THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

BenRG's Wish Thread - What Would You Like to See Next?

The madness that ensues at The Horrible Revelation when Brun, Elliott and Clinton are all there
- 9 (26.5%)
The adventures of May, Momo and Winslow on a typical day in Northampton
- 1 (2.9%)
Just how strange are Brun's coworkers? A week of the weird!
- 3 (8.8%)
The landlord isn't happy having five people to an apartment; apartment hunting for Marten & Co.!
- 2 (5.9%)
SpookyBot approaches Bubbles for a 'favour'; will she pay the devil their due?
- 0 (0%)
A day on patrol with Officer Basilisk
- 11 (32.4%)
Like Jeph, Marten is thinking of giving up the electric guitar in favour of the synthesiser; artistic angst ensues
- 1 (2.9%)
Claire's agony as she tries to spend a day with Clinton WITHOUT shipping him with someone
- 5 (14.7%)
Robot week: Jeremy, Seven and Punchbot are working on marketing the Robot Fighting League
- 2 (5.9%)
Other (please specify in a comment)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3566 to 3570 (11th to 15th September 2017)  (Read 34705 times)

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
Re: WCDT Strips 3566 to 3570 (11th to 15th September 2017)
« Reply #50 on: 12 Sep 2017, 10:40 »

I also don't think we should discount the possibility that AI do have psychosomatic responses. AI are emergent technology, so we're not really sure how they work, in-universe. It seems likely that whatever weird wire-crossing in the brain causes psychosomatic responses in humans would be possible in AI as well.  Granted, the bots have more control over what actual input they receive, hence Bubbles not being ticklish due to lack of software, but i don't think that prevents psychosomatic responses developing independently.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #51 on: 12 Sep 2017, 10:58 »

I also don't think we should discount the possibility that AI do have psychosomatic responses.
One could describe psychosomatic responses as being unexpected and unplanned responses to inputs. That's scarcely a new problem in software. It seems QC universe feasible that a combination of foot position, touch and so on could via a software problem produce an unplanned reaction. I also find it easy to imagine the AIs being happier to describe such as pyscho-somatic rather than as bugs.

heyjames4

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #52 on: 12 Sep 2017, 11:37 »

The tickle response, without software install, might itself be the "...hitch" for which Officer Basilisk is seeking analysis & repair.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #53 on: 12 Sep 2017, 13:35 »

>AI are emergent technology, so we're not really sure how they work, in-universe

We know that however they work it will have been chosen to be funny.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #54 on: 12 Sep 2017, 13:37 »

Yea, it will probably be heavily dependent on butts.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #55 on: 12 Sep 2017, 14:30 »

Well, AI have actual libidos, to the point some chassis options have fully functioning genitals. But they still DO have that even when they're not equipped with said genitals (May)

I think a tickle response is minimal, compared to that.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2017, 14:42 by A Duck »

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #56 on: 12 Sep 2017, 16:14 »

The term psychosomatic describes symptoms caused or aggrevated by the mind. In Officer Basilisk's case, the over-sensitive response is presumably some kind of a learned response, and so this meets the definition. Installing software is just another way of learning the response, analogous to the difference between learning how to play piano by practicing, and learning it by downloading the appropriate software. So whether the response is learned or installed, it still counts as psychosomatic.

How she learned the response is not obvious, except that I think that the idea that her "processors wanted it" makes no sense to me.

The idea that software isn't necessary to learn a subconscious reaction is not really surprising to me, given that we already know that at least some AIs mimic human ways of acquiring all kinds of knowledge and skills, such as by reading books.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #57 on: 12 Sep 2017, 17:16 »

I read 'sensitive' as Ticklish   :claireface: :police:
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #58 on: 12 Sep 2017, 17:53 »

How she learned the response is not obvious, except that I think that the idea that her "processors wanted it" makes no sense to me.

Until proven otherwise, I choose to assume she was conducting an undercover sting of Coffee of Doom and was attacked by spiders in the basement. Her reaction is the same reason she doesn't have visible toes. The scurrying and nibbling of the spiders gave her a psychosomatic response, and she had her toes removed or covered because she couldn't get the icky feeling of spider guts between her toes out of her head.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #59 on: 12 Sep 2017, 18:18 »

I am reminded of the Pobble who has no toes.

