• 28 Mar 2024, 16:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are you expecting this week?

A discussion of the resale value of human limbs
A quick jump to the hospital to maintain a PG-13 rating whilst still having a traumatic amputation
A panic-stricken Dora and Hanners wrestling the Sword away from Brun
Brun saying: "This is a joke. Ha-ha."
Officer Basalisk complaining to Jeremy about everyone being suspicious of her.
Bubbles and "Small Friend" (Claire) interaction.
A recap of recent events by Faye at the support group entitled: "Why I still want to drink"
May and Pintsize discussing the aesthetics of synthetic ingestion.
Steve telling Cossette about his past life as a super-spy (she doesn't believe him, of course).
Other (please specify in comment)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3431-3435 (6th to 10th March 2017)  (Read 33918 times)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
Re: WCDT Strips 3431-3435 (6th to 10th March 2017)
« Reply #50 on: 08 Mar 2017, 04:25 »

It's not static electricity, Brun's going Super Saiyan.

Why?  An appraiser didn't just tell her the clock is a replica that actually costs $1. 

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #51 on: 08 Mar 2017, 04:39 »

I'm Mr High-Electrostatic Skin. I was prohibited from entering the workshop at a computer repair shop where I used to work because just being around me could cause delicate chips to freak out and EPROMs to spontaneously wipe themselves. Walking around on thick carpet can be interesting for me, especially if there are metal fittings on earthed furniture. Once, I actually managed to flash-discharge the battery on a portable 'phone. So, yeah, I empathise with Brun's pain here.

Anyway, this will go one of two ways:
  • Elliott and Brun will get to talking about why he wants to pat Brun's head and they'll end up going on a date together;
  • Brun will declare 'mission accomplished' and walk off, never quite getting what was behind Elliott's odd request.
FWIW, I'm beginning to feel that Brun has worked out that Elliott is attracted to her but she's just uncertain about how best to respond. I also think that she feels somewhat restrained from doing so too openly because Renee has made it quite plain that she is not happy with Elliott being interested in Brun and Brun doesn't want to offend her. However, she might feel that making Elliott feel better is more important.
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2017, 05:06 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #52 on: 08 Mar 2017, 05:09 »

I'm Mr High-Electrostatic Skin. I was prohibited from entering the workshop at a computer repair shop where I used to work because just being around me could cause delicate chips to freak out and EPROMs to spontaneously wipe themselves. Walking around on thick carpet can be interesting for me, especially if there are metal fittings on earthed furniture. Once, I actually managed to flash-discharge the battery on a portable 'phone. So, yeah, I empathise with Brun's pain here.

Damn! And I thought I had it bad with static electricity!

Though, I have set off anti-theft scanners (while also getting shocked by them) at Walmart. I've also had ~30cm (~1ft) static arc from a time clock at work once (the ones where you swipe your badge like a credit card). The manager who saw it freaked out. Those are easily the weirdest and the worst ones I've had.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #53 on: 08 Mar 2017, 08:01 »

Elliot would make such a terrible poker player, he can't hide his emotions for anything. The best reaction to a jibe like Renee's is to act like it means nothing to you, otherwise the person making the jibe is liable to keep poking at you with it. Telling them to "quit it" rarely works, as that also shows that you were bothered by what they said.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

TheEvilDog

« Reply #54 on: 08 Mar 2017, 09:13 »

Elliot would make such a terrible poker player, he can't hide his emotions for anything. The best reaction to a jibe like Renee's is to act like it means nothing to you, otherwise the person making the jibe is liable to keep poking at you with it. Telling them to "quit it" rarely works, as that also shows that you were bothered by what they said.

On the other hand from what we've heard about Renee, albeit secondhand from Angus, and from the brief glimpses we've seen in the comic, Renee is a very abrasive person, more so than Faye. And from the looks of it, her mouth moves faster than her brain, meaning that she might insult someone without thinking of it. Either that or she lacks that intuitive sense of gauging people's response. I'm not saying its a lack of empathy or a form of sociopathy, but just that way some people always seem to misread a room.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #55 on: 08 Mar 2017, 09:29 »

Eliot is a contrasting combination of large, intimidating size and sensitive, vulnerable personality. He's completely intimidated by the (relatively) diminutive Brun, and runs to hide after Renee outs him as having a crush.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #56 on: 08 Mar 2017, 09:58 »

Renee seems to actually feel bad, so that's something.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #57 on: 08 Mar 2017, 11:53 »

Renee seems to actually feel bad, so that's something.

