THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 02:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's going to happen this week?

More hijinks from Sam and inadvertently gets in the way.
Punchbot falls to pieces over the repairs.
Pintsize arrives for his weekly defrosting.
Jeph moves onto a different storyline.
Steve and Cosette eat a new type of cereal.
Something something humorous and witty comment.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3596-3600 (23rd October - 27th October 2017)  (Read 42324 times)

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
Re: WCDT Strips 3596-3600 (23rd October - 27th October 2017)
« Reply #50 on: 23 Oct 2017, 17:01 »

Uh oh, Boss came down here. Kinda like Klaus von Wolfenbach.

Personally, I was rather thinking of 'Orbital Railgun Justice', but I'll admit that lacks a Girl Genius reference or two.

Chapeau!  :-D
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #51 on: 23 Oct 2017, 17:13 »

For those of you wondering, he likely violated Wheaton's Law - something near and dear to Our Boss.

"Don't be a dick."
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #52 on: 23 Oct 2017, 17:19 »

I love the expressions in this strip.
Expressive faces are expressive!
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #53 on: 23 Oct 2017, 17:33 »

Infernal!

Just got done browsing the first page of this thread. Thanks for givng that turd sandwich the boot.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #54 on: 23 Oct 2017, 18:16 »

Oh, new comic. Quick Bubbles, distract her with something shiny!

Yeah, Sam would definitely be one of those kids I would have attempted to distract by jangling keys or using a reflection off my watch or pointing to something in the distance and running away while they looked away...

SotFX

• Plantmonster
« Reply #55 on: 23 Oct 2017, 19:27 »

I feel ashamed that I shared a screen name with that weirdo...

On the topic of fax machines, I heard a piece on the radio recently that their continued use by doctors is becoming an issue.  But change is hard because they offer some level of security, and all the equivalents aren't as universally accepted.
There's a few doctors that are essentially shifting to a modified printer/scanner combo that functions basically the same, but stores backup copies as files.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #56 on: 23 Oct 2017, 20:38 »

For those of you wondering, he likely violated Wheaton's Law - something near and dear to Our Boss.

"Don't be a dick."

In this case there'd be a bit more precision in "don't be creepy".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

N_Zephyr

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #57 on: 23 Oct 2017, 20:49 »

On the topic of fax machines, I heard a piece on the radio recently that their continued use by doctors is becoming an issue.  But change is hard because they offer some level of security, and all the equivalents aren't as universally accepted.

I (currently) work in the IT Dept for a Healthcare company. Faxes aren't always all that secure. In fact, if our Sysadmins are to be believed, they're actually a pretty decent security risk, as that's another connection/line that needs security and monitoring. Larger companies have even more issues.

Our department hates faxes with a passion, that much I can tell you. The Doctors don't switch primarily because 1) other companies still use them and 2) in my personal experience, doctors are extremely resistent to change, especially when they're the stockholders like in our company.

But, to be on topic, Sam's behavior isn't really all that unusual for someone at 14. Undesired, perhaps. A little on the extreme side, certainly, at least sometimes. But I still remember what my friends (and enemies) in middle and high school were like. It wasn't all that off from how Sam generally acts.

I'm more worried about Punchbot. He didn't just lose his arm; a good chunk of his side was completely torn off, the inside exposed. There's so many ways being prone to this sort of thing could be a problem, even for an AI/Robot.

Gyrre

« Reply #58 on: 23 Oct 2017, 21:09 »

*pats Bubbles' shoulder sympathetically*

It happened to me too when I mentioned that I knew how to spot and handle snapping turtles to my cousin's kids.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #59 on: 23 Oct 2017, 21:22 »

But, to be on topic, Sam's behavior isn't really all that unusual for someone at 14. Undesired, perhaps. A little on the extreme side, certainly, at least sometimes. But I still remember what my friends (and enemies) in middle and high school were like. It wasn't all that off from how Sam generally acts.

Hells, I'm surprised that I even survived my teenage years.  Sam *does* remind me of people I know with pretty serious ADHD, and in real life, is one of those sorts of people I could probably handle in small doses, lest I go mad.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #60 on: 23 Oct 2017, 21:34 »

What was that thing that Bubbles just squished?  At first I thought Sam was annoying her enough to crush an inanimate object, but it looks like she was just compacting it for the recycle bin.