I am surprised that Faye didn't ask if Roko has done a malware scan recently...
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #60 on: 12 Sep 2017, 21:35 »

Okay, so Roko is adorable. I really hope she joins the main cast, which is looking pretty likely. Would love to see her meet Pintsize.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #61 on: 12 Sep 2017, 21:47 »

If all Bubbles and Faye got is a road flare as a substitute for a candle does that mean they actually used those candles they got from May and Momo? 

If Roko is this difficult of a patient maybe the person who does their repairs isn't so bad and just has really poor bedside manners. 

Freelance_Physicist

• Plantmonster
« Reply #62 on: 12 Sep 2017, 22:00 »

This latest comic leads me to believe that Basilisk is an uploaded human consciousness, not an AI. She has been hiding this because she doesn't want to be known as Robocop. She never liked that movie.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #63 on: 12 Sep 2017, 23:14 »

This latest comic leads me to believe that Basilisk is an uploaded human consciousness, not an AI. She has been hiding this because she doesn't want to be known as Robocop. She never liked that movie.

That would be interesting, though I figure such a significant jump in technology would be pretty noteworthy. I don't think "not wanting to be called Robocop" is sufficient excuse for concealing it. Maybe avoiding public fear over that level of transhumanism, though. There are still prejudices in this universe against AIs, and as indicated by Claire, mankind hasn't overcome their biases against transgender folk (presumably racism is still around, since the universe is more or less ours with robots). Blending humans and AIs like that is just a whole other level of differences for the ignorant to hate.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #64 on: 12 Sep 2017, 23:19 »

I've got to say that I do understand Roko's fear here. It's obvious that many AIs really do see their chassis as 'my body' and have the same fear response any organic would have to the concept of someone opening it up, even though the details are slightly different. No-one is entirely happy to see their inner bits.

So, what I'm wondering is whether Faye and Bubbles need to start stocking distraction methods. Possibly even use certain scents to induce a somatic trance in their 'patients'. If nothing else, what would be the AI equivalent of giving the customer a lollypop for being a good little bot whilst the doctor looked at you?

You misread. I said 'processes'. In other words, the person's subconscious mind decided that that they need it. This happens in humans all the time; why shouldn't it happen in AIs, whom it is very clear were created to imitate how the human mind words very closely?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #65 on: 13 Sep 2017, 00:02 »

You misread. I said 'processes'. In other words, the person's subconscious mind decided that that they need it. This happens in humans all the time;

Does it? You mean psychosomatic conditions are a result of the subconscious mind "wanting"/"needing" it? This is news to me. Can you provide a link? I'd like to read about it.

Edit: Of course you can't, it's bullshit.
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2017, 15:12 by Tova »
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Tlaloc

• Larger than most fish
  • Out of Work Rain Deity
« Reply #66 on: 13 Sep 2017, 00:35 »

If all Bubbles and Faye got is a road flare as a substitute for a candle does that mean they actually used those candles they got from May and Momo? 

If Roko is this difficult of a patient maybe the person who does their repairs isn't so bad and just has really poor bedside manners.

Mailman wearing cologne probably wouldn't help anyway
The point where Existentialist, Taoist and Buddhist thought meet is fascinating.

What goes on inside matters more than what goes on without? If the world beyond our skulls is a cypher that only we can provide meaning to & control is an illusion, what can we expect of ourselves or others?

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #67 on: 13 Sep 2017, 00:37 »

They can always send for tea.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

DannyboyTheDane

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #68 on: 13 Sep 2017, 02:33 »

Was Bubbles so flustered by Faye's comment on her clothing that she decided to strip down? Although it hasn't been presented as completely analogous, my instinctual impression is that she's standing around in her underwear right now ... Great, now I'm flustered!

