Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 26 May 2017, 05:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seth MacFarlane - The Orville  (Read 133 times)

JoeCovenant

• Furry furrier
Seth MacFarlane - The Orville
« on: 19 May 2017, 05:40 »

Seth MacFarlane's latest...

Thoughts?

Personally, I think it might be a fun one-off series... but I can't see it holding the attention as a long-standing comedy.

Unless they intend to bring more drama into it? But my problem with that is that I can't see Seth MacFarlane playing anything else but Seth MacFarlane.
So, nice idea, but... limited, maybe?

P.S.
I dunno if the name The Orville was a tip o' the hat to this guy...?

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

BenRG

• Older than Moses
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: Seth MacFarlane - The Orville
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2017, 06:48 »

James T Kirk, Benjamin Sisko, Jean-Luc Picard, William Riker, Katheryn Janeway and Jonathan Archer all qualified top of their respective classes at Starfleet Academy. Did you ever wonder what happened to the barely-adequate cadets who squeezed under the line with a D+ grade? Well, they end up commanding second- or third-line patrol cutters and ambulance ships like the Orville, just like this guy.

Oh, Joe? She's named for the first human to fly a heavier-than-air aircraft but you knew that, right?

Those aliens, the Vrill? They look like Jem'Hadar (although the ships look like they're from the Farscape-verse). If that comparison holds, our 'heroes' are cold, dead meat that hasn't stopped twitching yet.

Memo to Chief Engineer: Please patch the android's combat programming with a 'non-lethal restraint' mode. Thanks.

I'm also wondering how long it will be before the crew start calling Captain/XO closed-door meetings "The Five-Minute UST"?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2017, 08:29 »

People who were poor students and presumably not very skilled officers while in the Academy and after graduation wouldn't ever make it to commanding a ship, or even heading a department. They'd be one of the faceless and nameless uniforms you see in the background. I doubt that grades mean as much as experience when it comes to picking a starship captain though. It's entirely possible they could rise through the ranks and eventually wind up with a high rank, even commanding a ship. But for the top of the line ships, those out there exploring and making first contact they are only going to take the best officers they can get their hands on.

JoeCovenant

• Furry furrier
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2017, 08:29 »

James T Kirk, Benjamin Sisko, Jean-Luc Picard, William Riker, Katheryn Janeway and Jonathan Archer all qualified top of their respective classes at Starfleet Academy. Did you ever wonder what happened to the barely-adequate cadets who squeezed under the line with a D+ grade? Well, they end up commanding second- or third-line patrol cutters and ambulance ships like the Orville, just like this guy.

Oh, Joe? She's named for the first human to fly a heavier-than-air aircraft but you knew that, right?

Those aliens, the Vrill? They look like Jem'Hadar (although the ships look like they're from the Farscape-verse). If that comparison holds, our 'heroes' are cold, dead meat that hasn't stopped twitching yet.

Memo to Chief Engineer: Please patch the android's combat programming with a 'non-lethal restraint' mode. Thanks.

I'm also wondering how long it will be before the crew start calling Captain/XO closed-door meetings "The Five-Minute UST"?

Re: The Orville... yeah... Dear Mr. Wright...
I just thought the green bird was funnier!  :)

Spot on with the Jem-Haddar clones.
And I KNEW the ship style reminded me of something, but you've just nailed it !  :)

So, yeah... I await it with mixed feelings!  :)

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

TheEvilDog

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Ask the person above me about the treasure.
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2017, 10:00 »

People who were poor students and presumably not very skilled officers while in the Academy and after graduation wouldn't ever make it to commanding a ship, or even heading a department. They'd be one of the faceless and nameless uniforms you see in the background.

The word you're looking here is Redshirt.
Whenever someone says "I'm not book smart but I am street smart.", all I hear is "I'm not real smart, but I am imaginary smart."
Pages: [1]   Go Up