Well yeah, because she realised she hurt Elliot. Her mouth just runs faster than her head.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #58 on: 08 Mar 2017, 12:09 »

It's good that Renee feels bad about what she said this time, but abrasive people tend to not spend a lot of time apologizing for what came out of their mouth. My perspective is that of Elliot's, the person getting "abraded", so to speak. To be around someone like Renee and not want to murder her after awhile, you need a thick skin, or at least to appear like you have one.

Not that you let them say what they want to you all the time either; there comes a point where you have to say "Not cool dude!" to let them know they've gone too far. But I suspect the main reason that Elliot and Renee are still on speaking terms is that Renee is not quite as abrasive around him as she might be around others, and is quicker to recognize when she's gone too far with him. In other words, Renee is nicer to Elliot than she might be with say, Angus or even Brun.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #59 on: 08 Mar 2017, 13:01 »

The best reaction to a jibe like Renee's is to act like it means nothing to you, otherwise the person making the jibe is liable to keep poking at you with it.
Quite so. My father's advice was: "Never let them see you cry."
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier
« Reply #60 on: 08 Mar 2017, 15:13 »

The best reaction to a jibe like Renee's is to act like it means nothing to you, otherwise the person making the jibe is liable to keep poking at you with it.

Eh. It's better than my dad's advice which was something about crushing enemies, driving them around and lamenting women. Quite the backwards thinker, my dad.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #61 on: 08 Mar 2017, 16:05 »

I think that this is a shocking experience for both of them.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #62 on: 08 Mar 2017, 16:58 »

Eh. It's better than my dad's advice which was something about crushing enemies, driving them around and lamenting women. Quite the backwards thinker, my dad.

He just wants you to succeed. How else will you become king?

mad hands murphy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #63 on: 08 Mar 2017, 17:36 »

I'm glad renee got called on being a jerk.

Big Lad is a sensitive soul!

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #64 on: 08 Mar 2017, 17:51 »

Strip is up!

Good thing neither Claire nor Hannelore are along for this or the squee right now would be deafening. 

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #65 on: 08 Mar 2017, 18:01 »

I call them Sevemy. Also Bubbles doesn't want to work there anymore, but do we know that Faye won't?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DuneCanid

• Larger than most fish
  • MAGA Making America Greater, Always
« Reply #66 on: 08 Mar 2017, 18:21 »

Good on both of em.

Jereven!!!!

It is not outside the realm of possibility that Bubbles might return, when the atmosphere of what was has dissipated. Jeremy will have observed Faye's expertise, and I feel sure he would be glad to have her back on board.

A robot gym.... could might even have Basilisk in there betimes, practicing moves.

DC, l5ls.

WoaLG

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #67 on: 08 Mar 2017, 18:57 »

Faye is abnormally adorable in today's comic.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #68 on: 08 Mar 2017, 20:04 »

He just wants you to succeed. How else will you become king?

And rule by your own hand, though your crown sits heavy upon a troubled  browwwwww.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #69 on: 08 Mar 2017, 20:33 »

Good thing neither Claire nor Hannelore are along for this or the squee right now would be deafening.

Faye is abnormally adorable in today's comic.

It does seem to be a bit out of character for Faye to be a-squeeing, but then again, it's been how long since Angus left and she was turned out from COD?  These are her people now, and living vicariously through robo-mance shows a bit of her return to humanity (ironic, I know). 

On a different note, does anyone else find the headlamp-faces disturbing?  I think it's the opposite of uncanny valley - I just can't get behind something so un-anthropomorphic.  Even Punchbot's smiling puss is preferable. 

Then again...

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #70 on: 08 Mar 2017, 20:56 »

Bubbles' blush is adorbs.

Holographic, you think?  :-P

Gyrre

« Reply #71 on: 08 Mar 2017, 21:19 »

Looks like Jeremy's arm is in fact telescopic.

Addendum: Nor let them see the flash of anger in your eyes. Many will try to goad you into fighting if they do.

And then there's J.I. Mathers' advice, "Never throw the first punch. Always have a witness. And, … AIM FOR THE BALLS!!!".