And hurry up and discover boys, Sam.  That's where all that energy's supposed to be going.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #61 on: 23 Oct 2017, 22:07 »

REALLY bad timing for that last line there.  Hopefully Sam will find *some* way to channel that enthusiasm in a manner that is interesting/useful.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #62 on: 23 Oct 2017, 22:30 »

What was that thing that Bubbles just squished?  At first I thought Sam was annoying her enough to crush an inanimate object, but it looks like she was just compacting it for the recycle bin.
Part of Punchbot’s shoulder joint. First panel of http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3595
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #63 on: 23 Oct 2017, 23:17 »

I'm getting the impression that Bubbles doesn't like Sam. It's just the impression I get from panel 5 - that she's regretting giving Sam a reason to want to associate with her in the future. I'm not sure if it's personal (Sam's simple force of personality and hyperkinetic nature isn't for everyone; she put off Veronica at one time, IIRC) or if she just doesn't like kids in general. However, we've also learned of a chink in her armour: She doesn't like letting people think that there is anything that she can't do!

Now, can someone please tell me what that poor engine piston did to Bubbles that it should suffer such a grizzly death in panel 2? I'm guessing that she and Faye have a couple of crates of scrap that she's trying to recycle into raw materials.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #64 on: 23 Oct 2017, 23:36 »

Dislike is a bit strong.  I think Bubbles might be wary of her since it was a bunch of teens that caused a minor breakdown.  They can be the worst, but Sam isn't one of them. 

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #65 on: 24 Oct 2017, 00:58 »

Sam's state of mind is known as 'youthful enthusiasm'. It is not something wrong. Its the starting point for Nobel prices and gold medals. And it's the task of the tribe -every non-young person around- to be the helmet/safety net/soft floor mat.

Bubbles is not too sure about her ability to be a soft floor mat, that is her worry in the last frame.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #66 on: 24 Oct 2017, 02:40 »

Oh, new comic. Quick Bubbles, distract her with something shiny!

Yeah, Sam would definitely be one of those kids I would have attempted to distract by jangling keys or using a reflection off my watch or pointing to something in the distance and running away while they looked away...

A kid actually interested by stuff you show them, and not by their smartphone? How better could they come? Enthusiasm is not a flaw.
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Technoir

• Plantmonster
« Reply #67 on: 24 Oct 2017, 04:59 »

However, eventually that twelve year old is going to get a bit older and start being sexually aware.  Having the emotional development and values of a three year old is not going to do her any favors once that happens.  She'll be lucky if her first rapist is an 8th grader.  Unless someone teaches Sam some values, she'll likely have a succession of them.

what the fuck is wrong with you

You know "YOU DONE MESSED UP, A-A-RON!" when The Man, himself, drops in to regulate.  Welcome JJ, and thanks for relieving us of that twatwaffle.

oh, and thanks for finally revealing Sam's shirt design. When can we expect that in the merch store? :D

Technoir

• Plantmonster
« Reply #68 on: 24 Oct 2017, 05:01 »

I was going to say "A lot" but I've just noticed that they've been banned.

Literally my forum visit today:
*sees thread about unfamiliar name being banned* "Huh, wonder what that was about. Oh well, probably nothing I'd know about."
*checks this thread* "Oh hey it's that name...oh. Ooooh. Wow. WOW. Okay then. Jesus."

On a lighter note: Sam really brightened Punchbot's day! I wonder if she'll become something of a shop mascot for morale support. Goodness knows with Faye and Bubbles as the proprietors they could use a little more, um...optimistic energy? around the place.

Eh, maybe not. She brings a little too much energy for a recovery/repair atmosphere.

Sam does seem to have a keen interest in robotics and robot-wearable art.  Perhaps we'll see her apprenticing at the Robot Repair shop.  Faye could use a little responsibility upping, and Bubs is there to try and keep both of them from going off the rails into wackadoodlery and tomfoolery.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #69 on: 24 Oct 2017, 06:17 »

I made a report to the mods right before my previous post in this thread, and still contemplating emailing Jeph on the matter.

Jeph also gets the report messages, though he usually leaves them to us (not this time, though).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #70 on: 24 Oct 2017, 07:17 »

Bubbles is not too sure about her ability to be a soft floor mat, that is her worry in the last frame.
Mmm, there's a whole load of implied and effective responsibilities that go with having an early teens adolescent round the place, and some folks do find it worrying. And in Bubbles case she's never been an adolescent human herself, so most likely way way out of any comfort zone. We shouldn't forget, too, that Bubbles has not had much time in comfort zones lately.

