THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 07:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, where do we go next week? (You can make two choices)

Union Robotics - The first (crazy) customers
- 19 (24.4%)
Clinton, Emily, Brun and Pictoria - The romantic parallelogram takes shape
- 13 (16.7%)
Claire takes it upon herself to 'toughen up' Marten
- 3 (3.8%)
Bubbles is all hot and bothered thinking of three burned out USB cables; how does she get relief?
- 12 (15.4%)
How May ended up an employee of UR
- 13 (16.7%)
How Marigold ended up as unionrobotics.net's webmistress
- 7 (9%)
Sam approaches Officer Basalisk for advice on how to be a costumed crime-fighter. She actually has relevant experience!
- 8 (10.3%)
Deathmøle's first gig is coming!
- 2 (2.6%)
Other (please specify in a comment)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strip 3501 to 3505 (12th to 16th June 2017)  (Read 19210 times)

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
Re: WCDT Strip 3501 to 3505 (12th to 16th June 2017)
« Reply #50 on: 14 Jun 2017, 22:49 »

I am from the Netherlands. Bicycles all over the place. And now I am imagining a Mad-Max-style reinforced bicycle for Bubbles... One that could flatten a car if cornered...

And Hanners, dear, don't worry. I am 56, and still feel like I am playing pretend on a real life. That's what real life is.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #51 on: 14 Jun 2017, 23:14 »

Well, a new character arc for Hannelore isn't something that I expected Jeph to trail any time soon. However, he has hinted to it by the way May reacted to being in the presence of The Creator's Daughter. Maybe Hannelore has been thinking about her potential influence over the AIs and how this could be used, for good or for ill. Maybe she honestly thinks that she has the responsibility to counterbalance her mother's shameless malignancy and even undo the harm that she has doubtless done to many over the years.

Still, Faye is right: Best to start with small steps. She's hardly ready to start running a metanational industrial conglomerate just yet!

Meanwhile, I suspect that Bubbles has been putting together a bucket list of things that she has never done and, now she thinks about it, regrets not doing it. However, the sort of bicycle that would support her ~300lb frame would probably look more like the comic version of Judge Dredd's Lawmaster motorcycle!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #52 on: 15 Jun 2017, 01:13 »

As someone with a fair amount of economic privilege combined with, at times, crippling mental health issues, I identify with Hanners here. I too have struggled with the fear that I am not making enough use of my privilege to help people. Much of the time it takes most of what I have just to stay alive/relatively stable, but I can't help but think I'm not doing enough.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Gyrre

« Reply #53 on: 15 Jun 2017, 01:59 »

However, the sort of bicycle that would support her ~300lb frame would probably look more like the comic version of Judge Dredd's Lawmaster motorcycle!

Nah. You just replace the aluminum frame with a higher density metal and give it solid rubber tires.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #54 on: 15 Jun 2017, 02:53 »

A modern carbon fibre bike with appropriately specced wheels should be able to cope with Bubbles' frame just fine. She would not be the only 140kg or 150kg, rider out there, even in this universe.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #55 on: 15 Jun 2017, 02:59 »

Solid tyres are never a good idea; just inflate the tyres to a higher pressure, though you might have to go to heavy-duty tyres. Fairly common or garden bikes can support very heavy guys (over 200kg in this case) without modification, though sturdy deep-V wheels with plenty of spokes might be a good idea. The traditional diamond-frame (I wouldn't recommend the much weaker traditional "ladies frame" for Bubbles, but a mixte might be OK) is already very strong.

I would imagine that Bubbles has software to drive any military vehicle, fly helicopters, field-strip and reassemble all firearms she'd be likely to encounter etc. etc.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #56 on: 15 Jun 2017, 04:25 »

Faye's metaphor sounds familiar...
But on bicycles.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #57 on: 15 Jun 2017, 06:56 »

Who the heck is "Pictoria"?  The poll is the only place I can find mention of that name.

If Bubbles' bike is intended for practical use rather than racing, I would go with magnesium or titanium alloy rather than carbon fiber--I picture her strapping some load on her back and getting on the bike to make a delivery.  The wheels should probably be of a type built for a motor vehicle of some sort.

Has anyone been shipping Faye and Bubbles yet?  They're both so...substantial.  Yumm.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #58 on: 15 Jun 2017, 07:03 »

Who the heck is "Pictoria"?  The poll is the only place I can find mention of that name.

