- 16 (21.6%)
Coffee of DOOM stuff happens!
- 9 (12.2%)
Add your own idea in a post!
- 5 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: 12 Nov 2017, 21:38

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3601-3605 (30rd October - 3rd November 2017)  (Read 42436 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: WCDT Strips 3601-3605 (30rd October - 3rd November 2017)
« Reply #100 on: 02 Nov 2017, 02:30 »

It's interesting how highly compressed Jeph's updates are. Look at what we got this week:
  • Monday - Jim still really isn't happy with the way Sam has imprinted on Faye;
  • Tuesday - Marten still has problems with change and Claire can still be snippy when people don't meet her standards;
  • Wednesday - Marten has got over his initial fear of Bubbles; Bubbles still feels a bit of an intruder in her biological friends' lives;
  • Thursday - Faye and Claire are still butting heads a little.
As we can see, so far it has been 'character status update week'.

Now, I find myself wondering who the short blonde with glasses Jeph has been teasing on his Twitter feed may be. My guess is that she is either someone from the State government's regulatory agency, come to making sure that Union Robotics is maintaining certain standards or she is a relative/old college buddy of one of the main cast who is about to return to their lives and break its current equilibrium. IMO, this would be ideal for Marigold or maybe Tai.

"It's so attractive when a man dodges emotional labor"

"Emotional labor" and "emotional intelligence" were invented by feminists to guilt men into thinking that emotions are somehow better than real labor and real intelligence.

I can't see why women would need to do that.

In order to understand RMc's point, you need to realise the unstated part of their argument: "Women are inferior and can only gain equality through intellectually fraudulent claims of having their own criteria of intelligence and strength that are different from those used by men."
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #101 on: 02 Nov 2017, 02:32 »

As for tacos, there is such a thing as Californian tacos, it seems, which are dripping in fat and fried, so whilst they contain lettuce, they may well not be healthy in the slightest. Took a while for my partner to realise that her stepmom hadn't produced regular tacos, as neither of us are American!

Adding a bit of yellow mustard to the mix will also change the color. Especially if it's white meat. Though, I'd recommend a pinch of mustard powder per pound of meat if you're not found of prepared mustard.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #102 on: 02 Nov 2017, 02:41 »

In order to understand RMc's point, you need to realise the unstated part of their argument: "Women are inferior and can only gain equality through intellectually fraudulent claims of having their own criteria of intelligence and strength that are different from those used by men."

Thank you. My point was to force him to stand to what he is implying in an explicit manner. :)
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2017, 02:47 by traroth »
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #103 on: 02 Nov 2017, 02:59 »

The cadence of this delivery, especially the "you may have heard the shriek" reminds me of something else, but I can't put my finger on what.

Also I have a hard time believing a shriek wouldn't have had Bubbles kicking in the bathroom door, ruining another door frame.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #104 on: 02 Nov 2017, 03:07 »

Good idea, Faye. If you don't nip behaviour like that in the bud tight there, you'll clean up after them forever. (Makes sense Claire doesn't, though; she moved in with Marten right out of her mom's house)

Pennepasta

• Plantmonster
« Reply #105 on: 02 Nov 2017, 03:30 »

Interesting. Speaking as someone in a household of two longhairs, Claire doesn't have that long hair. For that much shed in the shower, either she's spending a LOT of time in there or she's not cleaning up after washing it. Sure, we have earlier evidence of Marten having shower sex, but post wash seems most likely. It's not like it's hard to get the hair out, anyway!

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #106 on: 02 Nov 2017, 03:41 »

At the moment, mine is only shoulder length, but I still shed like that.  Granted, I am the sort who ignores the drain until it gets clogged.  My hair is thick, and there is quite a lot of it, and when I *do* clean it out, it's more like a tribble than a spider.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #107 on: 02 Nov 2017, 03:56 »

Redheads shed hair. A lot.

And Bubbles must have been out of the apartment, since the Faye Threat Protocol would have been activated. (She wouldn't have bothered with the door, she'd have gone straight through the wall.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Pennepasta

• Plantmonster
« Reply #108 on: 02 Nov 2017, 04:12 »

Maybe one redhead with shoulder length hair sheds more than one person with ~waist length and one with ~classic length hair; I guess she does wear it down a lot. Seems extreme for one or two days shed in the shower, though; it can't be a gradual buildup, else it would have been noticed before getting to the fist-sized bundle stage, mainly by clogging the drain. Guess it depends how much it's up, how much she looks after it, brushes it etc..

