THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Predictions for the next major event in the QC cast's lives?

Clinton back-pedals so hard he actually travels 45 seconds into the past.
Faye accidentally invents a T-cog while working on an A.I. with a semi truck (lorry) for a body.
May gets Faye and Bubbles to give her wings (functional or decorative).
Marten proposes to Claire.
Faye accidentally invents a T-cog while working on an A.I. with a gorilla body. (Well that's just prime.)
Bubbles, Momo, Winslow, Punchbot, Melon, & Arthur find themselves as stars for a documentary on the everyday lives of A.I.
Faye accidentally invents a T-cog while working on Pintsize. (By the Pit!)
Brun and Clinton go on a date.
Brun and Elliot go on a date.
Brun goes on a date with Clinton and Elliot at the same time.
It turns out Brun has an identical twin sister.  Double dates!
It turns out Elliot has an identical twin brother. Double dates!
Emily makes contact with aliens.
Everybody does the sleep wonk zonk.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3511 to 3515 (26 June to 30 June 2017)  (Read 55194 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
Re: WCDT Strips 3511 to 3515 (26 June to 30 June 2017)
« Reply #200 on: 29 Jun 2017, 23:14 »

Compared to working in a call center?
That depends on which region you're calling. Lots of colorful language and ignorance of the exemptions to the NDNCL combined with "I no speak English" with a fake accent when calling California.  It's easier to complete surveys when calling New York City!

EDIT: Not sure how I forgot to mention National Do Not Call List exemptions ignorance.
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2017, 11:15 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #201 on: 29 Jun 2017, 23:24 »

Is everyone here a physicist?  :-P

Christ, no. My degree is a wet liberal arts subject and I'm a teacher in my day job.

I'm a biology major, but I teach high school physics, is that close enough?
(I learned more physics my first year teaching it than I did in my high school and college classes...)

Zog

• Plantmonster
« Reply #202 on: 29 Jun 2017, 23:47 »

Compared to working in a call center?
That depends on which region you're calling. Lots of colorful language combined with "I no speak English" with a fake accent when calling California.  It's easier to complete surveys when calling New York City!

I called people in southern California for about 15 months, then they switched me to calling nationally. I was astonished at how much easier it was.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #203 on: 30 Jun 2017, 01:04 »

Ah, call centre jobs. They are the fucking worst. I've worked in several, and one of them was comfortably the worst job I've ever had in my life.

I used to date an astrophysicist, but that's just vicarious physics.

My degree is in vicarious physics!
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #204 on: 30 Jun 2017, 01:22 »

You haven't been at work if you haven't stopped at least one fight from breaking out or forcibly ejected at least one increasingly antagonistic drunk!
Hopefully if you're good enough and have a reasonable clientele you can head it off before it gets to that stage.  However it may be that the choice is between unreasonable clientele and no clientele.

The physical side was never my task (or ability) but I do recall one time telling someone to sit down, shut up and behave and being conscious of less than the usual level of support from my colleagues. Anyway, the chap did what he was asked, so no problem, then my colleagues said, "err, Jim, you do know he's just come back from 5 years in the French Foreign legion don't you..."

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #205 on: 30 Jun 2017, 02:41 »

"A professor once told me, 'Astronomers are geologists with clean hands and a squint'."
-- Ludger Brink, The Dig (Lucasarts)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #206 on: 30 Jun 2017, 03:25 »

If there were any openings at the Horrible Revelation and Brun got the job would she have to provide her own 19th century clothing or would the bar cover that? 

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #207 on: 30 Jun 2017, 03:29 »

I'm pretty sure that it would be defined as 'work uniform'. Typically, the employer will provide it but you may have to cover wear and tear.

IIRC, the Horrible Revelation has a large wardrobe for customers so they can dress up if they want to. Marten and Steve look quite dapper in period costume!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #208 on: 30 Jun 2017, 05:00 »

I'm pretty sure that it would be defined as 'work uniform'. Typically, the employer will provide it but you may have to cover wear and tear.

IIRC, the Horrible Revelation has a large wardrobe for customers so they can dress up if they want to. Marten and Steve look quite dapper in period costume!

Yabbut I think she would need her own set of clothes that actually fit if it were a regular gig.  I don't see Brun tending bar wearing period women's clothing, so she would probably want a version of the male period bartender outfit that we saw Angus wearing, and that would not be standard or easy to find in her size.