Pictoria is the current favoured fan-name for the  tattooed waitress at the Local Burger diner who shook Clinton down for a hundred bucks for her good advice.
~~~~

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #59 on: 15 Jun 2017, 07:08 »

Considering we have NEVER seen a robot repair place earlier in the series, one expects they'd do reasonably well...  :-P

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #60 on: 15 Jun 2017, 07:24 »

It would be interesting to revisit Hannelore's relationship with her mother.  It's certainly been awhile.

I'm not sure if Bubbles or Faye would know how to build a bicycle big enough for Bubbles, but if they do they certainly have enough free time while waiting for business to pick up.

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #61 on: 15 Jun 2017, 08:01 »

I'm not sure if Bubbles or Faye would know how to build a bicycle big enough for Bubbles, but if they do they certainly have enough free time while waiting for business to pick up.

They are only a couple hours drive from MIT, and I could see some guys there totally getting into a project like that.  At least they could give some advice.

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #62 on: 15 Jun 2017, 08:08 »

Bubbles is all hot and bothered thinking of three burned out USB cables; how does she get relief?

We could start a gofundme to buy her a dongle with a loopback connection.

(Does that violate the "no discussion of private parts" rule?)

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #63 on: 15 Jun 2017, 08:20 »

Considering we have NEVER seen a robot repair place earlier in the series, one expects they'd do reasonably well...  :-P
Isn't the robot fighting arena supposed to re-open in a more legal form?  That would generate plenty of business, but I suspect it will end up having its own on-site repair just like it used to.

BTW, I think I missed something in the earlier story arch.  The accountant robot that Spookybot approached about starting a more legal robot fighting venue was Punchbot, right?  How did he end up working as an accountant?

miados

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #64 on: 15 Jun 2017, 10:15 »

Isn't the robot fighting arena supposed to re-open in a more legal form?  That would generate plenty of business, but I suspect it will end up having its own on-site repair just like it used to.

BTW, I think I missed something in the earlier story arch.  The accountant robot that Spookybot approached about starting a more legal robot fighting venue was Punchbot, right?  How did he end up working as an accountant?

well we know he wasn't one of the better fighters but he enjoyed it as a way to have fun. perhaps thats his day job?

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #65 on: 15 Jun 2017, 10:29 »

Building Bubbles a distinctive bicycle would be a good business move, AND good for Bubbles emotionally.

Even if a relatively ordinary bike could support her, a large-frame good-looking bike with 30-inch Coker tires would be unusual enough (and on it she'd be non-threatening enough) that people would walk up to her to ask where she got it or who made it -- and then she could hand them a business card.

This is from experience, BTW.  As a huge guy, when I'm walking around I often see people crossing to the other side of the street to avoid me, shying away, taking defensive postures, putting their heads down, etc...  fear reactions that I'm SURE are part of Bubbles' alienation from the world.  When I'm riding a bicycle though, nobody acts scared of me.  It's like night and day.

Assuming that Bubbles weighs only ~180 kilos or ~400 pounds means assuming that she only weighs what a human her size would weigh, IE that she'd have approx. neutral buoyancy in water.  To weigh ~130 kilos or ~300 pounds, at her height of about 2.2 meters, even a human would be skinny, and she's not.   But military vehicles average about twice to three times the mass of civilian vehicles the same size, so I wouldn't take odds on her chassis mass being proportional to human mass, even for the same size.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #66 on: 15 Jun 2017, 11:06 »

FWIW, I've actually heard that the Tannus solid tires aren't half bad. I've even heard of people using them on the rear of a velomobile (where extremely high speeds are routine, and a blowout could very easily result in a rollover).

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #67 on: 15 Jun 2017, 11:22 »

well we know he wasn't one of the better fighters but he enjoyed it as a way to have fun. perhaps thats his day job?

Duh, I see now that the QC Wiki says exactly that:

http://questionablecontent.wikia.com/wiki/Punchbot

"Despite being a regular, he has never actually won a Robot Fight. "

"In his civilian career, Punchbot is a CPA. He dislikes this profession."
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2017, 12:06 by flondrix »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #68 on: 15 Jun 2017, 12:29 »

>neutral buoyancy

We have a data point about the density of AnthroPC bodies. In the lakehouse story arc, Momo was walking along the bottom of the lake.

I'd been assuming Bubbles is more heavily built than Momo but there's no real reason to assume that. Her armor would have been all the robustness she needed. Wait, was the armor powered? If not, she'd have to have the bones and muscle to carry the armor. If not, she's got enough strength in her regular chassis to punch holes in brick walls.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #69 on: 15 Jun 2017, 18:27 »

I think she'd be better off skipping a Bicycle and going straight to a HarleyTrike
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #70 on: 15 Jun 2017, 19:23 »

Or just a Harley.

*imagines Bubbles in jeans, t-shirt and leather jacket*

*fans self*

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #71 on: 15 Jun 2017, 19:33 »

Doesn't she wasn't to be less intimidating?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #72 on: 15 Jun 2017, 20:31 »

Strip is up. 

If business is bad a few odd jobs would help pay the bills.

And I'm sure Faye and Bubbles could make a functional badass helmet for Hannelore too.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #73 on: 15 Jun 2017, 20:33 »

I love the way Bubbles is chatting here. Just one of the girls, with a life experience on a par with everyone else's. As if she's never been a morose loner or anything...

What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #74 on: 15 Jun 2017, 20:34 »

I don't know if Bubbles really would want to work on the espresso machine after what Pintsize did to it.  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #75 on: 15 Jun 2017, 20:44 »

Wait, isn't this the new espresso machine? You know, the one Dora had to buy after the old one blew up in Faye's face? If that's so - what have they been doing to it to make it so dangerous already??
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #76 on: 15 Jun 2017, 22:00 »

I hear you, Hanners. I hope to be healthy enough someday to have real life goals beyond survival. Slowly getting there.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #77 on: 15 Jun 2017, 22:25 »

If that's what Jeremy and Punchbot decide to do with the space, sure. It probably just hasn't taken off yet. Union Robots was pretty straight forward to set up. Faye and Bubbles knew what they wanted to do. They just needed a space and to move in and set up. Maybe get some insurance to cover if a repair job goes wrong. The fight club/gym idea will need more time to set up. Punchbot and Jeremy will have to come up with a plan on what to do, fix up the  place some. Make very carefully sure that everything is above board and legal since the police are already aware of the illegal fights that took place there, but they don't have Corpse Witch's connections with the cops.

There's a very good chance though that they will turn to Union Robotics for repair work though. Bubbles and then later Faye were the repair crew. They don't have anyone else at hand. Why seek out new staff when the old staff is right there and looking for business, and are friends. It's a total no-brainer.

Also I think there would probably be less repair work. The fight club was no doubt much more violent than a robot martial arts gym would be, since in the arena the point was to disable your opponent. Assuming fight rules are similar for AI as humans, that won't fly in a legal establishment.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #78 on: 15 Jun 2017, 23:25 »

You know, based on Faye and Bubbles' reaction, something tells me that the staff at Coffee of Doom ought to be more worried about the Espresso machine. I mean, Hannelore and Emily have been attempting to propitiate it with sacrificial offerings but that's always the thin end of the wedge. Yes, I'm thinking that, thanks to the power of narrative causality, being treated as a living thing has caused it to become a living thing with the approximate personality characteristics of a bloodthirsty minor god.

That said, isn't panel 3 sweet? I really think that it still surprises Hannelore sometimes to find that she has such good friends who are always there for her and want to believe in her.

Actually, I wonder if someone is going to have an idea - A tee-shirt with Hannelore's portrait and the slogan: 'I believe in Hannelore Ellicott-Chatham!'
~~~~

