• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Holy shit, 3500 comics on Friday

Whoa!
Lots of comics
Space hot dog in 3496? I mean it's not in space but it could be made from similar ingredients.
This poll sucks but we still needed a thread
I'll fix it later probably

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3496 to 3500 (5 to 9 June 2017)  (Read 28504 times)

A Duck

• Curry sauce
Re: WCDT Strips 3496 to 3500 (5 to 9 June 2017)
« Reply #50 on: 06 Jun 2017, 23:14 »

Clinton really has come a long way from the Hannelore-stalking creep he used to be, hasn't he?

Also, between Clinton's situation with Emily, Brun and now apparently meeting this new girl, can we start calling this "Questionable Content 2: The New Generation"?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #51 on: 06 Jun 2017, 23:26 »

Only if you remember to feed her and clean up after her.

Oh yes. I'll take her for walks and brush her hair every day.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #52 on: 06 Jun 2017, 23:28 »

You know, I think it is possible to become a bit too aware of your instinctive impulses. It isn't always a good idea to spend to long meditating on why you have certain impulses; 'right impulse' and 'wrong impulse' should be enough sometimes. For example, telling a woman in whom you are romantically interested that she is attractive should generally work. Picking a fight with a 6' 5", 300lb+ muscle bound bouncer over said girl is probably a bad impulse that you should ignore. Beyond that, Clinton shouldn't worry too much about it.

Also, Clinton? I think that the time to work out if you're 'into' Brun was probably before you told her that you find her attractive.

I like this new girl! Can we keep  her?

Only if you agree to draw her tattoos for Jeph. From his Twitter feed, I get the impression that they vexed him quite badly.
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2017, 23:56 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #53 on: 06 Jun 2017, 23:35 »

She can always wear long sleeves

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #54 on: 07 Jun 2017, 00:57 »

Also, Clinton? I think that the time to work out if you're 'into' Brun was probably before you told her that you find her attractive.

Clinton is so inexperienced that he hasn't yet learned to distinguish between the excitement of "OMG a girl is talking to me!", the purely physical attraction and the desire for a meaningful relationship. Hence "This is all unexplored territory for me. I have no idea what I'm doing". I remember that feeling well.
At least Clinton is doing some exploring of that territory now, and learning something. Maybe he and Brun will explore and learn together...
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #56 on: 07 Jun 2017, 03:45 »

Hmmm...

And here was me thinking "Fuckboy" was the 'male' version of 'Woman of loose morals' ?? (or.. you know... "Slut")
I'm not sure 'what' Waitress Girl is meaning by it in this context?

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #57 on: 07 Jun 2017, 03:52 »

Fuckboy: asshole, douchebag, entitled misogynistic dickhead.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #58 on: 07 Jun 2017, 04:10 »

Fuckboy: asshole, douchebag, entitled misogynistic dickhead.

Damn this younger generation and its misappropriation of the previous generation's misappropriations!!
:grumpypuss:

Covenant

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #59 on: 07 Jun 2017, 04:26 »

Hmmm...

And here was me thinking "Fuckboy" was the 'male' version of 'Woman of loose morals' ?? (or.. you know... "Slut")

A boy whose entire motivation is to fuck.

And who takes non-reciprocation of their motivation as a personal insult.

Atherea

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #60 on: 07 Jun 2017, 05:04 »

Hmmm...

This is what I was thinking as well. I assumed that what Jeph meant was "Nice Guy" -- a guy who treats women like they owe him something for being nice and friendly, and will resent them if they "friendzone" him instead of sleeping with him.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #61 on: 07 Jun 2017, 07:13 »

I'm just wondering if Clinton's attraction is about to transferred to another.  He seems to fall for women working behind the counter.  First there was Emily and when that fell through he went to a bar and met Brun.  Now that this looks like it's going nowhere he may just start following our purple haired waitress around. 

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #62 on: 07 Jun 2017, 08:16 »

I'm just wondering if Clinton's attraction is about to transferred to another.  He seems to fall for women working behind the counter.  First there was Emily and when that fell through he went to a bar and met Brun.  Now that this looks like it's going nowhere he may just start following our purple haired waitress around.

Possibly...
I had the same thought, but also added in the subset of "Socially Unusual", which Emily and Brun definitely fit into...
Do mega tattoos fall into that category, though?

