Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 14 Aug 2018, 12:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to enjoy Amsterdam in August?  (Read 1118 times)

Aimless

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Untss untss untss untss
Best way to enjoy Amsterdam in August?
« on: 15 May 2017, 00:41 »

We're thinking of staying in Amsterdam for a few days on our way back from London. I've never been there and my wife hasn't been there since she was a kid, so I was wondering if any resident Dutchies may have some advice or tips :) We like chill urban environments close to green areas and water, flavorful food and fun places to hang out. We generally dislike things that require a great deal of advance planning or queuing. Where do locals in Amsterdam like to spend a nice summer day on a weekend? What areas offer a large variety of good food and entertainment at reasonable value? Are there any good comedy clubs for non-Dutchies? What's overrated and what should be avoided outright? Any and all help v much appreciated.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Case

• Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
Re: Best way to enjoy Amsterdam in August?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2017, 02:16 »

Brought to you by your Ministry of The Bleeding Obvious ...  :-D

(Sorry for that ...)

No seriously? When I was living in Arnhem, the proximity of the Jazz Department of the Conservatory of HKA Arnhem (now absorbed into Conservatory Hilversum & Amsterdam) meant that Thursday through Saturday, you had free life-music in most bars around the old city core (because there was an abundance of Music students & teachers who'd play for beer & the lulz).

I'd highly recommend following your ears!

The Netherlands are the Jazz-capital of Europe, and Amsterdam is, well ... : https://www.conservatoriumvanamsterdam.nl/en/

« Last Edit: 23 May 2017, 06:36 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"Ignoring isn't the same as ignorance, you have to work at it" - Margaret Atwood

Castlerook

• Older than Moses
  • Captain Sarcastic
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2017, 19:03 »

Amsterdam is a city that I always enjoy ending up in, but I've never actually gone out of my way to go there (I've had flights that were forced to stay overnight in Schiphol). Honestly, the longest I have been there has been a day, so if you want my 0.02:

- Renting a bike is a classic Amsterdam thing to do to get around the city. Don't. Instead buy a multi-travel ticket (a day to 7 days costs about 8 to 34 respectively). You can use it on the trams, they go all over the city. And I'm not saying this as someone who can't ride a bike.
- The Rijksmuseum is the largest collection of Dutch art in the world (van Ruysdael, Hals, Vermeer, Steen and Rembrandt). The Van Gogh museum is right next door.
- Nearby is the House of Bols, the world's oldest distilled spirit brand, having been distilling since the 16th century.
- Leidseplein, an open-air square that only a couple of minute from the museums, that has a number of cafes. Malaysian and Indonesian cuisine is quite popular, largely due to the history of the Dutch East India Company.
- The Jordaan neighbourhood is home to many 17th and 18th century buildings and a Dutch Protestant Westerkerk Church that dates back to the 17th century, and where some of the most famous Dutch artists are buried, including Rembrandt. Be warned though, the Church is only open weekdays between 10am and 3pm.
- The Anne Frank House. It is one of those places that people do need to visit if they have the chance. I was lucky enough to get there really early, but from what I have been told, during the day, there are lines around the building, so if you do decide to go, book your ticket in advance.
- Dam Square is the central square in Amsterdam, and you can tour the Royal Palace (tickets are 10 for adults and its open from 10am until 5pm)
- The Red Light District and not for the reason you might think. I'm talking about an area that has 300-year old buildings that still have that Dutch architectural style. Though at night, it apparently comes to life. I wouldn't know, I had to get back to the hotel and get ready for a flight.
- Oh, and I suppose the canal tour. There are two kinds of tours; the first is where you hop on and hop off where you like. The second is the more traditional, where they take you on a circular tour and take you back to where you started.

Hope that helps and I hope you get to see more of Amsterdam than I did.
Whenever someone says "I'm not book smart but I am street smart.", all I hear is "I'm not real smart, but I am imaginary smart."

Aimless

« Reply #3 on: 04 Aug 2017, 14:33 »

Thanks for the tips guys :) we decided to go to Venice this year because it's always been a dream of my mum's, but hoping to visit Amsterdam next year. My dad and my sisters went there this year, as well as a couple of friends, and they had a good time. V. chill.

Aimless

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2018, 15:18 »

Ended up postponing trip until this year, but we'll be in Amsterdam for a few days this August to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. Mostly sauntering around, staring at people, eating and hanging out w/ some old forumites but probably going to visit the Van Gogh museum and perhaps also the national museum. If possible, a concert.

If any of you have insider tips on underrated restaurants where one can find innovative and well-made contemporary or traditional Dutch food holla :o also if you have tips for restaurants w/ Indonesian food.

LTK

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2018, 15:57 »

Oh, great news! The new metro line just opened so you'll probably find it easier to get around the city (including where I live)!

innovative and well-made contemporary or traditional Dutch food

I would say that you can pick two of those. If it's traditional Dutch food, it's probably not innovative, and if it's contemporary, I doubt it'll be well-made.  :laugh:

Indonesian food is definitely easier to find but they tend to be takeaway restaurants. I happen to know of a good one here but for a restaurant where you sit down and eat with plates and cutlery, I'd have to inquire further. I don't go to enough restaurants to know which are underrated but I can probably gather some recommendations here and there.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

LTK

« Reply #6 on: 08 Aug 2018, 10:33 »

Got a few recommendations!

Hanneke's Boom, established 1662, menu changes weekly.

Spirit, a kind of self-service organic, vegetarian restaurant.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Definitely DEFINITELY not touching my balls
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
« Reply #7 on: 08 Aug 2018, 14:06 »

I actually quite enjoyed the Van Gogh museum. I know it's painfully obvious but it was interesting, if overly modern. There's also a Chinese restaurant on the river (this place) that I can't recommend highly enough. You'll rack up a drinks bill without looking like you wouldn't believe, but fuck the food was amazing, hot and varied, the service fast and not impolite; and the space itself is glorious. Sat on the river itself too, with a great decor, it's just a great place to be. You certainly won't be in there long.
There's a difference to being bisexual and taking what you can get.
www.madcap156.wordpress.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up