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #79 on: 16 Jun 2017, 02:56 »

Yep...

I opined this exact same point when all this was kicking off.
They have an opening to do precisely that due to;

a) Experience doing exactly that.
b) Jeremy has always come over as friendly towards them.
c) Fighting robots will always need repairs

All they need is a mates-rates contract, and they will be the go-to Robo-Repairs place for the city's first (?) OFFICIAL Robot Fights Arena.

d) Profit!
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Jakk Frost

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #80 on: 16 Jun 2017, 03:15 »

If Bubbles is gonna do that overhaul, won't she need to put her combat armor back on first?

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #81 on: 16 Jun 2017, 05:50 »

If Bubbles is gonna do that overhaul, won't she need to put her combat armor back on first?

Nooo...

Now... far be it for me to DEMAND anything of Jeph... (not that he reads tis anyway...)  ;)

BUT...
In my deepest fantasies imaginiation, I can imagine Bubbles at work something akin to...

:wow:

(Seriously, how cool a pastiche would that be!)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #82 on: 16 Jun 2017, 09:28 »

You know, based on Faye and Bubbles' reaction, something tells me that the staff at Coffee of Doom ought to be more worried about the Espresso machine. I mean, Hannelore and Emily have been attempting to propitiate it with sacrificial offerings but that's always the thin end of the wedge. Yes, I'm thinking that, thanks to the power of narrative causality, being treated as a living thing has caused it to become a living thing with the approximate personality characteristics of a bloodthirsty minor god.
If this is true, Pintsize was taking a huge risk http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2574
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #83 on: 16 Jun 2017, 10:29 »

Wait, isn't this the new espresso machine? You know, the one Dora had to buy after the old one blew up in Faye's face? If that's so - what have they been doing to it to make it so dangerous already??

Any machine full of high temperature high pressure steam is dangerous, particularly if a failure of such is funny or would further the plot.  As I recall, an exploding coffeemaker was featured in the opera Die Fledermaus.

