• 28 Mar 2024, 13:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Just what is Pintsize's deal?

He's just a pervert but with more metal than most
He's a sort of troll who likes freaking out people by pretending to be transgressive
He's a weird kind of abstract archetype that Jeph created of the whole concept of an AI having any sexuality at all
He is actually one of the world's greatest behavioural psychologists trying to help Marten and Faye with a carefully-planned series of fake actions
He has impulse control problems, does stupid things on a whim and doesn't think about possible consequences
At first it was just curiosity and a one-off practical joke but it's become a bit of a habit he's never bothered to shake
He actually thinks that this is tremendeously funny and doesn't get everyone's reaction
Other reason (in-universe)
Other reason (real world)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3471 to 3475 (1st to 5th May 2017)  (Read 54339 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: WCDT Strips 3471 to 3475 (1st to 5th May 2017)
« Reply #150 on: 04 May 2017, 08:05 »

@St.Clair,

Speaking entirely personally, I don't think that it's fair to characterise my views as jumping to "assuming that any or all intimate relationships must be, or become/progress to, romantic and/or sexual ones;". Whilst I agree that some shippers can be quite fanatical, it is my view that, with a few exceptions (who are newcomers and, IMO, ought to be excused their excitement), the majority of Faye/Bubbles relationship advocates on this board have come to their conclusion by watching the development of the interactions between the two characters.

In my case, I only started thinking that Jeph may be hinting towards romantic attraction (at least on the part of Bubbles) at the time Bubbles had a breakdown after hearing some local roughs call her a 'freak' and the way Faye went to her at once and comforted her (this is after Bubbles nearly punched a hole in a wall next to Faye's head). It is after that point that we see Bubbles starting to make aesthetic changes to her hair and getting extremely defensive when Faye notices. It isn't exactly subtle writing but I feel confident in my interpretation of it.

Now, I fully understand and acknowledge others' right to not accept this interpretation. Until such time as Jeph gives a clear yes/no indicator (and he tends to be very clear about these sorts of things), we can only make extrapolations and interpretations on the strip. I am certainly not going to be shoving it down anyone's throats. However, I think that I can justifiably say that, so long as I remain polite and do not stray too far into fan-fiction or outright weirdness, I am not doing wrong by my fellow forum members.

... interesting thought, if the armor wasn't actually that thick, and Bubbles is already using a strong military chassis, is the point of it purely ablative?

Even though Bubbles' armour is heavy, it is still only infantry armour. I suspect it's a thin laminate made out of compressed layers of carbon composite and titanium. The underlying maroon-brown sheath is probably a combination of composite mail overlaid by a thin layer of Kevlar and some flame-retardant material.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #151 on: 04 May 2017, 08:58 »

I was honestly expecting her armour to take up a lot more of her body mass than it apparently actually does.  I guess they were only just plates. 

I was sort of expecting the whole red shell to come off and have sort of a smaller gangly body underneath, based on this.  Good luck stopping an AT round with applique plates, but I mean this universe has combat AI and orbital rail guns so I guess it doesn't matter... sure was nice of the army to match her skin tone so complimentarily though :psyduck:

It's surprising how human her chassis really is too.  Check out those triceps.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #152 on: 04 May 2017, 10:12 »

I don't know what her derma layer is actually made of, but if it is any kind of flexible material that has been under rigid, jointed armor for literally years of active nonstop wear - even armor that's well-fitted and designed to minimise abrasion -it's pretty damned astonishing if there aren't some fairly large worn-through areas.  'Minimise' is not the same as 'eliminate'. Human skin under those circumstances would be absolutely trashed, even if it had been kept clean enough not to develop infections/etc.

Up until she said different, I had assumed that aside from her face/head, the armor WAS her skin.

ronbo

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #153 on: 04 May 2017, 12:36 »

@St.Clair,

Speaking entirely personally, I don't think that it's fair to characterise my views as jumping to "assuming that any or all intimate relationships must be, or become/progress to, romantic and/or sexual ones;". Whilst I agree that some shippers can be quite fanatical, it is my view that, with a few exceptions (who are newcomers and, IMO, ought to be excused their excitement), the majority of Faye/Bubbles relationship advocates on this board have come to their conclusion by watching the development of the interactions between the two characters.

