THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 30 Apr 2024, 18:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's going to the theme song for this week?

Six Million Dollar Man
SilverHawks
Deus Ex
Inspector Gadget
Robocop
Jason X
Star Wars

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3521 to 3525 (10th to 14th July 2017)  (Read 62875 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: WCDT Strips 3521 to 3525 (10th to 14th July 2017)
« Reply #200 on: 13 Jul 2017, 18:41 »

Perhaps Jeph is saving that for sweeps!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #201 on: 13 Jul 2017, 19:38 »

Obviously after the events of yesterday's comic, this one could go either way. Bubbles could simply be stating what she feels to be true, and yesterday she simply made a slip of the tongue. She also could be simply not ready to vocalise what she's feeling to anyone, Faye included. As such, her flustered denial would be a sign of something that she's not ready to process. There's no way to know until the story advances a bit.

On the topic of Clinton, for the first three or four panels I actually thought that he was showing signs of progress as a character. I'm pretty sure that up to that point he reacted the same way a lot of people would. In the last two panels he really walked back all that progress and became creepy.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #202 on: 13 Jul 2017, 20:20 »

:laugh:  Poor Clinton - he really does have a one-track mentality; once he gets an idea into his head, he runs with it all the way to the end of the line. Unfortunately, it takes a catastrophic derailment to make him change his mind!
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #203 on: 13 Jul 2017, 20:23 »

I really don't think Jeph would tease Faye/Bubbles so much if it wasn't gonna go anywhere. Maybe it won't lead to them getting together, but it has to have some relevance to future plotlines. Otherwise it's just bad storytelling.

DaiJB

• Utterly clueless.
« Reply #204 on: 13 Jul 2017, 20:32 »

OK, today's episode (14th July)?  I read it and laugh. Then I re-read it and laugh again.

This is why I read QC.
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #205 on: 13 Jul 2017, 20:34 »

Comic's up!

I guess that clarifies the "physical attraction question". I'm gonna go check up on that Badger ...

P.S.: "That Is Not the Point! Aghblghl ..." SNERK!
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #206 on: 13 Jul 2017, 20:38 »

I think this adds a +1 to the "Jeph isn't just teasing shippers, Bubbles has feelings and is embarrassed by the assumptions they're reciprocated" tally.

I know a lot of you guys were saying earlier in the week "This is just Jeph telling people to cool it with the shipping" but, honestly, from a writing standpoint, it looks like Jeph is using Clinton -- Designated Poor Schmuck character -- to obliviously and without intent call Bubbles out on her feelings in a way that is super awkward for both of them, and later have Bubbles have to deal with it seriously without being pressured into a definite reaction now, so she has a chance to simmer on it and we as an audience get to see that play out slower.

If it was just 'nothing was happening between them' comedy playing off the misunderstanding beat, you wouldn't have the Bubbles reaction you do today. Even though that is a reasonable reaction for someone who is just platonic and embarrassed about the situation, the authorial intent seems to imply this as an establishing beat for a character storyline -- Bubbles' last one just wrapped up with the armor coming off, and Faye and Bubbles have got a new shop and it is open, we've had a breather with the party, this is exactly about the point in the comic's pacing stuff like this starts getting set up again.

Note: A story beat is basically the significant events that the story flows through that you can identify as having narrative purpose, the framework from which everything else is connected.
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2017, 21:16 by MrNumbers »
oh god

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #207 on: 13 Jul 2017, 20:46 »

Not completely OK, because then he would never have said "No judgement from me!".

It's interesting you say this; I interpret that simply as being conscious that other people might have a problem with it, and Bubbles defensiveness is misinterpreting him as coming from that place.

That would fit too, come to think of it, especially given what Emperor Norton posted about saying just that sincerely and straightforwardly.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #208 on: 13 Jul 2017, 20:50 »

I'm gonna go check up on that Badger ...

I'll help. Because this forum is going to explode.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #209 on: 13 Jul 2017, 20:53 »

Comic's up!

I guess that clarifies the "physical attraction question". I'm gonna go check up on that Badger ...

P.S.: "That Is Not the Point! Aghblghl ..." SNERK!

Which brings me to something about the shipping argument. Reasoning with the moderators works sometimes :-) At the moment, reason is saying that the "100% strictly platonic" hypothesis is showing signs of wear. Could still be true, with Bubbles making a neutral observation about reality that was accidentally awkward, but that's a stretch.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #210 on: 13 Jul 2017, 20:59 »

That was funny.

