THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Friday 13th is Coming! Horror Plot Ideas!

Attack of the Fifty Foot Corpse Witch!
- 2 (4.3%)
Pintsize activates the diagnostic mode in all the empty chassis! Night of the Zombie Robots!
- 13 (28.3%)
It turns out that CoD's Espresso Machine really is a Dark God! It HUNGERS FOR SOULS!
- 10 (21.7%)
Beware the Nice Guy: Marten the Mad Killer!
- 3 (6.5%)
The Haunting: Northampton - Suddenly Faye can see ALL of the ghosts.. and they're not nice people!
- 5 (10.9%)
It turns out May wasn't inside for embezzlement! She doesn't like fleshies!
- 0 (0%)
Pintsize shouldn't have turned on Winslow's old chassis - Child's Play, the iPad Edition!
- 5 (10.9%)
Dora really is a Dark Witch! Now she wants REVENGE!
- 1 (2.2%)
Station and the Kill-Drones do an Amytiville Horror in space! (Hanners should have kissed him!)
- 5 (10.9%)
Other (please specify in a comment)
- 2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3586-3590 (9th to 13th October 2017)  (Read 27805 times)

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
Re: WCDT Strips 3586-3590 (9th to 13th October 2017)
« Reply #50 on: 10 Oct 2017, 01:13 »

Well, I was always skeptical about how Bubbles felt about Faye, but this week's comics have finally got me convinced that this is a Thing. And I'm in a sufficiently mushy mood right now to find this adorable. The question is how long it will take for the both of them to realise and accept the existence of said Thing.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #51 on: 10 Oct 2017, 12:00 »

Why do I get the feeling that Bubbles just went from being a bit warm to full out blast furnace mode.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #52 on: 10 Oct 2017, 12:19 »

So... it's not bad that I read the entire page and went into a ten, fifteen-second long giggle fit of glee?
Uhhhh - it's Irish humor so be warned
(click to show/hide)

* Through dark magic, Sara returns from being eaten by an allosaur
(Hey, one can hope.)
Yikes that would be terrifying depending how big it was, how it consumed her and how effective it's digestive tract was.
Yeah - it is never fun for the immortals when they get swallowed whole - Sanity warning, this is disturbing on many levels but some consider it "funny"

Secondly: I know this is a universe with super-advanced technology, but I wonder how the chemical sensors that serve as "smell" work for AI. The human olfactory sense is very complex and (despite the popular wisdom claiming otherwise, mostly because we tend to compare humans to animals whose sense of smell is EVEN better than ours) incredibly sensitive and fine-tuned to many different substances. My mother is a chemist by education and she tested food for a living, for some time. Her claim is that a human smell or taste (if it isn't dulled by regular smoking and the like) can actually detect much smaller traces of certain substances, if you're trained for that, than many simple chemical tests. In fact, in some cases only a rather expensive and complex (and somewhat time-consuming) analysis yields more precise results for certain substances than human senses.

Granted, that was a couple of decades ago, but while technology may progress fast, it doesn't progress SO fast that I'd believe it would make a huge jump in that respect.

Since I see no reason to disbelieve my mother's experience, technology that'd provide instant recognition of smells an order of magnitude better than a human nose's would be rather impressive indeed. I'd personally peg that as much more impressive than stuff like artificial muscle/bodies.

EDIT: now that I think about it, it's perfectly possible that AI bodies feel certain smells much more strongly than humans, and certain smells weakly or not at all. It would be very difficult to notice this difference in most everyday situations, I imagine. Say, if a human and an AI had a completely different subjective experience of the same smell due to registering different chemical components, it would not likely come up in conversation, unless a human and an AI were comparing two smells ("what do you MEAN those two smell alike?").

