THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

QC D&D - Who is Your Questing Party (Choose Six)?

Marten - Human/Bard (Lawful-Neutral) - The archetypal Hapless Pawn of the Higher Powers
- 18 (7.7%)
Steve - Human/Fighter (Lawful-Neutral) - Freelancer sell-sword
- 16 (6.8%)
Pintsize - Halfling/Rogue (Chaotic-Good) - The source of most of Marten's everyday problems
- 10 (4.3%)
Faye - Human/Barbarian w. secondary crafting skill-set (Chaotic-Good) - Trying to find a place in the world
- 26 (11.1%)
Hannelore - Human/Cleric (Lawful-Good) w. Berserker alt persona (Chaotic-Evil) - Primary weapon is shovel
- 30 (12.8%)
Dora - Human/Merchant (True Neutral) - Treasure-hunter in her spare time
- 10 (4.3%)
Claire - Human/Mage (Lawful-Good) - In the final stage of her studies for her Mastery
- 21 (8.9%)
Marigold - Orc/Fighter (True Neutral) - A cobbler's daughter who wants to be a barbarian
- 11 (4.7%)
Dale - Human/Fighter (Lawful-Good) - Wants to be Lawful-Evil but can't pull it off
- 7 (3%)
Bubbles - Human/Paladin (Lawful-Good) - Yet another travelling warrior seeking redemption
- 35 (14.9%)
Emalai the Chaotic - White Elf/Summoner (Chaotic-Good) - She's just strange all the way down
- 14 (6%)
Momo - Wood Elf/Ranger (Lawful-Good) - Marigold's long-time partner and thinking-brain Elf
- 19 (8.1%)
Mai - Dark Elf/Rogue (Chaotic Neutral) - Down on her luck and trying to find her feet again
- 17 (7.2%)
Other (please specify)
- 1 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3591-3595 (16th to 20th October 2017)  (Read 27083 times)

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
Re: WCDT Strips 3591-3595 (16th to 20th October 2017)
« Reply #100 on: 20 Oct 2017, 03:25 »

Does Sam's shirt say "SNAKES TO MEET YOU" ???

What does that even mean?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #101 on: 20 Oct 2017, 03:39 »

That she likes ophidians more than she likes humans.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Technoir

• Plantmonster
« Reply #102 on: 20 Oct 2017, 05:00 »

IT'S BEEN DRIVING ME CRAZY ALL FREAKIN' ARC!!!!

C'mon Jeph! TELLLLLUUSSSSSSSS!

Sorry. I've had a lot of coffee already this morning. Itsmakingmealittleoverstimulatedandbabbly.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #103 on: 20 Oct 2017, 05:22 »

I mean, I'm not even overly concerned about why Punchbot had his keys in his mouth.
If you don't wear clothes you haven't got pockets. Bearing in mind no issues with hygiene, taste (probably) or saliva (I assume) its probably a handy way for a robot to carry small items.

A commentary I've seen on 5th century BC greek comedies explained the basis of one gag as being that in that era people put their loose change in their mouths to carry it.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #104 on: 20 Oct 2017, 05:26 »

Its the trading name of the Northampton herpetological petting zoo...

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #105 on: 20 Oct 2017, 06:42 »

Punchbot has taken Sam under his wing.  Sort of.

What the Hell could he have tangled with?

A moose, weren't you reading? Moose can be quite dangerous after all. A moose once bit my sister.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #106 on: 20 Oct 2017, 06:57 »

Scary moose! Scary moose!

Will you do the Fan-dan-go?
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #107 on: 20 Oct 2017, 06:59 »

Well, Sam's having fun...

QuestionableIntentions

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #108 on: 20 Oct 2017, 07:00 »

Interesting to see how casually Punchbot treats his body.

We had Claire with her issues, stuff about sexiness of course and body envy from Mai.

Now we have the other extreme, someone who doesn't really give a shit.

dsvella

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #109 on: 20 Oct 2017, 07:07 »

I am going to make a few assumptions as JJ hasn't touched on it much in the comic but I can imagine that someone like Punchbot (who has a very industrial body) probably is used to getting repaired. Think back to all the injuries  (both on and off camera) that he has had fixed by Bubbles and Faye.

Additionally, I wonder if ALL AIs see their bodies the same way we see cars. A useful but external thing.

