Fun Stuff > ENJOY

Disney and Pixar movies

<< < (6/6)

TheEvilDog:
Its usually a trademark issue, to appeal to a different market or simply because the name just wouldn't work.
Take Avengers (2012) for example, in Ireland and the UK, it had to be renamed Avengers Assemble because of the 1960s television series and the 1998 film.
Likewise, Grimsby (2016) had to renamed "The Brothers Grimsby" in the US, because (i) the play on words and (ii) most Americans would not have a clue where to find the town on a map of the UK.

As for Zootopia, the Danish zoo I mentioned in a previous post, I think they registered the trademarked name in the UK, the details are a little hazy.

cybersmurf:

--- Quote from: Method of Madness on 21 Mar 2019, 14:40 ---I get giving a movie a different title if it’s going to be translated and the original doesn’t translate well, but why the fuck would you change the title in another English speaking country? I’m not saying Zootropolis is a bad title, just why didn’t they call it that here, too?

--- End quote ---

If I understood that correctly: Copyright issues? A lot of people might not realise, but copyright is handled by every single country individually. OK, admittedly, the EU has a say in that, synchronising things like that among the members, but still. If someone holds a copyright for Zootopia in the UK, but not the US, the US can use it, but not the UK.

Tova:
The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists! got released here as Pirates: Band of Misfits for some reason. No idea why they changed the title at all, let alone to something so meh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version