Gas sensors on a chip have been a thing for a while now.
As for not that huge a jump in the technology, I would recon the tech has progressed about as fast as computer technology.
Mil Spec parts are usually more robust than anything commercial or used in a lab.
When you think about it, a military schnoz needs to detect various aromatic and volatile compounds used  in a combat theater - explosives, chemical agents, unwashed bodies, sepsis, decomposition - noting the levels of sensitivity required as well as the military penchant for going overboard on the specifications.
Also having a sniffer blown up is cheaper in resources and having the need to send out letters of condolence.

Humans are actually rather nose blind compared to the other species we associate with on a general level - it is only through training that we humans are able to discern faint variances and trace amounts. Add to that experience, training and a fast analysis turn around time compared to most bench-top systems the trained human almost always wins, BUT it looses on the sheer volume of samples handled, low downtime and repeatability of the tests.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #53 on: 10 Oct 2017, 12:25 »

My understanding and/or guess is that the human sense of smell is optimized for "is this okay to eat?", "is this person healthy, of my tribe, and otherwise safe to **** be around?", "are there any predators (including other humans/proto-humans) nearby?", and "is that water/a forest fire/etc that I scent on the breeze?"

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #54 on: 10 Oct 2017, 15:34 »

It's clear that Bubbles does feel ...... something for Faye at this point, though i suspect that she doesn't quite know or is unsure of what that is at the  moment is probably not clear to her.

Whether Faye is being deliberately oblivious to spare Bubbles feelings or is genuinely unaware of just what Bubbles may or may not be feeling is something that only time will resolve.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #55 on: 10 Oct 2017, 17:24 »

Another blush ...
I don't know if it's been discussed here before, but... why do robots blush? And how?

Well it does appear that her processes kicked into overdrive there, so she has to quickly dump that extra heat somewhere....

Joking aside, a lot of it probably has to do with making anthropc bodies with that much human like detailing as human as they can to avoid the uncanny valley effect. Blushing, nervous ticks, eyes moving and blinking. None of it would be necessary for a robot body, but if they didn't do that sort of thing it freaks people out as they realize something isn't right looking at them. Also, for a human-like anthropc body putting a lot of the heat exhaust into the head makes sense. Since they wear clothing more often than not putting heat sinks in the torso would have their effectiveness reduced. Also they really don't want metal fins poking out of their bodies if they're trying to look human. So internal sinks that blow hot hair through the mouth and nose would be the way to go. Also probably use the cranium/hair extensions to radiate heat. But none of that would be terribly efficient, so they would tend to run hot, and if they had an excess of heat generation then dumping it through the face, causing a blush would make sense as it's the most exposed part of the body.

The blinking could/would be necessary for cleaning guff off of the eye camera lense.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #56 on: 10 Oct 2017, 19:45 »

I was hoping for a discussion of how the inner experiences of humans and AIs differ.

Now I'm expecting Bubbles to go on about Faye's color harmonies and symmetry curves.
On an entirely objective basis...
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #57 on: 10 Oct 2017, 19:59 »

Is anyone a little worried about there being drama as people in the city may attack an AI/Human couple? As far as I know, besides Punchbot (Or his dopple, possibly) AI's and humans have never been shown as coupled that way.

I really hope that this version of the world would go beyond it, but we've already been shown that Bubbles has experienced some nasty prejudice against her. It could come right back round again, and throw the entire thing into jeopardy.

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #58 on: 10 Oct 2017, 22:51 »

Bubbles wryly messing with Faye, and sporting a little smirk in the last panel to boot? By QC standard, this is officially a mating ritual.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #59 on: 10 Oct 2017, 23:51 »

I'd say that there's a better than evens chance that Faye is going to make it her new life's mission to corrupt Bubbles expand Bubbles' artistic horizons as much as possible through exposure to popular music. Chances are good that Marten is going to come back to find Pintsize duct-taped to the wall and playing back his entire 1960s Merseybeat music collection (forced on him by his parents) whilst Faye is loudly insisting to Bubbles that it's 'deep'.

