THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 08:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Winslow wants to help people. What sorts of jobs do you think he might take? (jobs listed in no particular order)

teacher's assistant
crossing guard
sales clerk
receptionist
EMS responder
file clerk
peer support worker
nurse
library intern at the local public library
library intern at SMIF
wait staff
police dispatcher
customer satisfaction survey conductor (poor naďve bastard)
railroad dispatcher
bus driver
volunteer at a retirement home
blood drive volunteer
interpretor (sign language or foreign language)
other (please specify as best you can)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3541 to 3545 (7th August to 11th August 2017)  (Read 41184 times)

ProvenNonsense

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WCDT Strips 3541 to 3545 (7th August to 11th August 2017)
« Reply #100 on: 08 Aug 2017, 21:35 »

I would imagine that even if the AIs could download knowledge like the matrix it wouldn't be immediately recallable.  If their "brains" at all mimic ours (an assumption that maybe I shouldn't be making) neural connections to the new info would be very weak or non existent.  It would be like me trying to recall things I learned in my freshman year college classes, possible with some effort, some writing, and a review of the material.  Information only stays for long when you use it, even hard drives get degraded.  AI minds would seem to have more potential than humans, and would probably learn faster, but processors would be a definite bottleneck.

Anyways, Winslow's new body is super cute.  I wonder how Pintsize will react to the change.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #101 on: 08 Aug 2017, 21:35 »

I put "other" in the poll basically because I had no idea what Winslow would like (or be good at) in a job :D

Now that I think about it, I reckon Winslow being Winslow, will want to learn what life is like in this new body first - I don't see him jumping in feet-first like Momo. (I still grin at Number 2002 where she gets her revenge on Pintsize!)

Maybe he will take time out, study, take care of Hanners (he really is devoted to her, after all) - and then somewhere down the line, find a job?

edit: I really don't like the floofy pink hair. I hope Winslow doesn't like the pink hair and gets it changed. (Maybe he has Momo's color-changing app? Or is that one of those "extremely specific" features of high-end models mentioned by Iris?)
Eh, it doesn't matter what I think, though - maybe he likes it   :-)
« Last Edit: 08 Aug 2017, 21:46 by DaiJB »
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #102 on: 08 Aug 2017, 23:19 »

So, new comic! It seems that Winslow had an ulterior motive for asking for a chassis and it's exactly the one may people predicted. Once again, Pintsize is the motivating force in the comic!

That aside, it must have been a long time since Dora spent any time with Pintsize. I say that because she actually thinks that being bigger than Pintsize stops him pushing you around. I mean, how much larger than Pntsize is Faye and he even gets away with manipulating her sometimes! Nothing in Dora's direct and personal experience of him should have made her think that this could be the case!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #103 on: 08 Aug 2017, 23:34 »

On another topic, why is Winslow assumed to be qualified only for mostly apprentice-level or volunteer jobs?  (Presumably robots can achieve journeyman level competency by upload rather that a year or so apprenticeship.)  Does the Boy Job/Girl Job "glass ceiling" exist for short robots in the QCverse?

Nurse, EMS responder, teacher's assistant, and dispatcher all require training. At least 2 of those require degrees.
I'm guessing Winslow could download various language packs to be an interpreter, but that's another one that requires extensive training for humans.

I chose teacher's assistant as opposed to outright teacher based on which I assumed he'd likely be more comfortable doing.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #104 on: 08 Aug 2017, 23:38 »

Pintsize is going to want one now

This is gonna be interesting.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #105 on: 09 Aug 2017, 00:57 »

Liking Winslow's look, feels quite Fallout Boy to me.