Covenant

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #63 on: 07 Jun 2017, 09:49 »

Clinton is utterly oblivious to this, which is par for the course being Clinton, but.... 

It appears to me that ms. Snarky Waitress is to some extent flirting with him.  At least she's being sympathetic, complimenting him on his honesty instead of making fun of him, empathizing about 'caveman instinct' instead of ridiculing it, and considers it worthwhile to see whether or not he's got an Asshole Reaction to the 'pity/sympathy' thing. And offering somebody a milkshake, instead of just quietly observing and/or gossiping with someone *else* about him out of his earshot, means she is being pretty straightforward about personally getting his attention.

This combination of things ... I wouldn't make assumptions, as such, but if I were Clinton I'd be at least considering the possibility that she might be flirting with me.  I like what I've seen of her so far and I'd at least be trying to find out more about what kind of person she is (and whether she's single).  If she makes a point of volunteering the information that she's not dating anybody in the next couple of strips, there'd be no doubt. 

And I don't know how Clinton measures attractive, but for me -- tall, healthy, fit, confident, snarky, got real curves -- daaaang, dat works!  She reminds me a lot of the woman who became my wife.  :-)

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #64 on: 07 Jun 2017, 11:01 »

This combination of things ... I wouldn't make assumptions, as such, but if I were Clinton I'd be at least considering the possibility that she might be flirting with me.  I like what I've seen of her so far and I'd at least be trying to find out more about what kind of person she is (and whether she's single).  If she makes a point of volunteering the information that she's not dating anybody in the next couple of strips, there'd be no doubt. 

Dunno how the kids these days rate those things, but I guess "hitting on the woman who just expressed sympathy for your getting a noncommittal response to admitting your attraction to another woman" might be seen as crossing the line into fuckboy-territory?

Or maybe Ms.IwantAllTheHaircuts is blessed with the kind of healthy self-assuredness that is not troubled by doubts of being the ersatz-crush?

P.S.: Not so sure I like that term - stringing ppl. along/putting ppl. on the back burner is a real thing, and "Don't be a fuckboy" seems like a perfect excuse/front for that kind of asshattery. Feels shitty having it done to you, and feels shitty doing it to another. IMO, when you do shitty things to other folk, you should feel shitty about it & then grow up a bit and stop doing them.
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2017, 13:47 by Case »
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #65 on: 07 Jun 2017, 11:29 »

Do mega tattoos fall into that category, though?

My experience is hardly universal, but I know more people my age and younger with tattoos than without.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #66 on: 07 Jun 2017, 15:03 »

Big step from "find out more about" and "hitting on."

Her behavior is consistent with wanting to get to know somebody.  Making friends is for today, and escalating to any actual "Hitting on" would come at least a few days later.  She may or may not have that specific possibility in mind, but even if she does there'll be at least half-a-dozen more things she wants to learn about him and his situation, and one of those things is whether he's interested enough in her to do likewise. 

For whatever reason right now she's acting like someone who wants to be a friend, and even if that's ALL there is to it that's a good thing.  A week from now they'll know more about each other and they may decide to be more than that. That may be her agenda, or it may not.  It may be okay with Clinton, and it may not.  But whether it is or not (heck, whether it even turns out that she likes boys in that way or not), paying attention when somebody is being friendly is both how you show respect and how you make friends.

However the kids measure things these days, "Just got a big ol' NOPE" translates to "available."

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #67 on: 07 Jun 2017, 18:33 »

Pictoria is a great name.

We can speculate on "Pictoria's Secret".

Right now she seems interested in learning more about Clinton. She has tattoos, he has a cyber hand. She may be wondering why he has such a lame tattoo.

Clinton may be wondering why a girl who is so obviously out of his league is bothering to chat with him.

What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #68 on: 07 Jun 2017, 20:44 »

Ms. Pictoria is certainly easy on the eyes.

Much better than what I've been mentally calling her: the Illustrated Woman.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #69 on: 07 Jun 2017, 20:46 »

Oh for cryin' out loud, CLIN-TON!

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #70 on: 07 Jun 2017, 20:51 »

Clinton may be wondering why a girl who is so obviously out of his league is bothering to chat with him.

He just found out.  :roll:
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #71 on: 07 Jun 2017, 21:07 »

Ms. Pictoria is certainly easy on the eyes.

Much better than what I've been mentally calling her: the Illustrated Woman.

