Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What New Hand for Clinton?

A genuine like-for-like replacement;
A Union Robotics repair job (with some enthusiasm-created customisations);
Something horribly primitive that Brun loves (A pincer or something);
Something horribly advanced that creeps everyone out (Biomimicry to a very high degree);
Something military-grade sourced from a dodgy vendor on eBay (with such gimmicks as a magnetic clamp, a laser gun and spy sensors);
He doesn't need a replacement; he has two or three perfectly good spares at home;
Emily grows a new bio-hand using something she whipped up in Comp Sci class;
A spooky second-hand robo-hand that seems to have its own personality... and agenda!
Other (please specify in a comment)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3516 to 3520 (3rd to 7th July 2017)  (Read 45189 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

So, in commemoration of the 4th of July - the day when more hands are lost to recreational accidents than any other - I thought I'd give the forum a chance to speculate on how Clinton's broken hand may be replaced and with what.

I'm sticking with my idea that Clinton goes to Faye and Bubbles for a quick fix. Faye can't help but be afflicted by feature-creep and Clinton ends up with a fixed Robo-hand with several add-ons that Faye felt would be 'useful' including a pen-torch, a rotating tool socket and a wireless taser. Bubbles is carried along by Faye's enthusiasm for a challenging project (given the complexity of Robo-Hand's control systems and sensor feedback) and only later realises that the repaired unit's specification is probably just a mite bit illegal. All parties experience some... angst... as a result.

As for the strip this week? I'm expecting a continuation of the night at the bar. Maybe we'll check in with Claire and Marten or maybe Renee will come storming over to demand to know why Clinton made Elliot cry, only to be silenced by Clinton's fearful apology for 'upsetting your boyfriend'!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
Re: WCDT Strips 3516 to 3520 (3rd to 7th July 2017)
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jul 2017, 15:20 »

I voted for the replacement hand with a mind of its own. Clinton would definitely benefit from having an evil hand.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jul 2017, 15:30 »

I voted for the replacement hand with a mind of its own. Clinton would definitely benefit from having an evil hand.

'Would'? (1911)
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jul 2017, 15:40 »

A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #4 on: 02 Jul 2017, 16:00 »

I think Faye and Bubbles will make him a perfectly fine replacement hand.

With flame decals and a spoiler...  :-P

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #5 on: 02 Jul 2017, 16:32 »

A visit to Union Robotics is indeed on the cards - no crystal ball required there! Unless Clinton is loaded, though, I don't see much feature creep happening.

On the other hand, I like the idea that he might go for a different colour this time, or even some cool artwork.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #6 on: 02 Jul 2017, 19:58 »

Comics up.

And yeah, all guys over a certain height tend to become a jungle gym when there's some alcohol involved.

And yes, this comes from experience.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #7 on: 02 Jul 2017, 20:28 »

I was a jungle gym for a friend's two children. (5' 10" and scrawny here.)

In http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3300 we get a quick look at the Northampton bar scene -- including the Horrible Revelation. They weren't hiring at the time, or Brün might be working there now.

What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #8 on: 02 Jul 2017, 20:38 »

Answer: "Not since High-school."

Question: What do you do for fun?  Tear hockey pucks in half?  :psyduck:
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #10 on: 02 Jul 2017, 21:07 »

Claireface in panel three is ...

"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Perfectly Reasonable

« Reply #11 on: 02 Jul 2017, 21:17 »

And Brün's deadpan 'wheee' made me giggle.
(and this is when she's liquored up...)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 02 Jul 2017, 21:43 »

Hopefully, that waitress didn't shake Clinton down for too much or the best Union Robotics can do is a claw.  Then again they created detachable buttocks for $75 so maybe a replacement hand isn't as much as I think it would be in their universe. 

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #13 on: 02 Jul 2017, 22:00 »

Now I'm really looking forward to Elliot meeting Bubbles...

(BTW, I put "Other" in the poll because I think it'll be an apparently primitive, though in fact horribly advanced, spooky second-hand robo-hand with a mind and agenda of it's own...)
« Last Edit: 02 Jul 2017, 22:05 by DaiJB »
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Gyrre

« Reply #14 on: 02 Jul 2017, 23:09 »

I'm torn between the enthusiastic UR repair and Emily whipping up a technorganic/bio-mechanical hand.

Also, I wonder how often Elliot ends up with drunk ladies swinging from his arms.

EDIT: *mechanical . DEATH TO AUTOCORRECT! !!
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2017, 11:46 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #15 on: 03 Jul 2017, 00:13 »

I think that we are towards the end of the characters' sojourn in the bar. Typically, when Jeph is writing these sorts of scenes, the strip where two of the characters are in a serious discussion and the others are acting increasingly silly is one or two strips before the "You're drunk; go home" event. Considering that the last time we had a scene like this finished with Bubbles coming to terms with the fact that she couldn't force Faye out of her life, I wouldn't be surprised if we get some manner of an outcome with the Clinton/Brun/Elliot triangle.

