THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 07:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Think of a Breaking Bad Pun For the Title: Let's Do Some Math!  (Read 50887 times)

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

And now for something more light hearted - a song for all the math enthusisasts:

Lyrics
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper

Because government education is a waste of tax dollars at it's finest, and why let the market deliver efficient systems when we can waste time and money?

Aside:  Was reading recently that the free market education system in Sweden has turned out to be a total disaster.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

As are most charter schools in the US.  The only ones that get better results are the ones with some form of selective admission, which is what private schools do indirectly. 

I think we can agree, though, that the US system is badly broken to the point where re-assembly may be required. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

ROTFL! Thank you for sharing, Loki.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Loki

• comeback tour!

A tweet in my timeline reminded me of how our math teacher in highschool explained asymptotes to us.
It's like teenagers at a catholic sleepover party: they can get as close to each other as they wish, as long as there is no touching.

Carl-E

• Awakened

I guess only vertical asymptotes are observant Catholics, then. 

'cause other types can touch, they just usually don't... maybe they're just picky?   :roll:

Loki

• comeback tour!

*blink* how exactly does an asymptote touch whatever it is asymptotic to?

Carl-E

• Awakened

Take a look at y = {sin(x)}/x.  Asymptotic to y = 0 as x -> infinity, and crosses it at every multiple of pi. 

There are rational examples, too, like y = x/(x^2 + 4), which is also asymptotic to y = 0 as x -> infinity, but crosses it at the origin. 

And it's not just the x-axis; any horizontal, slant or curvilinear asymptote can be crossed by a function that it's asymptotic to. 

Just not the vertical ones. 

Loki

• comeback tour!

Huh. Yeah, I see now - thanks!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Partially related, but useful in other cases too. https://www.desmos.com/calculator

You have dialled an imaginary number. Please rotate your handset by 90 degrees and try again.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

:claireface:
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Loki

• comeback tour!

I got the third before clicking on the solution! (And I had already heard the second before)

Carl-E

• Awakened

Max Zorn - yes, the Zorn of Zorn's lemma - was a professor emeritus at Indiana when I was in grad school.  In his 80's, he would come to every colloquium and seminar, and always had an insightful comment or question or two.  He lunched at Mother Bear's pizza with his wife over a pitcher of beer, then spent the afternoons in the seminars.  I taped up a couple of white index cards behind the coffee pots for him so he could see when the coffee was still brewing and not pull the pot out too early. 

The story around the department was that at a party sometime in the late 50's, he got very drunk, got up on a table, and loudly pronounced "It's not a lemma, and it's not mine!" 

Loki

• comeback tour!

Woha. I am completely :psyduck: right now

Carl-E

• Awakened

It's my birthday today.  My age is the next to last prime sum of two squares before the usual retirement age (65 in the US). 

:-D

Loki

• comeback tour!

Happy birthday!

How'd one go about solving this analytically?

(click to show/hide)

You devious bastard. You nerdsniped me for at least 15 minutes. Congratulations :D

Carl-E

• Awakened

Welp, my work here is done! 

I figured if anyone would crank it out, it would have been you... and Fermat's sum of two squares theorem was a nice easter egg! 

Have fun proving it...

Loki

• comeback tour!

Welp, my work here is done! 

I figured if anyone would crank it out, it would have been you... and Fermat's sum of two squares theorem was a nice easter egg! 
o.O I am far from being the most math adept person on the forum (not counting you, of course). We have physicists amd actual rocket scientists here.

Have fun proving it...
Welp. Uh. I can do one direction. That's already half of the work, right? :-D The rest is left as an exercise.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

This article piques my interest even though I have virtually no understanding of the kind of mathematics it deals with.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/mathematicians-chase-moonshine-s-shadow/
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

This isn't math per se, but I think it's close enough to put it here.
So I'm writing my exam on theoretical computer science tomorrow, and I'm still having trouble with one, or rather two things: the pumping lemma for regular and for context free languages.

Can somebody here explain to me what e.g. a general approach to proving that a language isn't regular using the pumping lemma would be? I think I can grasp the general idea of the lemma, but I'm struggling with how to apply it to tasks. Here's an example task from a test exam:

A language L is defined as follows:

Prove that L is not regular, using the pumping lemma. (Hint: Use words in the form )

I guess it'll go in the direction that pumping the prefix or the suffix of the middle one will break it, and pumping the middle won't work either, but how do I really approach that task?
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2016, 10:43 by ankhtahr »
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Loki

• comeback tour!

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Good luck!

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Thank you, I'm pretty sure I passed. I didn't have much trouble with the pumping lemma task.

In fact I'm much more sure I passed this exam than the technical exam I wrote on Wednesday, on which I spent a lot more time.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

I think the Venn diagram of irrational nonsense has appeared on the forum before but now there's an expanded version. You shouldn't waste your time reading it, just enjoy the beauty of it.

That's five categories and thirty-one areas between them! Fun fact: the number of areas in a Venn diagram of x categories is (2^x)-1, but you can also calculate it by taking the number of areas of a Venn diagram that's one smaller, doubling it, and adding one. This makes sense because every new category has to subdivide each area in two, as well as adding one area of its own that overlaps with no other. Makes me wonder how you could draw one that uses six. It's certainly possible if you abandon all symmetry but it'd be nice to do it with bilateral symmetry at least.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up