In my case, I only started thinking that Jeph may be hinting towards romantic attraction (at least on the part of Bubbles) at the time Bubbles had a breakdown after hearing some local roughs call her a 'freak' and the way Faye went to her at once and comforted her (this is after Bubbles nearly punched a hole in a wall next to Faye's head). It is after that point that we see Bubbles starting to make aesthetic changes to her hair and getting extremely defensive when Faye notices. It isn't exactly subtle writing but I feel confident in my interpretation of it.

Now, I fully understand and acknowledge others' right to not accept this interpretation. Until such time as Jeph gives a clear yes/no indicator (and he tends to be very clear about these sorts of things), we can only make extrapolations and interpretations on the strip. I am certainly not going to be shoving it down anyone's throats. However, I think that I can justifiably say that, so long as I remain polite and do not stray too far into fan-fiction or outright weirdness, I am not doing wrong by my fellow forum members.

... interesting thought, if the armor wasn't actually that thick, and Bubbles is already using a strong military chassis, is the point of it purely ablative?

Even though Bubbles' armour is heavy, it is still only infantry armour. I suspect it's a thin laminate made out of compressed layers of carbon composite and titanium. The underlying maroon-brown sheath is probably a combination of composite mail overlaid by a thin layer of Kevlar and some flame-retardant material.

As someone who has grown into a Faye/Bubbles shipper, I fully recognize that not every relationship needs to have a romantic component and this one very well may not have one.  I've come to my belief that there eventually will be some sort of non-platonic goings on between the two based on how Jeph has developed their emotional bond and how the pair have reacted to it.  Faye's emotions during the whole attempt to unlock Bubbles memories struck me as something more than worry for a friend.  Bubbles behavior toward Faye has clearly evolved during their relationship.  She is quite often flustered in her presence.  What started out as snarkiness and exasperation has transitioned into smiles and blushes.

So I think that Jeph is taking us in the direction of the two becoming romantically involved.  I could be completely wrong and I don't expect anyone else to agree with my interpretation of events.   

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #154 on: 04 May 2017, 12:48 »

Just piping in but the transformation sequence looks more like something out of this classic series that deals with the Question: what is intelligence? What makes us human?

Speculation on her dermal layer.
She is, as far as we can reasonably posit, a first generation or even a prototype AI combat infantry unit.
I can see the brass specifying something a bit more durable with self repair a necessary feature for deployments where there are extended supply chains and logistics issues with field service and repair. Sand, dust and small bugs gets into everything. E V E R Y T H I N G !
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #155 on: 04 May 2017, 16:22 »

Well,she wasn't going  to remove it the way Guao'ld do

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #156 on: 04 May 2017, 17:16 »

You are all aware of the fact, that a lot of stuff which we talked about here made it into the latest comic? :D

Jeph is listening :)

Or, it's entirely possible that some of us are Patreon supporters?  :-D :angel:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

HeavyP

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Woo!
« Reply #157 on: 04 May 2017, 17:31 »

Man, I love the comic, but the thought that keeps occupying my mind is that the last panel today *feels* like the first time I tried to take off a girl's bra.  I was all "Do I need to go get my dad's cutting torch?  Good lord!"

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #158 on: 04 May 2017, 17:41 »

Post about Fred.

And..what happened? Is Fred better, or working to a place where he is better? I am worried about your friend Fred.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #159 on: 04 May 2017, 19:00 »

I'm just really sick of this idea that shippers are some how dirty people masturbating to everything.

Just my 2cents:
I think there's some forum history you might not be aware of - if you are, skip right to where it says HERE! - it's a few months before my time, so take it with a grain of salt. Jeph has a spectacular case of dislike for shipping his characters in ways he considers unlikely, or untastefull. Apparently, the forum didn't always share that POV, most egregiously in the case of shipping Hanners, which lead to the forum's version of the Biblical Flood; with an enraged Jeph empowered with admin-rights trolling his own forum in a rather memorable fashion and publicly musing that he'd "never come so close to destroying one of my own creations".

(Mods? Does anyone remember were that "Please don't be bearhat-guy"-pic is? It's hilarious!)

The immediate results were a) Jeph rarely visits the forum any more b) The glorious dawn of the "Era PWhodges", named after the eponymous mod. That era is marked by us largely making up our own rules - or rather, our benevolent overlords encouraging that pleasant illusion - except for Jeph's First Commandment:

Though shalt not ship (distastefully and/or improbably)

There's no discussing this, goes right up his nose, like calling the Librarian of Unseen University a monkey - you comply OR.ELSE. And since this is Jeph's forum, running on Jeph's server, there's also no debate over this: We agree to his rules, or we go, simple as that - Jeph has made it abundantly clear that he doesn't loose sleep about people finding that unfair. You stick to the rules, or you go.