Rincewind

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad
« Reply #71 on: 24 Oct 2017, 10:40 »

Bubbles might not be comfortable accompanying a young human to a potentially hazardous situation.  Might bring back memories from what happened to her squad-mates.

A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #72 on: 24 Oct 2017, 11:37 »

Welcome N_Zephyr!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #73 on: 24 Oct 2017, 21:03 »

Sam, robo-tattoo artist.  Wonder what Jim will think of her new career? :D

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #74 on: 24 Oct 2017, 23:18 »

Well, we all wondered what particular talent Sam would bring to Union Robotics and now we know: Some synthetics are into hull inking and Sam is the hand and eye that is setting the trend without knowing it! I'm wondering if, in a later strip, Punchbot will thank Sam for making him a trend-setter for the first time in his life! :-D

I can't help now but find myself wondering who Greybot is. I mean, the team at the chassis shop said they had a style for every personality but I just wonder what he does in his 'everyday' life.

Finally: Bubbles expression is somehow worth 1,000 words today. I've got the feeling that she's felt the rip-tide of social trends about to sweep away her assumptions about reality and she really doesn't know what she thinks about that!
~~~~

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #75 on: 24 Oct 2017, 23:25 »

Wonder if May is going to be jealous if they were to hire Sam to do chassis tattoos.  Union Robotics doesn't have a lot of extra money, but if they start coming because of her artwork then she'd be worth the expense in a way that May's dancing routine would not. 

lawoot

• Plantmonster
« Reply #76 on: 24 Oct 2017, 23:49 »

Looks like the New Yorker has the seen the future of the QC Universe...

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #77 on: 25 Oct 2017, 01:58 »

As with the holo-doctor, why does one of those robots use a tablet? I think the most egregious examples are the cyborgs and androids from Ghost in the Shell that interface with computers through keyboards like this.

So... robo-hipsters are a thing. I suppose it was inevitable.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #78 on: 25 Oct 2017, 02:16 »

No - YOU'RE spending too much time looking at frame two of Faye leaning on the cattle truck....!
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #79 on: 25 Oct 2017, 03:11 »

Cattle truck? You mean the sack-trolley?

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #80 on: 25 Oct 2017, 03:13 »

As with the holo-doctor, why does one of those robots use a tablet? I think the most egregious examples are the cyborgs and androids from Ghost in the Shell that interface with computers through keyboards like this.
I assumed the point of the manual interface in that scene was to avoid neurally interfacing with the entity that could hack minds.

I think the better question is why is that one robot drinking coffee?
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #81 on: 25 Oct 2017, 03:14 »

He's not sniffing coffee, he's visiting Unicorn Valley with a take-out tea!
~~~~

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #82 on: 25 Oct 2017, 03:18 »

He's not sniffing coffee, he's visiting Unicorn Valley with a take-out tea!

Walking around in public while tripping balls is a very bad idea.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #83 on: 25 Oct 2017, 03:22 »

My initial response to this was. No, I meant cattle truck!
(For such things were called that in the one place I ever worked that used them)

You can imagine my surprise when I went a did a quick Google and found out that (seemingly) almost NOWHERE else uses that term!

(And yet I am SURE I've seen a comic... I wanna say The Freak Brothers?... where the term cattle truck was also used and they had a cow on the *insert one of the millions of names these things actually are known by*)

ETA:
I had to look for it.. And I found it !

Now - the more astute amongst you will notice it says HAND TRUCK (although the font looks different and not as well spaced) NOT Cattle Truck!

So - I am now left wondering if I have made ALL of the above up over the last, what, 30-ish years? (I am CERTAIN that term was used in the textile mill... maybe it WAS just me!?!?!?)

And it's taken a web comic to show that!

(I must now go into my loft and find my old Freak Brothers comics and see if the original print did say "Cattle Truck" cos.. you know... that would have been the wordplay joke! Dammit!)

Aaaauuuggghhh!!!!!

(I LOVE the "Warren Commission" joke!)  :)
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2017, 03:29 by JoeCovenant »
Covenant

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #84 on: 25 Oct 2017, 03:31 »

I can't help now but find myself wondering who Greybot is.

Punkbot. His name is Punkbot. [/headcanon]

:-D
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #85 on: 25 Oct 2017, 03:45 »

sack barrow in (at least SE)  brit.

