THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 23:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Friday 13th is Coming! Horror Plot Ideas!

Attack of the Fifty Foot Corpse Witch!
- 2 (4.3%)
Pintsize activates the diagnostic mode in all the empty chassis! Night of the Zombie Robots!
- 13 (28.3%)
It turns out that CoD's Espresso Machine really is a Dark God! It HUNGERS FOR SOULS!
- 10 (21.7%)
Beware the Nice Guy: Marten the Mad Killer!
- 3 (6.5%)
The Haunting: Northampton - Suddenly Faye can see ALL of the ghosts.. and they're not nice people!
- 5 (10.9%)
It turns out May wasn't inside for embezzlement! She doesn't like fleshies!
- 0 (0%)
Pintsize shouldn't have turned on Winslow's old chassis - Child's Play, the iPad Edition!
- 5 (10.9%)
Dora really is a Dark Witch! Now she wants REVENGE!
- 1 (2.2%)
Station and the Kill-Drones do an Amytiville Horror in space! (Hanners should have kissed him!)
- 5 (10.9%)
Other (please specify in a comment)
- 2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3586-3590 (9th to 13th October 2017)  (Read 27814 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Okay, I thought that I would be really, really silly this week. :laugh:

As this week ends with a Friday 13th, what kind of horror AU/spin off/parody/bad burrito hallucination plot would you like to see? Somehow, the idea of Marten being a theme killer in the style of Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Halloween secret sounds slightly funny, especially if Jeph writes it for laughs with Marten trying to do it passive-aggressively (not trying to kill people but by destroy them artistically with scathing anonymous flaming Internet reviews in the strongest Indie Art Snob tradition).

As for what is likely to really happen in this week's strips? I'm not entirely sure but I wonder if we're going to have more of either Bubbles trying to look after Faye as best as she can or possibly May developing an addiction to hugs. The latter has a lot of comedic potential and I hope it would end with Faye and Bubbles discussing 'psychosomatic' responses in AIs.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
Re: WCDT Strips 3586-3590 (9th to 13th October 2017)
« Reply #1 on: 08 Oct 2017, 14:21 »

The Orcs invade
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2 on: 08 Oct 2017, 16:20 »

Dawn of the Butts.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #3 on: 08 Oct 2017, 17:14 »

Creepybot returns from his gulf coast surfing vacation and turns the hurricane generator off. 

TheEvilDog

« Reply #4 on: 08 Oct 2017, 19:28 »

Shippers squeeing themselves into a change of pants in 3...2...1

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #5 on: 08 Oct 2017, 20:01 »

Faye, stop teasing the poor giant robo-death machine.

Rincewind

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad
« Reply #6 on: 08 Oct 2017, 20:31 »

Just go with it, Bubbles.  As a large, hairy individual with a broken thermostat (I tend to run a temperature a few degrees above the norm) I've often found myself being snuggled by women (and cats) seeking warmth. Not a terrible situation, to be sure, until I need another beer (or to jettison the last one ).   :-D
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

foozlesprite

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #7 on: 08 Oct 2017, 20:52 »

Wow, looks like Bubbles really has the hots for Faye.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #8 on: 08 Oct 2017, 21:15 »

Another blush ...
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 08 Oct 2017, 22:29 »

Don't blush too hard you might burn Faye. 

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #10 on: 08 Oct 2017, 22:54 »

Aww, a Death Note reference :3

Re Friday 13th poll:

* Dora and Raven have a coven fight. Heck, I would even take a flashback.
* Through dark magic, Sara returns from being eaten by an allosaur

(Hey, one can hope.)
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #11 on: 08 Oct 2017, 23:13 »

AWWWWWW.

I'm starting to think Jeph is trolling the shippers now. Cute tho.

APersonAmI

• Plantmonster
« Reply #12 on: 08 Oct 2017, 23:15 »

Well, I am interested in seeing where this goes.

I picked Marten for the bad horror movie plot, mostly because it'd be nice for him to have a plot of any kind, really. His life not matching what he'd like it to be and his attempts to find one that works better for him, while something realistic to leave unresolved for quite some time, was ages ago. As was the comic estabalishing that he wanted to spend more time with the band. It feels wierd to me that we haven't seen more either of his success or of him being sad at the lack thereof.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #13 on: 08 Oct 2017, 23:39 »

Now there's a plot.

Marten the Mad Killer! Marten goes to increasingly dangerous and desperate lengths in order to break through the fourth wall and convince Jeph, one way or another, to give him a story arc. He will stop at nothing. Watch as Marten realises that his attempts to wrest a story arc out of Jeph have become his story arc, and then begins to lose his mind.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #14 on: 09 Oct 2017, 00:22 »

Poor Bubbles! It must be utterly hell for her to have crush on a woman who is, firstly, totally ignorant of it and, secondly, is one of those people who is really unselfconsciously into very close physical contact. I'm betting that she's going through a lot of punching bags right now! I mean, in panel 4 you can really see how desperately Bubbles wants to put her arm around Faye's shoulders and how frightened she is to do so. How long can Faye continue to miss these signs and keep inadvertently tormenting the poor girl?