EDIT: Also, I hadn't drawn any connection between Melon's and May's chassis being similar; I simply read it as Bubbles remarking on Melon being eccentric.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #69 on: 13 Sep 2017, 03:35 »

You know what, that is an excellent little theory!
Have a gold star!

http://www.envirocarems.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Gold-Star.jpg

(Christ! That's huge! Modified to a link!!)

Modified AGAIN cos I just had another thought which adds to the theory...

Roko... (Rock-oh)

BUT it could also be read as: RoKo  (Row, Co.)  (Row. Co. = Robo Cop) !!!!
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2017, 03:41 by JoeCovenant »
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #70 on: 13 Sep 2017, 03:38 »

They can always send for tea.

Yup - my first thought too!
Tea should ALWAYS be sent for...

(or should that be scent for)
Covenant

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #71 on: 13 Sep 2017, 05:14 »

Was Bubbles so flustered by Faye's comment on her clothing that she decided to strip down? Although it hasn't been presented as completely analogous, my instinctual impression is that she's standing around in her underwear right now ... Great, now I'm flustered!

EDIT: Also, I hadn't drawn any connection between Melon's and May's chassis being similar; I simply read it as Bubbles remarking on Melon being eccentric.

Bubbles just didn't want to get her new clothes dirty at work.

And I don't think that May and Melon have the same chassis. Based on what Bubbles said, Melon chose her chassis, and I doubt she'd choose one that's been called an "AnthroPC Reformchassis" as May's was.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

heyjames4

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #72 on: 13 Sep 2017, 05:57 »

Scented candles, or any open flame, are counter-indicated in an environment where they'll be welding. And the aromatic oils in the air may interfere with sensitive components. Steeped tea close up is probably for the best.

kallibean

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #73 on: 13 Sep 2017, 07:00 »

The fact that when we see Bubbles with tea it's in some kind of fantasy (e.g. background replaced, images not present in that setting), and now a candle is being asked for during what is akin to day-surgery, for anxiety (similar to how people may ask for sedatives for blood draws etc), can we assume that scents have the function of anaesthesia for AI chassis?

Otherwise, one would wonder, with all this about programs for senses, why it seems significantly common for AIs have this kind of sensitivity (Winslow's new chassis has it, even).

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #74 on: 13 Sep 2017, 07:10 »

The fact that when we see Bubbles with tea it's in some kind of fantasy (e.g. background replaced, images not present in that setting), and now a candle is being asked for during what is akin to day-surgery, for anxiety (similar to how people may ask for sedatives for blood draws etc), can we assume that scents have the function of anaesthesia for AI chassis?

