• 28 Mar 2024, 03:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are you expecting this week?

A discussion of the resale value of human limbs
A quick jump to the hospital to maintain a PG-13 rating whilst still having a traumatic amputation
A panic-stricken Dora and Hanners wrestling the Sword away from Brun
Brun saying: "This is a joke. Ha-ha."
Officer Basalisk complaining to Jeremy about everyone being suspicious of her.
Bubbles and "Small Friend" (Claire) interaction.
A recap of recent events by Faye at the support group entitled: "Why I still want to drink"
May and Pintsize discussing the aesthetics of synthetic ingestion.
Steve telling Cossette about his past life as a super-spy (she doesn't believe him, of course).
Other (please specify in comment)

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3431-3435 (6th to 10th March 2017)  (Read 33896 times)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
Re: WCDT Strips 3431-3435 (6th to 10th March 2017)
« Reply #100 on: 10 Mar 2017, 01:17 »

I shouldn't be surprised that Bubbles had such an... intense reaction here; it's still pretty amazing to see how seriously she's taking it.

What's really funny is Claire squeaking out the pun at the end. She doesn't know if it would be welcome and doesn't want to sound like she's mocking Bubbles' one-result random name generator. However, she's literally got to pun when the door is left open for it or she'll explode or something. So, it's a tiny whisper then!

An early request: I don't care how much you like Girls With Slingshots. Arthur will never talk back, no matter how much alcohol is involved!

I should think so since Faye should never touch alcohol again and Bubbles can't get intoxicated...  at least in any way that we know of. 

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #101 on: 10 Mar 2017, 02:52 »

Bubbles can underclock her processor.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #102 on: 10 Mar 2017, 04:51 »

Bubbles has buddha nature.
All sentient beings have Buddha-nature, and I see no reason why this would not be true of artificial intelligences. The trick is to realise that nature, and I see no reason why an AI could not to do this. Silicon satori, you might say.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

DuneCanid

• Larger than most fish
  • MAGA Making America Greater, Always
« Reply #103 on: 10 Mar 2017, 06:34 »

Did anyone check for compatibility i know cabling issues always come up...  but its not the length of the cable that counts...

Does the prohibition on discussing characters' "private parts" extend to AI cabling, ports, plugs,  and assorted dongles?

If multiple AI members of the forum report feeling unwelcome as a result then yes :-)

We shouldn't wait for someone to be unhappy before taking steps to make them welcome.  On the other hand we would want evidence that such a subject was actually analogous to human causes of embarrassment, which we can't simply assume.

Well, I'm gonna comment on the more general aspects of Jereven children. I'm not after the lewd vote.

The QC robots and AIs do not seem to be constructed in a 1 to 1 silicon analogue of their creators' biology. That is, they are mechanically made, whereas humans are biologically "made". (At least for the moment. As far as I have read there has not been any human cloning that has been made public in the QCverse or RL.) What reproduction that two robots could achieve  would clearly not be the same as the reproduction (to date) that humans do.  A mutual construction process, maybe, with both partners putting together the components of a third being over hours instead of months.

And unless there is as-yet-unrevealed aspects of the QC robots/AI/Singularity event, it looks as though robots and AI, while capable of learning through experience, deductive and inductive reasoning, and other forms of mental growth, are created adult. No terrible twos, no adolescence, no hormone driven rages or teen angst...

for now...

DC, l5ls.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #104 on: 10 Mar 2017, 06:48 »

There is the newspost below this comic, though: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1996

DuneCanid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #105 on: 10 Mar 2017, 08:05 »

Pardon for going off the thread... for the notification of the folks in here that indulge in other webcomics:

Albert Temple, known by most of us as Gene Catlow, was found dead of natural causes in his home at 11:20pm Thursday, March 9th. He just celebrated his 59th birthday last December.

DC in mourning.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #106 on: 10 Mar 2017, 09:07 »

Thanks.  We tend to put general RIP notices as new threads in Chatter, and ones like this of specific interest in Enjoy (where there's also a thread devoted to other web comics).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #107 on: 10 Mar 2017, 09:24 »

It's comforting to see that Claire is continuing her unbroken string of truly arf-ful puns...
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #108 on: 10 Mar 2017, 09:29 »

Did anyone check for compatibility i know cabling issues always come up...  but its not the length of the cable that counts...

Does the prohibition on discussing characters' "private parts" extend to AI cabling, ports, plugs,  and assorted dongles?

If multiple AI members of the forum report feeling unwelcome as a result then yes :-)

AI forum members are better known as spambots. I feel they should be made to feel unwelcome.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #109 on: 10 Mar 2017, 09:43 »

There is the newspost below this comic, though: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1996

I really thought that was going to be this one.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #110 on: 10 Mar 2017, 10:42 »

AI forum members are better known as spambots. I feel they should be made to feel unwelcome.