Gyrre

« Reply #106 on: 09 Aug 2017, 01:45 »

I would not go so far as saying that being able to walk about without issue is a higher level of learned skill set.
He already has the basics of locomotion and navigation from being in his ipod chassis.
Do you think about how you place your limbs and flex each muscle as you walk?
I like to hearken mack to Macross/Robotech with what was referred to as Reflex technology [muscle memory for the organic types] - that is that each subsystem had built-in dedicated control systems to look after basic repeatable operations with a high level of skill. A master control signal comes in saying "keep upright balance" and so you stand there as the individual subsystems interact, flexing and relaxing to compensate for environmental irregularities and personal shifts in weight due to upper body actions and yet maintain an upright stance. This also explains the old "ow - I just walked into a lamp post" scenario where the reflex system was doing its job just fine propelling you forward but the higher level functions did not do theirs, in this case collision avoidance.
Humans learn fine motor skills over the course of 3 to 5 years. Some humans take even longer to grasp finer motion control.
a real-ass gaddam sword

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #107 on: 09 Aug 2017, 01:47 »

Of course, AIs have the advantage of having bodies with their own separate 'brains'. You could pre-load the chassis with basic motor control software (walking, grasping and the like) and all the AI algorithm has to do is trigger it. The AI can and will learn to do other things that it wants to do (Momo gave dancing or playing music as good examples) but it doesn't need to do it all.

The closest biological parallel I can think of is that the AI algorithm is only the Cerebrum; the brainstem is part of the chassis and that handles most if not all of the routine bodily operations.

