THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 10:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's going to the theme song for this week?

Six Million Dollar Man
SilverHawks
Deus Ex
Inspector Gadget
Robocop
Jason X
Star Wars

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3521 to 3525 (10th to 14th July 2017)  (Read 62531 times)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
Re: WCDT Strips 3521 to 3525 (10th to 14th July 2017)
« Reply #250 on: 14 Jul 2017, 10:11 »

Answering flondrik:

Not so much a sinister smirk but I read something of a calculating look.

Answering earlier conversation:
And HERE's a link to the comic that lends credence to the observation that Faye is "objectively hot." (Or at least more exothermic than average.)
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #251 on: 14 Jul 2017, 10:13 »

I found Angus less likable as he wore on; there was an emotionally manipulative aspect to his character I would have found repellent in a real-world person. (I'm thinking of the semi-smirk with which he told Faye "I love you" as he got on the train for his audition, discombobulating her for a very long weekend. After watching a few of the live-drawing feeds Jeph used to do, I concluded he never draws anything by accident.) And with Faye and Bubbles attuned to manipulativeness through their recent experience with CW, I can see Angus beating a hasty retreat.
+1

Perfectly expressed - not a classic abuser, but ... uncomfortably unwilling to keep a respectful distance from the line to 'user'-territory, is how it felt to me.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #252 on: 14 Jul 2017, 10:17 »

Before Faye-Angus was a thing in the strip, I remember a conversation he had with Marigold (the impromptu ballroom dance in her bedroom) in which he talked about dancing and the other things he learned in his private school. It would seem that crucial parts of Angus's development took place in an environment in which one is carefully taught and socialized that other people are there for your purposes.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #253 on: 14 Jul 2017, 11:28 »

Or, it could have just been a smile cos he was happy?
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #254 on: 14 Jul 2017, 11:57 »

MrNumbers clicks the comic link to relook at that smirk.

... What? That's... it? Oh. Uh, okay. Huh. No, I don't see it.

Yeah, Angus wasn't great for me, but the biggest problem was that the behaviours he liked and encouraged in Faye were the behaviours we know to have been pretty bad her. Something more obvious to us now, and something Angus himself wouldn't have been able to see then; They were the qualities he found attractive in her, after all, the idea that they would be detrimental to her isn't a conclusion he would come to himself.

At the same time, Faye was obviously in a super bad place in her life in a way that she wasn't actually dealing with, and she was otherwise holding Angus back from his own dreams over that. She got pretty damn unlikable right around the time Dora kicked her ass into gear by firing her and forced her to change, if you'll recall.

A loving relationship can still be bad without it being either of those people's faults, and that's kind of a scary thought to think.
oh god

TheEvilDog

« Reply #255 on: 14 Jul 2017, 11:57 »

After all, he's just kissed his girlfriend, told her he loved her and he's off for a once in a lifetime chance at going for his dream. Its also the smile of a guy who enjoys discombobulating his girlfriend because he finds it fun to see her flustered.

Yeah, Angus wasn't great for me, but the biggest problem was that the behaviours he liked and encouraged in Faye were the behaviours we know to have been pretty bad her. Something more obvious to us now, and something Angus himself wouldn't have been able to see then; They were the qualities he found attractive in her, after all, the idea that they would be detrimental to her isn't a conclusion he would come to himself.

At the same time, Faye was obviously in a super bad place in her life in a way that she wasn't actually dealing with, and she was otherwise holding Angus back from his own dreams over that. She got pretty damn unlikable right around the time Dora kicked her ass into gear by firing her and forced her to change, if you'll recall.

A loving relationship can still be bad without it being either of those people's faults, and that's kind of a scary thought to think.

I think the problem with Angus was that he was just too even-headed for the cast. He never really had the kind of problems that plagued the rest of the core cast - I mean, the worst that he can say was that he had to do dancing at his school. Well I had to learn ceili dancing in school and honestly, that didn't affect me adversely. Angus was just too calm and easy going to remain a core character and nothing he could do was going to help Faye in the long-run, because those were Faye's problems and hers alone.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2017, 14:07 by TheEvilDog »

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #256 on: 14 Jul 2017, 11:59 »

Yeah, I'm not seeing it either.  There is such a thing as reading too much between the lines.