And since we don't want Jeph to go all Biblical God on the forums again, the mods will make you stick to the rules, or ... well, truth be told, I've somehow always missed what happens next, except that shipping is amazingly subtle here, if it happens at all. It's nothing personal, it's not even a judgement on your likes or dislikes, it's simply a fact of life. It doesn't even matter whether Jeph sometimes appears to be teasing us (that debate has evolved into something akin to kabbala by now) - this is not one of the places where "one rule for all" applies. It's his house, and his rules.

---> HERE! <----
Not that I'm suggesting you have crossed any lines (I don't think so) but this peculiarity has, over time, led to a natural selection process - Many of those who did enjoy shipping quite a lot have left, and those who staid can live without it, or get their fix elsewhere.

It's not a matter of finding shipping bad, or yuck, or whatever (personally, I can't be arsed one way or the other) - it's simply a matter of accepting that one is moving in a certain culture shaped by certain boundaries, and deciding whether one is OK with that or not. If you find shipping terribly enjoyable, knock yourself out, but I think you'll feel better if you're aware that yours being a minority opinion is not a judgement on you. Rather something like natural selection.  :-D

And this is an unpopular opinion but I feel that platonic relationships are lesser.
Sounds better that way, methinks?
« Last Edit: 04 May 2017, 20:34 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #160 on: 04 May 2017, 20:30 »

Interesting that Bubbles' designers went for the two-tone myomer. I still think she's probably better off not walking down the street without at least a pair of pants. Good thing she has the coat, or she might be stuck indoors waiting on getting an outfit delivered.

What could be fun would be if Bubbles decides to go for a more soft and feminine look; imagine her in a bright print dress, or something lacey and white. Or even just jeans and a slightly frilly blouse. It'd be much less expected than putting her in a plaid flannel top.

ETA: Here, this is what Bubbles' darker myomer looks like! An early 20th century men's swimsuit.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2017, 21:03 by jheartney »

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #161 on: 04 May 2017, 20:36 »

You put everything on the line for your spouse or partner. You don't do that for just a friend. So yes, romantic relationships do trump others.
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #162 on: 04 May 2017, 20:42 »

You put everything on the line for your spouse or partner. You don't do that for just a friend. So yes, romantic relationships do trump others.

Obviously, you haven't been directed to TvTropes yet.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #163 on: 04 May 2017, 20:44 »

Look at Bubbles, getting all smug at the end there. Good on her. Of course, you realize Faye complimenting Bubble's booty is going to send up the May signal...

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #164 on: 04 May 2017, 20:45 »

Folks--Bubbles blushed when Faye said "you look great."

Come on. I think we can acknowledge that Bubbles likes Faye a whole lot, yes, romantically.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #165 on: 04 May 2017, 21:14 »

Huh. Leotard.

I guess that temporarily addresses the matter of clothing.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #166 on: 04 May 2017, 21:55 »

Look at Bubbles, getting all smug at the end there. Good on her. Of course, you realize Faye complimenting Bubble's booty is going to send up the May signal...

If Faye is slightly envious of Bubbles butt, May is going to go full 'green-eyed monster' with pure, refined jealousy.

Interesting that Bubbles' designers went for the two-tone myomer. I still think she's probably better off not walking down the street without at least a pair of pants. Good thing she has the coat, or she might be stuck indoors waiting on getting an outfit delivered.

I hope she brought that coat with her, 'cause if Bubbles steps out of Fayes room looking like that and Claire sees her, she'll ship those two so hard they'll instantly find themselves in the back of a FedEx truck.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #167 on: 04 May 2017, 22:03 »

You put everything on the line for your spouse or partner. You don't do that for just a friend.

I think perhaps you don't know a lot about the military.  And where is Bubbles from?

Actually, aside from that your perspective is limited.  There are more options than you consider.  For instance, a parent can easily put everything on the line for their child - I agree that's more than simple friendship, but that doesn't mean it's the same as romantic love.  A brand of love, sure, but like friendship, that love is not defined by being sexual.    Another example: Captain Oates; friendship, taken to the limit - not sex, though one may read the story and say "how romantic".

So that's several examples now of how relationships closer and more intimate than "mere" friendship are not necessarily sexual, as indeed romance isn't either, nor love. Commonly shipping fails to acknowledge this richness of human experience, producing a crudely monochrome parody of it.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2017, 22:10 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

learn2run

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #168 on: 04 May 2017, 22:21 »

Oh, sweet Lord, don't cut away now... 