I am certain that a place like Northhampton has people who could make or alter such clothing, but it would not be cheap.

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #209 on: 30 Jun 2017, 05:59 »

Come to think of it, there were women tending bar in the 1890's, weren't there?  I'm sure they wore something more practical than the women's garb I stereotypically associate with the period.  Still, traditional women's clothes have to fit, moreso than men's.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #210 on: 30 Jun 2017, 06:26 »

With today's strip I'm reminding that even 'nice' bars have their share of idiots. Especially in a college town. I do question the assumption that it is a nice bar though, since they have a bouncer who's job is to look intimidating and deal with people who just looking intimidating isn't enough. Other bars don't have bouncers on staff. They just trust the bartenders and police to deal with any problems. Like in the one that Brun used to work. She was pretty quick with the harpoon, so I'm guessing it's at hand for quick use.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #211 on: 30 Jun 2017, 06:45 »

With today's strip I'm reminding that even 'nice' bars have their share of idiots. Especially in a college town. I do question the assumption that it is a nice bar though, since they have a bouncer who's job is to look intimidating and deal with people who just looking intimidating isn't enough. Other bars don't have bouncers on staff. They just trust the bartenders and police to deal with any problems.
I agree. The only pubs or clubs I've been to that went to the expense of having bouncers, had them for a reason. And Elliot's reaction seems to confirm that the bar where he works has a reason for employing him. For Clinton it was a drama, but for Elliot "it was Tuesday".

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #212 on: 30 Jun 2017, 06:51 »

I am now picturing Elliot dressed up as M.Bison... and Clinton as Chun-Li.

Jakk Frost

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #213 on: 30 Jun 2017, 07:21 »

So apparently Clinton isn't familiar with the concept of why bars need to hire bouncers in the first place...

TheEvilDog

« Reply #214 on: 30 Jun 2017, 07:26 »

With today's strip I'm reminding that even 'nice' bars have their share of idiots. Especially in a college town. I do question the assumption that it is a nice bar though, since they have a bouncer who's job is to look intimidating and deal with people who just looking intimidating isn't enough. Other bars don't have bouncers on staff. They just trust the bartenders and police to deal with any problems.
I agree. The only pubs or clubs I've been to that went to the expense of having bouncers, had them for a reason. And Elliot's reaction seems to confirm that the bar where he works has a reason for employing him. For Clinton it was a drama, but for Elliot "it was Tuesday".

Having lived in a college town and known a couple of bouncers, most of the time their job is to check the IDs of people coming in or to turn away drunks. Only rarely would a bouncer have to toss someone out. Honestly, the worst places weren't the bars, but the small fast food places near them.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #215 on: 30 Jun 2017, 07:43 »

Ok, so we have a physicist, at the very least.

But do you know how fast they are?
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2017, 07:59 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #216 on: 30 Jun 2017, 08:25 »

Come to think of it, there were women tending bar in the 1890's, weren't there?  I'm sure they wore something more practical than the women's garb I stereotypically associate with the period.  Still, traditional women's clothes have to fit, moreso than men's.
http://www.shafe.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/manet_a_bar_at_the_folies-bergere_1881.jpg
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2017, 08:33 by Nepiophage »
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #217 on: 30 Jun 2017, 08:31 »

How many physicists do you need to get a de Broglie wave going?
ℏ/2
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #218 on: 30 Jun 2017, 08:42 »

Has anyone else noticed a discrepency between the number of the comic as given in the image, and the number that appears in the URL?  For example, "Number 3267: Smartasserole" is http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3272  Now, it makes sense that filler strips or something could cause that, but I see that the current strips (like 3515) are in synch.  That means that somewhere in between the URL numbers held still or backed up and let the strip numbers catch up.    Does this mess with the Wiki entries, that refer to strips by number?

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #219 on: 30 Jun 2017, 09:00 »

http://www.shafe.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/manet_a_bar_at_the_folies-bergere_1881.jpg

Oh, My.  Yes, that is definately a dress that Has To Fit.  I would love to see Faye in that outfit.  I don't know if Brun would be willing to wear it, but having one made to fit her would not be cheap.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #220 on: 30 Jun 2017, 09:06 »

I see that garment as less "fitting" and more "constricting."
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #221 on: 30 Jun 2017, 09:22 »

I see that garment as less "fitting" and more "constricting."