ASSUMING that the strip even goes 'there' and we don't know if it will, I do hope thing progress very slowly. Bubbles does not have issues, she has SUBSCRIPTIONS. As does Faye.

It might even be time for Faye to go back to seeing her psychiatrist.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #211 on: 13 Jul 2017, 21:06 »

I've said it before (when Jeph showed us Brün in a tux) so I don't mind saying it again:
I -would- like to see Bubbles in a tux.

Or, for that matter, Faye.
And AIs, being immersed in human culture, are also aware of human hotness criteria.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #212 on: 13 Jul 2017, 21:09 »

Okay, NOW I think it is safe to say that Bubbles is attracted to Faye and It's not 100% platonic, even if it is mostly (which I seriously doubt it). It might just be romantic without a heavy sexual undertone but I think that Jeph is building to something and I think it will be fun to read about. Most relationships having varying levels of intimacy and affection anyway so why can't this one be complicated?   

I am kind of surprised that Clinton said Faye is super hot. That doesn't really seem like something he'd say.  Then again his character does end up in weird and random situations  and says stuff that makes it worse (like the tattoo on his date with Emily and countless other examples). I think it would be funny if, in his bad judgement of the situation with Bubbles, he hits on Faye. He really is Marten the second . . . 

Meanwhile, I REALLY want Elliot to find love. I don't care if it's with someone in the cast or someone new. I just love him so much and I want him to be loved.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #213 on: 13 Jul 2017, 21:20 »

I am kind of surprised that Clinton said Faye is super hot. That doesn't really seem like something he'd say.

Clinton's a foil; His character is really defined in its utility at the moment, which is that right now he exists to set up situations for other characters to bounce off/react to badly, in a way where he comes out as innocent. He basically exists to upset other people without it really coming across as his fault, and to be a victim.

It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it.

Honestly, I wish it were played up a little less. It's a prop that's wearing a little thin for me, even though I still like Clinton himself.
oh god

BlueAmaranth

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #214 on: 13 Jul 2017, 21:20 »

It definitely seems like this is building up to some kind of romantic and/or sexual relationship between Bubbles and Faye, which...meh. I really like their friendship, and this feels like it's happening because romance is the "next step forward" in their relationship as they grow closer, as if a meaningful and intimate friendship can't be enough. I really value positive depictions of supportive, deeply meaningful friendships in fiction, the kind of friendship whose development gets its own arc, and now it seems like this one is going to turn into yet another romance. I accept that it's happening and it's not the worst thing in the world, but it's not how I would have preferred this to play out.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #215 on: 13 Jul 2017, 21:26 »

Snip

Or it could end up like Marten and Faye, yet. Something this comic has already done before. We'll see!
oh god

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #216 on: 13 Jul 2017, 22:28 »

I am kind of surprised that Clinton said Faye is super hot. That doesn't really seem like something he'd say.  Then again his character does end up in weird and random situations  and says stuff that makes it worse (like the tattoo on his date with Emily and countless other examples). I think it would be funny if, in his bad judgement of the situation with Bubbles, he hits on Faye. He really is Marten the second . . . 

It's not that surprising.  Brun is not conventionally attractive, but he likes her.  And considering that Faye's disposition has improved in recent months she's not as abrasive as she used to be which makes her more desirable than when they first met. 

There are a lot of similarities and I can't help but notice how Clinton is in the same position Marten was when he first met Bubbles, however, Clinton strikes me as someone who has career goals while Marten is possibly considering what he should do with his life only now.   

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #217 on: 13 Jul 2017, 22:45 »

Why does everyone assume my username is shipping? Maybe I'm saying Faye loves Bubbles--as a friend.

This is either heading toward something romantic between them, or Bubbles getting her heart broken. As I am not a fan of the latter, I am hoping very much that it is the former. As I said before, Faye's feelings toward Bubbles are one big question mark. Other than Faye loving Bubbles.

As a friend.
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #218 on: 13 Jul 2017, 23:07 »

At the moment, reason is saying that the "100% strictly platonic" hypothesis is showing signs of wear. Could still be true, with Bubbles making a neutral observation about reality that was accidentally awkward, but that's a stretch.

Indeed, Faye is objectively hot.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #219 on: 13 Jul 2017, 23:18 »

It definitely seems like this is building up to some kind of romantic and/or sexual relationship between Bubbles and Faye, which...meh. I really like their friendship, and this feels like it's happening because romance is the "next step forward" in their relationship as they grow closer, as if a meaningful and intimate friendship can't be enough. I really value positive depictions of supportive, deeply meaningful friendships in fiction, the kind of friendship whose development gets its own arc, and now it seems like this one is going to turn into yet another romance. I accept that it's happening and it's not the worst thing in the world, but it's not how I would have preferred this to play out.

