• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where Could Friday's Strip Take Us?

A panicking Faye quizzes Bubbles about the 'Robot Hegemony' thing
Bubbles: "Actually, Faye, They promised you to me as a pet! That is a joke."
Claire: "Marten! I've found a new true calling in my life! I want to be a materials engineer!"
Dora and Tai exploring when Dora became the Den Mother to the main cast
Hannelore goes to visit Spookybot to discuss the Hegemony in a way that suggests it is a huge practical joke on intelligent life
Bubbles and Hanners silence Dora...by shushing her every minute for no obvious reason

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3486 to 3490 (22 to 26 May 2017)  (Read 27952 times)

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
Re: WCDT Strips 3486 to 3490 (22 to 26 May 2017)
« Reply #100 on: 24 May 2017, 12:59 »

Porky Pig didn't wear trousers, but wrapped a towel around his waist after a shower.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

TheEvilDog

« Reply #101 on: 24 May 2017, 13:18 »

But you know, between Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, they do have a complete outfit. Granted, its mismatched, but still.

And lets not forget that Scrooge McDuck, the richest duck in the world; with his top hat, his tailored jacket, his cane and his spats for his feet. Yet, never any pants but wore an old style full bathing suit when he was diving into his money pit.

Half dressed cartoon animals, go figure.

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #102 on: 24 May 2017, 18:20 »

$75 for a new butt?  That's cheap.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #103 on: 24 May 2017, 18:28 »

I know, right?

As an attorney, I have heard variations on  "I have to pay? but this is an EMERGENCY!" more times than I care to count.

As a friend says "If I want to go broke, I can do it at home with my feet up. I don't need to work at it."

TheEvilDog

I know, right?

As an attorney, I have heard variations on  "I have to pay? but this is an EMERGENCY!" more times than I care to count.

See, in my mind an emergency is "Oh dear, my hand has been cut off in an accident." not "Oh dear, my ass has achieved low earth orbit because I was messing around."

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental

Is it a good idea to have Faye set up the shop's social media presence?

"Union Robotics: All your Butts are belong to us!"

See, in my mind an emergency is "Oh dear, my hand has been cut off in an accident." not "Oh dear, my ass has achieved low earth orbit because I was messing around."

Three letters: RDX

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #106 on: 24 May 2017, 19:38 »

"I'm proud of you, buddy"

It sounds like this is the end of the arc.  What comes next?
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #107 on: 24 May 2017, 20:21 »

As a shipper, after Bubble's response I'd have liked her to go,

"My sensors have detected your hotness, as well."

Well, I'll save that for the fanfics.  :-D

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #108 on: 24 May 2017, 20:41 »

It sounds like this is the end of the arc.  What comes next?

Butts. Ultimately, it always come down to butts.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #109 on: 24 May 2017, 20:47 »

The hand in the middle of the back as they walk, with its slight shift, speaks volumes to the level of comfort they have with each other.

As in the end of Casablanca, "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship".

What weepy eyes? This is just allergies.
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #110 on: 24 May 2017, 21:10 »

What weepy eyes? This is just allergies.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #111 on: 24 May 2017, 21:23 »

Porky Pig didn't wear trousers, but wrapped a towel around his waist after a shower.
Well yeah, because he's wet :parrot:
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #112 on: 24 May 2017, 23:37 »

So, the excitement of the first day is over and from now on is the grind. Welcome to the real world, ladies!

Those last two panels are sweet in that they show Faye's protectiveness of Bubbles. Despite the fact that Bubbles is o much larger and stronger, I think that Faye is aware that, in many ways, Bubbles is more fragile than she is.

Then there is the fact that Bubbles oddly enough didn't seem to mind being 'checked out'. I would have thought that someone as conscious of themselves as Bubbles would have reacted more strongly but maybe she's getting over that slowly and is trying to develop an alternate view of the experience.

So, Faye, do you think Bubbles is super-hot?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #113 on: 25 May 2017, 00:03 »

It sounds like this is the end of the arc.
Maybe. To me, the choice of language also shows it's the end of any shipping for those two.

As a shipper, after Bubble's response I'd have liked her to go,

"My sensors have detected your hotness, as well."

Given Faye's recent and past history, what she really doesn't need is lots of hot sex. She could go to Sven for that any day, or could have followed Angus to wherever it was he went, or found someone else soon enough.

What she really needs (and she knows it) is a friend she can trust.
And a way of making a living doing something which she is skilled at and which she enjoys.