The shower's one of those over bath types, right? So that'll funnel the hair down much quicker than a cubicle type shower only one, where it'll get stuck on the wall for a while, which will speed things up.

kallibean

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #109 on: 02 Nov 2017, 05:07 »

... It's not that redheads shed more, it's that because her hair is a different colour it's obviously hers. If it was black-or-brown when wet, and composed of short bits it could have come from anyone or built up from more than one person. Everyone sheds hair, this is a fact. When one has had hair down, there's less shedding in the shower, because it falls out on stuff - on clothes, on the ground, etc., during the day (this is why CSI shows love looking for hairs and checking for the root, because human hair shedding is like pet hair shedding, just we don't sleep on our favourite jumpers the day before we want to wear them). If it's been up, or braided, all that comes out at once. Another time lots comes out at once is when people whose hair likes being washed once-twice a week wash their hair. For wash-every-day people, there's a little bit a day when loose hair comes out, but if one washes once a week, the hair that hasn't fallen out (it was just loose, it was tangled or tied back, etc) all comes out at once. So, if Claire's a wash-once-or-twice-a-week hair type, then yeah.

What I don't understand is why nobody's learned the trick for not getting hair in the drain, or pulled Claire aside and explained it at some point (especially as Claire didn't exactly grow up with female beauty routines being shoved in her face). It's not -that- hard, and there's usually enough that you see it to take with you and put in the trash. I know it's not exceedingly common knowledge, because I had to get my parents to intervene with a landlady on my behalf when she wouldn't rent to me because I had long hair and she was terrified of it clogging the drain, but still, it's something most people who take more than ten seconds and 2-in-1 on washing their hair have at least figured out for themselves. Then again, most QC people have short hair, so...

(In case it's a mystery to people here - when you have hair that's more than about 10cm long, the hairs that shed when you wash it tend to get caught on your hands or stick to you, and you can just stick them on the wall and take the hairball with you when you're done. They don't get near the drain, and all you need is a tiny bit of tile or glass (tile is better) and the water/steam will hold it there until the hair dries. Now, maybe Claire does know this and just forgot to snatch it up because she was distracted, but Faye's reaction makes me suspect this was not the first time.)

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #110 on: 02 Nov 2017, 06:25 »

@kallibean
I don't think it was your method,  Faye mentioned that the Hairspider was at her feet (granted, could have washed down), and also, I'm curious.
I've never heard of the "stick the hair to the wall" thing, but usually you have kind of a net/sieve in the drain where all that hair lands, and can be cleaned up afterwards.  Anything that'll clog the drain is caught, so I was assuming that Claire just didn't clean up after herself.

kallibean

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #111 on: 02 Nov 2017, 06:35 »

@swapna

They only stick while there's moisture around, and since Faye's shower was long enough afte Claire's for Claire to have dry hair and be settled in with headphones, it could well have fallen down after being forgotten, especially if the fan is hardwired to the light or something which causes the residual humidity to be very quickly removed from the air.

And yes, drains don't tend to be open holes. But hair is pretty thin, and it's a lot more difficult (and usually more disgusting to the touch, ugh) to yank it out of the drain than it is for it to not get to the drain in the first place. Unless you're talking about something that's placed over the drain specifically for catching hair and is removed per instance, like a dryer lint filter? That, we don't generally have here, hence the wall method.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #112 on: 02 Nov 2017, 06:46 »

Who read this thread, realized they haven't cleaned the drains in a while, then promptly did so?

Who realized they are a disgusting mess?

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #113 on: 02 Nov 2017, 08:22 »

This conflict isn't over. If Claire really does shed a lot like she says, Faye's gonna be finding her hair all over the apartment.

Wait 'till she find's one of Claire's hairs in her morning cup of coffee. Hilarity will ensue, that's for certain.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

tustin2121

• Plantmonster
« Reply #114 on: 02 Nov 2017, 08:41 »

More fun camera angles from Jeph: yay!

