THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seth MacFarlane - The Orville  (Read 9305 times)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
Seth MacFarlane - The Orville
« on: 19 May 2017, 05:40 »

Seth MacFarlane's latest...

Thoughts?

Personally, I think it might be a fun one-off series... but I can't see it holding the attention as a long-standing comedy.

Unless they intend to bring more drama into it? But my problem with that is that I can't see Seth MacFarlane playing anything else but Seth MacFarlane.
So, nice idea, but... limited, maybe?

P.S.
I dunno if the name The Orville was a tip o' the hat to this guy...?

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: Seth MacFarlane - The Orville
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2017, 06:48 »

James T Kirk, Benjamin Sisko, Jean-Luc Picard, William Riker, Katheryn Janeway and Jonathan Archer all qualified top of their respective classes at Starfleet Academy. Did you ever wonder what happened to the barely-adequate cadets who squeezed under the line with a D+ grade? Well, they end up commanding second- or third-line patrol cutters and ambulance ships like the Orville, just like this guy.

Oh, Joe? She's named for the first human to fly a heavier-than-air aircraft but you knew that, right?

Those aliens, the Vrill? They look like Jem'Hadar (although the ships look like they're from the Farscape-verse). If that comparison holds, our 'heroes' are cold, dead meat that hasn't stopped twitching yet.

Memo to Chief Engineer: Please patch the android's combat programming with a 'non-lethal restraint' mode. Thanks.

I'm also wondering how long it will be before the crew start calling Captain/XO closed-door meetings "The Five-Minute UST"?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2017, 08:29 »

People who were poor students and presumably not very skilled officers while in the Academy and after graduation wouldn't ever make it to commanding a ship, or even heading a department. They'd be one of the faceless and nameless uniforms you see in the background. I doubt that grades mean as much as experience when it comes to picking a starship captain though. It's entirely possible they could rise through the ranks and eventually wind up with a high rank, even commanding a ship. But for the top of the line ships, those out there exploring and making first contact they are only going to take the best officers they can get their hands on.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2017, 08:29 »

James T Kirk, Benjamin Sisko, Jean-Luc Picard, William Riker, Katheryn Janeway and Jonathan Archer all qualified top of their respective classes at Starfleet Academy. Did you ever wonder what happened to the barely-adequate cadets who squeezed under the line with a D+ grade? Well, they end up commanding second- or third-line patrol cutters and ambulance ships like the Orville, just like this guy.

Oh, Joe? She's named for the first human to fly a heavier-than-air aircraft but you knew that, right?

Those aliens, the Vrill? They look like Jem'Hadar (although the ships look like they're from the Farscape-verse). If that comparison holds, our 'heroes' are cold, dead meat that hasn't stopped twitching yet.

Memo to Chief Engineer: Please patch the android's combat programming with a 'non-lethal restraint' mode. Thanks.

I'm also wondering how long it will be before the crew start calling Captain/XO closed-door meetings "The Five-Minute UST"?

Re: The Orville... yeah... Dear Mr. Wright...
I just thought the green bird was funnier!  :)

Spot on with the Jem-Haddar clones.
And I KNEW the ship style reminded me of something, but you've just nailed it !  :)

So, yeah... I await it with mixed feelings!  :)

Covenant

TheEvilDog

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2017, 10:00 »

People who were poor students and presumably not very skilled officers while in the Academy and after graduation wouldn't ever make it to commanding a ship, or even heading a department. They'd be one of the faceless and nameless uniforms you see in the background.

The word you're looking here is Redshirt.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #5 on: 03 Nov 2017, 02:58 »

The Orville renewed for a second season.

[EDIT]
Given the scale of the divergence between critic and viewer response on Metacritc, Rotten Tomatoes and similar sites (average critic ratings are around 2/10 whilst audience response is over 9/10), I think that some TV reviewers need to honestly question whether they understand the show or the genre properly.

