THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something and nothing...  (Read 6731 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Something and nothing...
« on: 07 Oct 2017, 10:00 »

Perhaps we need a thread for odd unrelated bits of news which don't really deserve to go in the Pointless thread, but don't need to be in the Discuss! forum either...

For starters:

Horse show to be powered entirely by horse shit.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: Something and nothing...
« Reply #1 on: 07 Oct 2017, 10:39 »

Well, that was interesting, because at first I thought it said "Horse shown to be powered entirely by horse shit".
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #2 on: 08 Oct 2017, 14:54 »

There is nothing new under the sun. Cow-dung-fuelled Stirling Engine. Bio-gas derived from animal faeces is quite widely used to fuel electric generators in poor countries.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #3 on: 09 Oct 2017, 15:35 »

My paper tells me that a survey in thirteen countries has shown that the amount of time people spend each day trying to find TV programs they want to watch is 51 minutes (up 13% from last year).

Nearly an hour a day just switching channels?  Really?

Also, 80% of video on demand usage is by under-35s - that's not such a surprise, I guess.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #4 on: 09 Oct 2017, 15:41 »

I wonder if it means not switching channels and instead scanning all the options on Netflix or whatever on demand service of choice.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #5 on: 09 Oct 2017, 15:46 »

My typical Netflix session:
1) Open Chrome (with Netflix as default page)
2) Look at suggestions
3) Get bored with scrolling through things I don't want to watch
4) Close Chrome
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #6 on: 09 Oct 2017, 16:17 »

I wonder if it means not switching channels and instead scanning all the options on Netflix or whatever on demand service of choice.

Maybe - that phrasing was mine.  But the idea of spending that time just looking for something to settle on is the same.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #7 on: 09 Oct 2017, 17:58 »

My paper tells me that a survey in thirteen countries has shown that the amount of time people spend each day trying to find TV programs they want to watch is 51 minutes (up 13% from last year).

Also, 80% of video on demand usage is by under-35s - that's not such a surprise, I guess.
This became obvious to me after I moved back to my parents' house after graduating. I'd not watched TV regularly for about three years. When I sat down in front of the TV after that there was very little that didn't make me acutely aware that I was wasting my time watching vapid bullshit.

By contrast, the vapid bullshit on the internet is far more effective in distracting me from how precious seconds of my life are ticking away. Hahahahaaaaaaaaargh.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #8 on: 09 Oct 2017, 21:03 »

That does sound pretty bogus. If 51 minutes is supposed to be an average, it would imply that half the audience spent longer, which sounds even more improbable.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #9 on: 09 Oct 2017, 23:36 »

Sure.  I wondered if it was more loosely defined - time spent watching programs not to completion, for instance.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2017, 02:23 »

"Probably nothing.
Logically something.
Possibly anything."

— Boss Leader, Paranatural

Sorry, I saw the thread title and just had to quote that.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.
Pages: [1]   Go Up