THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Claire and Brun Adventures - What Next? (Two choices each!)

Finding the rarest clock in all of Massechusetts
- 2 (3%)
Finding Brun a job... at the library... because Tai's head has never exploded enough
- 5 (7.6%)
A five-strip dissertation on whether human sweat enhances the taste of croissants
- 3 (4.5%)
"Clinton is your brother. I wish to seduce him. Do you have any pointers?"
- 13 (19.7%)
"Renee wants Elliott. She's afraid to approach him. Clinton tells me you like matchmaking. I want your help."
- 9 (13.6%)
Can Claire convince Brun that Pintsize is a rare clock so that she'll 'collect' him?
- 2 (3%)
Clinton sees them talking and accuses Claire of interfering; the result leads to a confession or two from Clinton
- 9 (13.6%)
Brun, lacking a brain-to-mouth filter, tells Claire something that either shocks, pleases or horrifies her;
- 21 (31.8%)
Other (please specify in a comment)
- 2 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3561 to 3565 (4th to 8th September 2017)  (Read 28052 times)

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Re: WCDT Strips 3561 to 3565 (4th to 8th September 2017)
« Reply #50 on: 06 Sep 2017, 11:12 »

It depends on the size of the bar or club, I suppose. A really big one would just flat out be too busy. If a bartender is stocking or cleaning they're not serving, which means a back up at the bar and making less money.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #51 on: 06 Sep 2017, 13:17 »

I suppose how you've organised your bar makes a big difference as well. If your stock is well organised and easily accessible that makes a big difference. Add a well organised bar tender, and a waiter, to take and deliver orders, and you can do wonders.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #52 on: 06 Sep 2017, 15:11 »

Wild speculation: Renee doesn't tell Claire who Elliot likes, and Claire jumps to the theory that she must be talking about MARTEN.
For MAXIMUM SHENANIGANS: Renee stutters the explanation and Claire misconstrues that Elliot is crushing on herself instead.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #53 on: 06 Sep 2017, 15:15 »

When a bar is packed barbacks are just more efficient than another bartender.

A bartender takes more knowledge and skill, so why have them spend the time to do all the stuff anyone can do?

They tend to make sure all the liqour/mixers/garnishes are stocked, clean down the bar, bus tables where assholes left their glasses and walked off (I always take empty glasses back to the bar myself).

If you have never seen a good reason for a barback, you have probably never been to a bar in a college town. Every bar in the city I live in (and there are TONS of bars in Athens, GA) feels like it is wall to wall packed standing room only every Friday and Sat night, and not too far from that on weeknights.

Barback is the bar equivalent of a busboy.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #54 on: 06 Sep 2017, 16:39 »

Think pure thoughts Renee,  think pure thoughts   :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #55 on: 06 Sep 2017, 17:25 »

Think pure thoughts Renee,  think pure thoughts   :-D

At least she's trying.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #56 on: 06 Sep 2017, 18:22 »

We lost a door, but we have also learned that AI chassis (or at least Bubbles...) don't have toes.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #57 on: 06 Sep 2017, 18:32 »

Tomorrow we will learn if Bubbles has any skills in carpentry or firewood.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #58 on: 06 Sep 2017, 18:41 »

Hardest I've laughed at a QC comic in some time.  :laugh:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #59 on: 06 Sep 2017, 18:50 »

Bubbles is a bit like my dog: always ready to overreact to an imaginary threat against her people.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #60 on: 06 Sep 2017, 19:06 »

I really love Bubbles' protectiveness of "small friend". Their apartment is developing a really good dynamic. The only pair that needs more interaction is Bubbles and Marten, I'd say. Maybe also Faye and Claire. In a weird way, Pintsize is the center of that mini-group.

theMarc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Oh God, it's all over my body.
« Reply #61 on: 06 Sep 2017, 19:23 »

JESUS CHRIST, BUBBLES! No half measures with you, huh?

I pity the burglar that chooses the wrong apartment to rob...
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #62 on: 06 Sep 2017, 19:25 »

That last panel...Marten just remembered the security deposit....
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #63 on: 06 Sep 2017, 19:49 »

JESUS CHRIST, BUBBLES! No half measures with you, huh?

I pity the burglar that chooses the wrong apartment to rob...

When a soldier is "on", they need to be all the way on, or people may die.
This is one reason a lot of them have trouble (re)adjusting to civilian life.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #64 on: 06 Sep 2017, 19:59 »

That last panel...Marten just remembered the security deposit....

