THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Sports Thread Take II  (Read 6751 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
The Sports Thread Take II
« on: 22 May 2017, 21:31 »

And all this to announce:

2017 NHL Western Conference Champions, baby. :D
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Ignominious

• The German Chancellory building
  • Account no longer in use - goodbye and good luck
Re: The Sports Thread Take II
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2017, 13:48 »

Nairo Quintana has just pulled an impressive jump into the lead of the GC of the Giro d'Italia ahead of Tom Dumoulin with Vincenzo Nibali closing the gap in 3rd position.

Having three riders of that calibre within such a small time gap at the top of the standings is pretty rare. Quintana is very tenacious and difficult to unseat once he's in the lead. Both he and Nibali are consummate climbers and capable of fighting hard on tomorrow's mountain stage as is 4th place Thibaut Pinot. Quite likely they'll be able to put more time in to Dumoulin. However, the final stage is a time trial. 29k of long rolling descent. Dumoulin is far better at TT's than any other podium contender and if they can't given themselves enough of a buffer tomorrow, he's guaranteed to take the win at the last minute.The tricky question now is, just how much faster can he go and how much time do they need?

Ignominious

• The German Chancellory building
  • Account no longer in use - goodbye and good luck
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2017, 14:28 »

The racing was keen today. However, after the hard work was over, 53s was all that separated 1st from 4th place, the same as the end of yesterday, they're just in a slightly different order. Looking at the roadbook for tomorrow's stage leaves the question unanswered and literally any combination of order of those 4 riders could be the result in the classification.

A Grand Tour GC hasn't been this close for this many riders in a long time. All that can be said with any certainty is that when the clock stops tomorrow for the final time, one rider will have caused upset and one rider will have missed out on a podium place by a shockingly narrow margin. I doubt a TT has been this exciting since Lemond vs Fignon.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3 on: 03 Feb 2019, 19:29 »

Congrats to the Patriots, but did anyone else watch and just not feel entertained? The game was pretty much a gridlock until the final few minutes, there were no stand out commercials let alone many  good ones, the halftime show was lackluster, and the internet is upset that they rickrolled a famous spongebob moment from a beloved episode where they played the super (bubble) bowl halftime show (song is sweet victory). I kind of felt like this super bowl wasn't very super.

It was just kind of meh.

:venonat:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #4 on: 03 Feb 2019, 19:45 »

I have sat down and watched parts, if not all, of 42 of the 53 Super Bowl games that have been played.

That was likely the worst that I've seen of the 42.
Just another Joe like 46

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #5 on: 04 Feb 2019, 07:19 »

I have sat down and watched parts, if not all, of 42 of the 53 Super Bowl games that have been played.

That was likely the worst that I've seen of the 42.
Somebody on Teh Phizbuk posted: "Both teams were playing like the winner goes to the White House."  :laugh:

I didn't realize yesterday was Superbowl Sunday until I got home at about 4:15 pm.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2019, 09:17 »

Congrats to the Patriots, but did anyone else watch and just not feel entertained? The game was pretty much a gridlock until the final few minutes, there were no stand out commercials let alone many  good ones, the halftime show was lackluster, and the internet is upset that they rickrolled a famous spongebob moment from a beloved episode where they played the super (bubble) bowl halftime show (song is sweet victory). I kind of felt like this super bowl wasn't very super.

It was just kind of meh.

:venonat:

I really like a good footbal game, but this I found the kitten bowl more entertaining than the superbowl this year.....(I do love cats so that helped)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2019, 09:48 »

It's funny that CBS's next televised football game was probably more exciting (and better officiated) than the Super Bowl.

(That game, btw, was the opener of the Alliance of American Football, where the San Antonio Commanders beat the San Diego Fleet, 15-6.)
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2019, 06:01 »

The Washington Nationals franchise has finally won a World Series game.

It took them 50 years to do so. They are the last of the 24 teams that were in the major leagues 50 years ago (1969) to have won a World Series game.

Only two teams have never won a World Series game in their franchise history. The Colorado Rockies have played in the World Series (back in 2005), but were swept by the Chicago White Sox. The Seattle Mariners have never even made it to the World Series since joining the AL in 1977.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: [1]   Go Up