Who are you, who can summon fire without flint or tinder?

There are some who call me...Tiw.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #72 on: 07 Jun 2017, 21:14 »

Whoa, not cool to make that kind of demand, even in jest.  Especially to a stranger (and customer!) who, if the last few minutes of interaction are any guide, will probably take you completely seriously.

tl;dr "dude, not funny."

Gyrre

« Reply #73 on: 07 Jun 2017, 21:25 »

Jeph : Michael Lee Lunsford (Supernormal Step) has a tutorial for doing detailed tattoos fast.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #74 on: 07 Jun 2017, 21:35 »

Bl**** H***! That's wrong on so many levels that I've lost count! Do we have the single worst character in the series so far? Makes Ms Ellicot-Chatham seem positively moral and altruistic...

Nice bit of writing though, to get you folks all warming to the character, and then have them turn out to have the morals and conscience of an gang of robbers hitting an accident and emergency department.

Unless of course we're heading for another little twist, and i've fallen for a deadpan 'joke' hook line and sinker, but even if that is the case its an appalling thing to do to a stranger whose vulnerabilities she has absolutely no idea of.
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2017, 21:43 by JimC »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #75 on: 07 Jun 2017, 21:42 »

Gotta earn a livin'
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #76 on: 07 Jun 2017, 21:47 »

Hhahahahah fuck that. I'd give her no more than 20 bucks and that's still stretching it.

Not funny, gal.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #77 on: 07 Jun 2017, 23:29 »

This is odd; she doesn't seem threatening (although Clinton has the sort of personality that would feel threatened nonetheless). I can't help but wonder what she needs that hundred dollars to cover. Food? Rent? Pusher? It may just be how my brain works but I think that there is a story here.

This reminds me of the behaviour of some of the children in care I work with and how their personality can suddenly swing around from friendly to demanding. "I need a hundred dollars, I need it now and I won't take any excuses. If you refuse, I'll self-harm myself at you until you comply!"

Not funny, gal.

Does she look like she's joking to you? Not to me.
~~~~

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #78 on: 08 Jun 2017, 00:13 »

I guess any thoughts of this being Clinton's third attempt at a relationship have gone out of the window.

However, it's Thursday, not Friday; so what twist can we find that might conceivably redeem this character and lead to a suitable cliff-hanger?  I can't think beyond her superior appearing to tell her to knock it off - but it needs more than just that.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #79 on: 08 Jun 2017, 00:20 »

However, it's Thursday, not Friday; so what twist can we find that might conceivably redeem this character and lead to a suitable cliff-hanger?  I can't think beyond her superior appearing to tell her to knock it off - but it needs more than just that.

Personally, I'm thinking that Clinton is gong to face an 'embarrassment of riches' scenario.

First Pictoria says "Only kidding; you're cute in a gullible and easily-intimidated way! I'd date you even if that other girl won't!" Then he goes outside to run into Emily, who says that she has some spare time now and she'd really like a second date. He's just accepting when Brun texts him saying "Having thought about it, I find you attractive too."
~~~~

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #80 on: 08 Jun 2017, 00:42 »

After yesterday's "hilarious" threatening to kill the chef, this really comes across as demanding money with menaces.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #81 on: 08 Jun 2017, 00:54 »

Best not to shake down the brother of a girl who lives with a retired killjoy.

And I wouldn't want to cross Faye too.

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #82 on: 08 Jun 2017, 01:51 »

First Pictoria says "Only kidding; you're cute in a gullible and easily-intimidated way! I'd date you even if that other girl won't!" Then he goes outside to run into Emily, who says that she has some spare time now and she'd really like a second date. He's just accepting when Brun texts him saying "Having thought about it, I find you attractive too."

I clicked on "like" because I thought it was funny and life is horribly like that sometimes.
I don't think it's likely to happen though: elaborate comedy setups like that are not quite Jeph's style.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #83 on: 08 Jun 2017, 02:31 »

I clicked on "like" because I thought it was funny and life is horribly like that sometimes.
I don't think it's likely to happen though: elaborate comedy setups like that are not quite Jeph's style.

But life *does* work like that, often.

The number of friends who bemoan the fact that their love lives have gone...

Single.. single...single...single...
In a relationship...
WHOA!!! Where are all these flirty women coming from!