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #222 on: 30 Jun 2017, 11:07 »

Going through some old strips, I see now that we've already seen what Elliiot imagines Brun would be wearing if she worked there, and he would have a more accurate idea than any of us.

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3287

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #223 on: 30 Jun 2017, 11:42 »

Or where they are exactly?
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #224 on: 30 Jun 2017, 15:48 »

Yes.

and Clinton as Chun-Li.
The Street Fighter movie Chun-Li???  :-o
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

TheEvilDog

« Reply #225 on: 30 Jun 2017, 16:04 »

That movie doesn't exist.

There is no Jean Claude Van Damme as Guile Street Fighter movie.

Nope, no such thing.

(although Raul Julia was a delight)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #226 on: 30 Jun 2017, 16:56 »

So apparently Clinton isn't familiar with the concept of why bars need to hire bouncers in the first place...

Well, given that the first time we saw Clinton in a bar, he intended to simply wait for a bus and not order a drink at all, it's probably safe to say that he's not exactly a regular.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #227 on: 30 Jun 2017, 18:07 »

Actually, Clinton, this IS a nice bar... for a college town. College town bars tend to be full of people who haven't yet learned how to handle their liquor very well.

Is everyone here a physicist?  :-P

Christ, no. My degree is a wet liberal arts subject and I'm a teacher in my day job.

I'm a biology major, but I teach high school physics, is that close enough?
(I learned more physics my first year teaching it than I did in my high school and college classes...)

Computer programmer here... when I'm employed.

Meanwhile, something tells me that Brun desperately wants to work in a rough bar. Remember how positively she reacted to the news that the Horrible Revelation got to the regional finals of the Bar Fight competition?

Well, yeah. She likes brandishing her harpoon, remember? You don't get too many opportunities to do that at a nice bar...
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2017, 18:16 by Storel »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #228 on: 30 Jun 2017, 18:24 »

It is a nice Bar

It only happens once a week.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

retrosteve

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Very slow tourist
« Reply #229 on: 30 Jun 2017, 18:49 »

Meanwhile, something tells me that Brun desperately wants to work in a rough bar. Remember how positively she reacted to the news that the Horrible Revelation got to the regional finals of the Bar Fight competition?

It's too bad that CW's robot fighting ring is down for the count; I think Brun would really have enjoyed it.
Thinks too much.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #230 on: 30 Jun 2017, 20:40 »

Where I work, dealing with drunks would be a step (or five) down.

That said, when I retire I do NOT plan on becoming a bouncer.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

retrosteve

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Very slow tourist
« Reply #231 on: 02 Jul 2017, 09:55 »

You might consider that Renee is pretty much Faye before she hit bottom and bounced....  :-P

Disagree. Faye was abrasive and mean at time, but it was petty and had no spite or fear behind it.  At worst, Faye was alcoholic and ultra-defensive about it, but never mean-spirited. Faye was, even when being mean, doing it out of a twisted sense of humor.

Renee appears to be just as mean deep down as she is on the surface. She appears to really hate and distrust men, to the point where even a man she's never seen, who has been mentioned secondhand as a helpful guy, is presumed evil. And not just for laughs. Renee hasn't said anything funny that I can recall. She's just a misanthrope, possibly with previous trauma that she's obviously not going to try to work through. A seething victim.  Not my favorite sort of person.
Thinks too much.

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #232 on: 02 Jul 2017, 11:03 »

I think Renee is just a perfect opportunity to reintroduce Angus to the story. He is her ex, too, after all.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #233 on: 02 Jul 2017, 11:22 »

Doubtful, considering that if we were to believe Angus, their break up was even worse than his and Faye's and so that bridge has long since burned down and swept away by the river.

Not to mention that Angus probably has more of a friendly connection with Marten (ex-girlfriend's best friend) and Marigold (friends enough to be roommates). So he were to come back, it would probably be through them.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #234 on: 02 Jul 2017, 17:03 »

I doubt we'll see Angus again anyway since he was sent to Za'ha'dum

;D    :claireface:
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #235 on: 02 Jul 2017, 17:35 »

... I thought he was on the Colbert Report?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #237 on: 02 Jul 2017, 20:36 »

I think it was The Nightly Show.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #238 on: 03 Jul 2017, 11:30 »

So not the Corbett Report? He would seem somewhat suited for the oft sarcasm of The New World Next Week podcast.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up