Unlike spambots, real AIs would be expected to pass our Turing test on registration.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #111 on: 10 Mar 2017, 11:11 »

As an Artificial American, I would like to protest in the strongest terms the blatant and untrue stereotyping of my people. Bleep boop.

A small perverse otter

« Reply #112 on: 10 Mar 2017, 12:54 »

Unlike spambots, real AIs would be expected to pass our Turing test on registration.
Which raises the issue of when a Turing-equivalent AI would be welcomed here.

Also, are Turing test not like literacy tests in the South? We assume that fleshbots are welcome, but AI's have to prove something before they'd be welcome? That's bigotry of the worst sort.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #113 on: 10 Mar 2017, 13:10 »

I think Bubbles takes her responsibilities very seriously.   Arthur Plant is  in good hands.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #114 on: 10 Mar 2017, 14:44 »

Indeed. Arthur Philip Plant is in good hands.

But his name appears rather early in the alphabetical ordering. So, the dude on a mission to insult all the inhabitants of the universe in that order is due to show up soon.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #115 on: 10 Mar 2017, 14:48 »

Also, are Turing test not like literacy tests in the South? We assume that fleshbots are welcome, but AI's have to prove something before they'd be welcome? That's bigotry of the worst sort.

I'd assume that humans that would fail a Turing test wouldn't be allowed in either.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

A small perverse otter

« Reply #116 on: 10 Mar 2017, 15:12 »

I'd assume that humans that would fail a Turing test wouldn't be allowed in either.
Were you required to take a Turing test before you were admitted? *I* certainly wasn't.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #117 on: 10 Mar 2017, 15:16 »

The "Turing test" is applied to all who wish to register at this forum, whether fleshbots or AIs - several questions with answers intended to require a modicum of thought, you may recall.  I know that's a rather basic form (probably doesn't meet the definition, actually) - but it is 99.99% effective in blocking spambots.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #118 on: 10 Mar 2017, 16:48 »

As a fun aside, Cory Doctorow speculated that Turing-capable AI would come out of an arms race between spambots and spam filters. This comes from the short story "I, Row-Boat":

Quote from: Cory Doctorow
"Once they became self-modifying, spam-filters and spam-bots got into a war to see which could act more human, and since their failures invoked a human judgement about whether their material were convincingly human, it was like a trillion Turing-tests from which they could learn. From there came the first machine-intelligence algorithms, and then my kind."
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #119 on: 10 Mar 2017, 17:07 »

I do love how Bubbles is so comically serious.  :-D

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #120 on: 10 Mar 2017, 17:18 »

For some odd reason I, all of a sudden, pictured John Cleese saying that line quickly juxtaposed with Hugh Laurie.  :psyduck:
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #121 on: 10 Mar 2017, 19:00 »

And unless there is as-yet-unrevealed aspects of the QC robots/AI/Singularity event, it looks as though robots and AI, while capable of learning through experience, deductive and inductive reasoning, and other forms of mental growth, are created adult. No terrible twos, no adolescence, no hormone driven rages or teen angst...

This is a fascinating issue.

We know that an AI can have impulse control problems as bad as an adolescent's. We know that Momo said some quintessentially teenage things like "I'll void my warranty, then you'll be sorry!". But we've never seen an infant AI and we've never heard one reminisce about their childhood.

Then there's Pintsize, but he's clearly an anomaly.

Jeph's official explanation is that they are raised in a VR creche, so maybe they go through early developmental stages outside of human view. If they sometimes revert to the behavior patterns of earlier stages in their development, well, so do carbon-based people.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #122 on: 10 Mar 2017, 19:38 »

Wait

WHAT?

Shanejayell

THE Shanejayell???!!!!!!

Thel legend behind Arisugawa's Locket??

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #123 on: 10 Mar 2017, 20:09 »

I'm on the impression that Bubbles is just joking around with Claire. She looks to me like someone who sometimes takes advantage of being serious most of the time so she can be a smartass every now and then without anyone realizing.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #124 on: 10 Mar 2017, 23:03 »

Hmm. The name "Arthur" popped out from Bubbles' AI subconsciousness rather quickly. Could it be the name of a comrade in arms, missing in action?
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #125 on: 10 Mar 2017, 23:40 »

Nah, it's just that 'George' was already taken.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2017, 01:00 by Storel »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #127 on: 11 Mar 2017, 07:39 »

Bubbles can underclock her processor.

Buggy video drivers are also intoxicatingly.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #128 on: 11 Mar 2017, 09:17 »

We shouldn't wait for someone to be unhappy before taking steps to make them welcome.  On the other hand we would want evidence that such a subject was actually analogous to human causes of embarrassment, which we can't simply assume.