I must say, I love panel 3. Claire has this huge child-like streak in her that only ever seems to come out when she's drunk. However, it's the expression on Brun's face that's the revelation. She never realised that doing something like this could be fun and she's still trying to process it. However, I also suspect that she's copying Claire's behaviour in the hope that this is somehow socially appropriate and that that she's 'fitting in'. :wink: Seriously, Brun needs friends other than Renee and I think that Claire (and the rest of the girls in the main cast) are ideal for the job!

Here's what I'm thinking: Clinton is now suddenly becoming Martin's friend (as well as prospective brother-in-law). I think that we might be seeing more of him at the apartment to talk about things and to get advice. Marten doesn't know it but he's demonstrated repeatedly that he is a good mentor in lifestyle now that he's got his own act together.

Gotta say, I'm really looking forward to this week's strips. I don't imagine we'll see any resolution to our love-Z for quite some time, but I'm enjoying the ride.

(Also, Renee's sheer unlikeability as a person makes the default sorting a far from optimal way to collapse the wave function. It does seem like Elliot will come up short, but it's far from certain. I might hold out hope of a triad/V relationship forming twixt Brun/Clinton/Elliot...)

I agree; Jeph has no reason to finally resolve this any time soon. FWIW, I suspect that the final configuration will be Clinton with Emily and Brun with Elliot but I'm willing to turn out to be wrong with that. However, I do think that Brun will choose which man she wishes to date after tonight and we'll be following the consequences to both guys afterwards.

As for Renee, if she has any arc with Elliot it could have either a positive or negative outcome. Either way, she will work out that her behaviour really is dragging her down in terms of her relationships with others. What remains to be seen is if she is motivated to change the way Faye has changed or if she so resents the revelation about herself that she leaves (at least her current social circle and maybe even Northampton altogether to escape it.
~~~~

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #16 on: 03 Jul 2017, 02:00 »

I think Faye and Bubbles will make him a perfectly fine replacement hand.

With flame decals and a spoiler...  :-P

Ha! Called it.  Tho we'll have to see what the hand is....

avistel

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #17 on: 03 Jul 2017, 03:51 »

What kind of fucked up front raises do you have do to have 60 kg-ish lifting strength in your delts?

Raises with barely 20 kg per side make my arms scream, what kind of steroid-mutated gorilla person family does Elliot come from ?! And how do I join?

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #18 on: 03 Jul 2017, 05:35 »

Possible spoiler from Jeph's twitter
(click to show/hide)

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #19 on: 03 Jul 2017, 06:27 »

Possible spoiler from Jeph's twitter
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #20 on: 03 Jul 2017, 06:36 »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #21 on: 03 Jul 2017, 06:57 »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #22 on: 03 Jul 2017, 07:57 »

Well who remembers stuff they have LITERALLY TATTOOED ON THEIR FLESH ???

"I used to get lost a lot. So I had my address tattooed to the back of my hand. Then I forgot that I was moving to a different city. Those people were so confused when I walked in through the front door."

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #23 on: 03 Jul 2017, 08:39 »

(BTW, I put "Other" in the poll because I think it'll be an apparently primitive, though in fact horribly advanced, spooky second-hand robo-hand with a mind and agenda of it's own...)
IIRC Clinton's demonstration of his hands autonomous mode showed that it had a tendency for socially inappropriate behavior, though with more of a focus on boobs than butts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #24 on: 03 Jul 2017, 10:21 »

IIRC Clinton's demonstration of his hands autonomous mode showed that it had a tendency for socially inappropriate behavior, though with more of a focus on boobs than butts.

YDRC -> 1911

Gyrre

« Reply #25 on: 03 Jul 2017, 11:58 »

What kind of fucked up front raises do you have do to have 60 kg-ish lifting strength in your delts?

Raises with barely 20 kg per side make my arms scream, what kind of steroid-mutated gorilla person family does Elliot come from ?! And how do I join?
??? I'm 5'5" and I can carry 2 ladies of similar build around on my shoulders, one on each side.

If his hair were curlier, I'd guess Danish. Maybe Scottish and German?

a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #26 on: 03 Jul 2017, 12:47 »

You can carry a lot more weight directly on your shoulders than you can with a lateral deltoid raise. The deltoid muscle is relatively small.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

oddtail

« Reply #27 on: 03 Jul 2017, 12:56 »

You can carry a lot more weight directly on your shoulders than you can with a lateral deltoid raise. The deltoid muscle is relatively small.

Plus, it's a simple lever principle. Picking something up is not the same as holding it in an outstretched arm.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #28 on: 03 Jul 2017, 13:58 »

He's having well over 100kg (combined) hanging from his arms and he seems more surprised than physically strained. I'm, uh...I'm glad Elliot and Bubbles are on the same side.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #29 on: 03 Jul 2017, 14:24 »

To be fair, I think he is sweating a bit.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #30 on: 03 Jul 2017, 14:27 »

Elliott.

Bouncer, Baker's Assistant, and super strong impromptu Bar Entertainment/Gym Equipment.

An all round  mutitasker.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #31 on: 03 Jul 2017, 14:58 »

To be fair, you'd be sweating too if you just crushed a guy's cybernetic hand and now have his sister and a potential romantic interest hanging off you.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #32 on: 03 Jul 2017, 15:23 »

To be fair, you'd be sweating too if you just crushed a guy's cybernetic hand and now have his sister and a potential romantic interest hanging off you.

I never said I was surprised he was sweating - I'm surprised he isn't sweating a lot more!

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #33 on: 03 Jul 2017, 15:27 »

Maybe thry keep the place a bit on the cool side due to things heating up as the evening goes on

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #34 on: 03 Jul 2017, 16:08 »

If Jeph wants to keep things stirred up, he can always reveal that Elliott is related to Tai's friend, Bob.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #35 on: 03 Jul 2017, 20:10 »

Comics up and my god...the punsters have found each other!

We're all doomed.

Perfectly Reasonable

« Reply #36 on: 03 Jul 2017, 20:34 »

I don't get it.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #37 on: 03 Jul 2017, 21:20 »

Princess Celestia: Run.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #38 on: 03 Jul 2017, 22:23 »

I don't get it.

The last one needs to be said like a grrr: "You're under arrrrr(f)rest!"
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #39 on: 03 Jul 2017, 22:53 »

Maaartenn, Brun's stealing your girlllfriennnd...
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #40 on: 03 Jul 2017, 23:36 »

I think we have all been in situations where we have seen drunks (or been drunk enough so that it is us) react to a completely unfunny 'quip' as if it was the best joke in all the world ever! Yes, I suspect that Brun has made a friend for life and I suspect that is going to just make Clinton's existence that much more uncomfortable - Can he not find a woman who isn't also besties with his sister? :wink:

FWIW, I suspect that Claire and Brun will both have purgatorial hangovers tomorrow. I also hope that there will be a Noodle Incident that they can't remember but that Marten, Clinton and Renee keep on referring to in the vaguest terms whilst chuckling to each other about it.
« Last Edit: 04 Jul 2017, 00:16 by BenRG »
~~~~