I'm guessing that what comes next is passers-by mentioning what a cute couple Faye and Bubbles make. The reaction of our two principals to this mistaken compliment will be... instructive.
~~~~

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #15 on: 09 Oct 2017, 00:58 »

Poor Bubbles! It must be utterly hell for her to have crush on a woman who is, firstly, totally ignorant of it and, secondly, is one of those people who is really unselfconsciously into very close physical contact.

That's odd; Faye used to be extremely self-conscious about any sort of physical contact, didn't she? Or was that only about physical contact with people of the male persuasion?

I'm guessing that what comes next is passers-by mentioning what a cute couple Faye and Bubbles make. The reaction of our two principals to this mistaken compliment will be... instructive.

And the facial expressions will be... expressive. (Jeph does do excellent facial expressions, doesn't he?)

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #16 on: 09 Oct 2017, 02:19 »

It's ok Bubs, you can gently lower the arm and touch Faye in this situation...

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #17 on: 09 Oct 2017, 02:21 »

Poor Bubbles! It must be utterly hell for her to have crush on a woman who is, firstly, totally ignorant of it and, secondly, is one of those people who is really unselfconsciously into very close physical contact.

That's odd; Faye used to be extremely self-conscious about any sort of physical contact, didn't she? Or was that only about physical contact with people of the male persuasion?

Nope.  And in fact, she's been on the other side in a rather similar situation:

"But you're so warm!"

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #18 on: 09 Oct 2017, 03:24 »

Bollthorn

« Reply #19 on: 09 Oct 2017, 03:39 »

Faye and Bubbles are too damn cute together.

And Faye's face in panel 3 ^.^
"Oh Eddie... Why are you an alcoholic?"

"... Because I drink a lot."

brightwings00

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #20 on: 09 Oct 2017, 04:22 »

So... it's not bad that I read the entire page and went into a ten, fifteen-second long giggle fit of glee?

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #21 on: 09 Oct 2017, 04:23 »

I personally always liked the idea of the humanoid AIs having really hot breath as their way of dissipating heat because it would seem a bit more out-there.  This is much more cute though.

Edit: Clearly with all this foreshadowing this strip was planned YEARS in advance!  :-D
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2017, 04:29 by blt »
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #22 on: 09 Oct 2017, 05:23 »

Another blush ...
I don't know if it's been discussed here before, but... why do robots blush? And how?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #23 on: 09 Oct 2017, 05:33 »

It has been discussed before. I think the general speculation is that the AIs' chassis' have the ability to blush built into them because the objective when designing a humanoid chassis is to replicate human behaviours and body language as closely as possible. This allows AIs and humans to communicate and empathise closely and easily.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #24 on: 09 Oct 2017, 06:24 »

Bear in mind as well that blushing doesn't just indicate embarrassment, it can also show anger. Now, I'm not saying that Bubbles is angry right now, but just as Tova said, AI are created to mimic key human behaviours. Blushing is just one of those key behaviours. As to how, well, I imagine its AI Magic. Either that, or a subroutine in the AI programming activates and floods the chassis face with cooling fluid or lights up some LEDs or something. Otherwise, AI Magic.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #25 on: 09 Oct 2017, 07:10 »

Another blush ...
I don't know if it's been discussed here before, but... why do robots blush? And how?

Well it does appear that her processes kicked into overdrive there, so she has to quickly dump that extra heat somewhere....

Joking aside, a lot of it probably has to do with making anthropc bodies with that much human like detailing as human as they can to avoid the uncanny valley effect. Blushing, nervous ticks, eyes moving and blinking. None of it would be necessary for a robot body, but if they didn't do that sort of thing it freaks people out as they realize something isn't right looking at them. Also, for a human-like anthropc body putting a lot of the heat exhaust into the head makes sense. Since they wear clothing more often than not putting heat sinks in the torso would have their effectiveness reduced. Also they really don't want metal fins poking out of their bodies if they're trying to look human. So internal sinks that blow hot hair through the mouth and nose would be the way to go. Also probably use the cranium/hair extensions to radiate heat. But none of that would be terribly efficient, so they would tend to run hot, and if they had an excess of heat generation then dumping it through the face, causing a blush would make sense as it's the most exposed part of the body.

tustin2121

• Plantmonster
« Reply #26 on: 09 Oct 2017, 09:20 »

I question whether Faye really is completely oblivious to Bubble's reactions or not. She's far too self-aware of things to NOT notice Bubble's reactions (especially since Bubbles basically out-and-out admitted her affection once before). I think it's more likely that Faye is teasing Bubbles a whole bunch, acting like she doesn't know. After all, she basically teases everyone she's close with. That's her normal mode of operation.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #27 on: 09 Oct 2017, 09:33 »

What does it mean that Faye is initiating snuggling for once? Is it just a lot of emotional progress or is it affection for Bubbles?

It's a somewhat odd thing to do with a co-worker or business partner.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #28 on: 09 Oct 2017, 09:37 »

Other - the espresso machine IS an AI, but it's not a Dark God, it's Pintsize's AI equivalent of a frat brother.  He's just as fond of pranks, but more subtle.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #29 on: 09 Oct 2017, 12:13 »

She's far too self-aware of things to NOT notice Bubble's reactions

I strongly disagree with this interpretation of Faye. Faye can be pretty oblivious, especially when it's inconvenient for her to think something.

(especially since Bubbles basically out-and-out admitted her affection once before).

Right. But considering this followed the accidentally-flirting conversation? Odds are high she just interpreted this, at the time, as awkward phrasing rather than a sincere admission of a crush. Bubbles does talk in a stilted, formal manner, after all.

(Which I adore.)

I have to admit, I had very strongly negative opinions of both these characters a while ago, and Jeph's gone above and beyond the call of duty making them into two of my favourite cast members. Part of it's the temporal nature of the comic, in hindsight; Stuff that goes on over months and months intended to be re-read in the span of minutes. In that context, a character that took 8 months to develop only took 160 pages with a shared cast...

I was also a little suspicious, as this was after Marigold's long run as being a creator pet despite any really redeeming characteristics, as well as Claire's descent from being the interesting librarian girl to... well another Indie Chick Martin dates. I still like Claire, but Bubbles and Faye's rock bottom definitely came at a time I was less-than-confident at Jeph's ability to write redeeming arcs for them.

Gotta say, it's not a mistake I'm going to make again for a long time. This year's probably been the most consistently strong character writing since I started reading... six years ago? Christ. Christ. I'm glad working on other projects has encouraged Jeph to take a lot more risks with his work, it's been showing immensely.

EDIT: MrNumbers reads back over what he wrote and makes jerk-off motions at himself, but doesn't actually change anything
oh god

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #30 on: 09 Oct 2017, 13:36 »

One can truly say Bubbles has the hots for Faye   :claireface:
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #31 on: 09 Oct 2017, 13:43 »

Well, the 'pleasantly warms' anyway!
~~~~