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #86 on: 25 Oct 2017, 03:52 »

Maybe Geybot/Punkbot is the drummer in a band. We may even see him soon in a story arc related to Deathmole. Assuming Deathmole still exists...

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #87 on: 25 Oct 2017, 03:59 »

sack barrow in (at least SE)  brit.

Sack-Ville Barrows in The Shire.
Covenant

dutchrvl

« Reply #88 on: 25 Oct 2017, 05:30 »

I can't help now but find myself wondering who Greybot is.

Punkbot. His name is Punkbot. [/headcanon]

:-D

Ha, the 'tin can with a shitty attitude' is back! See also comics 3576-3578 :)

I like him, he (she?) seems nice

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #89 on: 25 Oct 2017, 06:29 »

I assumed the point of the manual interface in that scene was to avoid neurally interfacing with the entity that could hack minds.

Well not everybody in the GITS universe is a cyborg. Neural Interfaces seem fairly common but are no means universal. And risky given that the threat of neural hacking and ghost diving existed before the Puppeteer. So a modification that could still work with a standard keyboard but operate much faster than human hands could would be useful in a variety of situations. Especially since they fold up into ordinary seeming hands when not in use.

Michael Chandra

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Shoot the runner
« Reply #90 on: 25 Oct 2017, 06:49 »

I am having a hard time not bursting out laughing and my coworkers are nearby so I now have to label your posts nsfw.

kallibean

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #91 on: 25 Oct 2017, 07:30 »

Since when is drawing on someone with a permanent texta a tattoo, anyway?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #92 on: 25 Oct 2017, 07:32 »

Since that someone had metal or plastic skin and traditional tattoo tools would thus be useless.
~~~~

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #93 on: 25 Oct 2017, 07:47 »

We do stretch words out of their original meanings into analogous roles.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #94 on: 25 Oct 2017, 08:29 »

Since when is drawing on someone with a permanent texta a tattoo, anyway?

It's NOT a tattoo...

"It's a SPRAY, duuuuude!"

:)
Covenant

tustin2121

• Plantmonster
« Reply #95 on: 25 Oct 2017, 08:54 »

The first thoughts that popped to mind when I read this: Are they going to charge for Sam's work? Is that ethical? They'd have to make up a price on the spot? They'd have to pay Sam then, right? It'd be under the table, because she's only 14. Is Sam going to then work more for them? What about school? Do they offer "Spray Times", which avoid school hours then? "It's Tagging Weekend! Our local artist is here to spray your chassis!" Maybe it could be more than just Sam? Maybe they could set up a venue for local spray artists? What would Sam think about her work being sold? What would Sam think about other artists potentially taking over her spot in spraying other robots?

Now I'm the one over thinking this comic...

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #96 on: 25 Oct 2017, 08:58 »

I forsee legal trouble.  An underage worker?  Plus, anti AI-discrimination laws probably mean sprays are subject to the same health dept regulations as tats.

Dave H

• Not quite a lurker
  • Old enough to know better, still too young to care
« Reply #97 on: 25 Oct 2017, 09:11 »

Now I'm the one over thinking this comic...

I'd think Jeph would be flattered. He's built a world that keeps us engaged even when we're not reading the comic.

If it was my shop, I'd talk to Sam and her father first and make sure he's okay with her performing work like that as well as setting hours and other rules. Then I'd suggest Sam work independently of the shop's business, setting her own rates and just paying Union Robotics a bit for space and materials. (Kind of like some beauty salons do - they rent chairs to freelance stylists.) UR gets a boost in traffic for having her on-site but isn't actually her employer so they don't need to deal with all that messy paperwork.

(Notice how I conveniently avoided addressing things like child labor laws and liability insurance. Buzzkills like that have no place in a comic strip.)
Also sprach Dave

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #98 on: 25 Oct 2017, 09:35 »

It probably only counts as child labor if she's getting paid for it.

I remember in high school we had to work somewhere as unpaid internship for a few weeks. I ended up working in a computer shop with someone thinking I would have to assemble computers. Except they let us clean the shop for 2 days until we got reassigned to another workplace.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #99 on: 25 Oct 2017, 12:13 »

Mohawk-robo made an interesting comment regarding authenticity. You'd think another robot would make some excellent sprays/tattoos bearing in mind their abilities (like perfect precision and so on). I'm probably overthinking it but I find it endearing that he wants that error on his body, understanding the beauty of more organic, human art. It could be a subconscious desire to look more like humans with all our faults.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up