Maybe that's the real reason he "peed himself a little".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #65 on: 06 Sep 2017, 20:00 »

Wild speculation: so we currently have two crush plots running in parallel. Bubbles appears to like Faye, and Elliot has admitted to liking Clinton. Clinton and Faye have never been shown as anything but straight. What if the parallelism is intentional? Maybe Faye and Clinton, after finding out what's going on, will talk about being unsure of their sexuality. Or maybe Bubbles and Elliot will go to the gym and bond over their seemingly-impossible targets of affection.

(Please don't interpret this as shipping. I'm just trying to predict the direction of the comic.)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #66 on: 06 Sep 2017, 20:01 »

One wonders if Bubbles has interrupted 'intimate moments' due to noise.

"WHAT IS THE SITUATION"

*moment of dead silence as Bubbles realizes what she interrupted.*

"Sorry. Carry on."

*puts door back*

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #67 on: 06 Sep 2017, 20:03 »

She's just lucky the door didn't squash Marten or Claire... or take their heads off.  :-o

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #68 on: 06 Sep 2017, 20:35 »

Marten's reaction to a simple door mishap clearly shows how long it's been since Pintsize melted the TV, and set the bookcase on fire. Not to mention, the cluster of Pintsize-dents by the kitchen has probably stuffed their deposit anyhow!

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #69 on: 06 Sep 2017, 21:01 »

Something else I haven't considered: Brun could end up liking Claire above anyone else, due to how kind she is to her and their mutual interests. Plus, Claire might get buddy-buddy with her in the effort to get her brother with anybody at this point (Unless Claire's excitedness at Elliot's crush is an indication of Clinton's preferences leaning bi and not her over-stepping bounds)

Brun is also pretty much the first regular character that is likely to make some big missteps regarding Claire's gender while not earning the undying hate of all of Jeph's fans due to her blunt nature and inability to manage social situations with perfect grace.

Build maximum drama, enter Hannelore and Winslow who are totally confused for maximum comedic effect.

Gyrre

« Reply #70 on: 06 Sep 2017, 21:16 »

If any of the cast has kids, God help the poor bastard who breaks one of their hearts first.
Aunt Bubbles would not be one to trifle with!
« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2017, 21:26 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #71 on: 06 Sep 2017, 21:18 »

"You have told me that he broke your heart, so I removed his heart from his chest and broke it into pieces."
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

theMarc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Oh God, it's all over my body.
« Reply #72 on: 06 Sep 2017, 22:44 »

"He made you cry, so I made him bleed."
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #73 on: 06 Sep 2017, 23:04 »

This makes me wonder if Bubbles has a Threat Evaluation Protocol for everyone in her life. Faye's is probably functions along the lines of "eh, she can handle it."

Then again, maybe it's more like "If Alcohol then DESTROY".
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Dizrupt

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #74 on: 06 Sep 2017, 23:17 »

A bartender takes more knowledge and skill, so why have them spend the time to do all the stuff anyone can do?

They tend to make sure all the liqour/mixers/garnishes are stocked, clean down the bar, bus tables where assholes left their glasses and walked off (I always take empty glasses back to the bar myself).

If you have never seen a good reason for a barback, you have probably never been to a bar in a college town. Every bar in the city I live in (and there are TONS of bars in Athens, GA) feels like it is wall to wall packed standing room only every Friday and Sat night, and not too far from that on weeknights.

In NZ and Australia, we call them 'Glassys'

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #75 on: 06 Sep 2017, 23:28 »

Yeah, this was a laugh-out-loud strip alright. Both in Claire's reaction and Bubbles' reaction.

Claire is such a romantic and Elliott is such a sweet personality that, naturally, the thought of such a person having a crush on Clinton would put her deep into "SQUEE!" territory. It probably says a lot about Bubbles and how difficult she, like many combat veterans, finds it putting battlefield reactions behind them, that she reacts automatically to a sudden noise. I don't think that a single conscious thought passed through her mind between her snapping into active mode in panel 2 and coming to a halt in Marten and Claire's bedroom. If she owned a gun, she'd probably be waving it around too!

Fixing that door is not going to be easy; even if the hinges are undamaged, Bubbles smashed the lock receiver out of the frame so the whole door-frame will need to be replaced. Trust me, I work for a company that operates youth hostels; I have extensive experience with busted doors. Poor Marten is going to have a difficult time explaining this one to the landlord!

I do hope that Claire remembers her bitter lesson and doesn't try to 'help' Clinton and Elliott. Oh, who am I kidding? A shipper like her will be trying to get the 'real story' at any moment that she's not doing anything urgent!