... is far to high to not be the norm.
(Apparently it's to do with the change in attitude of someone in a new relationship - more confident, maybe taking a bit more care of their appearance etc...)

Except... Clinton hasn't done any of those! :)
Covenant

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #84 on: 08 Jun 2017, 05:47 »

Actually he did: All in one night whilst on his date with Emily. He's run with it since then and seems to have found a happy medium between 'Old' Clinton and 'Doing whatever will impress Emily' Clinton. It is entirely possible that the result is pleasing to the ladies but his lack of self-confidence has been leading him to reject hints when they come his way.
~~~~

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #85 on: 08 Jun 2017, 07:49 »

Her good advice came down to "Don't be a fuckboy."

This'd probably be funnier to me if she'd actually said anything worth a damn, but she hasn't, so it's a really hollow punchline.
oh god

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #86 on: 08 Jun 2017, 08:08 »

Latest comic had me going "What."

He made no agreement to purchase her advice and she has no grounds for demanding money.

(It WOULD be funny if the next comic had her manager scolding her & apologizing to Clinton...)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #87 on: 08 Jun 2017, 08:10 »

Latest comic had me going "What."

He made no agreement to purchase her advice and she has no grounds for demanding money.

You do realise that its not a sale of services, its her mugging him?

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #88 on: 08 Jun 2017, 08:12 »

Not funny, gal.
Oh, I knew that. My comment was more in the lines of "you do not amuse me anymore as a character because you are terrible".

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #89 on: 08 Jun 2017, 08:13 »

I want her lipstick! It's what? A violet tinged Neutral???

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #90 on: 08 Jun 2017, 08:32 »

Actually he did: All in one night whilst on his date with Emily. He's run with it since then and seems to have found a happy medium between 'Old' Clinton and 'Doing whatever will impress Emily' Clinton. It is entirely possible that the result is pleasing to the ladies but his lack of self-confidence has been leading him to reject hints when they come his way.

EXCEPT...

He's still single!  :)
Covenant

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #91 on: 08 Jun 2017, 08:37 »

Not funny, gal.
Oh, I knew that. My comment was more in the lines of "you do not amuse me anymore as a character because you are terrible".

Yeah, this one *jarred* for me , too.
(Seems to be a theme this week in the webcomics I read!)  :)
Covenant

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #92 on: 08 Jun 2017, 10:19 »

Honestly, unless she literally takes the money from him, I'd assume she was joking.

Clinton is really easy to mess with, and she seems the type who would zero in on that really quick. I'm surprised that people really think she is serious.

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #93 on: 08 Jun 2017, 12:03 »

Honestly, unless she literally takes the money from him, I'd assume she was joking.

Clinton is really easy to mess with, and she seems the type who would zero in on that really quick. I'm surprised that people really think she is serious.

I assumed this too - my friends make jokes like this with me all the time (and like Clinton, I'm usually not perceptive enough to realise they were joking) but it's never meant in a malicious way.

vodyanoi

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #94 on: 08 Jun 2017, 15:05 »

I dunno, it seems to be a running theme with Clinton being abused by women.  I've just assumed that Jeph has a fetish at his point.

Mehre

• Plantmonster
« Reply #95 on: 08 Jun 2017, 16:23 »

I agree with people saying she is just messing with him or maybe it was failed attempt at a joke. I suppose we will see in few hours how both of them will be little bit embarassed by it, maybe one of them will apologize. That being said i was quite surprised by that last panel.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #96 on: 08 Jun 2017, 16:42 »

i think we're all agreeing here this is probably a joke, just a really shitty cross-the-line joke from a stranger you've known all of two minutes, yeah?
oh god

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #97 on: 08 Jun 2017, 17:42 »

I honestly don't see the big deal, really. He asked for a suggestion, she gave a suggestion, they laugh, and then she confirms, nope, that's my suggestion. (I doubt she'll take it if offered, though)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #98 on: 08 Jun 2017, 17:45 »

I honestly don't see the big deal, really. He asked for a suggestion, she gave a suggestion, they laugh, and then she confirms, nope, that's my suggestion. (I doubt she'll take it if offered, though)

I'm suggesting its daylight robbery.

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #99 on: 08 Jun 2017, 18:44 »

Comic's up!

And apparently Seven has become Steven.

(Or maybe I'm missing a meme or something. Wouldn't be the first time.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up