According to Bubbles, every scent provokes its own unique sensory reaction. Hannelore is adept at blending teas that create a strong hallucinogenic effect. However, yes, I imagine that there are some blends that create a feedback loop which, until it fades out, induces a somatic state where the central processor is unable to process sensory data and the AI is in state not unlike sleep mode.
~~~~

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #75 on: 13 Sep 2017, 08:33 »

According to Bubbles, every scent provokes its own unique sensory reaction. Hannelore is adept at blending teas that create a strong hallucinogenic effect. However, yes, I imagine that there are some blends that create a feedback loop which, until it fades out, induces a somatic state where the central processor is unable to process sensory data and the AI is in state not unlike sleep mode.

I think the only problem is that Roko doesn't want to *see* her parts come off, not that any anaesthesia is required.
Tea would be the perfect solution... still open to outside stimulus, but seeing nothing but rainbows...
Covenant

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #76 on: 13 Sep 2017, 11:28 »

Welcome, new person!

So, she can't take foot-removal in stride?

More seriously, is this telling us something about how AIs interpret their bodies? If dismemberment is that disturbing to them then they must have a more human-like attachment to their bodies, as opposed to treating them as a change of clothes.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #77 on: 13 Sep 2017, 11:41 »

I  love Bubbles in the last panel.  I had to chortle softly (I am at work), over the road flare and warranty bit.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #78 on: 13 Sep 2017, 13:44 »

More seriously, is this telling us something about how AIs interpret their bodies? If dismemberment is that disturbing to them then they must have a more human-like attachment to their bodies, as opposed to treating them as a change of clothes.

The view AIs have of their chassis are probably much like the taste of Soylent Green, it probably varies from person to person.  It also may have to do with the way that the chassis is constructed.  Pintsize doesn't seem to object to being dismembered on a regular basis, although he's probably a pretty extreme oddity in most respects (I only brought him up because his limbs seem designed to be detachable).
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #79 on: 13 Sep 2017, 13:47 »

So, she can't take foot-removal in stride?
[[[GROAN]]]

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #80 on: 13 Sep 2017, 16:30 »

Roko appears to be the odd one out on this. Most of the other robots we've seen are not as bothered by having parts taken off. Pintsize seems to seek it out. May was more bothered by the fact that with her arm falling off it was difficult to work rather than horror. Melon launcher her tuchus as some sort of a lark. The robots at the fighting ring faced dismemberment regularly, some of them with a smile. So far only Roko has shown distress of being disassembled, even for requested repair work.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #81 on: 13 Sep 2017, 16:53 »

Seems that Roko  has some trust issues.  would be interesting to find out just what caused that or whether it's just because she's a Police AI.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Storel

« Reply #82 on: 13 Sep 2017, 17:07 »

I've got to say that I do understand Roko's fear here. It's obvious that many AIs really do see their chassis as 'my body' and have the same fear response any organic would have to the concept of someone opening it up, even though the details are slightly different. No-one is entirely happy to see their inner bits.

So, what I'm wondering is whether Faye and Bubbles need to start stocking distraction methods. Possibly even use certain scents to induce a somatic trance in their 'patients'. If nothing else, what would be the AI equivalent of giving the customer a lollypop for being a good little bot whilst the doctor looked at you?

Can't Roko just look away or close her eyes while her foot is being detached? That's what I do any time I'm having blood drawn or receiving a vaccination shot: I feel disturbed when I see needles penetrating my skin, so I just look away. No unconsciousness or hallucinations required.

Gyrre

« Reply #83 on: 13 Sep 2017, 17:39 »

Certainly Roko's foot in the third panel in the strip flexes as if it had toe "bones" within the sock of her skin. The toe of her foot looks squarer than a human foot, though, so she might have the equivalent of big toes on both sides of her foot, for example.

A thing that Officer Roko Basilisk has, that no other robot in the strip apparently possesses, is a surname. I wonder if this was a requirement of police department bureaucracy (or just Jeph's word-play).

Good catch.

I wonder if the in universe explanation has to do with cops calling each other by their last names (or is that just on tv)? If so, perhaps she picked 'Basilisk' because she thought it sounded cool/badass/authoritative. Which could also back up BenRG's assertion that Roko has the psychological maturity of a teenager.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #84 on: 13 Sep 2017, 18:22 »

Calling it now:
The problem is an unpopped popcorn kernel that has found its way into unbidden territory.
(not like that's ever been a problem for me...)
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #85 on: 13 Sep 2017, 21:00 »

Can't Roko just look away or close her eyes while her foot is being detached? That's what I do any time I'm having blood drawn or receiving a vaccination shot: I feel disturbed when I see needles penetrating my skin, so I just look away. No unconsciousness or hallucinations required.

Usually I have to look, because most of the time I don't feel the needles go in.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Narrow Century

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
    • The Narrow Century
« Reply #86 on: 13 Sep 2017, 23:08 »

The whole "insurance" thing raises an interesting question about the setting. Is chassis insurance provided by your job, like health insurance, or do AI's need to cover it themselves, like car insurance? On the one hand, for many working AI's, their chassis is much more important to their ability to function than a car is to a human, but on the other hand, a chassis malfunctioning isn't likely to be an existential threat in the same way that a health crisis is.

So, two questions for the crowd.

1. How SHOULD this work, if you were in a position to dictate it?
2. How DOES it work in the setting, by your estimation/cynicism?
Podcast and Sundries at narrowcentury.com

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #87 on: 13 Sep 2017, 23:25 »

Okay, so now we have it confirmed: Roko's problem with mechanics is actually some manner of anxiety issue bordering on being a kind of robo-hypochondria. Like Hannelore, she always imagines the worst and literally has a panic attack at the thought of medical treatment. It's a time when you need calm, professional treatment, which is where Bubbles comes in.

Yeah, if Roko is a fan of animé, it's unlikely that she'd assume that the big, heavily-built one would also be smart. It isn't a slur on Bubbles, it's just cultural programming of a less literal kind!

Now I'm going to spend the rest of the day hearing: "It is true. I do not sparkle." in my mental voice for Bubbles, which is kind of like Bea Arthur (Fun fact: Bea was a Marine in WW2!)!
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2017, 23:45 by BenRG »
~~~~

