THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GitS (film, not anime)  (Read 4575 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
GitS (film, not anime)
« on: 08 Apr 2016, 23:29 »

Not entirely Anime, but Wellington has been in a slight uproar here due to filming of the Ghost In The Shell Movie here.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/78740476/traffic-delays-due-to-scarlett-johansson-film

Whats made things even more chaotic in the Central City is the fact that the Remake of the Kiwi Classic Goodby Pork Pie has also been filming at the same time.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: GitS (film, not anime)
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2016, 05:46 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2016, 06:49 »

I'm more skeptical about the guy playing Batou, he kinda has a babyface. At least compared to Batou..
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2016, 06:56 by Edguy »
I dunno..

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2016, 13:29 »

That picture of the Major doesn't do it for me.  Maybe it's better from another angle...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2016, 18:59 »

predictions for the ghost in the shell movie
-corporations are the good guys
-the laughing man is just a straight up villain
-major kusunagi has a male love interest
-a bunch of really shitty fight scenes
-it makes way too much money
Batou is the love interest
i hate this and it’s probably right

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2016, 15:03 »

Adapting an Asian story with a western cast in a western setting is ok. Blackface, however, I believe has been a pretty big no-no for like 40-50 years? Kinda bizarre they would even consider that..
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2016, 17:18 by Edguy »
I dunno..

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2016, 16:56 »

Are you kidding?

With the kind of crap that's going on in the States ATM, I wouldn't be all that surprised if the asshats running Hollywood now moved to reintroduce Blackface!!!
James The Kugai 

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2016, 07:14 »

Live action ‘Ghost in the Shell’ producers reportedly tested visual effects that would make white actors appear Asian
I wonder how digital yellowface could be any better than the traditional sort done with make-up. But the only solution to this is for people to boycott films that whitewash and yellowface so that they don't make money, and that probably isn't going to happen, because on average Western audiences are fine with it, I think.
That picture of the Major doesn't do it for me.  Maybe it's better from another angle...
Not for me either.

Blackface, however, I believe has been a pretty big no-no for like 40-50 years?
Blackface maybe, but yellowface remains respectable. Linda Hunt won an Oscar for a yellowface role in 1983. And there is David Carradine's so-tasteful turn as Poon Dong in "Crank" from 2009...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2016, 04:40 »

A view from Japan in support of the casting of Scarlett Johansson.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2016, 08:28 »

Nice article pwhodges.  Some great bits:

An article by ScreenCrush citing anonymous sources close to the production claims that CGI was commissioned that would have altered Johansson in post-production to “shift her ethnicity” and appear more Asian. Paramount Pictures denied the claim that it was meant for Johansson and stated that the test was only applied to a background character and ultimately not used.
Sounds like the original article was just runaway sensationalism then.

Sam Yoshiba, the director of the international business division at Kodansha's Tokyo headquarters, commented on the controversy with support for Johansson.

"Looking at her career so far, I think Scarlett Johansson is well cast," he said. "She has the cyberpunk feel. And we never imagined it would be a Japanese actress in the first place." He added that the adaptation is offering an opportunity for a Japanese property to be seen worldwide. Yoshiba recently returned from the set of the film in New Zealand and said he was impressed by the respect the production was showing for the source material.

This part stuck out to me and I wanted to bring it to light for the discussion.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2017, 20:34 »

James The Kugai 

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2017, 15:05 »

Sam Yoshiba, the director of the international business division at Kodansha's Tokyo headquarters, commented on the controversy with support for Johansson.

"Looking at her career so far, I think Scarlett Johansson is well cast," he said. "She has the cyberpunk feel. And we never imagined it would be a Japanese actress in the first place." He added that the adaptation is offering an opportunity for a Japanese property to be seen worldwide. Yoshiba recently returned from the set of the film in New Zealand and said he was impressed by the respect the production was showing for the source material.

This part stuck out to me and I wanted to bring it to light for the discussion.

Does that quotation say anything more than "someone with a vested interest in the success of the movie says it will be good"? I am shocked, shocked to hear it! :roll:

What stuck out to me is "we never imagined it would be a Japanese actress in the first place". No, of course they didn't. Because they have a realistic view of the acceptance of Asian actors in leading roles in Hollywood. And in audiences in the West.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2017, 17:25 »

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2017, 17:45 »

I'm sorry, but it's too litte, too late.

I like the fact that they've got them to dub the Japanese version, it's a nod to their work, but I don't thing that's gonna help at this stage. 

This is NOT. GiTS.

James The Kugai 

Pages: [1]   Go Up