Welcome, new person!

You and me both.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #220 on: 13 Jul 2017, 23:26 »

It might even be time for Faye to go back to seeing her psychiatrist.

Predicton: We find out that robots have psychiatrists.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #221 on: 14 Jul 2017, 00:19 »

I have been restraining myself up until now but panel 5 is going into my mental lexicon as the illustration for the phrase "The lady doth protest too much". :-D

Seriously, I know what Bubbles means. Yes, she's attracted to Faye on a physical level. Yes, she has less-than-platonic feelings for her. However, she has no evidence to show that this is reciprocated at this point and she's both good enough a friend and, more importantly, insecure enough that she won't press the issue for any reason. Of course, after Wednesday 7/12's strip, that may not matter as Faye is probably aware of it now (if she wasn't at least vaguely aware of it before).

On a side-note, it probably says a lot about Faye that Bubbles potentially using Clinton as a Pińata seems a totally normal interpersonal interaction to Faye! That's our Pugnacious Peach's internal thought processes at work.

I can't help but wonder now if Clinton will talk to Claire about this and the two of them will get it into their heads to 'help' Faye and Bubbles with their relationship 'issues'? :-P

They have something analogous to therapists, yes. Remember that, after  that disastrous first party, Bubbles told Faye that some of the god-tier AIs had tried to help her with her guilt issues but that it hadn't worked out too well.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #222 on: 14 Jul 2017, 00:22 »

I'm gonna go check up on that Badger ...
I'll help. Because this forum is going to explode.

Wait - you don't think it's a Honeybadger?
Right. Nevermind.

BAAAAADGER!
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS
« Reply #223 on: 14 Jul 2017, 00:47 »

Faye is subjectively hot. Your desires are your own.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #224 on: 14 Jul 2017, 01:12 »

"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #225 on: 14 Jul 2017, 01:14 »

Sort of both?

There are many objective measures for attractiveness; Hip to waist ratio, facial symmetry, general proportions, and of those measurements, Faye has a lot of objectively desirable qualities.

However, many people weight those values differently.

Thus, Faye can be objectively hot in a way that you or others do not desire, as attraction is subjective.

Line break because second topic;

I get a lot of you are saying that a romantic subplot devalues the idea of a strong platonic friendship and I totally get where you're coming from, but it is less narratively interesting by all conventions you care to measure it by. A romantic subplot provides the same closeness and character interaction as the friendship while providing more concrete objectives and struggles you can set, provides more apparent stakes to hold, etc. etc. etc.

A close friendship doesn't have to be 'lesser' than a romantic one by any means, nor a step below one. But there's a reason they tell stories about princesses and princes instead of kings and queens; When you're a prince, one day you might become a king. But once you're a king, that's all you'll ever be.

It might not be something you totally agree with personally, or like, but it does make for better storytelling.
oh god

LKR1009

• Not quite a lurker
  • I am an entropy magnet.
    • Facebork
« Reply #226 on: 14 Jul 2017, 04:08 »

I predict Clinton and Faye as our surprise couple and Eliot + Brun.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #227 on: 14 Jul 2017, 04:21 »

I predict Clinton and Faye as our surprise couple and Eliot + Brun.
Eliot and Brun is a possibility, but Clinton and Faye? That would require Clinton to make advances to Faye. He'd never have the nerve -- look how shy he was dealing with Emily and Brun, and Faye is far more intimidating than either. And it beggars belief that Faye would find Clinton attractive.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #228 on: 14 Jul 2017, 05:08 »

BAAAAADGER!
Mushroom!
Snakes! Oh, snakes!

On a side-note, it probably says a lot about Faye that Bubbles potentially using Clinton as a Pińata seems a totally normal interpersonal interaction to Faye!
At the moment, it's more like a maraca than a pińata.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #229 on: 14 Jul 2017, 06:00 »

On a side-note, it probably says a lot about Faye that Bubbles potentially using Clinton as a Pińata seems a totally normal interpersonal interaction to Faye! That's our Pugnacious Peach's internal thought processes at work.

This is Clinton we're talking about.  Why should Faye find it surprising that he has pissed off another AI?

They have something analogous to therapists, yes. Remember that, after  that disastrous first party, Bubbles told Faye that some of the god-tier AIs had tried to help her with her guilt issues but that it hadn't worked out too well.

I didn't remember that.  Spookybot didn't enter the picture until later, so you're talking about some other god-tier AI?  (And what tier does that put Spookybot on?)