Gyrre

« Reply #88 on: 13 Sep 2017, 23:40 »

You know what, that is an excellent little theory!
Have a gold star!

http://www.envirocarems.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Gold-Star.jpg

(Christ! That's huge! Modified to a link!!)

Modified AGAIN cos I just had another thought which adds to the theory...

Roko... (Rock-oh)

BUT it could also be read as: RoKo  (Row, Co.)  (Row. Co. = Robo Cop) !!!!

Or maybe RoKo = 'Rotating Agent Koko'.

EDIT: whoops, that's pretty big. Resized it.
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2017, 02:11 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #89 on: 13 Sep 2017, 23:45 »

Now I'm going to spend the rest of the day hearing: "It is true. I do not sparkle." in my mental voice for Bubbles, which is kind of like Bea Arthur (Fun fact: Bea was a Marine in WW2!)!

Really I imagine her voice is similar to R Dorthy Waynewright's voice actor, Lia Sargent or Gwendoline Christie. 

While I do believe Bubbles is the brains of this outfit I think her military experience makes her highly adept with bureaucracy and red tape so handling the paperwork is easy for her.     

Tlaloc

• Larger than most fish
  • Out of Work Rain Deity
« Reply #90 on: 14 Sep 2017, 00:38 »

I had the impression that RoKo underestimated Bubbles because she did not expect the AI in a Human-AI partnership to take the lead, look at most examples we have and you have a fair argument that while AI have agency they're somewhat dependant to some degree on their people. They are all companions in some aspect, even Pintsize.

Bubbles breaks this trend, being quite autonomous and choosing the union with Faye because she wishes to.
The point where Existentialist, Taoist and Buddhist thought meet is fascinating.

What goes on inside matters more than what goes on without? If the world beyond our skulls is a cypher that only we can provide meaning to & control is an illusion, what can we expect of ourselves or others?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #91 on: 14 Sep 2017, 01:02 »

This is a bit of a sidetrack, but has anyone yet brought up the idea that Roko's name is most likely a reference to Roko's Basilisk? I feel as though someone must have mentioned it and I've just missed it, but a search bore no fruit. This idea was mentioned on the QC wiki.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #92 on: 14 Sep 2017, 01:29 »

The whole "insurance" thing raises an interesting question about the setting. Is chassis insurance provided by your job, like health insurance, or do AI's need to cover it themselves, like car insurance? On the one hand, for many working AI's, their chassis is much more important to their ability to function than a car is to a human, but on the other hand, a chassis malfunctioning isn't likely to be an existential threat in the same way that a health crisis is.

Welcome, new person with thoughtful questions!

1. I haven't even figured out how health insurance for humans should work. It should be universal enough that there will never again be a case like May's.
2. Everything related to synthetics in the QC universe is a work in progress. I expect that chassis insurance is a set of hasty improvisations being changed and fixed rapidly.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gyrre

« Reply #93 on: 14 Sep 2017, 01:56 »

There are those people who are overly attached to their automobiles.
a real-ass gaddam sword

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #94 on: 14 Sep 2017, 02:00 »

I haven't even figured out how health insurance for humans should work. It should be universal enough that there will never again be a case like May's.

{political digression}
Framing your question in terms of "insurance" is already implicitly limiting it to a commercial transaction and thus subtly sidelining the possibility of fully social healthcare.
{/political digression}
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #95 on: 14 Sep 2017, 02:13 »

So Fay, you are, I fear, just the human face of the operation.