I know hitting 'below the belt' isn't considered "fair", but being out numbered isn't fair either.

a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #72 on: 08 Mar 2017, 21:42 »

I don't have a problem with the flashlight heads because Legion and Tali.  I know in Tali's case it's a mask, but since she never takes it off...

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #73 on: 08 Mar 2017, 22:05 »

Squee.

Two people find or create happiness. Ok, in the corniest, most cliched way possible. I'll take what I can get after the recent high drama.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #74 on: 08 Mar 2017, 23:19 »

Is 'Robomance' a word? :-D

Seriously, Jeph really draws Seven and Jeremy as being cute and it's a sign of good artistry that he's able to communicate emotions and reactions in two characters that don't have faces at all!

As for Faye...? Well, this is (IMO at least) a reminder that a lot of her harsh nature is a shield that she holds up to the world in an attempt to avoid being hurt. When she feels safe or unobserved, we can see that she's actually a bit giggly and giddy who loves seeing people happy and being part of that. She's not quite a squee-ing teenager but I suspect that a part of her would like to be one!

I'd really like to know what's going through blushin' Bubbles' mind right now! :wink:
~~~~

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #75 on: 09 Mar 2017, 00:35 »

"Waa-ah-oh-oh, caught in a robomance!"

If you can fit it into a Lady Gaga song, how can the answer be no?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #76 on: 09 Mar 2017, 00:40 »

Yes! Robo Gym, called it!

And squeeeee!
A million little robot babies...

As for Bubbles returning to the place; she did not want to live there and wanted to be done with the place. I can imagine her living elsewhere, but she had no problem going back there to check up on and help Jeremy. I still see a nice workshop ahead, with Bubbles as the sensible, caring nurse-mechanic and Faye as the creative weird mad-scientisty-mechanic (artist blood will out!).
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2017, 07:43 by oeoek »

JWoodrell

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #77 on: 09 Mar 2017, 01:18 »

A million bébes , thats some assembly line kind of action right there. Or is it more of a box of parts like a DIY kit.

And would birthcontrol be some kind of firewall,  setting her connectivity setting to friendzone...

do you trust this connection...  "nope"

Did anyone check for compatibility i know cabling issues always come up...  but its not the length of the cable that counts...

Are their antivirus shots up to date, no telling who theyve connected with in the past, hate to download something nasty...  socially transmitted data? 

Ok its late, im done :). Good night

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #78 on: 09 Mar 2017, 05:05 »

Did anyone check for compatibility i know cabling issues always come up...  but its not the length of the cable that counts...

Does the prohibition on discussing characters' "private parts" extend to AI cabling, ports, plugs,  and assorted dongles?

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #79 on: 09 Mar 2017, 05:08 »

"Waa-ah-oh-oh, caught in a robomance!"

If you can fit it into a Lady Gaga song, how can the answer be no?

I was thinks more Golden Earring:

We've got a thing that's called Robot Love
We've got a line in the sky
We've got a thing that's called Robot Love
We've got a thing that's called,
Robot Love....

(Air Bass)

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #80 on: 09 Mar 2017, 05:39 »

I'd really like to know what's going through blushin' Bubbles' mind right now! :wink:

Bubbles is just trying to figure out how they're going to kiss, given their hardware configurations.

And then it hits her:

(click to show/hide)
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #81 on: 09 Mar 2017, 06:05 »

Looks like Jeremy's arm is in fact telescopic.

Addendum: Nor let them see the flash of anger in your eyes. Many will try to goad you into fighting if they do.

And then there's J.I. Mathers' advice, "Never throw the first punch. Always have a witness. And, … AIM FOR THE BALLS!!!".

I know hitting 'below the belt' isn't considered "fair", but being out numbered isn't fair either.

And sometimes being dismissive or offering no reaction at all will prompt bullies to keep pushing harder and harder to get the reaction they want out of you. The point being there is no one-size fits all answer. People who want to bully and get someone upset will find a way to get what they want. I used to get bullied all through middle and high school to the point where it would take an outburst of rage and a fist fight to get people to leave me alone for a while. Not exactly an option in the adult world where that can get you arrested.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #82 on: 09 Mar 2017, 07:10 »

I have a little something else in mind by America [was originally thinking Animaniacs but that would have bjorked the mood]
(click to show/hide)
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #83 on: 09 Mar 2017, 09:28 »

NO idea why this sprang to mind...

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #84 on: 09 Mar 2017, 11:45 »