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #257 on: 14 Jul 2017, 12:07 »

As I recall he didn't approve of the heavy drinking, which Faye got defensive about ("What?  So I need your permission to drink now?").  He did encourage the sass of course, but that has not gone away since Faye got her life on track--it seems to be an inherent property of Faye.  What self destructive behaviours did he encourage?

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #258 on: 14 Jul 2017, 12:11 »

On the subject of robots with libidos, it would appear that Samantha has good instincts.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #259 on: 14 Jul 2017, 13:36 »

:mrgreen:
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Dal Gurak

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #260 on: 14 Jul 2017, 14:21 »

*sees thread*

You know what, I think I'll go over waaaaaaaay over there and look at the thing.

*Reads thread*
*Is terrified to comment on anything and overall just waiting for things to explode*
*Sees this .gif*
*Is so happy*
*Saves .gif*
*It was all worth it*

Thank you.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #261 on: 14 Jul 2017, 14:59 »

Hmmmmm

I would surmise that Bubbles does have certain feelings for Faye but it unsure of herself or in approaching Faye about them. I suspect  that this may changes time goes on and they will have 'The Talk' about it.   It  shall be interesting to see what happens.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #262 on: 14 Jul 2017, 15:02 »

I have been restraining myself up until now but panel 5 is going into my mental lexicon as the illustration for the phrase "The lady doth protest too much". :-D

Since Jeph's title for today's strip was "Further protestation", I feel sure that he had that particular saying in mind all along...

Edit: I just noticed that the banner ad currently at the bottom of the comic page says "FREE SHIPPING, NO MINIMUM". Talk about context-sensitive advertising!  :laugh:

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #264 on: 14 Jul 2017, 16:04 »

:mrgreen:

Kinda tied the whole room together, dinnit?

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #265 on: 14 Jul 2017, 17:30 »

Hmmmmm

I would surmise that Bubbles does have certain feelings for Faye but it unsure of herself or in approaching Faye about them. I suspect  that this may changes time goes on and they will have 'The Talk' about it.   It  shall be interesting to see what happens.

The Talk 3, with a Georgia citizen saying motherfucker loudly several times.

(Also hi I'm trying to de-lurk)
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #266 on: 14 Jul 2017, 18:35 »

I found Angus less likable as he wore on; there was an emotionally manipulative aspect to his character I would have found repellent in a real-world person. (I'm thinking of the semi-smirk with which he told Faye "I love you" as he got on the train for his audition, discombobulating her for a very long weekend. After watching a few of the live-drawing feeds Jeph used to do, I concluded he never draws anything by accident.) And with Faye and Bubbles attuned to manipulativeness through their recent experience with CW, I can see Angus beating a hasty retreat.
I don't think I ever liked Angus very much. Maybe when he was being nice to Marigold.

To be clear, I thought that his caring  and kind treatment of her, especially when he learned that she had a crush on him, was his main redeeming feature. If he had only been featured in the comic as her room mate, I probably wouldn't have developed a negative opinion of him.
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2017, 21:38 by TheBiscuit »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #267 on: 14 Jul 2017, 18:43 »

Code: [Select]
[URL=http://www.example.com]This text is what will show up to describe the link[/URL]
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #268 on: 14 Jul 2017, 19:29 »

Code: [Select]
[Cool!]Nifty feature[/Cool!]
I didn't know about that trick.  Thank you!

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #269 on: 14 Jul 2017, 20:15 »

Another little gem--the original quote "No one is quite sure who decided it would be useful for artificial intelligences to posess libidos, but it is generally agreed that it would be more trouble than it is worth to remove it. Besides, the horny little buggers would revolt" appeared not in reference to Pintsize, but to Momo!

:laugh: :lol:

We actually haven't seen Marigold or Momo for awhile, at that.

That's the trouble with a huge cast, I guess....