Pintsize is going to want one now

Calling it now: gender-ambiguous hermaphrodite aesthetic. Actually having the parts will radically change his outlook though and maybe he might be less aggressive... Or possibly just as aggressive but isn't prepared for the occasional positive response.
~~~~

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #108 on: 09 Aug 2017, 02:57 »

The AI can and will learn to do other things that it wants to do (Momo gave dancing or playing music as good examples) but it doesn't need to do it all.

I don't recall that discussion.  Any idea when it was?  I would like to read it.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #109 on: 09 Aug 2017, 05:03 »

So basically, I think an AI still has to have experiential education, and process it like a human does. They might be better able to organize than a human student, but they'd still have to put in the time and dedication that a human would. So I don't think Winslow can just jump into any field he wants.

This overlaps with something I was wondering about...after downloading into the new body, Winslow can stand and walk and safely hug people without staggering about for a while first.  Shouldn't he have a learning curve?

We humans might be biased in that regard, since it takes us so very long to learn locomotion after birth, but I believe that we're rather the outliers here - in fact, a lot of mammal infants acquire basic locomotion within minutes (cute vid of baby elephant, cute vid of baby Vikuna), whereas the first thing human babies learn in terms of locomotion is reaching.

Apparently, being 'a bit of a slowpoke' wrt. motoric learning is common for many species of primates:

There are obvious differences in adult locomotion for humans compared to the great apes, but there are additional differences related to the development of locomotion. Many mammals are able to locomote shortly after birth, and it is likely that most mammals are born with an innate locomotion circuit, but the time to reach mature, adult-like locomotion varies significantly.

Human infants display coordinated leg movements that seem to mimic walking movements at a very young age, but they do not reach typical, adult walking behavior until 6-7 years of age. Newborn infants supported stepping patterns do not match the plantigrade locomotion of adults.
[...]
Chimpanzee infants begin locomoting primarily with their upper limbs, with torso-orthograde suspensory locomotion as the most common mode. At about 3 years of age, they begin to transition to more quadrupedal locomotion. By 5 years of age, they begin to locomote completely independently. During this stage, they decrease clinging and torso-orthograde suspensory locomotion and increase quadrupedal locomotion. Locomotion finally reached the adult form by adolescence (10-13 years), when the majority of movement became quadrupedal walking.
[...]
Gorillas begin crawling on mother locomotion by about 3-4 months of age.
[...]
By 4 years of age, gorillas are locomoting much like an adult, with knuckle-walking quadrupedalism as the most common form.

True, human babies' bodies are simply not built for adult locomotion - think e.g. of that (relatively) huge head that the body cannot even support initially, or the fact that bipedal locomotion is mechanically less stable and therefore also harder to learn than quadrupedal locomotion. Primates in general appear to be built for "painfully slow learning", even those primates that primarily walk on four limbs. Maybe that's a function of the time that our bodies need to reach their adult form? Wouldn't make much sense to have hard-wired locomotion circuits for a body that cannot execute its commands for six to seven years?

Not that I have the first idea about neurology, but I vaguely recall that human natal learning is less developing connections than pruning them.
« Last Edit: 09 Aug 2017, 06:43 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

piedough

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #110 on: 09 Aug 2017, 05:16 »

Be Amazing if pintsize turns out to already have a body and hes the dark AI that helped bubbles with her memory . oh poor Winslow then  :evil:

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #111 on: 09 Aug 2017, 07:23 »

For comic #3543...

The problem is not Pintsize wanting a humanoid chassis.

The problem is affordability.

From the what we can guess from the attitude/reactions to the price(s) for them, a humanoid chassis is probably akin to purchasing a very high-end computer or possibly a small automobile.  In other words, a major financial cost/investment that one cannot easily undo.

Pintsize knows that Marten is (probably) not able to afford a humanoid chassis, not on Marten's librarian salary.

Likewise, whatever monetary source(s) Pintsize has himself (assuming he does not simply have an saved-up allowance from Marten), it probably is also unable to afford a humanoid chassis as well; otherwise Pintsize would have probably either approached Marten about it, or simply purchased it without informing Marten or Marten's consent.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2018, 08:26 by pendrake »

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #112 on: 09 Aug 2017, 07:58 »

Winslow's new chassis looks rather like a male counterpart to Momo's, no?

And now that I've put that thought in your mind, remember..... NO SHIPPING!

heheheheheheheh
It's a set-up for "Is this your brother/sister?" and "Do robots have siblings?" gags.  Instead of "Are they twins?" AI parents are asked, "Are their serial numbers sequential?"

OldGoat

« Reply #113 on: 09 Aug 2017, 08:12 »

Be Amazing if pintsize turns out to already have a body and hes the dark AI that helped bubbles with her memory . oh poor Winslow then  :evil:
Welcome, doomsaying Stormcrow newcomer!

Don't say that too loudly.  It's just as well if Pintsize hasn't thought of it yet and the QCverse doesn't need him getting ideas.

Bollthorn

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #114 on: 09 Aug 2017, 10:09 »

That was my first thought when Winslow's eyes "bipped" open; Such a lil' cutey!! I just wanna sit him in my lap and smoosh up his little face!! ^.^

... Dammit I'm such a big softy.
« Last Edit: 09 Aug 2017, 10:29 by Bollthorn »
"Oh Eddie... Why are you an alcoholic?"

"... Because I drink a lot."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #115 on: 09 Aug 2017, 11:18 »

Welcome, new person with provocative thoughts!

Eminence Grise could be one of those immensely powerful creatures with a pathological need to play pranks, like Coyote. They could operate the epicene body for serious business and run Pintsize for messing with the heads of preschoolers.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #116 on: 09 Aug 2017, 11:27 »

I thought it looks sub-adult - about the same height/age as Sam say, which would make any shipping distinctly creepy.

OldGoat

« Reply #117 on: 09 Aug 2017, 11:45 »

I thought it looks sub-adult - about the same height/age as Sam....
And Sam assumed Momo was an age peer when they first met.  Winslow 2.0 does appear unquestionably younger in the current artwork - on the shelf the unanimated chassis was kind of age-ambiguous.
« Last Edit: 09 Aug 2017, 12:16 by OldGoat »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #118 on: 09 Aug 2017, 12:01 »

