THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New lately to the board but old to the genre  (Read 11178 times)

DuneCanid

• Larger than most fish
  • MAGA Making America Greater, Always
New lately to the board but old to the genre
« on: 05 Mar 2017, 09:45 »

55, at this posting. White divorced male.
Member ARRL (General class Ham licenseee), NRA.
Reagen Republican.
Served in the Army under Reagen, in fact.

Dreadfully prone to speak my mind, plainly, and with heat if needful.

DC, l5ls.
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2017, 00:58 by DuneCanid »

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
Re: New lately to the board but old to the genre
« Reply #1 on: 05 Mar 2017, 13:01 »

Welcome to the Asylum!

Read the rules, mind the Gap, and above all:

Guard your Lugwrench!
« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2017, 13:09 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 05 Mar 2017, 14:15 »

Greetings!!!

*Melts your Lug Wrench*

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #3 on: 07 Mar 2017, 12:28 »

What's with l5ls ?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 08 Mar 2017, 15:58 »

I do believe that Pilchard meant it's meaning as it appears to be your signature.
James The Kugai 

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #5 on: 08 Mar 2017, 18:50 »

So l5ls is just "liberals"?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #6 on: 08 Mar 2017, 18:56 »

Ah. A Conservative. Nice to have some fair-and-balanced on these boards, to get away from the echo effect and all.

And I finally figured out that it was "Liberals" that you were self-censoring. Nice.

By the way, I'm from Wisconsin. Got family in Ripon. Grandma had her second wedding reception at the Republican House way back in the 1970's.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #7 on: 09 Mar 2017, 01:05 »

So "l5ls" is "liberals", just as "i18n" has for a long time been "internationalisation" (in computing contexts, at least); though the purpose here seems to be obfuscation rather than abbreviation. 

However, that still leaves me completely blank as to the meaning of having a line at the end of your post containing "DC, l5ls".  I think of the purpose of language being communication; but this communicates nothing whatsoever to me, and so seems pointless.

(Urban Dictionary suggests to me that DC here means "Don't Care", which implies that you are rejecting any discussion before it happens - I hope that's not the intended impression.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #8 on: 09 Mar 2017, 03:28 »

Did kugai call in both you and MoM on me? A shame... overkill if it had worked. And it didn't.

Eh?

I am simply trying to understand what I presume is meant to be a form of communication which you feel is worth putting at the end of every post.  At least I can now see that the "DC" is simply signing your post (as indeed I used to put "Paul" at the end of mine).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #9 on: 09 Mar 2017, 11:28 »

Nobody called me in. I was simply curious, like others, what l5l meant. I did some digging that brought me here and now I know. I was only trying to confirm. You are not making a good start here.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 09 Mar 2017, 11:41 »

Word of advice old son, pissing of the Mods and Admins here is hazardous to your health.

James The Kugai 

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #11 on: 09 Mar 2017, 14:39 »

While old, I am not your son.

Not that old either in this community!

So far as I can tell, I haven't crossed up any of the rules.

You have not; puzzling people is not against the rules.  But inquisitive people are bound to ask, and may be somewhat persistent!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #12 on: 09 Mar 2017, 16:32 »

I wonder if there's a bit of culture clash here. This is a small forum and mods are fairly involved in most threads. Our presence doesn't mean a rule has been broken or skirted. We're not like some larger forums where the mod team only show up to discipline and I think almost the entire team now were regular members first. Not founders or brought in like some forums, so there's not a constant status difference. If we're talking to someone in a mod or admin voice, we'll make it clear. Otherwise we're chatting casually by default.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #13 on: 09 Mar 2017, 21:04 »

Honestly, until you mentioned that, I couldn't fathom why DC thought our presence here was supposed to be perceived as threatening. Thanks for the insight.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #14 on: 10 Mar 2017, 10:57 »

"Liberals", eh? Well, it's certainly an unusual signature. Does it not cause trouble? A lot of effort to type it out each time, too - why not just use the forum's sig block?

I'm going to be nosier still. Is your name anything to do with Rommel, or operations in Iraq, or am I way off-target? A fennec fox avatar and a name like DuneCanid suggests "Desert Fox".

E: Punctuation changes.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2017, 13:13 by Pilchard123 »
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 10 Mar 2017, 13:00 »

I suppose it depends on your definition of 'Liberal'.   Labels can be deceptive and I've never really considered myself as a 'Liberal', nor a 'Conservative' by the definition of the meaning of the tags.  If I was to really stick a label on myself, I probably consider myself 'Middle of the Road'.

Everybodys different, and one mans 'Liberal' might be considered anothers 'Conservative' in some contexts.
James The Kugai 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #16 on: 10 Mar 2017, 19:17 »

>If we're talking to someone in a mod or admin voice, we'll make it clear.

For instance,
Administrator Comment Everyone willing to be respectful and civil and welcome others in turn is welcome here. The mix here has wound up pretty left-wing but that's just something that happened. The administrators and the most persuasive of the long-term members are unanimous and emphatic that we don't want an echo chamber (the suggestion has been made!). If the moderation team has to work harder to keep the peace because of a politically mixed population, well, that is what we're here for.

Besides, personally, I'm inclined to welcome anyone who quotes RAH about acceptance of AIs.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DuneCanid

• Larger than most fish
  • MAGA Making America Greater, Always
« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2017, 19:02 »

I suppose it depends on your definition of 'Liberal'.   Labels can be deceptive and I've never really considered myself as a 'Liberal', nor a 'Conservative' by the definition of the meaning of the tags.  If I was to really stick a label on myself, I probably consider myself 'Middle of the Road'.

Everybodys different, and one mans 'Liberal' might be considered anothers 'Conservative' in some contexts.

Blond genug....

For your location, I'd call it a liberal that wants to see David Gray sainted for his actions in regard to gun laws.

My store gets a lot of tourists (Well, Vegas...tourists.... ehh) and in the Wal-Mart I work in, well, I'm the guy that knows about and sells guns. I talk to our tourist customers... and at my back is a triple locked case with three dozen long guns in it, and many foreign tourists are amazed at it. So I've known about Gray for about... mmm, seven years now.

I don't know if it is a lesser liberal that goes about knocking over Anzac Day flowers and tripping old folks, or just plain viciousness.

I envy those places that are still showing reverence for those that gave there all. Even in my Army days, back when it was still the Soviet Union, one had to admire the old men that wore their Great Patriotic War decorations on their clothes. They still do... but there are far, far, fewer and they are much older. You lot, and Oz, and Canada, and Israel.

Us? Memorial Day got turned into a bleeding Monday holiday.

I am not well constructed for prayer, and I am not all that sure it would be welcome in this echo chamber. Probably get me hacked, if not already. If we fall, it will be from within, and hopefully the sparks like your country and some others see the fall and take note.

A bit disjointed... had a nap, and the damnedest thing... a nightmare. No, there's not a drop in the house.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #18 on: 15 Mar 2017, 19:02 »

We're of similar vintage. I did stuff in subs in the 80s and 90s. Made a hole in Die Mauer. 10 yrs old when the Eagle landed.

I'm Australian though. Enough cultural similarities so when we come to a difference, the impact can be jarring.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "
Pages: [1]   Go Up