That said, Bubbles' smile in panel 4 makes me wonder if she's trolling Faye more than a little. In any case, how would anyone know if Ringo had been replaced by a robot duplicate? I mean, what would be the difference?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #60 on: 11 Oct 2017, 01:46 »

Is anyone a little worried about there being drama as people in the city may attack an AI/Human couple? As far as I know, besides Punchbot (Or his dopple, possibly) AI's and humans have never been shown as coupled that way.

I really hope that this version of the world would go beyond it, but we've already been shown that Bubbles has experienced some nasty prejudice against her. It could come right back round again, and throw the entire thing into jeopardy.

If violence against AI/Human relationships is a likely event, then I'd say Bubbles is fairly well equipped to lead the wedge.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #61 on: 11 Oct 2017, 02:19 »

And Keith Richards has been undead since at least 1970.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #62 on: 11 Oct 2017, 02:54 »

And Keith Richards has been undead since at least 1970.

Actually, a scarecrow made out of beef jerky.
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2017, 07:18 by neurocase »

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #63 on: 11 Oct 2017, 04:10 »

Is anyone a little worried about there being drama as people in the city may attack an AI/Human couple?

In Northampton? All I can say to that is that it is far, far less likely here than in most other places I've lived. We pride ourselves on our tolerance. Even our local bigots have mostly learned to live and let live - they might roll their eyes and say "What, we got robot lesbians now? Whatever!" But that's probably as far as it would go.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #64 on: 11 Oct 2017, 06:55 »

Is anyone a little worried about there being drama as people in the city may attack an AI/Human couple?

In Northampton? All I can say to that is that it is far, far less likely here than in most other places I've lived. We pride ourselves on our tolerance. Even our local bigots have mostly learned to live and let live - they might roll their eyes and say "What, we got robot lesbians now? Whatever!" But that's probably as far as it would go.

I'm not american, but I have a feeling that the country is far less tolerant these days. Anyway, maybe in the QCverse politics are not so cathastrofically interfering in people's behaviour... But even in the comics we've seen characters being discriminated (May) or worried about their safety (Claire).

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #65 on: 11 Oct 2017, 07:24 »

Welcome, new person!

Jeph has written about bigotry in the cases you remembered and with Faye's Aunt Betty. Interestingly, he says he doesn't like doing it. So it's possible that there will be prejudice against robosexuals but we'll never see it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #66 on: 11 Oct 2017, 09:43 »

I dunno folks, I may think my dog is beautiful, I may even share a bed with it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to start a physical relationship with the poor hound.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #67 on: 11 Oct 2017, 10:39 »

Err, where are you going with that? Faye isn't Bubble's dog. Bubbles and Faye are both people. Faye is sentient and can give informed consent to intimate relationships.

The comparison that lines up better is with inter-racial relationships.

Orrrr, were you heading toward the same point I was about to make, which is that Bubbles may be mistaking warm platonic affection for romantic feelings? That her real feelings toward Faye have more in common with the kind of love people have for their pets than with romance?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #68 on: 11 Oct 2017, 12:10 »

There's still a species boundary there, and although Pintsize has claimed gender is just a software setting for AI, Bubbs is presenting as female and I think this would be the first step in that direction ever for Faye. 

On both fronts, it's nowhere near an obvious thing.  Even if Bubbles is hoping, that's the sort of hopes that often wind up running smack into an inalterable reality that the object of one's affections, no matter how much they like you as a friend, just plain doesn't swing your way. 