As wrong is it is to jump to a conclusion based on a sample size of exactly two, I might as well, since what else is the WDCT for?  Winslow and Momo have both gone to "teen" chassis, as they move from a childlike form on their way to an "adult" one. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #119 on: 09 Aug 2017, 14:58 »

As wrong is it is to jump to a conclusion based on a sample size of exactly two, I might as well, since what else is the WDCT for?  Winslow and Momo have both gone to "teen" chassis, as they move from a childlike form on their way to an "adult" one.

Problem is Momo very much as a type, and it ain't shortstops, and I'm pretty sure Winslow was matched up with Hanners particularly for being asexual and aromantic even for an AI, at least if compared to May and Pintsize.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #120 on: 09 Aug 2017, 15:32 »

After the initial shock of Winslow not dolphin diving into the SoftBoy chassis, I must say that his new appearance is pretty nice.
But yeah Pintsize is going to completely push Winslow around even in his new, full sized humanoid form. Maybe not physically but when has Pintsize needed the use of physical force.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

MightionNY

• Plantmonster
  • Protectobots, combine!
« Reply #121 on: 09 Aug 2017, 15:36 »

Here's a question if any one is putting together a Qc-based trivia game:

How many times have iPod-body-Winslow and Dora appeared in the same *frame*?

(click to show/hide)
"Dance like it hurts.  Love like you need money.  Work when people are watching." -Dogbert

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #122 on: 09 Aug 2017, 18:09 »

I found  it interesting that one of the first things Winslow did was literally beg Hannelore not to send him back to his old chassis: "I'll do anything, I'll get a job, I'll disinfect the apartment every day." What struck me was the feeling of desperation and fear in the bargaining. I recall Momo doing the same thing when Marigold got her her new chassis, promising to work 24/7 because she didn't need sleep.

Now, neither owner/companion had shown any evidence of making them go back. In Marigold and Momo's case, insecurity was a little bit more understandable, because Marigold's not that well off financially, and it appears that a new chassis is pretty expensive. That's not the case with Hanners, and yet, Winslow seemed to feel a real fear that she'd use her ownership rights to stuff him back into his beige box. 

I just think that says something interesting about Human/AnthroPC relations. Even the most benevolent owner is still an owner, and the owned still experiences insecurity and fear. No one who's owned, though we're told they have rights that must be respected, can ever rest easy.

EDIT: I'm not getting you down at all, am I? I'd hate to think I was getting anybody down.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #123 on: 09 Aug 2017, 18:22 »

If we've got the right picture of how the laws of the QC world have changed since the strip started, then if Winslow had had money of his own then Hannelore would have had no power over his choice.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #124 on: 09 Aug 2017, 18:23 »

COMIC

Well that was an interesting choice of companion AI by the test.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #125 on: 09 Aug 2017, 18:25 »

And this, kids, is what we in the dropout Psych major community call "learned phobias."

Is Mass. even warm enough for gators?

Storel

« Reply #126 on: 09 Aug 2017, 18:44 »

And this, kids, is what we in the dropout Psych major community call "learned phobias."

Is Mass. even warm enough for gators?

Maybe in the summers, definitely not in the winters.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #127 on: 09 Aug 2017, 18:45 »

Well, that really goes to  show that Winslow's Hanners Companion ;D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #128 on: 09 Aug 2017, 19:01 »

Dora's expression is priceless.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #129 on: 09 Aug 2017, 19:03 »

I really hope that being dragged into an alleyway and being broken up and sold for parts isn't a real risk.

It does happen in nearly all parts of the world, but one in a million. Only in parts of Africa is it a significant risk, and then only to albino and intersex people.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

TheEvilDog

« Reply #130 on: 09 Aug 2017, 19:10 »

And Dora's expression in the last panel is the exact one people make when they realise "Damn it. Now I have to deal with 2 of them".

I made the same face when I used to train new staff.

Or when I had to deal with new clients.

Or old clients.

Or when I had to deal with new staff in my local coffeeshop.

And I suddenly realise that I had that face constantly.
« Last Edit: 09 Aug 2017, 19:25 by TheEvilDog »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #131 on: 09 Aug 2017, 19:32 »

I really hope that being dragged into an alleyway and being broken up and sold for parts isn't a real risk.

I imagine it would be quite difficult to go chop shop with an AI chassis. Presumably every part would have an identification number on it, or at least some means of tracking the parts. I mean the cost of cleaning all those parts vs profit margin might not make it feasible to target AI. Plus what would they do with an AI? Delete it? EMP? Even a localised one would draw a lot of attention.

I kinda think most criminals would think it wasn't worth it.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #132 on: 09 Aug 2017, 19:52 »

WHAT IF ALLIGATORS  :laugh:

Oh dear - they're just going to reinforce each other's insecurities, aren't they?   :roll:
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #133 on: 09 Aug 2017, 20:03 »

I think I'd enjoy being a beer support worker.
Oh. You meant peer support worker.
Dang.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Gyrre

« Reply #134 on: 09 Aug 2017, 21:34 »

Here's where 'what if alligators' is a viable concern state-side.

Which begs the question; does Faye like gator meat?
a real-ass gaddam sword

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #135 on: 09 Aug 2017, 21:51 »

Winslow is right to worry.  The subterranean species can strike at any time.  Several years ago one killed a practicing wiccan outside Boston and that's not far from Northampton.  Fortunately, they are notoriously snobby gourmands and would probably reject Winslow as soon as they taste plastic. 

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #136 on: 09 Aug 2017, 22:37 »

WHAT IF DROP BEARS
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #137 on: 09 Aug 2017, 23:13 »

Today, we learn that the reason that Winslow was paired with Hannelore is because, in his own way, he's as neurotic as she is! Seriously, he's just suffering the same anxiety that any child would have going out on his own for the first time. It's just that Winslow has a more adult way of interpreting and expressing that anxiety. Naturally, Hannelore being Hannelore, now she's going to be worried about alligators too!

Seriously, though, 'What if...?' is a real poisonous direction to take your thinking. Especially if you aren't ready to counter it with "How likely is it...?' Remember, folks: All things are possible but comparatively few things are likely.

Meanwhile, I think that Dora is thinking something like: "Oh god, now there are two of them!"
~~~~