Spider hair: ewwwwwwwww....

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #115 on: 02 Nov 2017, 09:41 »

@swapna

They only stick while there's moisture around, and since Faye's shower was long enough afte Claire's for Claire to have dry hair and be settled in with headphones, it could well have fallen down after being forgotten, especially if the fan is hardwired to the light or something which causes the residual humidity to be very quickly removed from the air.

And yes, drains don't tend to be open holes. But hair is pretty thin, and it's a lot more difficult (and usually more disgusting to the touch, ugh) to yank it out of the drain than it is for it to not get to the drain in the first place. Unless you're talking about something that's placed over the drain specifically for catching hair and is removed per instance, like a dryer lint filter? That, we don't generally have here, hence the wall method.

yeah, I was talking about drain filters (amazon has a reasonable selection, although i'd stay away from the fine nets, and go for the stainless steel thingies with holes punched in them). I never had a problem with clogged drains or yucky stuff inside the drain.

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #116 on: 02 Nov 2017, 14:37 »

Honestly, the only reason Faye noticed is because it nudged against her foot. So who knows how many days/weeks that thing was accumulating before it broke free and 'attacked' Faye.

I imagine Claire is just careless about it, and Martin being an ex-bachelore doesn't particularly care all that much about shower hygene, He and Faye have always had relatively short hair, so this wasn't even a problem to look out for.

Adjustments will be made.

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #117 on: 02 Nov 2017, 14:40 »

Who read this thread, realized they haven't cleaned the drains in a while, then promptly did so?

I am a 30YO in a house full of 18-22 college guys. The level of disgusting that is established in this house is epic. I've given up any attempts to keep this place clean beyond the basic minimum. Shorthairs in the shower are just a fact of life now. It only gets strange when they're an unnatural color, like purple or green.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #118 on: 02 Nov 2017, 16:22 »

As a long hair living with a short hair, I can say length is only part of the equation for shedding. Individual long hair strands might be more noticeable if left but there is definitely more short hair around the place in general in this house. I guess it's the combination of whatever your body chemistry means for hair shedding and the cleaning diligence of what does shed.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #119 on: 02 Nov 2017, 16:23 »

This conflict isn't over. If Claire really does shed a lot like she says, Faye's gonna be finding her hair all over the apartment.

Wait 'till she find's one of Claire's hairs in her morning cup of coffee. Hilarity will ensue, that's for certain.

Not as far as the coffee, but I suspect that this is the start of a relationship in the comic starting to sour. Its a small thing but it could potentially be something that snowballs.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #120 on: 02 Nov 2017, 16:31 »

If history is any indicator in this comic, the start of The End was when Claire moved in.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #121 on: 02 Nov 2017, 16:41 »

Conflict doesn't always lead to an ending - it can lead into a period of learning, reassessment, and reconciliation, leading to a renewed and possibly strengthened relationship.  In other words: growth.

History can take us only so far - the characters (and Jeph!) have come a long way since the early days of the comic; and older characters can be expected to react differently from their younger selves..
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheEvilDog

« Reply #122 on: 02 Nov 2017, 17:43 »

Conflict doesn't always lead to an ending - it can lead into a period of learning, reassessment, and reconciliation, leading to a renewed and possibly strengthened relationship.  In other words: growth.

History can take us only so far - the characters (and Jeph!) have come a long way since the early days of the comic; and older characters can be expected to react differently from their younger selves..

I would certainly agree with you were any other characters involved but considering that Marten is directly involved, I'm going to have to disagree. There have been multiple discussions at length about Marten and the fact that he hasn't shown any growth, because he's never had to. He's flittered with choices, hummed and hawed about decisions, but ultimately the Marten of 2017 is still largely the same as Marten of 2003 and the Marten of 2010. That's Marten's role, to serve as the universal constant while everyone changes and grows around him.

I imagine that the hair is just the beginning as Claire and Faye spend more time sharing the apartment with both of them radically different personalities and how they deal with people. Add to that that while both of them care about Marten, neither Claire or Faye are that friendly towards each other.