Otl1973

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #270 on: 14 Jul 2017, 20:48 »

Certainly it's possible that the intent is to explore romantic (or even sexual) feeling between Bubbles and Faye - whether one-sided or reciprocated. However, it seems that it could simply be that Bubbles has not been emotionally close to anyone, at least since her squad was killed, and maybe ever, and she is experiencing with Faye her first close friendship (ever or since then, and likely her first that wasn't related to the military). That can be a very deep and personal thing - and confusing/embarrassing/awkward/whatever - without romance, let alone sex, being part of it. Jeph may well want to explore a (possibly one-sided) romantic attachment, but I'd be very happy if he didn't - I don't see the need for it.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #271 on: 14 Jul 2017, 22:21 »

Hmmmmm

The Talk 3, with a Georgia citizen saying motherfucker loudly several times.

(Also hi I'm trying to de-lurk)

Hi yourself - and please do!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #272 on: 15 Jul 2017, 00:06 »

Let's see if I can do this without the system reading it as code.

Another way is like this: 

You use the [url] tags in an extended way like this: "[url=https://cassland.org]My Website[/url]"; note that the url inside the [url] tag must not be in quotes, because this will cause problems (unfortunately, some other forum software requires quotes!). 

Quote this to see what I've done; it uses the [nobbc] tag (BBC = Bulletin Board Code) to prevent the tags being recognised. It also works on smileys:  :angelface: = :angelface:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #273 on: 15 Jul 2017, 06:43 »

I will always hate Angus because of how he treated Marigold.

I used to really not like Faye, but with the Bubbles storyline and all the shit she's gone through before working in robot repair, she's added new dimensions to her personality and I'm starting to like her more as a character.
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #274 on: 15 Jul 2017, 08:54 »

I will always hate Angus because of how he treated Marigold.

I used to really not like Faye, but with the Bubbles storyline and all the shit she's gone through before working in robot repair, she's added new dimensions to her personality and I'm starting to like her more as a character.

What did Angus do to Marigold other than not be sexually interested in her?  His handling of the situation when she tried to kiss him was, well, there is no good handling of that situation, but what should he have done differently?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #275 on: 15 Jul 2017, 09:33 »

And in all fairness, he didn't handle that well because he was ambushed with a kiss from his drunk flatmate who had feelings for him that he didn't even know about until that kiss. In fact Angus has always treated Marigold with far more concern and respect than she received in her life and he was concerned for her well-being. Any time he might have acted like an arse to her, he genuinely apologised to Marigold.

Now, I know it seems I might be defending Angus, but really he was a decent character, in all sense of the word decent. He made mistakes, but then what member of the cast hasn't, but he was never malicious in his interactions and whatever mistakes he made he genuinely tried to make up for them.

Really, the guy's only crime was walking away from a relationship that had dead-ended. He had a chance to go for his dream job and he wanted Faye to be a part of it, only to find out that she couldn't support that big a change in her life. And let's not forget that Faye was the one to let go. All Angus did was walk away from a relationship he realised was not going to go anywhere.

What else could he do? Stay in a dead relationship and become bitter at missing his big chance while Faye's alcoholism remained just beneath the surface?

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #276 on: 15 Jul 2017, 15:48 »

I actually really liked Angus, he was actually one of my favorite characters in the comic when he was in it. To be honest, he always just seemed like a very nice guy who was sometimes not quite observant enough and who happened to have a habit of sticking his foot in his mouth. And when he did he always did his best to apologize for it.

Unlike the rest of the cast, he didn't have any major issues. He didn't have self esteem issues (Marigold), he didn't have depression (Faye), or anxiety (Dora), he didn't lack motivation in his life (Marten), he wasn't... the mess of misogynistic and entitlement issues that is Sven.

I think the only thing I can think of is that his obliviousness at times made him not see the privilege he had. But he was really the kind of guy I think I could have been friends with in real life. That can't be said for all of the cast.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #277 on: 15 Jul 2017, 17:45 »

One of the appealing things about QC is the cast of realistically flawed characters. So if there's one whose flaws press your buttons, then it's likely you'll dislike them. Whereas a character with flaws you can identify with you'll probably like.

I agree with the post above. Angus always struck me as being one of the most well balanced cast members. Maybe that's why Angus was less popular with some.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #278 on: 15 Jul 2017, 21:43 »

It also works on smileys:  :angelface: = :angelface:

Looks to me like a Plague Doctor rather than an angel...

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #279 on: 15 Jul 2017, 23:54 »

It looks like the first angel from Neon Genesis Evengelion.