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #138 on: 10 Aug 2017, 00:05 »

"They're sweet, I like them both, but I am so done with this."

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier

Gyrre

« Reply #140 on: 10 Aug 2017, 01:47 »

Winslow is right to worry.  The subterranean species can strike at any time.  Several years ago one killed a practicing wiccan outside Boston and that's not far from Northampton.  Fortunately, they are notoriously snobby gourmands and would probably reject Winslow as soon as they taste plastic.
The Canadian trapdoor aligator is a wiley one. Be fareful, they're known to use mimicry to trick their prey.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #141 on: 10 Aug 2017, 02:49 »

WHAT IF DROP BEARS

I see your drop bear ... and raise you one WOLPERTINGER

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #142 on: 10 Aug 2017, 03:00 »

A centipede was happy – quite!
    Until a toad in fun
    Said, "Pray, which leg comes after which?"
    Which threw her mind in such a pitch,
    She laid bewildered in the ditch
    Considering how to run.

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #143 on: 10 Aug 2017, 03:45 »

I imagine it would be quite difficult to go chop shop with an AI chassis. Presumably every part would have an identification number on it, or at least some means of tracking the parts. I mean the cost of cleaning all those parts vs profit margin might not make it feasible to target AI. Plus what would they do with an AI?
1) People steal PCs, and the same is true of their compartments. Hands up anyone who has a complete list of all the serial numbers of their motherboard, PSU, disk, GPU etc. etc. I've met plenty of cyclists who haven't even bothered to write down their frame number.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #144 on: 10 Aug 2017, 04:02 »

Here's where 'what if alligators' is a viable concern state-side.
You can never be sure... Meanwhile in south west England...
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/alligator-chew-valley-lake-bristol-water-somerset-rspca-a7878216.html
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2017, 04:08 by JimC »

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #145 on: 10 Aug 2017, 05:45 »

Today, we learn that the reason that Winslow was paired with Hannelore is because, in his own way, he's as neurotic as she is! Seriously, he's just suffering the same anxiety that any child would have going out on his own for the first time. It's just that Winslow has a more adult way of interpreting and expressing that anxiety. Naturally, Hannelore being Hannelore, now she's going to be worried about alligators too!