Final thought that occurs to me: Marten and Claire sleep in the buff. Now, if that's the way they do it then that's the way they do it. However, for some reason I can't help visualise Veronica smirking at them in a knowing way.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier
« Reply #76 on: 06 Sep 2017, 23:37 »

Well, I can think of more awkward circumstances for that phrase to be said rather loudly. :p

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #77 on: 06 Sep 2017, 23:51 »

Final thought that occurs to me: Marten and Claire sleep in the buff. Now, if that's the way they do it then that's the way they do it. However, for some reason I can't help visualise Veronica smirking at them in a knowing way.

Why? Does sleeping in the buff seem that unusual to you? I've been sleeping that way for most of my life, whether or not I have anyone in my life, so it seems pretty normal to me.

Tlaloc

• Larger than most fish
  • Out of Work Rain Deity
« Reply #78 on: 06 Sep 2017, 23:52 »

MC Bubbles in the House  :lol:

And we have not received any information about underpants in relation to buff sleeping
The point where Existentialist, Taoist and Buddhist thought meet is fascinating.

What goes on inside matters more than what goes on without? If the world beyond our skulls is a cypher that only we can provide meaning to & control is an illusion, what can we expect of ourselves or others?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #79 on: 06 Sep 2017, 23:56 »

Why? Does sleeping in the buff seem that unusual to you? I've been sleeping that way for most of my life, whether or not I have anyone in my life, so it seems pretty normal to me.

Not 'unusual', just 'interesting', specifically in terms of a new relationship and their reaction to each other on a physical level.
~~~~

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #80 on: 07 Sep 2017, 00:00 »

We lost a door, but we have also learned that AI chassis (or at least Bubbles...) don't have toes.

A small price for such valuable information.

Today was a double whammer for me, still chuckling about it.

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #81 on: 07 Sep 2017, 03:14 »

I like that Bubs doesn't even directly apologize.  "I now understand that you sometimes make loud noises.  I'll take this off my list of reasons to kick in your door."

I expect that after the moment has passed she'll be more bashful about it, probably with some teasing from Faye.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #82 on: 07 Sep 2017, 04:34 »

In NZ and Australia, we call them 'Glassys'

As I said, never seen it.
Only ever seen bartenders do everything mentioned above as well as serving.

Oh well... not important.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #83 on: 07 Sep 2017, 04:44 »

Not 'unusual', just 'interesting', specifically in terms of a new relationship and their reaction to each other on a physical level.

I don't see how it's particularly interesting either? Rather typical and to be expected from my experience honestly. They started dated some time ago, and have been virtually living together for months before deciding to make it official.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #84 on: 07 Sep 2017, 04:53 »

I don't know; maybe my brain works in different ways than that of other people.

To me, nudity is an act of both intimacy and trust. Panel 4 just has this weird dichotomy of clothes strewn everywhere, suggesting that Marten and Claire wanted to be naked in bed now, not in a few minutes time, yet the duvet is neat, suggesting no under-the-covers action and the two of them don't even seem to have been touching in panel 1. It just strikes me as an interesting nuance of their relationship that they have this urgent need to be together in this intimate manner even if they're not going to do anything but lie next to each other.
~~~~

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #85 on: 07 Sep 2017, 04:57 »

Maybe they're just messy undressers? Or maybe they had already... done things... and were just relaxing and talking about their day.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #86 on: 07 Sep 2017, 05:25 »

I can confirm that your mind works very differently from mine, anyway. Both in this specific instance as well as in general.

As Neko_Ali's suggested, clothes strewn everywhere does not in any way does not even remotely suggest any kind of urgent need to get undressed. At least in my case, all it suggests is that I am kind of lazy and messy.  But even if you're right, and they were in a terrible hurry to get undressed, why are you so surprised that it wasn't in order to get to "under-the-covers action?" Physical intimacy does not need to involve sex. Maybe they just wanted to get straight to the cuddling and pillow talk.

And I wasn't going to bother mentioning it, but now that I'm here - you don't even know that they're naked under there. They could be wearing briefs or boxers, for example.

I do agree that nudity indicates intimacy and trust, so at least we agree on something.