Also my (rather boring) thought on how PB got injured is; he was on site at a factory helping with some accounts, was crossing the floor and something hit him.
If Jeph ever draws full-on nudity or god help us all explicit sex, the forums will explode in a sticky, faintly bleach-smelling manner.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #110 on: 20 Oct 2017, 07:29 »

A moose, weren't you reading? Moose can be quite dangerous after all. A moose once bit my sister.

Did she become a weremoose?

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #111 on: 20 Oct 2017, 08:29 »

Weremoose?
(click to show/hide)
There moose! 
(click to show/hide)
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #112 on: 20 Oct 2017, 08:53 »

moose bites Kan be pretti nasti...
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

tustin2121

• Plantmonster
« Reply #113 on: 20 Oct 2017, 09:24 »

We had Claire with her issues, stuff about sexiness of course and body envy from Mai.

Now we have the other extreme, someone who doesn't really give a shit.

You forgot poor Officer Basilisk, who fainted at the mere thought of a disembodied part of her, while Punchbot happily carries his own arm over to Faye for reattachment.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #114 on: 20 Oct 2017, 11:11 »

Which is an interesting thought. Roko has had the same chassis since she first became self aware. It has literally been with her her entire life. Many of the other AI we've known of in the comic have changed chassis at least once. Momo, May and Winston have all changed. There are chains of retail stores devoted to AnthroPC chassis sales. Other AIs talking about swapping bodies as they change careers. Roko seems to be the odd one out here who is attached to their chassis in such a way. Most others look at them as vehicles for their intelligences.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #115 on: 20 Oct 2017, 11:26 »

Melon seemed fairly perturbed about her butt falling off, but, then, who wouldn't be?

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #116 on: 20 Oct 2017, 11:27 »

Wow, that is one laid back robot, apparently nothing bothers him.  Nice contrast to Roko.

Storel

« Reply #117 on: 20 Oct 2017, 11:36 »

moose bites Kan be pretti nasti...

Actually, moose are a lot bigger and stronger than most people realize. The moose could have ripped Punchbot's arm off pretty casually -- if it had been really mad at him, there might not have been very much left of him!

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #118 on: 20 Oct 2017, 14:35 »

I am going to make a few assumptions as JJ hasn't touched on it much in the comic but I can imagine that someone like Punchbot (who has a very industrial body) probably is used to getting repaired. Think back to all the injuries  (both on and off camera) that he has had fixed by Bubbles and Faye.

That would be my bet. That and his perpetually cheerful attitude. This sort of thing clearly happens a lot, and he's okay with it.

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #119 on: 20 Oct 2017, 16:18 »

You have to wonder about whether Punchbot's chassis is really viable to fix - it might be technically repairable, but one suspects that a car with such damage would be an insurance write-off. Beyond the cost of repair (parts & labour) itself, there's also how long it will take to make good.

SotFX

• Plantmonster
« Reply #120 on: 20 Oct 2017, 16:39 »

Wow, that is one laid back robot, apparently nothing bothers him.  Nice contrast to Roko.

Part of the situation is that we're not seeing the immediate aftermath of the incident.

It might also be possible that some of the emotional triggers can be switched off in a robot body, especially since a lot of the chassis like his are seemingly more designed for more industrial work even if Punchbot isn't in one.

Hell, that would actually be a very good "safety" feature for bots that can feel pain or some of the extreme emotional responses. For example, being able to not panic and make an injury worse if you can keep your head. Things like a nailgun misfire into someones foot and into the floor, yanking that foot around is going to both make things worse for you, but also cause a lot more pain and make it harder to get out.

Having a safeguard installed to deal with that might make sense.

With things like the butt falling off, well, that's more malfunction than damage in the way it happens, even if you still need repair after it. Same as both being sick and injured tend to lead to the doctors...

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #121 on: 20 Oct 2017, 17:32 »

Jeph said in one Q&A that they don't feel pain but they've absofragginlutely GOT to have damage sensors. The world is not safe.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #122 on: 20 Oct 2017, 22:26 »

That is the best of both worlds. You get the functional response of pain without any of the negative emotions surrounding it.