Storel

« Reply #41 on: 04 Jul 2017, 00:58 »

??? I'm 5'5" and I can carry 2 ladies of similar build around on my shoulders, one on each side.

Maybe Dutch? They can get pretty large.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #42 on: 04 Jul 2017, 01:59 »

Weight on your shoulders is mostly leg strength - can you stand and move with that extra load?
Weight on your (extended) arms is mostly on the arms themselves, and all the stuff about levers applies (the further out they are, the harder it's gonna be).

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #43 on: 04 Jul 2017, 02:17 »

Shouldn't it be "Du er anholdt!"?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #44 on: 04 Jul 2017, 04:52 »

OK, Clinton, you can forget all about dating Brun. It's Claire and Brun from now on.  :-D
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #45 on: 04 Jul 2017, 05:55 »

Claire leaving Martin for Brun would definitely be an unexpected twist.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #46 on: 04 Jul 2017, 06:18 »

Panel 3 had me wondering.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #47 on: 04 Jul 2017, 06:37 »

Maaartenn, Brun's stealing your girlllfriennnd...

I don't think Claire had many girl friends before dating Marten.  Meeting other women she can hang with is a good thing.

Of course it could lead to one of those "who gets custody of the friends" situations if Claire breaks up with Marten or Clinton has a falling out with Brun...

Gyrre

« Reply #48 on: 04 Jul 2017, 07:49 »

Weight on your shoulders is mostly leg strength - can you stand and move with that extra load?
Weight on your (extended) arms is mostly on the arms themselves, and all the stuff about levers applies (the further out they are, the harder it's gonna be).
I can walk around carrying both of them and even jog a few paces.

Short and stocky with broad shoulders, a barrel chest, and plenty of leg strength. I'm the guy who gets to help the fork lifts get moving when the floor is too slick at work.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #49 on: 04 Jul 2017, 08:40 »

Maybe Dutch? They can get pretty large.

Perhaps Scandinavian a lot of the strong man competitors come from that area.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up