Seriously, though, 'What if...?' is a real poisonous direction to take your thinking. Especially if you aren't ready to counter it with "How likely is it...?' Remember, folks: All things are possible but comparatively few things are likely.

Meanwhile, I think that Dora is thinking something like: "Oh god, now there are two of them!"

Yeah, I kinda predicted this earlier. We've seen Winslow freak out more than a few times in the past. They're both highly anxious people.

On the one hand, many AI's some with at least some sort of protective features. Momo had taser functions in her original body, and I can't recall if her current one also has those abilities. They also don't feel physical pain, so in a struggle, unless they're EMP'd or short circuited, they could defend themselves well past the point of human that would have to succumb to injury.

On the other hand it's worrying that there seems to be only one AI-protection officer looking out for the wellbeing of a small but substantial population in the city. I hope there's more, but its a big concern for how much consideration is given to the wellfair of AIs, especially given what happened with Bubbles, and the fact that many have turned to illegal means just to 'eat' as it were.

I'm a big ol Golden Girls fan, so I'll refer to an episode that stands out to me in this situation: There was an episode where burglars broke into their house, and Rose becomes paranoid and phobic of constant attacks. But when faced with what was a presumed threat, she actually manages to defend herself, even though said threat was really just a guy trying to return her car keys. But the result is she was able to overcome her fear.

I wonder if something similar will happen to Winslow where either his default chassis strength or any special functions will prove handy in an altercation, and he gains confidence from that.
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2017, 05:52 by ChipNoir »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #146 on: 10 Aug 2017, 07:47 »

I imagine it would be quite difficult to go chop shop with an AI chassis. Presumably every part would have an identification number on it, or at least some means of tracking the parts. I mean the cost of cleaning all those parts vs profit margin might not make it feasible to target AI. Plus what would they do with an AI?
1) People steal PCs, and the same is true of their compartments. Hands up anyone who has a complete list of all the serial numbers of their motherboard, PSU, disk, GPU etc. etc. I've met plenty of cyclists who haven't even bothered to write down their frame number.

But the chassis for an AI isn't a PC.

Your PC gets stolen, its specifically for those components that make up the PC.

But stealing the chassis of an AI is a completely different prospect. You'd be kidnapping someone that is constantly connected to a wifi network, in turn connected to a vastly powerful AI (Station) or at least monitored, because lets face it, the chassis for an AI is still a highly valuable device, still relatively new. Its obvious that they would be a target, so presumably there will be multiple countertheft measures in place.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #147 on: 10 Aug 2017, 08:59 »

Momo still has a taser. She used it when Clinton got creepy and was ready to demonstrate it for Emily.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #148 on: 10 Aug 2017, 09:03 »

People do steal cars though, despite being valuable, monitored and all that. The first thing a successful thief would learn would be how to circumvent alarm systems. The same as the first thing a successful kidnapper would learn would be how to disable their victim and prevent them from calling for help. And I'm sure there's a black market out there for both robot slaves and spare parts. Where is an illegal underground robot fighting ring going to get replacements, after all? If May hadn't been lucky enough to know some people who could do her repair work, where else might she have had to turn to?

Jeph's comic and style being what they are I don't expect we'd ever go there. But logic dictates that there would be a market for kidnapped AIs and their parts. And where there is profit to be made, people will find a way around safeguards. The fact that Officer Roko's job exists means that there are those out there exploiting AIs.
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2017, 16:39 by Neko_Ali »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #149 on: 10 Aug 2017, 09:05 »

Momo still has a taser. She used it when Clinton got creepy and was ready to demonstrate it for Emily.

Not to mention zapping May for being well… May.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up