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #169 on: 04 May 2017, 22:31 »

I'm really looking forward to seeing if Bubbles wears the cardigan Emily made for her.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #170 on: 04 May 2017, 22:44 »

I was honestly expecting her armour to take up a lot more of her body mass than it apparently actually does.  I guess they were only just plates. 

I was sort of expecting the whole red shell to come off and have sort of a smaller gangly body underneath, based on this.  Good luck stopping an AT round with applique plates, but I mean this universe has combat AI and orbital rail guns so I guess it doesn't matter... sure was nice of the army to match her skin tone so complimentarily though :psyduck:

It's surprising how human her chassis really is too.  Check out those triceps.

The note indicates that she has storage compartments in her thighs, but I don't see any lines where these should be on her derma or unitard she's wearing.  If it's just as deep as the armor then it doesn't have much space for ammo or demolition charges, but it might fit a micro Nintendo DS. 

She's definitely Elliot size without the armor which might be a nice way to tie this story in with the one going on with the Secret Bakery. 

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #171 on: 04 May 2017, 23:35 »

It's going to take a while for me to get used to Bubbles' look sans armour. She's so buff that her proportions look a bit wrong to me but I guess I'll get used to it.

What is really blowing my mind is how sassy Bubbles has been getting recently! She's almost as bad as Faye is! However, I think it's genuinely good that she feels that she can be that free around Faye and doesn't need to watch where she's 'stepping'.

Oh... Panel 3 got my mind whirling. Faye definitely doesn't want to come across as overstepping Bubbles's boundaries herself which, given how free and easy she is normally, indicates a near-unprecedented level of concern for her friend. I think that Bubbles is pretty pleased that Faye is impressed though. Jeph seems determined to continue to tease and offer equivocal hints!

Purely out of curiosity, I'm wondering how much research of female body-builders and the like Jeph had to do to get Bubbles's body shape and proportions correct.

Oh, sweet Lord, don't cut away now... 

Actually, IMO at least, this is the ideal point to do so unless he has something specific planned as a next step.
~~~~

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #172 on: 04 May 2017, 23:35 »

Global Moderator Comment The moderators have huddled about Faye-Bubbles speculation.There is indeed long-ago forum history involving creepy shippers that left scars.What's going on today is thoughtful people civilly extrapolating from evidence in the comic.We're OK with that even when we're arguing with the conclusion.Of course if Jeph comes along and says it drives him up the wall then it'll be different.

Back in regular user mode, here's another speculation. What if romantic feelings develop but only on one side?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #173 on: 04 May 2017, 23:37 »

I don't envy your friends.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #174 on: 04 May 2017, 23:38 »

Back in regular user mode, here's another speculation. What if romantic feelings develop but only on one side?

That could actually be quite an interesting story. Can friendship survive a one-sided romantic attraction? That's a question more than a few people IRL have had to confront.
~~~~

hitmiccs

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #175 on: 04 May 2017, 23:50 »

Can friendship survive a one-sided romantic attraction?
Regarding what Faye and Marten went through, I would say yes.

@jwhouk: I always forget, that supporters get those comics early :/
If anything can go wrong, it will.
Murphy's Law

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #176 on: 05 May 2017, 00:01 »

That could actually be quite an interesting story. Can friendship survive a one-sided romantic attraction? That's a question more than a few people IRL have had to confront.
In my experience... sometimes. I've had friendships fall apart because the other person developed feelings I didn't reciprocate, I've had others that survived without a bump, and others that were bruised and drifted apart for a while but came back just as strong. It depends on the individual and the dynamics of the particular relationship.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #177 on: 05 May 2017, 01:47 »

Can friendship survive a one-sided romantic attraction?

Regarding what Faye and Marten went through, I would say yes.

I don't think that that's a good example. I'm pretty sure that Faye/Marten was mutual but that she consciously chose not to pursue it because she felt that she wasn't mentally or emotionally ready for a relationship of that nature. Faye's happiness was so important to Marten that he was able to step back and not push. Having Dora practically jump his bones within a few weeks probably made that easier.

When you think about it, that tells us quite a bit about Faye and her ability to control her desires and emotions.

It also tells us a bit about Mk1 Marten and his inability to take the initiative in relationships but that is neither here nor there.