Of course, that does apparently lead into casual dismemberment, but if the AI in question doesn't care, I guess it's ok.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #123 on: 21 Oct 2017, 01:44 »

Jeph said in one Q&A that they don't feel pain but they've absofragginlutely GOT to have damage sensors. The world is not safe.
Whoever manufactured May's body cheaped out on the sensors; she was wholly unaware she had an arm fall off one time. Which likely also means her chassis either doesn’t have proprioception, or just doesn’t pass the data to her. Which seems ridiculous on the face of it….
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #124 on: 21 Oct 2017, 01:50 »

Or possibly, because the arm has been chronically damaged, the sensors had been going off for some time and she'd simply learned to ignore them. Which, I guess, is the down side of not having pain to compel you to do something about it.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #125 on: 21 Oct 2017, 09:21 »

Whoever manufactured May's body cheaped out on the sensors; she was wholly unaware she had an arm fall off one time. Which likely also means her chassis either doesn’t have proprioception, or just doesn’t pass the data to her. Which seems ridiculous on the face of it….
Yup, or the circuitry just plain failed.

May's chassis is the AI equivalent of the cheap suit of clothes prisoners used to be issued upon release from the penitentiary.  It'll look okay just long enough to get the wearer through one job interview.  Hell, for all we know it was built in the pen, next door to the license plate shop.

dsvella

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #126 on: 21 Oct 2017, 10:21 »

You have to wonder about whether Punchbot's chassis is really viable to fix - it might be technically repairable, but one suspects that a car with such damage would be an insurance write-off. Beyond the cost of repair (parts & labour) itself, there's also how long it will take to make good.

Now there's an interesting question, do AI's have an equivalent of health insurance? I am imagining something like car insurance but with more things covered.

In any case, the loss of an arm coupled with the side of your body torn off it something pretty major. I wonder how PB will take the news?

Or possibly, because the arm has been chronically damaged, the sensors had been going off for some time and she'd simply learned to ignore them. ...

Hell, the number of stories that I have heard with people "manning up" through the pain when they should've gotten something checked out is scary (myself included). I'm even friends with a guy who has suffered long-term pain issues and it's kinda warped his perception of it since its kinda normal to him.
If Jeph ever draws full-on nudity or god help us all explicit sex, the forums will explode in a sticky, faintly bleach-smelling manner.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #127 on: 21 Oct 2017, 10:50 »

In any case, the loss of an arm coupled with the side of your body torn off it something pretty major. I wonder how PB will take the news?

I'm pretty sure that I know this one. 
Punchbot:  Again!?
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

JohnTheWysard

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #128 on: 21 Oct 2017, 16:38 »

She's female, so it would have been a weredoe.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #129 on: 21 Oct 2017, 18:10 »

She's female, so it would have been a weredoe.

If you want to be pedantic, get it right, she would be a werecow. (Male moose are called bulls, female cows and the young are called calves)

But considering the topic, you use the species to denote the creatures name, not the gender. Especially considering that the more commonly known creature, the werewolf, comes from the Old English "werwulf", where "wer" meant "Man" and obviously I don't need to explain what "wulf" means. Otherwise, you'd have wereshe-wolves and that's actually a bit of a mouthful to say.

So yeah, after thoroughly ruining your joke, you end up with a brief language lesson. I'm sure the class appreciates the attempt.

JohnTheWysard

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #130 on: 22 Oct 2017, 16:13 »

So yeah, after thoroughly ruining your joke, you end up with a brief language lesson. I'm sure the class appreciates the attempt.
Hey, yeah! Fangs a lot!

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #131 on: 23 Oct 2017, 04:31 »

Word of the day!
Have a cookie!
(Hell, have TWO!)

Covenant

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #132 on: 23 Oct 2017, 08:10 »

Word of the day!
Have a cookie!
(Hell, have TWO!)
It's what Trooper Roko is testing when she tells a meat person to stand feet together, head tipped back, arms out, and touch the tip of your nose.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #133 on: 23 Oct 2017, 09:38 »

Word of the day!
Have a cookie!
(Hell, have TWO!)
It's what Trooper Roko is testing when she tells a meat person to stand feet together, head tipped back, arms out, and touch the tip of your nose.

It is...