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #230 on: 14 Jul 2017, 06:07 »

"Is it cold in here?" said that Bubbles was merely making an observation about reality in panel 3, and I was going with it.

Mehre

• Plantmonster
« Reply #231 on: 14 Jul 2017, 06:08 »

Well it will have to be resolved one day They are obviously attracted to each other on physical level and obviously they like each other (one way or other). How it will end is up to them(and by extension to Jeph). Still it could end either way. And while it may be nice ship, there is a pattern of pairing off people(never to be heard of again). There is enough couples as is and perhaps some different type of relationship could help keep thing interesting.

While I agree that Clinton is lately used as a narrative tool(and perhaps one of the dominant characters), this whole morning misunderstanding(thats how this episode would be called if it was a TV series) is not his fault and neither he reacts badly. Maybe not ideally(curious, really? at least he is honest) but 90% of you would react same way and maybe worse.

After this Bubbles-Faye/Clinton-Brun-Elliot business ends, we will need couple of strips featuring creepybot(or similar story arc).

Edit: She didnt said god-tier AI exactly, did she? I would have to go archive fishing but wasnt something like "wiser people than you tried" ? Could be just random professional (AI or not).
Edit2: I kinda overdid it with parentheses, didnt I?

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #233 on: 14 Jul 2017, 07:22 »

What Bubbles said was "Better minds than yours have tried." (http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3066)

Aegir

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #234 on: 14 Jul 2017, 07:31 »

I keep looking at Clinton's face(s) in the last panel and I keep laughing.

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #235 on: 14 Jul 2017, 07:42 »

This would make an interesting spot for Angus to show back up.
Please, sir, may I have some more?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #236 on: 14 Jul 2017, 07:50 »

I had that thought last night and I kept laughing like a maniac. It would certainly be in keeping with Jeph trolling us like that.

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #237 on: 14 Jul 2017, 07:50 »

We are not f-...?  Which F-word were you going for there, Bubs? :angel:

Oh wow I can totally see this happening too.  Poor Bubbles.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2017, 07:57 by blt »
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #238 on: 14 Jul 2017, 08:04 »

Not really; I don't even think that he could have a plausible role in the strip anymore.

There is no possiblity of a conflict between Faye's feelings for him and for Bubbles. If anything, Faye's experiences would have further hardened her to any possibility of getting back with him. Although I think she would be amenable to working on restoring a friendship with him, their divergent life goals (including his prioritisation of his goals over Faye's, if he considered them at all) and the toxic effect he had on her (he seemed to unknowingly enable most of Faye's worst behaviours) would make her unwilling to even consider restarting their romantic relationship.

Ironically, Angus is actually quite a nice guy. However, he and Faye do not make a healthy combination for Faye.
~~~~

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #239 on: 14 Jul 2017, 08:09 »

I found Angus less likable as he wore on; there was an emotionally manipulative aspect to his character I would have found repellent in a real-world person. (I'm thinking of the semi-smirk with which he told Faye "I love you" as he got on the train for his audition, discombobulating her for a very long weekend. After watching a few of the live-drawing feeds Jeph used to do, I concluded he never draws anything by accident.) And with Faye and Bubbles attuned to manipulativeness through their recent experience with CW, I can see Angus beating a hasty retreat.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #240 on: 14 Jul 2017, 08:49 »

Snip

Or it could end up like Marten and Faye, yet. Something this comic has already done before. We'll see!
I can't recall offhand - has Faye clued in Bubbles about her Dad?

Sent from my NXA8QC116 using Tapatalk

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #241 on: 14 Jul 2017, 08:55 »

Although I think she would be amenable to working on restoring a friendship with him, their divergent life goals (including his prioritisation of his goals over Faye's, if he considered them at all) and the toxic effect he had on her (he seemed to unknowingly enable most of Faye's worst behaviours) would make her unwilling to even consider restarting their romantic relationship.

I just wanted to point out that if the genders had been reversed--a woman has a chance to interview/audition for her dream job in NYC, boyfriend working a McJob out in the sticks with no plan and no prospects doesn't want to follow her or even try to make a go of a LTR, tries to drink himself to death instead--everyone would be calling the boyfriend an ***hole.

Yes, Angus had goals.  Did Faye have any then?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #242 on: 14 Jul 2017, 08:57 »

I can't recall offhand - has Faye clued in Bubbles about her Dad?

I believe that Faye has discussed this with Bubbles as a quid pro quo for Bubbles opening up on what she is able to remember of her Army career and the destruction of her unit.

I just wanted to point out that if the genders had been reversed--a woman has a chance to interview/audition for her dream job in NYC, boyfriend working a McJob out in the sticks with no plan and no prospects doesn't want to follow her or even try to make a go of a LTR, tries to drink himself to death instead--everyone would be calling the boyfriend an ***hole.

No, I don't think that's the case at all. I don't think that any reasonable person would criticise a clearly mentally- and emotionally-damaged man for failing at a relationship and then going into a depressive death spiral in the manner Faye did.

Yes, Faye had goals. Specifically, to have something secure in her life where the most important emotional constant, her father, was ripped away from her.
~~~~