What is really interesting is that Faye recognised where things were going and took the initiative to spike it before it went too far and her rejection would hurt. This is something that we should look out for in the current relationship arc as Faye seems very perspicuous about how people feel about her and proactive in her responses.
~~~~

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #178 on: 05 May 2017, 05:21 »

As someone currently going out with an asexual, one thing I've learned is that the common perceptions of 'friendships' and 'relationships' are not as fixed and immutable as we assume them to be. There is a lot of inbetween, and a lot of "I don't know what this is but it's good".

HeavyP

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Woo!
« Reply #179 on: 05 May 2017, 05:32 »

What could be fun would be if Bubbles decides to go for a more soft and feminine look; imagine her in a bright print dress, or something lacey and white. Or even just jeans and a slightly frilly blouse. It'd be much less expected than putting her in a plaid flannel top.

I don't think it's a two-tone myomer, I think it's an actual leotard-like final layer.  It may just be Jeph's drawing style, but you can see a line of shadow under where the legs and sleeves end, indicating a transition line where light is being blocked by a thicker material.  If it was all her "skin," albeit two-toned, there would be no difference in thickness and thus no shadow.  It's the same as the way he draws shadows on clothed characters.  I could be wrong, though, as the lines on the hips would seem to indicate uncovered articulation points.  I'll be curious as to whether the question is answered later.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #180 on: 05 May 2017, 06:23 »

So you put your friends before your spouse? I don't envy your spouse!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #181 on: 05 May 2017, 06:25 »

Or maybe it's not about raising one above the other. There are different kinds of love, not just romantic.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #182 on: 05 May 2017, 06:33 »

And there are different reasons to put everything on the line for different people.  Life is not so designed that you can fix all the answers in advance.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Quantum Glass

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #183 on: 05 May 2017, 06:39 »

Honestly it's really nice of the military and US Government to let her keep her chassis, despite how expensive the thing must be. I'm sure they could find some use for it.

I mean they've certainly made some mistakes in regards to her, and if they're anything like the RL!US Military they have more budget than they know what to do with, but it's a nice gesture. It's little touches of kindness like that that make certain authority figures in fiction really compelling.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #184 on: 05 May 2017, 06:41 »

I think that this debate over romantic versus platonic relationships is generating more heat than light. In any case, I am confident that no-one is advocating the idea that Faye ought to abandon friendships, nor that she should never enter into a romantic relationship again.

Look, obviously Faye and Bubbles have developed a strong and valuable bond. Regardless of what label you want to paste onto it, that is a great thing. What interests me at this point is how the bedrock of their support for each other will translate into confidence and progress for both of them, both emotionally as well as towards their life goals.

The emotional progress for Bubbles so far is manifest. The confidence and trust they now have ought also to carry into the business they are about to embark upon, which will hopefully yield fruit for them. Both this new friendship and business success will help Faye emotionally, and in particular in her fight with alcoholism.

These are all positive developments that we ought to be happy about rather than squabbling over.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

ronbo

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #185 on: 05 May 2017, 06:41 »

This back and forth has me a little confused.  In a healthy relationship your spouse is your closest friend.  They are the person most important to you.  There are certainly times where you do things with your other friends apart from your spouse and those friends fill something in your life that your spouse doesn't.  That's healthy.  Ranking your friends and spouse isn't healthy.  Competition between your friends and spouse isn't healthy.  Friends and spouses that don't understand and respect your need for both aren't healthy.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #186 on: 05 May 2017, 06:59 »

My wife was my best friend. There is no distinction for me. I'd give up everything for any of my friends, her included. Love is not a hierarchy.
@syleegrrl

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #187 on: 05 May 2017, 07:02 »

Possibly getting back to the strip... I was actually a bit disappointed that the armor wasn't more mecha-ish. But admittedly that's me.

Gyrre

« Reply #188 on: 05 May 2017, 07:05 »

Man, I love the comic, but the thought that keeps occupying my mind is that the last panel today *feels* like the first time I tried to take off a girl's bra.  I was all "Do I need to go get my dad's cutting torch?  Good lord!"

I hear/see that complaint a lot. Did I just luck out and happen to have girlfriends with less complicated bras? It was super easy.
a real-ass gaddam sword

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #189 on: 05 May 2017, 07:12 »

