THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should Bubbles and Faye name their Business?

Peaches 'N' Bubbles
Accessories, Repairs and Wisecracks
Face Meat & Metalwork
Chassis 'R' Us
Redemption Repairs
Bodyshop of Doom
Mechanical Magics
Hephestus's Workshop
You Break, We Fix, You Pay - Everyone is Happy!
Other (Let us know in a comment!)

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3451-3455 (3rd to 7th April 2017)  (Read 22706 times)

Buggman

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WCDT Strips 3451-3455 (3rd to 7th April 2017)
« Reply #100 on: 07 Apr 2017, 13:25 »

Nice to see that these two have progressed past the firing schism. If I were Dora, I'd be a bit nervous about placing my finances in the hands of an alcoholic, though.

Faye's been sober for a long time. More importantly, Dora's been trying to get Faye to move beyond being a service peon for at least a couple thousand strips. Giving Faye the final leg up into the wonderful world of self-employment makes perfect sense--and suddenly invading Faye's personal space after doing so makes perfect sense in-character.
"Your failure to be informed does not make me a kook."

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #101 on: 07 Apr 2017, 16:21 »

Plus there's the whole 'Bubbles is SCARY honorable' thing. If they get behind on rent, I expect Bubbles would pawn off a leg or something....

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #102 on: 07 Apr 2017, 17:50 »

So... That's another conflict solved, I guess? I'm glad I don't read QC for the story, because it seems like, recently, Jeph doesn't like writing try/fail cycles very much, and prefers just to skip the success.
Well, "life is what happens between failures".
In QC, though, there haven't been any failures for life to happen between.

Also, that's a really dumb quote if it's supposed to be taken literally or metaphorically. In many ways, failure has more impact on life than success - That's why most succesful stories don't let their characters be succesful until the story is over. If your characters overcome every single conflict with relatively little difficulty, then the story loses tension quickly.

1) it's a paraphrased quote and the name drop for a webcomic
2)  Full quote from pg 305:
Much of our time is spent looking to the moments when we succeed, or fail. But those moments are only a tiny part of our lives. I'll always remember the day I started living in the times between.

The conversation that prompted that character revelation starts at #222 Dead Inside.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #103 on: 07 Apr 2017, 18:34 »

Gyrre, there was a time that some argued that Between Failures was a QC ripoff...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

wlewisiii

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #104 on: 07 Apr 2017, 18:34 »

So... That's another conflict solved, I guess? I'm glad I don't read QC for the story, because it seems like, recently, Jeph doesn't like writing try/fail cycles very much, and prefers just to skip the success.
Well, "life is what happens between failures".

Also, that's a really dumb quote if it's supposed to be taken literally or metaphorically. In many ways, failure has more impact on life than success - That's why most succesful stories don't let their characters be succesful until the story is over. If your characters overcome every single conflict with relatively little difficulty, then the story loses tension quickly.

1) it's a paraphrased quote and the name drop for a webcomic
2)  Full quote from pg 305:
Much of our time is spent looking to the moments when we succeed, or fail. But those moments are only a tiny part of our lives. I'll always remember the day I started living in the times between.

The conversation that prompted that character revelation starts at #222 Dead Inside.

Good stuff.

To add to the idea of failure, I'll offer this from "Schlock Mercenary"

Maxim 70. Failure is not an option - it is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Emily is the Avatar.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #105 on: 07 Apr 2017, 20:36 »

Failure is ALWAYS a option - Mythbusters.  :-P
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2017, 07:23 by shanejayell »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #106 on: 07 Apr 2017, 22:58 »

How big does a failure have to be to qualify?  Dora driving Marten to break up with her was a failure; Faye drinking herself out of a job was a failure; Sven failing to live up to Faye's expectations was a failure.  Even QC isn't all fluffy clouds and bunny rabbits!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #107 on: 08 Apr 2017, 00:05 »

Recently we had a rather nasty bit of fail when Bubbles' memories turned out to be gone, meaning she'd spent the last few years in indentured servitude for nothing.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #108 on: 08 Apr 2017, 14:06 »

"Not in entire forgetfulness,
 And not in utter nakedness,
 But trailing clouds of glory do we come
 From the dealer's lot that is our home."

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #109 on: 08 Apr 2017, 16:23 »

I'm actually getting the impression that Jeph is 'Settling down' the core cast of Marten Faye and Dora and  bringing into play a newer, younger Cast in  order to maintain the Comics Continuation.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #110 on: 08 Apr 2017, 23:20 »

"Not in entire forgetfulness,
 From the dealer's lot that is our home."

What exactly are you quoting here, Akima? I haven't seen it before, but I like it. Although the "dealer's lot" part puzzles me; is this a paraphrase of something?

Edit: Aha, should have googled it before I asked. Googling "trailing clouds of glory" brought me immediately to "Ode: Intimations of Immortality" by William Wordsworth. The original version of the relevant part:

Code: [Select]
Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
        Hath had elsewhere its setting,
          And cometh from afar:
        Not in entire forgetfulness,
        From God, who is our home

Neat -- thanks Akima!
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2017, 23:34 by Storel »

mikmaxs

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #111 on: 08 Apr 2017, 23:37 »

How big does a failure have to be to qualify?  Dora driving Marten to break up with her was a failure; Faye drinking herself out of a job was a failure; Sven failing to live up to Faye's expectations was a failure.  Even QC isn't all fluffy clouds and bunny rabbits!
Those are all very old, though. The most recent one you're mentioning happened two years ago. (Or 550 comics, if you prefer.) The only real failures I can think of since then are Faye drinking once, and Claire's horrible attempt at setting up Clinton with Emily.

Continued in a moment, first I want to insert this quote:
Recently we had a rather nasty bit of fail when Bubbles' memories turned out to be gone, meaning she'd spent the last few years in indentured servitude for nothing.
See, the problem is, that's not an actual failure. There's a big distinction between 'Something bad happened' and 'Our characters failed'. That wasn't a nasty bit of fail - Faye and Bubbles got everything that they needed to succeed, handed to them on a silver platter, and have been blindly stumbling upward.

It's specifically since the start of the creepybot arc that I've seen this. I'd hoped that once the arc was over, that would be that, but Faye and Bubbles continue to not have to struggle with anything.
Don't mind me.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #112 on: 09 Apr 2017, 05:18 »

Gyrre, there was a time that some argued that Between Failures was a QC ripoff...

Then you might find it funny to know that I learned about QC through Between Failures.

Jackie has made mention of it (and Jeph) and linked it in the author's commentary below the comics a few times.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #113 on: 09 Apr 2017, 13:34 »

Just to let everyone know that I'll be leaving this poll open (as it is plot- rather than time-limited). I'll be interested to see if we get more than forty-four members voting (that seems to be the typical number of users we have voting on these polls most week).

Just a heads-up: I don't have any ideas for a poll this week. If someone else wants to do next week's WCDT, please be my guest.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up