Fun Stuff > MAKE

QC-themed guitars

(1/3) > >>

AdrianVW:
I was rather surprised to find nothing on this subject in the MAKE category... since guitars are a legitimate focus of the comic, along with a great many idea-inspiring characters and moments.

Just a few of the ideas I've had:
1. On the back of an SG kit, trace and color a dialogue-free blowup of Marten's ridiculous rock pose when the guitar took control.
2. Refinish a Les Paul Pee Wee, mostly in pastel blue, but with a creepy white grin hogging most of the lower front curve, and a severely-damaged USB port embedded in the rear bay cover.
3. Bubbles.  This is the one I'm actually building, just sprayed on her armor-color today.  Burgundy and berry pink, with black comic-esque border lines, on a triple-humbucker LP-style.  Big, powerful, but with gold hardware to reflect her hea--uh, coolant pump.  Since I don't have any external host for images (and do NOT tell me 'just sign up for an account with <service>') I won't be posting any pictures here on the forum, just on my FB timeline and one DIY guitars group.

AdrianVW:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=728455907347238&set=a.440701562789342.1073741827.100005485058666&type=3 Maybe this'll work.  Inconvenient pictures are better than text-only descriptions, I guess.

AdrianVW:
The Bubbles guitar project is coming along very nicely, but very slowly.  To make absolutely sure the newest paint is dry enough to survive masking tape being put on and pulled off, often more than once, I'm doing a section every other day.  Today is the second of the three parts of the black lines pattern; due to the width of my masking tape, the pattern needs to be constructed in three sections and painted over six days, then four more days for the remaining two colors, with one additional day in between to glue on the neck before doing the rear color, so there's no break in that shade between body and neck.  I'll post another pic-link once the black pattern is complete, because when dealing with lines that thin, the front of the guitar appears to be an almost solid mass of blue masking tape, with black spraypaint on most of it, so pics now would be rather dull.  The results should be much more interesting than the procedure, and I'll update as soon as it's worth looking at. :)

AdrianVW:
One QC AI I'd been having trouble thinking up a guitar for was May.  My continuing work with Bubbles, and some amazing, smooth finishes a little old lunch room lady has been doing on Strats lately, finally offered an idea...  I'd base her on a double-cutaway body (if she had an SG's horns she'd just damage things, possibly herself, with them), then go for a solid, glossy finish in her skin tone, then add a few articulation seams, front and back, with tape-masked black... but the tape-work will be a bit trickier than just those.  The main pattern would be simpler than Bubbles' double borders, but here and there, finely enough to miss at a long-distance glance, I'd add patterns of cracks to the black spray's masking, in much thinner lines than the seams themselves.  The headstock should be carved into a butt, of course.

I'm also still considering details for Momo.  All I have so far is that I'd use a Tele-style base with a maple fingerboard, the body would be pink, and the headstock face would be metallic glitter magenta.

AdrianVW:
Given the total lack of replies other than my own updates, I can't exactly claim a crowd has been eagerly awaiting the big reveal... but here it is anyway.  Bubbles' front (rough; still needs detail work) armor.  Those two blocks next to the body are something I whipped up last night, padded buffers for the clamps for tomorrow's neck-gluing.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=732268173632678&set=a.440701562789342.1073741827.100005485058666&type=3

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version