As someone currently going out with an asexual, one thing I've learned is that the common perceptions of 'friendships' and 'relationships' are not as fixed and immutable as we assume them to be. There is a lot of inbetween, and a lot of "I don't know what this is but it's good".

As a relationship anarchist, I don't feel the need to draw a distinction at all. I think hierarchies in general, be they inter-personal, political, whatever, are problematic and unhealthy.  Which isn't to say I love everyone I know equally, but I don't rank types of relationships or even create arbitrary discreet categories for them at all.
@syleegrrl

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #190 on: 05 May 2017, 07:17 »

I think that it is pretty clear that Bubbles has some romantic attraction to Faye. She frequently blushes and does the shy looking away thing when talking about personal subjects and especially when Faye compliments her. Specifically when Faye does it. She's pleased when the others treat her like a friend, but not flustered. Faye is more concerned than usual about Bubbles' well being and about being good to her, but she's always been loyal to her friends. Nothing she's done or said to Bubbles has been beyond the 'we're close friends' stage. I think that right there sinks the potential USS Faybles. I don't think that romance with Bubbles is something that has even crossed her mind. More likely I think she considers her the same way she thinks of Dora, platonic besties or like Marten. Family even if they don't share blood.

Gyrre

« Reply #191 on: 05 May 2017, 07:22 »

For the folks getting a bit close to bickering, please say the following alloud: "You are you, and I am me. We all see things a bit differently."
a real-ass gaddam sword

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #192 on: 05 May 2017, 08:09 »

For the folks getting a bit close to bickering, please say the following alloud: "You are you, and I am me. We all see things a bit differently."

[tweet]860146090389254144[/tweet]

:angel:

(Yes, I know my angel is 'pining for the fjords'. It can pine for anything it bloody wants to!)
« Last Edit: 05 May 2017, 08:30 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #193 on: 05 May 2017, 10:45 »

I don't think it's a two-tone myomer, I think it's an actual leotard-like final layer.  It may just be Jeph's drawing style, but you can see a line of shadow under where the legs and sleeves end, indicating a transition line where light is being blocked by a thicker material.  If it was all her "skin," albeit two-toned, there would be no difference in thickness and thus no shadow.  It's the same as the way he draws shadows on clothed characters.  I could be wrong, though, as the lines on the hips would seem to indicate uncovered articulation points.  I'll be curious as to whether the question is answered later.

Right, I was taking my cue from the lines on the hips. It also seemed to me that if she'd been years since she took off the armor, a thin cloth garment layer between armor and myomer would have long since shredded. But you're right there's a small shadow suggesting the darker stuff is another layer.

Glaedren

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #194 on: 05 May 2017, 10:56 »

Dang, was Bubbles' chassis made in a Naval yard?

Girl's got hips like battleships!

Read QC for years, lurked the forums on occasion, finally made an account just for an atrocious pun.

Maybe Jeph finally rubbed off on me.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #195 on: 05 May 2017, 11:09 »

And..what happened? Is Fred better, or working to a place where he is better? I am worried about your friend Fred.

Fred is doing a bit better these days, but still has problems.  He and his wife are still separated because she didn't feel safe after a late night incident involving a PTSD response when he came out of a nightmare to the sound of her clicking a pen.  I found out about *that* bit later, but that was the reason why he finally resolved to get rid of the gun.  (Yes, he was sure.  He was VERY sure he was ready to let it go.) He has relocated to the east coast for therapy at a VA center and I hear from him in email from time to time.   They miss each other and they (and I) hope they will be back together one day.

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #196 on: 05 May 2017, 13:47 »

Why does an AI need to stretch...?

Smug Bubbles is great though.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

TheEvilDog

« Reply #197 on: 05 May 2017, 13:56 »

Why does an AI need to stretch...?

Humans stretch as a means of waking up their body, to help remove waste build-up in the muscles and to rejuvenate the ligaments and the mind. So presumably, a chassis does so for the same reason, removal of waste build-up in what passes for muscle and ligaments in their bodies and to alleviate stress build-up.

It could also be an instinctive response, to make an chassis and the AI inhabiting it to seem more human and to get out of the uncanny valley.

Although the former seems to be the more likely.

Gyrre

« Reply #198 on: 05 May 2017, 14:31 »

I was guessing the lines to be hems in the fabric.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #199 on: 05 May 2017, 14:51 »

We've been thinking of Bubbles as an adult. How old is she, really?

The blushes could be childlike.

She hasn't had any relationship experience since leaving the service and we've not heard of any from before that.

She could be honestly confused about what her feelings are toward Faye.

Someone new to romantic relationships should start with someone easier than Faye.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up