, is always a risk.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up