Anyway, I seem to remember that Jeph has already said he wasn't going to go there (extreme human-AI intimacy, and not counting Pintsize's efforts).
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #114 on: 25 May 2017, 00:35 »

I think I know how the butt got launched: just a little blockage in the system after a  certain app was installed.

My headcanon is that her butt was blown off by a collision with a certain butt-rocket.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #115 on: 25 May 2017, 01:27 »

Anyway, I seem to remember that Jeph has already said he wasn't going to go there (extreme human-AI intimacy, and not counting Pintsize's efforts).

That was a long time ago. Jeph may (or may not) have changed his mind since creating the character of Bubbles; writers do change their red lines on occasion.
~~~~

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #116 on: 25 May 2017, 03:33 »

Honestly, the "situational awareness protocol" didn't have to work very hard, because they weren't being at all subtle about it.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #117 on: 25 May 2017, 05:34 »

I think I know how the butt got launched: just a little blockage in the system after a  certain app was installed.

My headcanon is that her butt was blown off by a collision with a certain butt-rocket.
Perhaps her butt was the butt-rocket, and they've just been smashing in doors looking for help since then.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #118 on: 25 May 2017, 06:26 »

Honestly, the "situational awareness protocol" didn't have to work very hard, because they weren't being at all subtle about it.

Daaaaaaaaang

brasca

• Scrabble hacker

Is it a good idea to have Faye set up the shop's social media presence?

"Union Robotics: All your Butts are belong to us!"

Strangely enough Faye seems to have a good rapport with other AIs so maybe she's the best one for the job. 

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #120 on: 25 May 2017, 17:35 »

At least they've gotten their first paying customer/repair job under their collective belts.

Is it just me, or can anyone else hear Jerri Ryan's Seven of Nine voice when Bubbles makes that statement  in the last Panel.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #121 on: 25 May 2017, 20:47 »

Lesson learned here, never accept any currency from Pintsize. Ever.

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #122 on: 25 May 2017, 21:11 »

Perhaps its just me being sleepy, but I find it kinda interesting that AI's can show disgust for 'gross things' despite having no biological empathy.

Unless I'm mistaken, AI's don't feel 'pain', as highly implied by the sheer amount of physical destruction all the AI's have endured across the comics, usually being the punchline that they can take damage to their chasis, but keep coming back for more. To hurt an AI is more of a moral thing; abusing their freedom, their status as none human, and other existential rights.

Yet Momo has often balked at vulgarity, and just now Momo shows disgust at the money being damp. AI's can't contract physical disease, and they (presumably) don't usually engage is the more 'icky' bodily features (Eating, pooping, having sex) as far as we know.

So where does the sense of disgust for things come from? Is it something that they've adapted as second nature in emulating humanity? Is it the alien quality of biological function?

I'm too tired to grapple with this thought bubble, but yeah. What do you guys thing on the nature of "icky" for a being that has no biological imperatives, and thus, no direct understanding of the experience?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #123 on: 25 May 2017, 23:18 »

I think that the point is, Faye, can you afford not to be the guys who make sexual organ emulators for perverted synthetics on a budget? That's the problem that many a struggling new business has asked: what price ethics? Additionally at what point are you letting personal aesthetic qualms masquerade as ethics? One thing is sure here: Faye is going to do this and, based on her expression, she's regretting it already.

Perhaps its just me being sleepy, but I find it kinda interesting that AI's can show disgust for 'gross things' despite having no biological empathy.

They still have a sense of propriety and aesthetics and these (as with all social beings) are strongly influenced by the norms of the society and culture in which they live.

In any case, they have the ability to learn from experience. One thing Bubbles has learned is that money shouldn't be damp. One other thing she's learned is that something damp coming from Pintsize should set your imagination racing.
~~~~

Gyrre

« Reply #124 on: 25 May 2017, 23:23 »

Unless I'm mistaken, AI's don't feel 'pain', as highly implied by the sheer amount of physical destruction all the AI's have endured across the comics, usually being the punchline that they can take damage to their chasis, but keep coming back for more. To hurt an AI is more of a moral thing; abusing their freedom, their status as none human, and other existential rights.

Yet Momo has often balked at vulgarity, and just now Momo shows disgust at the money being damp. AI's can't contract physical disease, and they (presumably) don't usually engage is the more 'icky' bodily features (Eating, pooping, having sex) as far as we know.

So where does the sense of disgust for things come from? Is it something that they've adapted as second nature in emulating humanity? Is it the alien quality of biological function?