But I just LOVE the word!
You NEVER see it used!  :)
Covenant

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier
« Reply #134 on: 23 Oct 2017, 09:43 »

Sam can be very charming when she wants to be. Quite disarming.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #135 on: 23 Oct 2017, 17:24 »

Yeah, you don't even want to honk at a moose on or near the road. Bull moose will charge.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #136 on: 23 Oct 2017, 23:20 »

It's quite clear that a lot of posters on this thread have never read the Swedish subtitles that somehow made it onto the English theatrical release of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
~~~~

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #137 on: 23 Oct 2017, 23:31 »

You know they weren't actually in Swedish, right? That they were joke subtitles? They didn't "somehow make it"?

Anyway, sticking my neck out, but I'm pretty confident almost everyone here has seen them.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #138 on: 23 Oct 2017, 23:36 »

@Tova,

There is such a thing as 'playing along with the joke'.
~~~~

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #139 on: 23 Oct 2017, 23:38 »

Sorry, it went sailing over my head.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #140 on: 24 Oct 2017, 01:27 »

Stop it! This thread is very silly!
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #141 on: 24 Oct 2017, 05:54 »

And now for something completely different
(click to show/hide)
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #142 on: 24 Oct 2017, 08:36 »

And now for something completely different
(click to show/hide)

That's never a willow.
(too obscure?)
Covenant

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #143 on: 24 Oct 2017, 13:03 »

My brain hurts.  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #144 on: 25 Oct 2017, 02:43 »

Covenant

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #145 on: 25 Oct 2017, 05:21 »

SHUT UP!

I didn't expect the spanish inquisition, but...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #146 on: 25 Oct 2017, 05:25 »

SHUT UP!

I didn't expect the spanish inquisition.

Don't they have a new theory on the Brontosaurus?
Covenant

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #147 on: 26 Oct 2017, 21:32 »

The only way this could be funnier is if Bubbles says this with the Humungus voice. 

dutchrvl

« Reply #148 on: 27 Oct 2017, 08:48 »

in 3594, what's the piece of paper that Faye is holding in the first panel? It looks like it says something like "welding certification program", which would be good, indicating they are taking their business very seriously.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #149 on: 27 Nov 2017, 03:56 »

Poll Results Post
QC D&D - Who is Your Questing Party?

1. Bubbles - Human/Paladin (Lawful-Good) - Yet another travelling warrior seeking redemption - 35 (14.9%)
2. Hannelore - Human/Cleric (Lawful-Good) w. Berserker alt persona (Chaotic-Evil) - Primary weapon is shovel - 30 (12.8%)
3. Faye - Human/Barbarian w. secondary crafting skill-set (Chaotic-Good) - Trying to find a place in the world - 26 (11.1%)
4. Claire - Human/Mage (Lawful-Good) - In the final stage of her studies for her Mastery - 21 (8.9%)
5. Momo - Wood Elf/Ranger (Lawful-Good) - Marigold's long-time partner and thinking-brain Elf - 19 (8.1%)
6. Marten - Human/Bard (Lawful-Neutral) - The archetypal Hapless Pawn of the Higher Powers - 18 (7.7%)

7. Mai - Dark Elf/Rogue (Chaotic Neutral) - Down on her luck and trying to find her feet again - 17 (7.2%)
8. Steve - Human/Fighter (Lawful-Neutral) - Freelancer sell-sword - 16 (6.8%)
9. Emalai the Chaotic - White Elf/Summoner (Chaotic-Good) - She's just strange all the way down - 14 (6%)
10. Marigold - Orc/Fighter (True Neutral) - A cobbler's daughter who wants to be a barbarian - 11 (4.7%)
=11. Pintsize - Halfling/Rogue (Chaotic-Good) - The source of most of Marten's everyday problems - 10 (4.3%)
=11. Dora - Human/Merchant (True Neutral) - Treasure-hunter in her spare time - 10 (4.3%)
13. Dale - Human/Fighter (Lawful-Good) - Wants to be Lawful-Evil but can't pull it off - 7 (3%)
14. Other (please specify) - 1 (0.4%)

So! There are our hapless heroes that are all that stand between the Lands of the Free and the Dark. Bubbles, Hanners, Faye, Claire, Momo and Marten. I'll let those more knowledgable about fantasy role-playing games talk about how balanced this line-up would be but I have to admit that it would lead to some very interesting character interactions!
~~~~

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up