It's actually worse if, for your sake, they try - but because of what the two of you both are that kind of attraction still doesn't happen for them.  In that direction you have recriminations, guilt, resentment, denial, passive-aggressive escalation of petty crap into major episodes, etc...  getting steadily worse until it explodes.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #69 on: 11 Oct 2017, 12:55 »

Which could be where we're heading since if Faye has feelings of her own for Bubbles we've seen no hint of them yet.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Shremedy

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #70 on: 11 Oct 2017, 14:08 »

1) I'm not worried about the robot sense of smell.  Its entirely plausible as chemical analysis, and unsurprisingly that human programming bias would be to have robots interpret such as scent.  It is especially plausible on a military chassis such as Bubbles or Pintsize, wherein being able to detect battlefield chemical agents would be a definite plus, if not an absolute requirement.  From a tactical reliability standpoint, the vivid robot hallucinations arbitrary scents can cause is worrisome; if a battlefield bio/chem agent can be dressed up to register on robot noses as purple lilies in a sun-drenched field, a lot of mere-human soldiers will die before they can react.

2) Bubbles HAS heard The Beatles even if she hasn't heard an actual Beatles song; the "sound" they pioneered is so completely entrenched in the "musical DNA" of America, that just about every band in every musical genre you can think of have utilized some element of it at some point in their career...which she will realize once she hears some actual Beatles....
"Because I dislike being quoted I lie almost constantly when talking about my work." -- Terry Gilliam

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #71 on: 11 Oct 2017, 15:28 »

I always wondered about that with Ringo  :-D

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #72 on: 11 Oct 2017, 16:26 »

Tell me about it. The dude's 77 years old and can still keep perfect rhythm in complex time signatures? OBVIOUSLY A ROBOT.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

MamiyaOtaru

• Plantmonster
« Reply #73 on: 11 Oct 2017, 16:53 »

Of course Bubbles has heard the Beatles.  She's just messing with Faye, made obvious by her comment about Wings.  And after Faye calls her on it, she drops the act and gives her analysis of the subliminal messages in the songs she obviously must have heard.

Gyrre

« Reply #74 on: 11 Oct 2017, 17:31 »

I'm not american, but I have a feeling that the country is far less tolerant these days. Anyway, maybe in the QCverse politics are not so cathastrofically interfering in people's behaviour... But even in the comics we've seen characters being discriminated (May) or worried about their safety (Claire).

Despite the regression over the past 5 years, we're more tolerant than we were 100 years ago.
Crap like Margaret Sanger's The Negro Project only happens behind high level closed doors these days.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Storel

« Reply #75 on: 11 Oct 2017, 17:46 »

Tell me about it. The dude's 77 years old and can still keep perfect rhythm in complex time signatures? OBVIOUSLY A ROBOT.

I've heard people claim that Ringo isn't actually all that good a drummer, and that a drum machine/robot would be an improvement. I don't care enough about drumming to be able to tell, myself, so it's interesting to hear contrasting viewpoints like this.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #76 on: 11 Oct 2017, 17:51 »

Neither do I, but that sounds suspiciously like hyperbole.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #77 on: 11 Oct 2017, 18:36 »

Of course Bubbles has heard the Beatles.  She's just messing with Faye, made obvious by her comment about Wings.  And after Faye calls her on it, she drops the act and gives her analysis of the subliminal messages in the songs she obviously must have heard.

Which is intriguingly advanced bantering technique. Where would Bubbles have learned it? Is it a natural talent?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #78 on: 11 Oct 2017, 19:00 »

She learned it from Faye, of course.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #79 on: 11 Oct 2017, 19:08 »

Aw. Aw. AW

« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2017, 19:28 by neurocase »

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #80 on: 11 Oct 2017, 19:21 »

I'm going to get a sugar crash from this week's comics.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Indicible

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Jaegermonster impersonator
« Reply #81 on: 11 Oct 2017, 23:23 »

Alternately, French special forces listen to Jean Rochefort reading from Alain's Mars, War unveiled.
Signature OF DOOM!

Storel

« Reply #82 on: 11 Oct 2017, 23:38 »

Alternately, French special forces listen to Jean Rochefort reading from Alain's Mars, War unveiled.

No, they listen to Marcel Marceau's Greatest Hits.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #83 on: 11 Oct 2017, 23:45 »

Faye? You're right: You'll never know whether or not Bubbles is just making stuff up to amuse you (and herself). She's just got that good a poker face (unlike poor Claire). So you might as well enjoy the banter!