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #32 on: 09 Oct 2017, 16:06 »

Funny for Faye, disturbing for Bubbles  :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #33 on: 09 Oct 2017, 16:10 »

So is Faye deliberately pretending not to notice the signals she's getting from Bubbles, or is she missing them? She probably doesn't have Bubbles filed in her mind among potential romantic partners.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

David F

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #34 on: 09 Oct 2017, 16:41 »

She probably doesn't have Bubbles filed in her mind among potential romantic partners.

Considering how she reacted when she realized Bubbles had a sensitive nose... http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3167

Faye's going to figure this out at some point, and her reaction should be priceless.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #35 on: 09 Oct 2017, 19:28 »

Also an unusual thing to say to a business partner.

Bubbles might only mean it esthetically, but I think Bubbles is not sure what she means.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #36 on: 09 Oct 2017, 19:48 »

Yeah, Bubbles has it bad.

We're going to have to deal with this sooner or later.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #37 on: 09 Oct 2017, 19:49 »

Okay, now Faye is blushing too.

And Jeph did the cat smile in the newspost and nothing else.

I'm kind of not sure that this is just outright shipper teasing and nothing else, anymore. Last time I recall the use of the cat smile in a newspost was back when Marten and Claire were more fully established as a thing going forward. I can't definitively say that it hasn't been used at all since then, but the context speaks volumes, imo.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #38 on: 09 Oct 2017, 19:58 »

On one hand: Awwww.

On the other: I really hope this doesn't crash & burn...

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #39 on: 09 Oct 2017, 21:04 »

Today's comic really brings it home, but Bubbles looks so much more relaxed and natural than she did when we first met her. Which is only natural given the story arc she's been through. But it's especially noticeable with a couple of links to older pages. It goes beyond the drastically different hair style and gym suit replacing her armor. She's so much more expressive, less guarded. And really, panel five. That's all I have to say there.

theMarc

• Oh God, it's all over my body.
« Reply #40 on: 09 Oct 2017, 21:37 »

Sorry, I had to:
(click to show/hide)
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #41 on: 09 Oct 2017, 22:38 »

Kiss-ass?  I thought Bubbles was the brains and brawn behind this operation?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #42 on: 09 Oct 2017, 23:24 »

Sorry, I had to:
(click to show/hide)

What pleasure can there possibly be in such an ugly meme?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #43 on: 09 Oct 2017, 23:27 »

"Of course" she uses Celsius?  That's an external interface conversion for human convenience - internally she works in Kelvin.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

SotFX

• Plantmonster
« Reply #44 on: 09 Oct 2017, 23:33 »

You know, with the entire thing about not being able to eat things, I wonder if Hanners is going to pass that on to her father to develop a patch that allows the AI bodies to taste, or some equipment to allow it...