That said, honestly, The Orville is hard to pigeon-hole, being neither sci-fi/comedy (like Red Dwarf), space opera (like Space: Above and Beyond) nor entirely Star Trek-like semi-hard sci-fi. Given that Fox evidently wanted to market it as a comedy (because McFarlane is intimately associated with Family Guy), it is understandable that maybe many critics approached it with the wrong preconceptions and this may have impacted on their view of the show.
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2017, 04:38 by BenRG »
~~~~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #6 on: 03 Nov 2017, 06:36 »

Has this aired over here at all? The trailer looked... moderately amusing.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #7 on: 03 Nov 2017, 10:15 »

Nope.
As expected audiences are split down the middle from what I've read.
I'm not *surprised* it got a second series... doesn't mean it *deserves* one though...  :)
Covenant

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #8 on: 03 Nov 2017, 10:28 »

The first episode will air on Fox UK on 18th December 2017.
~~~~

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2018, 13:03 »

It's more Star Trek than Discovery. I took a break after the social media episode, but I enjoyed it and plan to catch up soon. Light viewing, but well-made.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2018, 01:32 »

Honestly, having watched some of this show, I have to say the writing and characterizations hold up rather well, and the plots are somewhat thought provoking at times. I don't expect it to be well remembered, but I do think it will be memorable in the long run.

Also, huh, Serious Mcfarlane, who'd have thought it possible.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #11 on: 03 Mar 2019, 04:33 »

I've just watched some of the footage from the climactic space battle from Identity, Part II, which I consider to be as good as anything produced by Industrial Light & Magic. This in a season that has managed Star Trek: TOS levels of hard sci-fi to date.

IMHO, even if The Orville is not renewed for a third season (it's US domestic ratings, sadly, remain mediocre), Seth has made the point loud and clear that maybe CBS should have come to him about creating the new Star Trek series.
~~~~

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #12 on: 03 Mar 2019, 08:06 »

I haven't seen season 1 but I am utterly impressed by season 2 thus far. It feels like a true successor to TNG. Its interesting that it was publicized as "family guy in space" but honestly, its not. Its just TNG for a modern audience. Sure there is comedy but Star Trek had comedy. The Orville's isn't as dry in that department though but they are just as serious and have just as much comedy as any of the other Star Trek shows. There is more consequence to each episode too. It doesn't really go back to the status quo, but constantly builds on itself. DS9 would do that at times and is known for having arcs compared to the previous series and it shines in the Orville too. Rotten tomatoes are not to be taken so seriusly now-a-days but I know many put their faith in it. Season 1 had terrible critic reviews and an overwhelmingly positive audience score. Season 2 has a critic score of 100% and audience level at about the same as season 1.

I do hope they get a 3rd season. This show deserves it.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #13 on: 12 Apr 2019, 05:06 »

One of the continuing arcs in The Orville is getting interesting now:
(click to show/hide)
~~~~

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #14 on: 12 Apr 2019, 06:40 »

I think thats the beauty of the early star treks (TOS and TNG) is that they asked these kind of philosophical, sociological, and cultural questions through the lens of the crew and aliens. Usually the crew is on the other side of the debate as the Federation has already evolved to the point where the stuff we consider taboo today has already been resolved. Like the episode in TOS where the man with the white left side and black right side is chasing down a man with a black left side and white right side because he is a different "race" and is to be persecuted, only for the crew to scratch their head on why there is segregation based on skin color. Another example is in TNG where Riker meets aliens with no gender and develops a relationship with one that wants to have a gender. The crew again scratches their head on why people can't have the gender they want. The Orville seems to follow that tradition brilliantly and not just with the Moclans, however the Moclans do seem to be the go-to for discussions about gender, identity, relationships, and even trans issues.

(click to show/hide)

Also also also, awesome having counselor Troi on the Orville as the new teacher!  :-D
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave
Pages: [1]   Go Up