It's a nice little touch, the last three panels. Maybe Faye's conscious mind isn't ready for anything else yet. However, she now knows that Bubbles thinks that she's beautiful and her hindbrain is happy to know this. Happy enough that she can sleep with the smile of someone who feels secure in themselves for possibly the first time in their adult life!

P.S.: Welcome back to the early strips tradition of jokes based on obscure and/or incomprehensible indie music references!
~~~~

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier
« Reply #84 on: 12 Oct 2017, 00:46 »

Was that a smile there? That looks like a smile....:o

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #85 on: 12 Oct 2017, 00:58 »

Was that a smile there? That looks like a smile....:o

A smile and a non-animé blush!
~~~~

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #86 on: 12 Oct 2017, 01:05 »

I've heard people claim that Ringo isn't actually all that good a drummer,

That is a hangover from the badly handled sacking of sacking of Pete Best from the Beatles in 1962.  He was arguably the most popular member of the group at that time, so there was much bad feeling, and to this day it is not entirely clear why it happened.  A comparison of three recordings of Love me Do, with Best, Ringo, and Andy White (a session drummer) suggested that Best was probably the least good of them.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheEvilDog

« Reply #87 on: 12 Oct 2017, 01:41 »

With regards to the comic, now imagine Bubbles' voice sounding exactly like James Blunt ("You're Beautiful").

Now imagine Bubbles remaining like that, permanently.

You're welcome.

avistel

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #88 on: 12 Oct 2017, 02:10 »

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #89 on: 12 Oct 2017, 02:30 »

An unnamed FOB near Kandahar, Afghanistan, 2014.

"Miissstaa B ..."

"The common porpoise has a prehensile ..."

"Untss Untss Untss ..."

"Vous m'avez mal compris; vous êtes idiot!"

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Bollthorn

• Balloon animal serial killer
"Oh Eddie... Why are you an alcoholic?"

"... Because I drink a lot."

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #91 on: 12 Oct 2017, 05:38 »

I'm tearing up here, guys. 

First time in a long time, too. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #92 on: 12 Oct 2017, 07:11 »

Awwww.

ronbo

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #93 on: 12 Oct 2017, 07:38 »

Has anyone brought up their obvious cute couple name?  Faybles?  Way better than Brangelina.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #94 on: 12 Oct 2017, 10:22 »

Which is intriguingly advanced bantering technique. Where would Bubbles have learned it? Is it a natural talent?
You learn it in basic training.  No GI can survive without bullshitting skills.

(Or are YOU pullin' our legs?)   :laugh:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #95 on: 12 Oct 2017, 13:09 »

How do people interpret Faye's falling asleep after remembering Bubbles's compliment? As opposed to following up with questions?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #96 on: 12 Oct 2017, 13:14 »

Wasn't properly awake enough to register that it should be questioned. Was awake enough for it to make her smile as she dozed off.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #97 on: 12 Oct 2017, 13:27 »

No, they listen to Marcel Marceau's Greatest Hits.
Didn't he have a speaking part at the end of that silent picture way back when?
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Tlaloc

• Larger than most fish
  • Out of Work Rain Deity
« Reply #98 on: 12 Oct 2017, 13:28 »

I can neither confirm or deny that Bubbles is spot on...
The point where Existentialist, Taoist and Buddhist thought meet is fascinating.

What goes on inside matters more than what goes on without? If the world beyond our skulls is a cypher that only we can provide meaning to & control is an illusion, what can we expect of ourselves or others?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #99 on: 12 Oct 2017, 15:23 »

How do people interpret Faye's falling asleep after remembering Bubbles's compliment? As opposed to following up with questions?

Previous experience tells me that every woman likes to be told they're beautiful. Because its nice to be complimented?

But in Faye's case, I imagine its the fact that someone complimented her and genuinely meant it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up