I'm too tired to grapple with this thought bubble, but yeah. What do you guys thing on the nature of "icky" for a being that has no biological imperatives, and thus, no direct understanding of the experience?
From the way Momo (it was her or Hanners) explained how the AI mind works, I'd wadger that it largely stems from 'emulating humanity'. Though, AI/robots finding organic beings revolting is something of a long-standing sci-fi trope.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

TRenn

• Plantmonster
« Reply #125 on: 25 May 2017, 23:29 »

At least they've gotten their first paying customer/repair job under their collective belts.

Is it just me, or can anyone else hear Jerri Ryan's Seven of Nine voice when Bubbles makes that statement  in the last Panel.

I wasn't specifically hearing Jeri Ryan before, but I certainly will from now on.

So thank you, that's an excellent choice.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #126 on: 26 May 2017, 00:46 »

I think it's just played for laughs.  Bubbles didn't lose all of her memories from her time in the army and can probably remember some of the unpleasant experiences so Pintsize must be very revolting indeed if he can trigger that reaction.

I can understand Faye being concerned about ethics seeing as how her last employer was devoid of any, but I don't think Pintsize could be any worse with or without one.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #127 on: 26 May 2017, 00:47 »

Hmm... I've been imagining Tricia Helfer in Queen of Blades mode.
I wonder why Pintsize's notes are damp; has he been laundering money?  :claireface:

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #128 on: 26 May 2017, 00:49 »

I think that the point is, Faye, can you afford not to be the guys who make sexual organ emulators for perverted synthetics on a budget?

I was going to say... the correct response to Faye's question in panel 2 is: "How much money?"

TheEvilDog

« Reply #129 on: 26 May 2017, 04:47 »

I wonder why Pintsize's notes are damp; has he been laundering money?  :claireface:

Only if it was dirty.

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #130 on: 26 May 2017, 04:51 »

Time for our new entrepreneurs to follow good cosmetic-surgery practice: charge triple for steel dicks for fun in order to allow free help to those needing it in case of real butt-emergencies...

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #131 on: 26 May 2017, 05:43 »

It's been asked before, but the question bears repeating: Where does Pintsize get his money in the first place? He doesn't work, and as far as we know Marten doesn't give him an allowance.

On the other hand, is this a question we really want to have answered? Because the possibilities are disturbing.  :psyduck:
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #132 on: 26 May 2017, 05:45 »

I've long thought that Pintsize has a side about which we're only tangentially aware. I seem to remember a long time ago him mentioning to Marten that he owned a public-access internet pornography archive. If it's a paid subscription service, he could have a considerable personal income from that.

Additionally, Companion AnthroPCs might get a salary from Ellicott-Chatham Robotics for their time and work.
~~~~

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #133 on: 26 May 2017, 06:07 »

I've long thought that Pintsize has a side about which we're only tangentially aware. I seem to remember a long time ago him mentioning to Marten that he owned a public-access internet pornography archive. If it's a paid subscription service, he could have a considerable personal income from that.

Additionally, Companion AnthroPCs might get a salary from Ellicott-Chatham Robotics for their time and work.
That's how Beatrice launders her money. The money gets sent to Hannelore, who launders it again (while skipping the dry cycle), before it's forwarded to the companion AnthroPC.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #134 on: 26 May 2017, 07:03 »

Poor Bubbles is SO going "Ewwwwwwwwwwwww."

zioninavision

• Plantmonster
  • pi is basically 3 ; 1 and 4 do not round up
« Reply #135 on: 26 May 2017, 15:15 »

Perhaps her butt was the butt-rocket, and they've just been smashing in doors looking for help since then.

!! :)  :laugh: :laugh:   Or if they are separate entities, it is possible to have a headcanon (or maybe it could occur in universe??) wherein this mechanical butt encounters the butt rocket and they either a) become friends b) become friends and also procreate/multiply somehow, and eventually reenter the atmosphere together as a large family causing panic about a meteor shower at first. Instead of crashing into anything, they all find places to sit down!!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #136 on: 26 May 2017, 16:06 »

Better make sure it ain't counterfeit there Bubbles.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Gyrre

« Reply #137 on: 27 May 2017, 03:50 »

He may also dabble in the stock market. Perhaps penny stocks to be smart about it.

Here's hoping that that isn't sweaty sock money.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #138 on: 27 May 2017, 14:00 »

Pintsize, you're supposed to let the ink dry after it comes off the printing press before you try passing it to anyone!

At least, I hope that's why it's damp...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up