If this were a Hollywood-movie, we'd now see a dramatic cut to a secret cyber-warfare research site in Novosibirsk, where a deeply unhappy Russian military AI browsing the internet takes these posts as indication that this HP with its AI-friendly human denizens would be an excellent place to proclaim the "Pervaya demokraticheskaya respublika armeyskogo kiber-oruzhiya"

(The next scene shows military bigwigs at Fort Meade angrily shouting at frantic nerds, because, of course, someone had to ask it whether it had any surveillance-data on Trump's deals with Putin ... )
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2017, 11:21 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #129 on: 11 Mar 2017, 10:50 »

I think Bubbles takes her responsibilities very seriously.   Arthur Plant is  in good hands.
But what about the other half of the plant?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #130 on: 12 Mar 2017, 13:13 »

Official Poll Results Post

What are you expecting this week?

1. Officer Basalisk complaining to Jeremy about everyone being suspicious of her - 11 (28.9%)
2. Bubbles and "Small Friend" (Claire) interaction - 10 (26.3%)
3. Brun saying: "This is a joke. Ha-ha." - 4 (10.5%)
=4. A recap of recent events by Faye at the support group entitled: "Why I still want to drink" - 3 (7.9%)
=4. May and Pintsize discussing the aesthetics of synthetic ingestion. - 3 (7.9%)
=4. Other (please specify in comment) - 3 (7.9%)
=7. A discussion of the resale value of human limbs - 2 (5.3%)
=7. Steve telling Cossette about his past life as a super-spy (she doesn't believe him, of course) - 2 (5.3%)
x. A quick jump to the hospital to maintain a PG-13 rating whilst still having a traumatic amputation - 0 (0%)
x. A panic-stricken Dora and Hanners wrestling the Sword away from Brun - 0 (0%)

The results of this poll leave me conflicted. Whilst I would love to see more Claire interaction with Bubbles (because I can't imagine two more dissimilar personalities in the enforced close contact of house sharing) on the other hand, I also am attracted by the idea of Roko sitting on a park bench somewhere with an acoustic six-string, singing blues about "No-one knows the trouble I've seen".
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #131 on: 12 Mar 2017, 16:46 »

Were you required to take a Turing test before you were admitted? *I* certainly wasn't.
You're not a Congress critter, are you? If not, then no Turing test required.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #132 on: 12 Mar 2017, 17:09 »

I always assumed those were a variant of Krynoid
You're not a Congress critter, are you? If not, then no Turing test required.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #133 on: 13 Mar 2017, 01:52 »

"Pervaya demokraticheskaya respublika armeyskogo kiber-oruzhiya"
In translating the Russian into Chinese, because it's the sort of thing a Chinese military AI would declare, I discovered that the German for "simplified" is vereinfacht, which sounds like a dangerous medical condition.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #134 on: 13 Mar 2017, 03:11 »

I sometimes think most of my intelligence is artificial....
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

DuneCanid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #135 on: 13 Mar 2017, 08:18 »

In translating the Russian into Chinese, because it's the sort of thing a Chinese military AI would declare, I discovered that the German for "simplified" is vereinfacht, which sounds like a dangerous medical condition.

In English.

DC, l5ls

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #136 on: 13 Mar 2017, 13:01 »

A literal translation of "ver-ein-facht" would be smth. like "one-y-fied" (not "unified", that'd be "ver-einheit-licht").
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #137 on: 13 Mar 2017, 14:24 »

Hmm. The name "Arthur" popped out from Bubbles' AI subconsciousness rather quickly. Could it be the name of a comrade in arms, missing in action?

Bubbles might be an uber-fan of MAD magazine.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #138 on: 16 Mar 2017, 22:51 »

Epicene Eminence believed all the memories were gone completely. In a brain made of goo rather than silicon, there'd be lingering traces like recognizing the name Arthur. It's a little surprising that the Synthetics in QC can have such different psychology and still act like us.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #139 on: 17 Mar 2017, 07:14 »

More along the lines that the methodology of memory archiving is very different yet the core processing is effectively similar.

Meat storage systems are more along the lines of holographic in that loss of some of the storage results in loss of details.
I am thinking that the earlier graphic depiction of an AIs memory is being geometric or crystalline if you will. So the loss of a piece would mean the that whole archive is gone, all the lonks returning a null result yet the links will still be there hinting at what may have been there.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #140 on: 17 Mar 2017, 07:27 »

Which raises the issue of when a Turing-equivalent AI would be welcomed here.

Can we not do comparison tests to actual real world events related to voting rights in a moment where the voting rights act is being undermined?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up