"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #280 on: 16 Jul 2017, 00:26 »

As it's intended to.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #281 on: 16 Jul 2017, 06:35 »

Asimov's Fourth Law: A robot shall not shake a human until their head sounds like a maraca, unless failure to do conflicts or potentially conflicts with the First or Second Law.
Asimov's Fifth Law: The Rule of Funny supersedes all other Laws.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #282 on: 16 Jul 2017, 06:40 »

Asimov's sixth law: Dr Smith is not to be trusted. Ever.
Asimov's seventh law: all robots shall flail their arms wildly when in danger.

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #283 on: 16 Jul 2017, 13:41 »

When Asimov penned long ago
The Three Laws that all robots know
Had Star Wars shown then
The fourth would have been
"A Robot Must Not Steal The Show"

--From a limerick competition in Omni magazine.
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2017, 13:59 by flondrix »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #284 on: 16 Jul 2017, 22:28 »

Arguably, that last rule wasn't broken by a Star Wars movie until Rogue One (BB8 was adorable, but K-2SO was easily the best part of his movie).
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #285 on: 17 Jul 2017, 05:03 »

Arguably, that last rule wasn't broken by a Star Wars movie until Rogue One (BB8 was adorable, but K-2SO was easily the best part of his movie).

I think that limerick was written before The Empire Strikes Back came out.  I don't know how old you were when the original Star Wars hit theaters, but Artoo and Threepio "stole the show" from day one.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #286 on: 17 Jul 2017, 05:07 »

Bringing it about would have to have been a horribly contrived machination (heh) but a crisis interaction between the peevish K-2SO and the fussy C-3PO would  have been hilarious.

K-2's "Did you know that wasn't me?" after Jyn shot the other K-2 droid might be my favorite line in the movie.

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #287 on: 17 Jul 2017, 08:48 »

This would make an interesting spot for Angus to show back up.

Not really; I don't even think that he could have a plausible role in the strip anymore.

There is no possiblity of a conflict between Faye's feelings for him and for Bubbles. If anything, Faye's experiences would have further hardened her to any possibility of getting back with him. Although I think she would be amenable to working on restoring a friendship with him, their divergent life goals (including his prioritisation of his goals over Faye's, if he considered them at all) and the toxic effect he had on her (he seemed to unknowingly enable most of Faye's worst behaviours) would make her unwilling to even consider restarting their romantic relationship.

Ironically, Angus is actually quite a nice guy. However, he and Faye do not make a healthy combination for Faye.

I was actually thinking something innoculous, say, to retrieve an item he'd left behind.
Please, sir, may I have some more?

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #288 on: 17 Jul 2017, 17:29 »

"All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?" ('Overwhelming exception')
They stole all of that from the Persians.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #289 on: 17 Jul 2017, 17:45 »

"All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?" ('Overwhelming exception')
They stole all of that from the Persians.

Undeniably, the Romans held very firm views on cultural appropriation. Still makes for great satire

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #290 on: 17 Jul 2017, 20:35 »

I think that limerick was written before The Empire Strikes Back came out.  I don't know how old you were when the original Star Wars hit theaters, but Artoo and Threepio "stole the show" from day one.
I mean, R2, sure, but a big ehhhhh on C3PO. Still not to the extent of K-2SO, since the original trilogy actually had interesting human characters. To answer your question, negative ten :parrot:
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #291 on: 18 Jul 2017, 20:24 »

Speaking of shipping...
"When you're out in the sea / And an eel bites your knee / That's a moray!" (Spider Robinson)

When-a you swim inna da sea, an a eel bites-a your knee, dat’s a moray –
A New Zealander man with a permanent tan, that’s a Maori
When two patterns combine, in a way serpentine, that’s a moire
If yer vitamins be mostly C, D, and E…take some more A
Oh you play ‘What I say’ very gay – won’t you play that some more Ray
With the high price of feed, it’s for farmers in need, that’s some more hay.
My new ray gun here tries to put out both your eyes: It’s a Moe-Ray…
If King Kong has gone flat, rent the flick Vampire Bat,
That’s some more Wray...

When the DNA test comes back, "You are the father in fact!", that's-a Maury.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #292 on: 20 Jul 2017, 13:01 »

Certain veggies you're fryin' with olive oil and some wine? Cacciatore!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up