TheEvilDog

« Reply #243 on: 14 Jul 2017, 09:15 »

No, I don't think that's the case at all. I don't think that any reasonable person would criticise a clearly mentally- and emotionally-damaged man for failing at a relationship and then going into a depressive death spiral in the manner Faye did.

Yes, Faye had goals. Specifically, to have something secure in her life where the most important emotional constant, her father, was ripped away from her.

That's just it, up until she got fired, Faye never had any goals. She coasted through her life after her crash and first stay in hospital. She never had any drive to try and improve her life in any way, shape or form. Even when she tried to do the metalwork sculptures, Faye's approach was pretty much being poked into working by Dora. Faye wanted to stay in form of stasis in her life and was detrimentally reticent to any change in her life and took no risks. When Angus said he had a chance at his dream job, it was Faye's lack of faith in that chance that ended the relationship.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #244 on: 14 Jul 2017, 09:20 »

No, it was unwillingness to leave the place where she felt safe and her surrogate family.
~~~~

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #245 on: 14 Jul 2017, 09:27 »

I found Angus less likable as he wore on; there was an emotionally manipulative aspect to his character I would have found repellent in a real-world person. (I'm thinking of the semi-smirk with which he told Faye "I love you" as he got on the train for his audition, discombobulating her for a very long weekend. After watching a few of the live-drawing feeds Jeph used to do, I concluded he never draws anything by accident.)

Could you point me to that comic?  I tried to find by hunting around, without success.  I want to see this sinister smirk.

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #246 on: 14 Jul 2017, 09:33 »

I'm with "Is it cold in here?" on this.  The statement "No judgement from me!" is someone making a point of how tolerant they are, implying that they think the person to whom they are speaking is doing something that must be "tolerated."  At least, that is how such a statement is used in sitcom-ish media, which this comic sort of is.

This is ridiculous and the kind of comment that basically makes people turn to "well fuck, nothing I can say is going to be taken at face value, so why the fuck should I try". I'm poly and bi. I have used the phrase "no judgement" to describe my thoughts on other people's relationships that are INSIDE THE VERY THINGS I DO, as they weren't aware of my sexuality at the time. It means literally that. No Judgement. The only other thing that it means is that "while there are other people who might have a problem with it, I do not" to make sure that they feel comfortable with me.

Assigning other motives to it is just... why do we require such high bars for people communicating that they can't even say basically "I have no problems with your relationships" without them being accused of having problems with your relationships.

I was hunting around for something else when I came across this comic:
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2653

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #247 on: 14 Jul 2017, 09:38 »

That's just it, up until she got fired, Faye never had any goals. She coasted through her life after her crash and first stay in hospital. She never had any drive to try and improve her life in any way, shape or form. Even when she tried to do the metalwork sculptures, Faye's approach was pretty much being poked into working by Dora. Faye wanted to stay in form of stasis in her life and was detrimentally reticent to any change in her life and took no risks. When Angus said he had a chance at his dream job, it was Faye's lack of faith in that chance that ended the relationship.

Possibly relevant: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2663

How do you make a link classy, like having text describing it appear instead of the bare URL?  The link insertion tool doesn't seem to do anything like that.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #248 on: 14 Jul 2017, 09:40 »

No, it was unwillingness to leave the place where she felt safe and her surrogate family.

Ergo, unwilling to make changes in her life and living in stasis.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #249 on: 14 Jul 2017, 10:09 »

How do you make a link classy, like having text describing it appear instead of the bare URL?  The link insertion tool doesn't seem to do anything like that.

Let's see if I can do this without the system reading it as code.
Left square bracket  [
Then "URL=http://somesiteoranother.tld
The right square bracket  ]
Then your descriptive text
Then another left square bracket  [
Then a slash and the letters URL   /URL
And finally a right square bracket to end code.  ]

Here's how it would look (substituting curlybrackets so the system won't render it as code) - {URL=http://somesiteoranother.tld}Then your descriptive text{/URL}
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up