Think she's going to have to work on her customer care though.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #96 on: 14 Sep 2017, 02:14 »

• I suspect it isn't that dissimilar to how health insurance for humans works IRL. The big difference is that probably a lot of the legislation is a hangover from when AIs were property with legally-protected rights rather than people. Maintenance is the responsibility of the 'owner/operator', in real terms, the AI's human companion or employer. However, with the declaration that AIs are independent people in their own right, the legislation has been hastily redrafted to give AIs the option of procuring their own insurance in the event that they are fully independent of any human;
    • The problem is basically the same as it is with humans. Specifically, it's expensive and not everyone can afford it. Additionally, some synthetics can't get it for a variety of commercial reasons (such as the insurance companies being unwilling to give good terms for those in 'high risk' occupations or who have chassis with known flaws that will require regular and expensive upkeep/maintenance). Whilst the military and the police, for example, likely have their own internal system for arranging and carrying out repairs, it is probably very bureaucratic and I have the feeling that it is quicker and easier for people like Roko to find an independent contractor and arrange something personally out of her own pocket.
    In summary? I think that Roko will prefer to pay Bubbles and Faye cash-in-hand rather than wait months for the Massachusetts State Police's internal bureaucracy to audit and approve her claim.
    [/list]
    ~~~~

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
    « Reply #97 on: 14 Sep 2017, 03:08 »

I had the impression that RoKo underestimated Bubbles because she did not expect the AI in a Human-AI partnership to take the lead, look at most examples we have and you have a fair argument that while AI have agency they're somewhat dependant to some degree on their people. They are all companions in some aspect, even Pintsize.

Bubbles breaks this trend, being quite autonomous and choosing the union with Faye because she wishes to.
    On the other hand, you do have Corpse Witch, as an earlier entrepreneurial example, and Punchbot, as a CPA. Roko herself seems fairly independent. Now, of course, there is the fact, that she's only ever met Bubbles before she took her armour off, when Faye was standing up for her, and she was heavily limited by the CW's proverbial stick behind the door.

Part of this view might just be that we're fairly limited in the AI's we've met up to now.

{political digression}
    Framing your question in terms of "insurance" is already implicitly limiting it to a commercial transaction and thus subtly sidelining the possibility of fully social healthcare.
    {/political digression}

I think it depends on how you frame it exactly. Where I live, there's the state's health insurance, which is run by the state, and a number of not for profit organisations. Partially it's a holdover from earlier union efforts.

As for chassis insurance, I think we need to first solve the issue of who is the legal owner of the chassis in question. It's not that hard to imagine a corporation investing in a certain type of chassis, and putting it to its (AI) workers disposition. Or indeed, a human companion buying one for their AI companion. Add to that that it seems very easy to switch chassis,...
    AI are independent people with civic rights, that much we know. On what basis do they have those rights? Is it on the basis of consciousness, i.e. just their mind? If a certain chassis were to be coupled to make up the individual AI citizen, that would be problematic, and more than one of our characters is potentially in trouble.

Insurance efficiency, considering the chassis to be essentially disposable, I should think is much the same as with a car insurance.

Now, another question; how much is Union Robotics going to charge officer Basilisk, if the issue turns out to trace back to a certain raccoon incident?
    Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
    « Reply #98 on: 14 Sep 2017, 03:33 »

I think that Roko will prefer to pay Bubbles and Faye cash-in-hand rather than wait months for the Massachusetts State Police's internal bureaucracy to audit and approve her claim.
    I doubt they would approve her claim. They'd say she should have used the in-house jerk.
    In this country 'cash-in-hand' implies a transaction that the tax man will be unaware of and not receive his share of.  Is that the case over there? I can certainly imagine Roko paying for the work out of personal funds, but having it off the books seems unlikely.

BenRG

• coprophage
    « Reply #99 on: 14 Sep 2017, 03:39 »

@JimC,

In the terms I mean, I'm saying that Roko would prefer to deal directly with Universal without involving the MSP in any way. In tax terms, figuring out their tax liability on the income will be something for Bubbles and Faye to later (likely with Punchbot's help).
    ~~~~

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up