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #45 on: 09 Oct 2017, 23:48 »

It shouldn't be hard to do,  as our sense of taste is mostly done by smell anyway.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #46 on: 09 Oct 2017, 23:52 »

Aww! Like neurocase says, you can just see in panel 6 that Faye responds with a blush! The real question now is whether Faye is ready (or willing) in herself to realise the implications of what Bubbles has been saying and doing for months now towards her. As her friend, Faye owes it to Bubbles to respond honestly and empathetically to her feelings; if she doesn't reciprocate, Bubbles deserves be be let down gently and early rather than strung along.

So, how will Faye react to this? I'm betting a slow-burn realisation that falls into place during the day. After that, we'll have a week's strip of a semi-panic-stricken Faye asking Marten, Dora and possibly Claire about what to do. Marten would probably be the most help as Dora would be mostly "Yeah, hit that right now, girl!" and Claire would be all "Squee! So cute!"

I'm honestly expecting Faye and Bubbles to go on a strange, awkward date together to see if their relationship can actually work as anything other than a close friendship and how that works out will be our final indication on where Jeph is taking this pairing: Close friends, a sisterly bond like that between Faye and Dora or romantic.

You know, with the entire thing about not being able to eat things, I wonder if Hanners is going to pass that on to her father to develop a patch that allows the AI bodies to taste, or some equipment to allow it...

I've long thought that it would be a relatively trivial and obvious modification for military-grade chassis for them to be able to eat biological hydrocarbons and use the resulting processed chemicals as fuel for some kind of auxiliary power cell. There are some engineering issues like how to deal with the processes' gaseous and solid waste products (although we humans have largely resolved that problem for ourselves, it's just a matter of learning to deal with synthetics with the same hygiene needs as us).

However, on the issue of a sense of taste, it would inevitably be another experience that synthetics have that would be different to ours, much like their chemical analysis 'sense of smell'.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2017, 00:06 by BenRG »
~~~~

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #47 on: 10 Oct 2017, 00:04 »

I retract. Faye is blushing. Flirting has commenced.

Alright. I'm seeing how this week plays out but then I'm breaking out my typewriter.
oh god

oddtail

« Reply #48 on: 10 Oct 2017, 00:39 »

OK, so first of all: the comic is adorable. Certainly my top five ever in that respect. I kinda needed that with the week I'm having. I love Bubbles' expression when she says the "you're beautiful" line. I'm a bit sad for her (at least for now), because I think Faye does not register an AI in a robotic body as a possible romantic partner, and she's being somewhat oblivious. But I expected once she has a "oooooooooh!" moment, Faye might react positively, so I await that possibly happening. If that happens, I will squee at frequencies only dogs can hear.

Secondly: I know this is a universe with super-advanced technology, but I wonder how the chemical sensors that serve as "smell" work for AI. The human olfactory sense is very complex and (despite the popular wisdom claiming otherwise, mostly because we tend to compare humans to animals whose sense of smell is EVEN better than ours) incredibly sensitive and fine-tuned to many different substances. My mother is a chemist by education and she tested food for a living, for some time. Her claim is that a human smell or taste (if it isn't dulled by regular smoking and the like) can actually detect much smaller traces of certain substances, if you're trained for that, than many simple chemical tests. In fact, in some cases only a rather expensive and complex (and somewhat time-consuming) analysis yields more precise results for certain substances than human senses.

Granted, that was a couple of decades ago, but while technology may progress fast, it doesn't progress SO fast that I'd believe it would make a huge jump in that respect.

Since I see no reason to disbelieve my mother's experience, technology that'd provide instant recognition of smells an order of magnitude better than a human nose's would be rather impressive indeed. I'd personally peg that as much more impressive than stuff like artificial muscle/bodies.

EDIT: now that I think about it, it's perfectly possible that AI bodies feel certain smells much more strongly than humans, and certain smells weakly or not at all. It would be very difficult to notice this difference in most everyday situations, I imagine. Say, if a human and an AI had a completely different subjective experience of the same smell due to registering different chemical components, it would not likely come up in conversation, unless a human and an AI were comparing two smells ("what do you MEAN those two smell alike?").
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2017, 00:50 by oddtail »

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #49 on: 10 Oct 2017, 00:49 »

Yeah, Bubbles has it bad.

We're going to have to deal with this sooner or later.

Duh! : D
...and Bubbles loves Faye.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up