A nice romantic moment to cap off the storyline.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2017, 13:02 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

DuneCanid

• Larger than most fish
  • MAGA Making America Greater, Always
« Reply #85 on: 09 Mar 2017, 13:55 »

Given the singularity event, and the plural observations of a whole range of emotions by AIs and anthroPCs here, Jereven isn't all that difficult to accept. Rather nice, really.

One of the Admiral's characters, Manuel O'kelly Davis, when he was trying to figure out Mike, stated that one theory of his time and space was that sentience came into being after reaching a certain critical number of connections between neural pathways. "Can't see the difference if pathways are protein or platinum." Same thing with romance.

Now the meat/metal barrier.... I don't know enough about it. (Sex robots.... Not -my- shot of jack, and probably not the same deal.) But having said, I'm not about to give a couple that cross that barrier a hard time, as long as it works for them, and no one gets hurt.

Oh, an elaboration, for those not in the know. "The Admiral" is the late great sci-fi writer, Robert Heinlein. Mike and Manuel are figures in his book THE MOON IS A HARSH MISTRESS.
(Read that thing to tatters a couple of times.) Said book was nominated for a Nebula award  in 1966 and won a Hugo for best sci-fi novel in 1967.

DC , l5ls.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #86 on: 09 Mar 2017, 13:59 »

A nice romantic momnet to cap off the storyline.

MomNet... Aha! That explains the Eminence Gris!
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #87 on: 09 Mar 2017, 14:16 »

Akima - I'm sorry that your father had to give you this advice. I suspect you didn't see him cry while he was giving it.
If he is still available, you might thank him for his wisdom, and say that now you understand. It is also OK to let *him* see you cry as you do it.
He must be very proud of you.
(HUG)
Thank you for being my friend, and ornamenting this site.
(Insert bow of supreme respect here)

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #88 on: 09 Mar 2017, 19:55 »

Gifts, and more dog puns:  Arfthur.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #89 on: 09 Mar 2017, 20:05 »

If Brun and Bubbles should meet it will probably start with a dog pun.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #90 on: 09 Mar 2017, 20:09 »

What is "Bront"?

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #92 on: 09 Mar 2017, 21:34 »

"George" is the original.

But yes, care of a living thing is a heavy responsibility. Bubbles has buddha nature.

Clubman8

• Plantmonster
  • Probably will never post enough to seem not new.
« Reply #93 on: 09 Mar 2017, 22:04 »

Though Arthur is a great name, Jeph missed the boat on a slick Elder Scrolls reference: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Charles_the_Plant

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #94 on: 09 Mar 2017, 22:20 »

"Arthur." Shouldn't that be "Eric?"

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #95 on: 09 Mar 2017, 22:24 »

Though Arthur is a great name, Jeph missed the boat on a slick Elder Scrolls reference: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Charles_the_Plant

I thought it was a reference to the old Mad Magazine.  For some reason there was a potted plant that would in the background of with the name Arthur written on it for no other reason other than it was probably an inside joke.   

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #96 on: 09 Mar 2017, 23:07 »

I shouldn't be surprised that Bubbles had such an... intense reaction here; it's still pretty amazing to see how seriously she's taking it.

What's really funny is Claire squeaking out the pun at the end. She doesn't know if it would be welcome and doesn't want to sound like she's mocking Bubbles' one-result random name generator. However, she's literally got to pun when the door is left open for it or she'll explode or something. So, it's a tiny whisper then!

An early request: I don't care how much you like Girls With Slingshots. Arthur will never talk back, no matter how much alcohol is involved!
~~~~

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #97 on: 09 Mar 2017, 23:19 »

Does the prohibition on discussing characters' "private parts" extend to AI cabling, ports, plugs,  and assorted dongles?

Global Moderator Comment If multiple AI members of the forum report feeling unwelcome as a result then yes :-)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #98 on: 09 Mar 2017, 23:44 »

Global Moderator Comment If multiple AI members of the forum report feeling unwelcome as a result then yes :-)

Administrator Comment We shouldn't wait for someone to be unhappy before taking steps to make them welcome. On the other hand we would want evidence that such a subject was actually analogous to human causes of embarrassment, which we can't simply assume.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #99 on: 10 Mar 2017, 00:11 »

This suddenly occurred to me: I think that there is a part of Claire that now desperately wants to own a little dog just so she can name it 'Arf-fur'.
~~~~

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up