I think that when we read the comics, we're all making assumptions that we don't even realise that we're making, and yours appear to be so very very different from mine, almost every day.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #87 on: 07 Sep 2017, 05:40 »

[stuff]

Talk about over-thinking things!  But I guess that's the main function of fan forums.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #88 on: 07 Sep 2017, 06:09 »

It suddenly occurred to me that we haven't seen Clinton since the day after the party where Elliott flirted with him. I'm wondering if Faye did such a good job of slapping down his attempt to get a discount on his hand repairs that he has felt it prudent to avoid the main cast for a while.
~~~~

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #89 on: 07 Sep 2017, 06:12 »

It probably says a lot about Bubbles and how difficult she, like many combat veterans, finds it putting battlefield reactions behind them, that she reacts automatically to a sudden noise. I don't think that a single conscious thought passed through her mind between her snapping into active mode in panel 2 and coming to a halt in Marten and Claire's bedroom.
Very likely, I think.
Fixing that door is not going to be easy; even if the hinges are undamaged, Bubbles smashed the lock receiver out of the frame so the whole door-frame will need to be replaced.
Meh... It looks like one of those flimsy push-button door-knob locks to me, so it's probably only ripped off the striker-plate, and a small piece from the frame, assuming it's timber. They should be able to make it good by tidying up the the splintered wood with a chisel, filling the cavity with what is sold here as "builder's bog"), shaped with a Surform plane and sanding-blocks. Then re-drill the hole in the frame, refit the striker-plate, a fresh coat of paint, and the landlord need never know (don't ask how I know this).

Given the cardboard quality of most interior doors in low-cost rental flats, I'm just surprised Bubbles didn't put her foot right through, but I suppose that would be covered by her "dynamic entry" protocols, since getting tangled in a door would be bad if there were hostile elements behind it.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Dal Gurak

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #90 on: 07 Sep 2017, 06:14 »

I don't know; maybe my brain works in different ways than that of other people.

To me, nudity is an act of both intimacy and trust. Panel 4 just has this weird dichotomy of clothes strewn everywhere, suggesting that Marten and Claire wanted to be naked in bed now, not in a few minutes time, yet the duvet is neat, suggesting no under-the-covers action and the two of them don't even seem to have been touching in panel 1. It just strikes me as an interesting nuance of their relationship that they have this urgent need to be together in this intimate manner even if they're not going to do anything but lie next to each other.

I'm not sure if you're right or not, but I like that idea.  That kind of without thinking, both of their minds are sort of going on autopilot to get together, just for intimacy and not necessarily sex.  I've seen couples who've been away from each other for a while do that for hugs - just sort of zone out and nonverbally be like "Get out of my way, everyone - hugs needed!"  Then they can finally touch each other and you can see relief just flood over them.  It's really cute to think of Marten and Claire having that sort of response with each other - even if we never know for sure whether they really do, it's a very sweet idea.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #91 on: 07 Sep 2017, 06:50 »

Talk about over-thinking things!  But I guess that's the main function of fan forums.

I'll do you one better by linking to a specific strip that I had to look up just to argue that Marten's probably in his boxers .
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #92 on: 07 Sep 2017, 08:37 »

Two people in a sexual relationship together in bed naked? Shocking!  :-o

Seriously, they're young and in love and still in a relatively early stage of their relationship. A not-atypical pattern for such people would be to help each other out of their clothes, have sex, then lie in bed talking for a while, then have more sex, then talk some more, then sleep, then wake up and have more sex, then shower together and get dressed and go get breakfast.

This stage of a relationship can last anywhere from a few weeks to seventy years, depending on the couple.  :-D
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #93 on: 07 Sep 2017, 10:21 »

They're lucky Bubbles came through the door and not through the wall.

Toes are very practical things. I wonder how people in robot bodies manage without them.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #94 on: 07 Sep 2017, 11:48 »

Marten and Claire should consider themselves fortunate that they didn't exclaim "oh no" loudly and repeatedly or it would've activated a security protocol where Bubbles would crash through the wall.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #95 on: 07 Sep 2017, 11:56 »

To which Bubbles would reply, "OH YEAH!!!!"
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TheEvilDog

« Reply #96 on: 07 Sep 2017, 13:17 »

They're lucky Bubbles came through the door and not through the wall.

Toes are very practical things. I wonder how people in robot bodies manage without them.

Some insight, its there somewhere.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #97 on: 07 Sep 2017, 16:10 »

I like that Bubs doesn't even directly apologize.  "I now understand that you sometimes make loud noises.  I'll take this off my list of reasons to kick in your door."

I expect that after the moment has passed she'll be more bashful about it, probably with some teasing from Faye.

It's a good thing Bubbles now has this information, because this probably wont be the last time she hears Claire yelling "ohmygod!" from the bedroom.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #98 on: 07 Sep 2017, 16:23 »

Protocol definitely needs a bit of tweaking and refinement.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #99 on: 07 Sep 2017, 19:27 »

My new fanon is that Claire will set Bubbles' ringtone to "Holding Out For A Hero"

https://youtu.be/bWcASV2sey0
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up