If things do get worse and they go to Marten, I get the feeling that Claire will be the loser by a wide margin.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #123 on: 02 Nov 2017, 18:19 »

I am a 30YO in a house full of 18-22 college guys. The level of disgusting that is established in this house is epic. I've given up any attempts to keep this place clean beyond the basic minimum. Shorthairs in the shower are just a fact of life now. It only gets strange when they're an unnatural color, like purple or green.

My condolences, and I hope it gets better. I'm not spotless, but the place isn't a biohazard. Mostly. :venonat:

Mommas, don't let your babies grow up, to be messy.
Because they're risking disease, and they'll never be clean
So make them at least nod at hygiene.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #124 on: 02 Nov 2017, 20:21 »

Look out, it looks like Matchmaker Claire may be about to spring into action. 

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #125 on: 02 Nov 2017, 20:23 »

Maybe our next strip, or one coming relatively soon, will be Marten and Claire talking about their conversations with Faye and Bubbles and putting two and two together.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #126 on: 02 Nov 2017, 20:25 »

Can't see this backfiring in any way shape or form. :roll:

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #127 on: 02 Nov 2017, 20:31 »

I would certainly agree with you were any other characters involved but considering that Marten is directly involved, I'm going to have to disagree. There have been multiple discussions at length about Marten and the fact that he hasn't shown any growth, because he's never had to. He's flittered with choices, hummed and hawed about decisions, but ultimately the Marten of 2017 is still largely the same as Marten of 2003 and the Marten of 2010. That's Marten's role, to serve as the universal constant while everyone changes and grows around him.

I imagine that the hair is just the beginning as Claire and Faye spend more time sharing the apartment with both of them radically different personalities and how they deal with people. Add to that that while both of them care about Marten, neither Claire or Faye are that friendly towards each other.

If things do get worse and they go to Marten, I get the feeling that Claire will be the loser by a wide margin.

I have to say that you're drawing a very long bow from perfectly-normal-roomie-quibble -> major conflict -> them deciding to get Marten involved of all people -> Marten choosing one side over the other. They are all pretty significant leaps.

As much as we all love to see a nice juicy bit of drama.

Actually, the most likely leap is the getting-Marten-involved bit, and that's because he's actually calm and clear-eyed in such situations. Regardless of his inability to grow himself.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #128 on: 02 Nov 2017, 20:45 »

Geeze Faye. If you keep feeding Claire things like that she's going to burst.

Mojo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #129 on: 02 Nov 2017, 20:50 »

Oh, geez.  She's going to try hooking Faye up with Steve, isn't she?

:claireface:

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #130 on: 02 Nov 2017, 20:57 »

I don't think anyone knows about Steve's past as Secret Agent Man except Marten.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #131 on: 02 Nov 2017, 20:59 »

From the smile on Claire's face in the last panel, I think she's going to set Faye up with bubbles.
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Gyrre

« Reply #132 on: 02 Nov 2017, 21:36 »

New comic

Que me dropping my phone, saying "gaddammit", and being greatful for my late lunch and an empty breakroom.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #133 on: 02 Nov 2017, 22:20 »

From the smile on Claire's face in the last panel, I think she's going to set Faye up with bubbles.

Oh my. That makes so much sense.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #134 on: 02 Nov 2017, 22:42 »

If ever there was a time to animate this so Claire winks at the readers this would be it. 

Just hope this doesn't backfire like it did with Clinton and Emily. 

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #135 on: 02 Nov 2017, 23:10 »

Took me longer than it should've to get this comic. Bravo, Jeph. Brav-F***ING-O. lol

O, but Claire gets no points for holding her tongue. That was pure self-preservation, right there.  :lol:

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #136 on: 02 Nov 2017, 23:30 »

Took me longer than it should've to get this comic. Bravo, Jeph. Brav-F***ING-O. lol

Same here. But I just got up...

So Claire is totally aware of the situation, now.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #137 on: 03 Nov 2017, 00:29 »

So, here we learn two important things about human interaction:
  • Confirmation bias is a thing - Remember that Claire is already a Faybles shipper, so there is actually not as much significance to what Faye is saying than we're being presented. However, from Claire's perspective, she's hearing just what she wants to hear!
  • Familiarity breeds contempt - Or, more accurately, it creates neat little categorisations in our mind that stops us from thinking about friends in new ways. For Faye, Bubbles is her best friend and business partner. The fact that she's just described her as ticking several attraction and ideal relationship partner boxes literally has not occurred to her!
Overall, I'm sure that not going 'SQUEEE!' was literally the hardest thing that Claire has ever done. As frustrating as it is, though, I need to caution her to patience. This is definitely something that Faye and Bubbles need to do in their own time; remember how interfering nearly ruined her relationship with Clinton!

