THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Castlevania (Netflix)  (Read 15835 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
Re: Castlevania (Netflix)
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jun 2017, 15:56 »

Hm. Maybe leans a little more heavily than I like on its pedigree, but I'm definitely listening and interested.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2020, 17:37 »

So I finally took the plunge and checked this out. I finished seasons one (4 episodes all about 25 minutes long) and have started season 2 (8 episodes). They just released season 3 which is 10 episodes.

Wow.  This is good. The best way I could describe it is: its and adult Avatar the Last Airbender if it was written by the guys from Metalocalypse. I get A:TLA feeling when the team interacts with each other, the humor (but on a mature level), how one user uses magic looks like bending, and with Dracula being like the Fire Lord the team is trying to take out. The setting, subject matter, and visual brutality is more like a serious version of Metalocalypse. It does not pull punches with the brutality when all hell breaks loose (literally). Expect gore. I wont spoil it, but of the 4 episodes of season 1, the first episode sets up the story with episodes 2-4 about the team forming and their backgrounds. Its loosely based off the game Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse for the NES. Its surprisingly good.

I found it funny that all priests, bishops, and archbishops dress like modern day Cardinals. Historically speaking, I do believe the Catholic church was not influential in Wallachia during that time period (or ever), it should be the Eastern Orthodox church. Also based on the years given, Dracula (Vlad III) would be the ruling Prince of Wallachia. But hey its a fantasy story from an 80s NES game so w/e. Its just fun.

Definitely worth a watch.

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

TheEvilDog

« Reply #3 on: 01 Apr 2020, 20:14 »

Wallachia was Eastern Orthodox, but there was a sizeable Catholic minority at the time. And historically, Vlad Tepes and his father Vlad Dracul, belonged to the Order of the Dragon, which was a chivalric order that was modelled on the Order Militants of the Crusades, sought to defend the cross and fought the enemies of Christianity.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 01 Apr 2020, 21:11 »

I love how lavishly it's animated

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2020, 19:13 »

I've just seen season one so far, and I rather like how instead of doing the whole 'there is not God' thing, the demons tell the priest responsible for kicking it all off "You make God puke!"

And they're not just bashing on the Church either, there's humble clergy that actually are helpful and help protect the people of that one town by following Simon's instructions.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2020, 19:56 »

And they're not just bashing on the Church either, there's humble clergy that actually are helpful and help protect the people of that one town by following Simon's instructions.
"Are any of you actually a priest? Like ordained from by the church?" I am pretty sure the guy that raised his hand was the same guy that lead the villagers into the hut and confronted Simon. They look very similar if they are not the same person.

Gyrre

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2020, 06:42 »

"Are any of you actually a priest? Like ordained from by the church?" I am pretty sure the guy that raised his hand was the same guy that lead the villagers into the hut and confronted Simon. They look very similar if they are not the same person.
I'd have to watch that part again, I didn't clock it the first time.
a real-ass gaddam sword

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2020, 09:16 »

They announced there will be a 4th season recently.

Gyrre

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2020, 21:50 »

And it's reached the popularity point where "progressives" are trying to tear it apart for "being problematic".
'I hate popular thing x and am therefore somehow superior to others' status.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2020, 19:39 »

And it's reached the popularity point where "progressives" are trying to tear it apart for "being problematic".
:?
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Gyrre

« Reply #11 on: 30 Apr 2020, 23:12 »

:?
'Thing popular, must hate thing.' or 'Thing popular and therefore must be bad. Poke holes.'

EDIT: typo fix
« Last Edit: 01 May 2020, 17:48 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2020, 08:07 »

'Thing popular, must hate thing.' or 'Thing popular and therefore most be bad. Poke holes.'
Not seeing connection to "progressives" or "problematic".
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Gyrre

« Reply #13 on: 01 May 2020, 17:52 »

'Thing popular, must hate thing.' or 'Thing popular and therefore most be bad. Poke holes.'
Not seeing connection to "progressives" or "problematic".
Cancel culture, hence the quotation marks around "progressives".
a real-ass gaddam sword

Kaballund

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #14 on: 30 Jul 2022, 13:42 »

Am I the only one who saw the resemblance of Dracula to the real Devil?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #15 on: 11 Aug 2022, 05:09 »

I wouldn't know, I've never met the Devil... And I'm suspicious of anyone who uses "cancel culture" unironically.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #16 on: 23 Aug 2022, 05:53 »

I am just going to shortcut this entire unproductive conversation by asking if you would be so kind as to produce a single example of what you are referring to here, so if we are going to discuss it, it can be discussed in the concrete rather than in the abstract.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

« Reply #17 on: 06 Sep 2022, 12:14 »

I am just going to shortcut this entire unproductive conversation by asking if you would be so kind as to produce a single example of what you are referring to here, so if we are going to discuss it, it can be discussed in the concrete rather than in the abstract.

Criminy, I don't come into the ENJOY forum often.
Just had to do a quick search of "Castlevania is problematic" to find a few[1]. Basically anything involving Isaac or his backstory is accused of being racist or Islamaphobic. The scene where Taka and Sumi use sex to trap Alucard is accused of being homophobic.

Sorry if I ruined this thread for folks. 😓
I also apologize to whomever deleted their post in here that brought the thread back to the top if this unproductive conversation prompted it.

EDIT: [1] because trying to dig back to 2 years' worth of social media post would take forever
EDIT 2; Didn't take as long as I thought. There were also complaints that Hector and Isaac were 'gay-baited'.
« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2022, 17:17 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pages: [1]   Go Up