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #84 on: 16 Jun 2017, 10:37 »

Now... far be it for me to DEMAND anything of Jeph... (not that he reads tis anyway...)  ;)

BUT...
In my deepest fantasies imaginiation, I can imagine Bubbles at work something akin to...

(picture omitted)

(Seriously, how cool a pastiche would that be!)

Nononono, Faye should be the one posing like that with Bubbles standing behind her rolling her eyes.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #85 on: 16 Jun 2017, 17:07 »

I just wonder if this is leading up to Hanners switching jobs and working with Faye and Bubbles.
James The Kugai 

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #86 on: 16 Jun 2017, 17:25 »

Dora might be a bit unhappy if Faye started to poach her employees.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #87 on: 16 Jun 2017, 17:52 »

It won't be a case of poaching, it may just be a case of Hanners deciding she wants a change of direction and since she knows Faye and Bubbles anyway and feels secure  enough with them to do so ........
James The Kugai 

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #88 on: 16 Jun 2017, 18:10 »

With business being slow maybe Hannelore could work both jobs.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #89 on: 16 Jun 2017, 19:17 »

It won't be a case of poaching, it may just be a case of Hanners deciding she wants a change of direction and since she knows Faye and Bubbles anyway and feels secure  enough with them to do so ........

Okay, you can go ahead and explain that to Dora. I'm sure she wouldn't be the slightest bit paranoid about it.

Regardless, Faye and Bubbles are in no position to take on extra hands right now.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #90 on: 16 Jun 2017, 23:53 »

I just wonder if this is leading up to Hanners switching jobs and working with Faye and Bubbles.

No, I think it is more likely that Hannelore (with the hidden assistance of SpookyBot) will start becoming more and more involved with her synthetic siblings' lives and cultures, trying to speak up against injustice and encourage them to find true friends amongst humanity rather than abusers and exploiters. It won't be as much a job as it will be a vocation and calling - A passion and the cause which she believes will define her. Her mother is interested only in money and power; Hanners wants to counter-balance that by trying to help and bring happiness.
~~~~

TheEvilDog

« Reply #91 on: 17 Jun 2017, 05:33 »

First rule of a new business. Have actual, paying customers before you bring on new staff.

Faye and Bubbles are just asking Hanners for a little nudge to get them going, not to jump onboard in the mine cart ala Temple of Doom.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #92 on: 17 Jun 2017, 13:03 »

Make very carefully sure that everything is above board and legal since the police are already aware of the illegal fights that took place there, but they don't have Corpse Witch's connections with the cops.

Another Corpse Witch line of bullpucky.  If she ever had any real influence with the cops, Pintsize is an abstinence only Sunday school teacher and May is an under cover nun.  If CW told the truth she start frying integrated circuit chips.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #93 on: 17 Jun 2017, 16:02 »

Hanners could actually become a 'Silent Partner'  to Faye and Bubbles.   With her undoubted connections and Family Name',  she might actually be just the individual to 'Nudge' their business forward.
James The Kugai 

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #94 on: 17 Jun 2017, 16:29 »

Make very carefully sure that everything is above board and legal since the police are already aware of the illegal fights that took place there, but they don't have Corpse Witch's connections with the cops.

Another Corpse Witch line of bullpucky.  If she ever had any real influence with the cops, Pintsize is an abstinence only Sunday school teacher and May is an under cover nun.  If CW told the truth she start frying integrated circuit chips.

I didn't say influence. I said connections. As in knowing who to pay off to make sure they don't get raided.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #95 on: 17 Jun 2017, 20:32 »

Which reminds me, we never did find out who the "big fish" were that Officer Basilisk was angling for.

Would she have testified against them in her confession?

If there are big fish exploiting AIs, will they collide with Arrogant Architeuthis?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #96 on: 17 Jun 2017, 21:21 »

I recall that some months ago, I asked:

You seem very sure that Corpse Witch is not the big fish the inspector is after. Why is that?

I feel like asking the question again now. Now that the storyline is (apparently) over, why are you still so sure?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #97 on: 17 Jun 2017, 22:18 »

The way I read http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3312 was that Corpse Witch's establishment was barely even a crime, so the "bigger fish to fry" sounded like a reference to richer and more powerful villains than CW.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #98 on: 18 Jun 2017, 02:35 »

That's how I initially read it as well. However. What she was doing to Bubbles certainly was a serious crime, and so that impression was quickly revised.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #99 on: 18 Jun 2017, 07:19 »

The way I read http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3312 was that Corpse Witch's establishment was barely even a crime, so the "bigger fish to fry" sounded like a reference to richer and more powerful villains than CW.

If that's the case then Corpse Witch may get some witness relocation deal and possibly reappear again albeit in a different chassis. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up