It is nice to see Faye and Claire just getting along. They have a rocky relationship really and really press the wrong buttons with each other in a lot of ways but they do have common ground and, so long as they make an effort, they can manage.
~~~~

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #138 on: 03 Nov 2017, 00:45 »

Not into Bros?!? Awwww!

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #139 on: 03 Nov 2017, 02:34 »

I don't think anyone knows about Steve's past as Secret Agent Man except Marten.
Well, Cosette does, at least after Torturas latest visit. (3428)
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #140 on: 03 Nov 2017, 03:03 »

While reading today's comic I imagined the Bros offscreen in panel 4 sadly chanting, "BrosBrosBros :("

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #141 on: 03 Nov 2017, 03:23 »

The gentlest way for Claire to break that is to just casually mention: "You do know you just described Bubbles, right?"

That said, the good (well, it's at least "not problematic") ship Faybles hasn't launched yet, Claire... don't sink it while trying to get it out of port.
Just going through life.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #142 on: 03 Nov 2017, 03:32 »

Speaking of firefighters... In panel 2, Faye is picking up Claire's book. And in panel 3, she turns it sideways. What kind of book is that?

Must be an atlas...

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #143 on: 03 Nov 2017, 03:38 »

The gentlest way for Claire to break that is to just casually mention: "You do know you just described Bubbles, right?"

Worst. Idea. Ever.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #144 on: 03 Nov 2017, 03:55 »

Anyone else think the artwork for this strip looks a bit off?

Like... someone trying to draw in J.J.s style but not quite getting it?

Claire in panel one and Claire and especially Faye in panel two look really 'off'.

And Claire's close-ups in 3 and 4 look like quite deviation to 'model'.
I know everyone has changed as the strip progresses, but this seems a very obvious alteration
(Maybe it's just the 'close-up' thing, maybe it's the 'no glasses' making her eyes look different... but even her chin looks sharper...)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Gyrre

« Reply #145 on: 03 Nov 2017, 05:18 »

I don't recall ever seeing the apartment from this angle before. They have a TV?!

Also, I'm amused that no one seems to be questioning how Pintsize is hanging from the ceiling like that.

Plunger boots(?)
a real-ass gaddam sword

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #146 on: 03 Nov 2017, 05:24 »

I don't recall ever seeing the apartment from this angle before. They have a TV?!

Also, I'm amused that no one seems to be questioning how Pintsize is hanging from the ceiling like that.

Plunger boots(?)

A long way back, Pintsize told the others that the main gripping mode of his appendages is suction cups so, yes, he can walk on ceilings.
~~~~

Tlaloc

• Larger than most fish
  • Out of Work Rain Deity
« Reply #147 on: 03 Nov 2017, 05:55 »

Friday is pure shipper bait
The point where Existentialist, Taoist and Buddhist thought meet is fascinating.

What goes on inside matters more than what goes on without? If the world beyond our skulls is a cypher that only we can provide meaning to & control is an illusion, what can we expect of ourselves or others?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #148 on: 03 Nov 2017, 06:31 »

Interesting. Speaking as someone in a household of two longhairs, Claire doesn't have that long hair. For that much shed in the shower, either she's spending a LOT of time in there or she's not cleaning up after washing it. Sure, we have earlier evidence of Marten having shower sex, but post wash seems most likely. It's not like it's hard to get the hair out, anyway!

Her hair looks curly though. My ex had reasonably long hair, but it was curly and thick and blocked my drain every month even though she didn't shower there more than once a week.

Ah, I knew I was a disgusting mess well before this thread. And I live with someone who has hair that goes past the waist, so the drains in my bathroom are a place I don't go without a flaming torch and some sort of chainsaw.

Friday is pure shipper bait

Isn't that just storyline progression in a story about relationships?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #149 on: 03 Nov 2017, 07:14 »

Oh Faye. *lol*
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up